With the 18th pick, the New York Jets select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

stugotz81

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets should not trade up in the first round. If anything, they should make a move backwards, collect more picks, then maybe use them to move up in later rounds. The "12 picks" gets thrown around all the time, but they don't have a single extra pick until the third day of the draft. They really don't have a lot of firepower to move up without really hurting their draft. They should be looking to add additional picks in the second and third rounds to take advantage of that depth, rather than give those picks away for a high first rounder they hope will prove to be elite.

A team like the 49ers has extra second and third rounders, and is allegedly interested in moving up. If there's a player at 18 that San Francisco wants, I'd be looking to cut that deal instead.

The Jets should not trade up in the first round. If anything, they should make a move backwards, collect more picks, then maybe use them to move up in later rounds. The "12 picks" gets thrown around all the time, but they don't have a single extra pick until the third day of the draft. They really don't have a lot of firepower to move up without really hurting their draft. They should be looking to add additional picks in the second and third rounds to take advantage of that depth, rather than give those picks away for a high first rounder they hope will prove to be elite.

A team like the 49ers has extra second and third rounders, and is allegedly interested in moving up. If there's a player at 18 that San Francisco wants, I'd be looking to cut that deal instead.

time will tell I guess... 

I didnt realize Ebron is originally form Jersey :)

Journal as 17 yr old from High School just before he enrolled early at UNC

Ebron Journal: 'Let Me Introduce Myself'   904962.jpg

Special to IC
Posted Feb 16, 2011

Eric Ebron, a Tar Heel tight end signee from Greensboro (N.C.) Smith, is filing weekly journal entries at Inside Carolina as he counts down to enrolling at UNC in May.

Entry #1: Introduction

First, let me introduce myself: I am a tall, goofy, athletic, and – now I would consider myself – inspirational kind of guy. I’m someone who’s fun to be around, energetic – I can’t stop bouncing off walls – and I’m someone that can be relied on. I’m just a blast, a fun guy.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to notice all that from this journal that I’ll be doing for Inside Carolina every week until I enroll at UNC in May.

From a football standpoint, I bring focus and demand. There’s a certain level you have to play at on the field with me. You have to meet my standards of energy, focus, and work ethic. I won’t say “No, it’s not possible.” I’m the type of guy that tries and tries and tries.

I was born in North New Jersey (973) and lived there for about four – maybe five – years. Then I moved to my mom’s original hometown, which is in Rhode Island (401). But now, I’m in 336, which is Greensboro, N.C.

904974.jpgWhen I played Pop Warner football, my team won two back-to-back state championships. We were just smoking teams. So my mom was like, “You’re so good at it, but you’re not going to get any shine here. I’m tired of the city. We’re moving.”

She told me that a month before we moved. I had a girlfriend at the time for about a year and I didn’t want to tell her. So I waited the week before we left to tell her. That was real stressful.

My mom said she was going to move to Florida, but it was too hot. We were going to move to Virginia, but it was still like living in the city. So she was like “In between those two, is North and South Carolina … we’re going to North Carolina.”

We moved to North Carolina in March of my freshman year.

The first thing I said when we entered North Carolina and got off the exit was “There are no sidewalks?!” In the city, there’s a sidewalk everywhere and there’s a corner store in every corner. I was like “Ah, man, I’m lost already. I don’t know what to do.”

And then I noticed the people and the way they dressed and the way they carried themselves and the ‘Ma’am’ and ‘Sir’ - I wasn’t used to that. So I had to adapt to that kind of fast because it’s respectful.

Heading into my sophomore year, I was working hard in the summer – working out with the team, lifting weights.

I started out at quarterback, but that didn’t work out. What caught my coach’s attention was when we went to a seven-on-seven and we played Parkland in Winston-Salem. The first throw was a lob in the air and I got triple-teamed and I caught it with one hand. Coach was like, “We found our player. We found just the dude we needed.”

