Bradley Roby arrested for OVI

Sully80

Former Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, a potential first-round draft pick, may have just done something to significantly downgrade his draft stock.

According to 10 News in Ohio, Roby is facing a a charge of OVI, or operating a vehicle under the influence.

The incident took place on April 20, when officers were called to the scene of a person passed out behind the wheel of a car. The officers who responded to the call reported that they couldn’t get the driver’s attention, and that when they opened the door they noticed the odor of alcohol. The driver failed a field sobriety test.

Roby’s agent Michael Perrett gave a different account of the incident to Ohio State sports website ElevenWarriors.com.

“This past weekend my client Bradley Roby was issued a citation in Columbus, Ohio for operating a vehicle while impaired (OVI),” Perrett said in a statement. “Bradley was sitting in his parked car in a parking lot when he was approached and questioned by an officer. He was fully cooperative and willingly submitted to field sobriety and breathalyzer tests. His BAC test registered a negligible .008 and after further testing at the police station, he was very quickly released on his own recognizance. There are no other charges, and we are confident that this matter will be resolved quickly and favorably for Bradley. However, as the matter is still pending, we cannot comment further at this time.”

This isn’t Roby’s first off-field incident. He was also suspended for the first game of last season after he was accused of getting in a bar fight, although criminal charges in that case were eventually dropped.

Roby is one of the 30 players who will attend the NFL draft. This incident means he’s likely going to have to wait a little longer to hear his name called on draft day.

Sounds like he thought he could just sleep it off in the driver's seat outside the bar. We've all been there. Horrible timing, unfortunately.

That's exactly what it sounds like, I wonder if the car was on and that's why he was charged? 0.008 is nothing, 0.08 is the legal limit. 

Former Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, a potential first-round draft pick, may have just done something to significantly downgrade his draft stock.

According to 10 News in Ohio, Roby is facing a a charge of OVI, or operating a vehicle under the influence.

The incident took place on April 20, when officers were called to the scene of a person passed out behind the wheel of a car. The officers who responded to the call reported that they couldn’t get the driver’s attention, and that when they opened the door they noticed the odor of alcohol. The driver failed a field sobriety test.

Roby’s agent Michael Perrett gave a different account of the incident to Ohio State sports website ElevenWarriors.com.

“This past weekend my client Bradley Roby was issued a citation in Columbus, Ohio for operating a vehicle while impaired (OVI),” Perrett said in a statement. “Bradley was sitting in his parked car in a parking lot when he was approached and questioned by an officer. He was fully cooperative and willingly submitted to field sobriety and breathalyzer tests. His BAC test registered a negligible .008 and after further testing at the police station, he was very quickly released on his own recognizance. There are no other charges, and we are confident that this matter will be resolved quickly and favorably for Bradley. However, as the matter is still pending, we cannot comment further at this time.”

This isn’t Roby’s first off-field incident. He was also suspended for the first game of last season after he was accused of getting in a bar fight, although criminal charges in that case were eventually dropped.

Roby is one of the 30 players who will attend the NFL draft. This incident means he’s likely going to have to wait a little longer to hear his name called on draft day.

Incident took place on 4/20, huh? He probably smoked a bunch of blunts too that night lol. 

You'd think that if you're less than a month away from a life changing event in your life you would go out of your way to not go out. Hope that night was worth a few mill, because thats what he just lost. Stupidity like this would have me completely take off my board. If he's dumb enough to make a mistake like this, he will likely do worse in new york. See ya bye

I have a legal question. What is a person supposed to do if they are intoxicated and cannot drive. Wouldnt you sleep it off ? What is a person supposed to do other than that ?

Call a cab. Call a friend for a ride (people have $20 million reasons to be friends with this dude, BTW). Or just don't put yourself in a crappy position like that at all, especially (but not only) when you're about to get drafted.

I have a legal question. What is a person supposed to do if they are intoxicated and cannot drive. Wouldnt you sleep it off ? What is a person supposed to do other than that ?

truth is, no test is given for a minimum of 20 minutes to allow for the "mouth alcohol" to dissipate.  this is following the arrest and booking procedure after being stopped, questioned, tested in the field and transported to headquarters for booking.  so most BAC levels are lower than the levels the driver had prior to being stopped.  Beyond that, sleeping in a car would not be an offense.  Sleeping in a running car with the keys in the ignition, would show intent to operate, however.  this is how a DUI would hold up if a driver passed out at a stoplight.  There are parameters.  Roby getting popped twice in a relatively short period of time would indicate he may have a substance abuse issue.  Or he just might be incredibly unlucky.  With millions of dollars on the line, an employer might just take a pass and draft a less risky prospect.  Like one who hasn't been arrested for intoxication on multiple occasions.

