Smith Still Believes He Will Be Starter

flgreen

View All Blogs

jets-stream-jpg.jpg Geno Smith still believes he will be Jets starting quarterback

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Monday, April 21, 2014, 2:20 PM
Updated: Monday, April 21, 2014, 2:20 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

The Jets added Michael Vick to their roster during free agency, but Geno Smith still sees himself ending up as the team’s starting quarterback. Asked directly on Monday if he felt he would be the starter for Gang Green, the second year quarterback stuck to his guns and said simply, “Yes.” The Jets began their offseason program Monday.

Smith said he thought he would be the starter because of his “belief in myself.”

“Knowing that I’m going to take every action possible to get better and to come into this season a better player,” Smith added. “Having a second year under Marty (Mornhinweg's) system and with coach David Lee and with Rex (Ryan) as the head coach, it’s going to do wonders not just for myself but everyone on the offense.”

The quarterback didn’t sound the least bit bothered about the presence of Vick, and channeled his inner Idzik by promoting the virtues of competition. 

“We all believe that competition is what’s going to make every single player and collectively make us all better as a team,” Smith said.

The QB also noted he could learn from his new teammate.

“He’s a veteran with tons of experience, playoff experience,” Smith said. “He’s played in many big games, he’s also played in this system at times.”

@SethWalderNYDN

Read more:http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/geno-smith-believes-jets-starting-quarterback-blog-entry-1.1763761#ixzz2zYJ1Trqe

Geno Smith has no doubt he’ll be Jets starter over Vick

By Brian Costello

April 21, 2014 | 3:46pm

Modal Trigger

geno.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Geno SmithPhoto: EPA

There is no question in Geno Smith’s mind who the Jets starting quarterback will be. The second-year signal caller said Monday he expects to beat Michael Vick out in the team’s latest edition of a quarterback competition.

Smith simply said, “Yes,” when asked if he still expects to be the team’s starter. He then gave his explanation why.

“My belief in myself,” Smith said. “Knowing that I’m going to take every action possible to get better and to come into this season a better player; having a second year in [offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s] system and with [quarterbacks] coach David Lee and with Rex [Ryan] as the head coach is going to do wonders for not just myself but everyone on the offense.

“A lot of it is going to come down to production on the field. I just believe with the experience I’ve gained and the direction we were heading in as an offense and where I see myself as a second-year player, I just believe I’m more than capable of being the starter.”

The Jets began their voluntary offseason program Monday in Florham Park. It is the first time the team has been assembled since the end of last season. There are plenty of new faces, highlighted by Vick, running back Chris Johnson and wide receiver Eric Decker.

The spotlight, as it usually is, will be on the quarterbacks. For the third straight season, the Jets have an intriguing storyline at quarterback. Smith was terrible at times as a rookie, but played better down the stretch. Still, he finished the season as the worst-rated passer in the NFL.

Vick, who turns 34 this summer, comes to the Jets as the grizzled veteran. Everyone knows what Vick can do when he is healthy. The problem for him in recent years with the Eagles was staying upright. The Jets are selling Vick’s arrival as something that can benefit Smith. But quarterback competitions sometimes become quarterback controversies once the season starts.

“He’s been in this system with Marty, so I think that’s going to be a big help,” Ryan said of Vick. “I think his physical skills also are going to push Geno. … Hey, look, it’s not like you don’t have a great quarterback sitting right there pushing you. That’s what he’ll do. He’ll push you. He’s a tremendous football player, a very talented guy. I think it’s going to be great for Geno. I think the biggest thing that Mike is going to help Geno with is probably his experience, and his experience in this system I think will really help Geno as well.”

Smith, speaking to local reporters for the first time since Vick signed a one-year deal last month, repeated general manager John Idzik’s “competition” mantra. Smith said he has studied the film of last season and vows to improve. Given a chance to use last year’s lack of quality skill players as an excuse, Smith put the blame for last year’s 8-8 season on himself.

“The guys that we had last year were more than viable options,” he said. “I think it all came down to me, honestly. If I had done a lot of things better, I think we would have done better as an offense and it showed later on in the year.”