That summer, the school said I didn’t have a credit I needed to play football. But in the Guilford County Schools rulebook, it said they were supposed to give me a credit for transferring from a traditionally scheduled school to a block scheduled school. But they didn’t know that until later. So I had to miss my sophomore season.

Following that sophomore season on the sidelines is where the story of my recruitment begins.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1048725.html

NFL DRAFT: UNC TE Eric Ebron happy to go anywhere in 1st round
May. 07, 2014 @ 05:03 PM
g2582580000000000004de0e161efc74e929c609

UNC's Eric Ebron (85) battles Miami's Deon Bush (2) and Rayshawn Jenkins in the second quarter at UNC, in 2013. (The Herald-Sun/Bernard Thomas)

CHAPEL HILL —

North Carolina junior tight end Eric Ebron caught a 13-yard pass from Marquise Williams, broke free from two would-be tacklers and outraced the Miami secondary to the end zone for a 71-yard touchdown — all in front of 37 NFL scouts and five general managers at Kenan Stadium, plus many more watching on ESPN.

It was a play that showed Ebron’s combination of power and speed, a big reason why theGreensboro native is expected to be the first tight end taken when the NFL Draft begins Thursday at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

“It looks illegal,” Ebron said of his 6-4, 250-pound frame. “It looks like it shouldn’t be on the field, but it is.”

The first round will be conducted Thursday from 8-11:30 p.m. The second and third rounds will take place Friday from 7-11:30 p.m., and Rounds 4-7 are Saturday from noon-8 p.m.

Ebron is listed as the 10th best prospect by Scouts Inc. and is projected to go between 12th and 19th by the four draft analysts at NFL.com.

Ebron finished the Thursday night game against Miami last October with 199 yards, the most ever by a UNC tight end, which cemented his decision to turn pro after his junior year.

Ebron announced his intentions before the final regular-season game against Duke. He ended the year with 973 receiving yards – breaking the conference record for most yards by a tight end set by Maryland’s Vernon Davis — and 62 receptions, a school record at his position.

“What separates me from other tight ends and other guys in the draft, period (are) my great speed, my great hands and my execution of route running,” Ebron said. “And people say I can’t block, but I don’t think they’re watching the right tape.”

UNC coach Larry Fedora said that when he talks to NFL personnel about Ebron, the questions aren’t about on-the-field issues. Instead, they revolve around subjects like character, work ethic and if he can be coached. But Fedora said that there’s no reason for NFL teams to be concerned.

For instance, Ebron injured his shoulder at Pittsburgh during the 10th game of the season, but played the next week against Old Dominion.

“There were times this season when Eric was beat up and I know was not 100 percent, and knew that he was coming out (to the NFL), and still got out there on Saturday and played his heart out,” Fedora said. “It wasn’t, ‘I’m going to sit back and get ready for the NFL.’ It was, ‘On Saturday I’m going out there and giving you everything I’ve got.’”

Ebron is expected to continue a recent trend of first-round picks from UNC. The Tar Heels have had a first-round pick in five of the six years, including two in 2013 — guard Jonathan Cooper (seventh overall) and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams (28th). The six first-round picks since 2008 are the most from any ACC school.

But half of UNC’s 22 previous first-round picks have been defensive linemen. Ebron would be the first Tar Heel tight end to land in the first round. The highest a UNC tight end has been picked was when Alge Crumpler went in the second round (35th overall) to Atlanta in 2001.

“Wherever I end, I end up,” said Ebron, who will be attending the draft. “I don’t care — as long it’s in the first round.”

As for other UNC prospects, first-team all-ACC defensive end Kareem Martin is expected to be picked on Friday, while left tackle James Hurst, center Russell Bodine and safety Tré Boston will most likely be drafted on Saturday. Quarterback Bryn Renner, cornerback Jabari Price and defensive tackle Tim Jackson also are potential late-round selections.

Follow UNC beat writer Harold Gutmann on Twitter at @haroldgut.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x1505316465/NBA-DRAFT-UNC-TE-Eric-Ebron-happy-to-go-anywhere-in-1st-round

Archived