I'm shocked mehta didn't go right for the conspiracy angle of why the jets aren't letting simms compete for the "open" job

whoever prepped geno for his media sessions deserves a beer

No question. The "competition will make everyone better" line, blaming last year on himself. He's saying all the right things.

One thing I think Geno has over Sanchez is that he's got thick skin. Seemed more resilient after turnovers last year and I think the comments about not minding competition are reasonably genuine.

Whether or not Geno ends up successful remains to be seen, but I think one of Sanchez's biggest issues was that he was soft. If Geno fails, I don't think that'll be the reason.

No question. The "competition will make everyone better" line, blaming last year on himself. He's saying all the right things.

One thing I think Geno has over Sanchez is that he's got thick skin. Seemed more resilient after turnovers last year and I think the comments about not minding competition are reasonably genuine.

Whether or not Geno ends up successful remains to be seen, but I think one of Sanchez's biggest issues was that he was soft. If Geno fails, I don't think that'll be the reason.

agreed, he seems like he is ready for the douchy questions, and it doesn't bother him.   he has to grab the locker room soon or everyone will be just waiting for the vick move

it looks like he gets it and is fighting for the leadership role

I'm shocked mehta didn't go right for the conspiracy angle of why the jets aren't letting simms compete for the "open" job

whoever prepped geno for his media sessions deserves a beer

He wont have a choice once Simms out plays Vick and Geno this preseason.

One of the things that sucks about not having a lot of faith in Geno is that I really think he's got the right attitude and personality for this gig. Say what you want about his performance but he always comes across like a cool dude that is 100% about business, even on his worst days. Really the complete opposite of Sanchez, who was a notorious workaholic but you just always wanted someone to punch him right in the face. And in hindsight that god damn lifeguard photo shoot should have been recognized as the first sign.

Geno Smith was asked some questions about the Jets situation at QB.   Specifically if he thought he would be the Jets starting QB this season.  It is a pretty easy question, because he has to answer with a yes which he did.

(The reason I believe I will start is) just that, my belief in myself. Knowing that I am going to take every action possible to get better and to come in to this season as a better player (gives me confidence).  Having a second season in Marty (Mornhinweg’s) system, (being with) Coach David Lee (for a second season) and with Rex (Ryan) as the head coach is going to do wonders, not just for myself but everyone on the offense. Obviously it is going to come down to production on the field. I just believe that with the experience that I have gained and with the direction that we were heading in as an offense and where I see myself as a second-year player, I just believe that I am more than capable of being the starter.

Does signing Vick mean the Jets have a lack of faith in Geno?

No, not at all. Like I have said, I think with our G.M. John Idzik, and with Coach Ryan and the staff we are doing everything possible to make our team better. We all believe that competition at every position is what’s going to make every single player better and collectively make us all better as a team. I think that is what we have done.

When Mark Sanchez was the QB, there was nobody behind him on the depth chart to provide a challenge.  When Sanchez had a bad game Mark Brunell wasn’t a realistic threat to take his job.  The Jets have learned from that mistake and Michael Vick will push Geno Smith.  He was asked for his thoughts on Vick being a Jet.

Overall, I think it will make our team better. I’m all for competition. As I told you guys, I am going to compete no matter who (the team brings) in. I think we got a good guy in Mike, who brings something extra to the table as far as veteran leadership into our quarterback room. As well as a guy with tremendous capabilities that we all – him, myself and Matt Simms – can compete with one another as well as learn from one another. It should be fun in our quarterback room.

The most important thing the Jets need out of the QB position next year is fewer turnovers.  If Geno is going to win the starting job, and keep it, he must improve upon his numbers from last season (12 TDs 21 INTs).  Geno was asked what he has done so far this offseason to decrease turnovers.

I just watched the film and studied it.  I watched them over and over and over again, as painful as it is. It makes me realize, quite honestly, that I haven’t, up until this point in my career, had a problem with turnovers, but protecting the ball is vital to any player, any quarterback, at any level, in any system.  So my main priority, and this is something I’ve always known, but like I’ve said, experience is sometimes the best teacher, so my main priority is to take care of that ball, but also, put the ball in the right places versus the right coverages.  Knowing where our answers are on offense for any coverage, any blitz, anything and obviously being prepared for it and knowing it, and in year two, I’ve seen it, so I have that experience to revert back to.

Tell us if you think this season.

Despite what they say about open competition, all Geno needs to do is to show real improvement over last year and he has the job.  With the new receivers and Chris Johnson, he should be able to do that easy.  Unless Vick is on fire in training camp and preseason, they aren't giving Vick the job over a guy who won 8 as a rookie and is turning it up his second year.

We have to talk about something during the offseason, but would anyone say anything different?

"Actually, I think I sort of suck and Vick will start.  The team doesn't really have all the pieces to win either.  Matter of fact, I've started watching Game of Thrones and I'd rather skip camp and spend the summer as a juggler at a renaissance festival".

Despite what they say about open competition, all Geno needs to do is to show real improvement over last year and he has the job. With the new receivers and Chris Johnson, he should be able to do that easy. Unless Vick is on fire in training camp and preseason, they aren't giving Vick the job over a guy who won 8 as a rookie and is turning it up his second year.

I also think the "open competition" will be curved in Geno's favor. It's much better for the franchise long term if Geno seizes the job, and develops as a quality game manager on his way to franchise QB. Geno's biggest problem as a rookie was turnovers, and that's still Vick's biggest problem 14 years after he was first drafted into the league - unless you want to list his chronic injury history first.

And really, if Smith isn't going to develop into that guy, I'd rather they make that decision based on his play on the field, rather a than preseason competition.

I think if he picks up where he left off last year, the job is his.

He wont have a choice once Simms out plays Vick and Geno this preseason.

I don't know if this is just fun for you or you're serious, but Matt Simms will almost certainly be looking for work by the start of the season if the Jets decide to use one of their storied twelve picks on a QB.

I don't know if this is just fun for you or you're serious, but Matt Simms will almost certainly be looking for work by the start of the season if the Jets decide to use one of their storied twelve picks on a QB.

Mostly serious here Slats...I do feel if Simms was given the same opportunity as Geno last season he would have out performed him by a mile.....maybe even a mile and a half.....I wish I felt different since Geno is our 2nd round pick and all....but i dont.  

We already know Vick is injury prone and Geno is not proven at all yet so he can easily go in this year and stink it up....if both Vick/geno were on the sideline, I'd rather at the point be looking at using Simms rather than some rookie from the later rounds of this years draft.  jmo. 

I hope they only chose Vick because he knows the system (and not because he likes to run). They aren't secretly hoping to turn Geno in to a running (and injury prone) QB, right?

At the very least they bought Geno a year to hit the squat rack. Vick isn't getting $5 mill to be a wet nurse, that's for damn sure.

I think you missed my sarcasm. The Jets will look to upgrade the #3 QB. I would make sense to take a project in the mid rounds who needs time to develop and can learn under MM.

Simms is bad.

I didnt miss it.  

I think Simms is the better option than a mid round pick this year so we simply disagree.... its cool. 

One of the things that sucks about not having a lot of faith in Geno is that I really think he's got the right attitude and personality for this gig. Say what you want about his performance but he always comes across like a cool dude that is 100% about business, even on his worst days. Really the complete opposite of Sanchez, who was a notorious workaholic but you just always wanted someone to punch him right in the face. And in hindsight that god damn lifeguard photo shoot should have been recognized as the first sign.

I think some of that work-ethic was called into question in recent years as being more working hard and not so much working smart. He seemed like the kid who had to do 14 hours of work to equal another man's 6, just because he was goofing off or not taking it seriously.  Then Ainge's? comments about how some players let women get in the way of stardom seemed to be point at Sanchez, but who knows.  I certainly agree that Geno has the right demeanor and there was only one or two times I thought he looked lost during that rough stretch in which he bounced back after the benching to rally in the last 4 games.  I feel if he truly wins the week 1 starting job, he's going to have a very solid season. 

Archived