That's exactly what it sounds like, I wonder if the car was on and that's why he was charged? 0.008 is nothing, 0.08 is the legal limit. 

The car does not have to be running for a person to be charged.  According to the St. Lawrence County DA if a person has possession of the keys to the vehicle that is sufficient enough.  I was taken into custody up in Potsdam sleeping it off in the backseat of my girlfriends car and was arrested.  Fortunately the DA was willing to plea it down to a drunk in public charge and a $65 fine.  His claim was that it was perfectly clear I had no intent of operating the vehicle.  I kind of got lucky because the car was running.  Well, it was -35F outside!  I think he took that into account as well.

If you are intoxicated, or feel woozy, do not...i repeat, DO NOT get in the driver's seat of a car. Even if you are parked and have not moved the vehicle, the fact that you have the keys and you could drive can cause you to be issued a summons. Its best to avoid any appearance of intent to drive while intoxicated.  

1) Call a Cab or

2) Call a friend to take you home or

3) Rent a local hotel room and sleep it off.

If you are booked for OVI/DUI/DWI, that could stay on your record and come up at a bad time (EMPLOYMENT BACKGROUND SEARCH).

Be smart, don't approach your car's driver seat, let someone else drive you home.

LL

From what I understand if the keys are within reach( basically anywhere inside the cabin of the car) you can be charged. I've heard if you decide to sleep it off in your car you have to put the keys in the trunk or unhook the neg batter terminal rendering the car "inoperable". Dude should've just called a friend or cab though.

truth is, no test is given for a minimum of 20 minutes to allow for the "mouth alcohol" to dissipate.  this is following the arrest and booking procedure after being stopped, questioned, tested in the field and transported to headquarters for booking.  so most BAC levels are lower than the levels the driver had prior to being stopped.  Beyond that, sleeping in a car would not be an offense.  Sleeping in a running car with the keys in the ignition, would show intent to operate, however.  this is how a DUI would hold up if a driver passed out at a stoplight.  There are parameters.  Roby getting popped twice in a relatively short period of time would indicate he may have a substance abuse issue.  Or he just might be incredibly unlucky.  With millions of dollars on the line, an employer might just take a pass and draft a less risky prospect.  Like one who hasn't been arrested for intoxication on multiple occasions.

Thanks for explaining it.

It defies logic. My car. If I am in the passengers seat taking a nap where does driving part come in.

I have done that.

Thanks for explaining it.

It defies logic. My car. If I am in the passengers seat taking a nap where does driving part come in.

I have done that.

It doesn't.  you're fine.  Sleep in the passenger seat, sleep in the backseat.  Not a problem. In most cases sleeping behind the wheel is not advised unless you leave your keys elsewhere.  In NJ intent to operate is the key phrase.Sleeping it off in a parking lot with your keys in a jacket in the back seat would absolutely be fine.  BTW I'm a cop, certified breathylizer operator. certified nystagmus operator and a bunch of other things.  So the above is straight from the horses' mouth, not opinion.  Nervous nellies like to claim the police are all hiding in bushes waiting to douse you in beer and drag you off to the clink.  Not true.  DUI arrests are a crapload of work.  Everyone I know crosses their fingers that they don't run into one.

I changed the title to OVI just to match what the article says.

That's fine I was on mobile and it said that it was a DUI then I looked up an article to post and it said OVI, which I found out is Ohio's version of a DUI so I decided to go with DUI to avoid confusion

The car does not have to be running for a person to be charged.  According to the St. Lawrence County DA if a person has possession of the keys to the vehicle that is sufficient enough.  I was taken into custody up in Potsdam sleeping it off in the backseat of my girlfriends car and was arrested.  Fortunately the DA was willing to plea it down to a drunk in public charge and a $65 fine.  His claim was that it was perfectly clear I had no intent of operating the vehicle.  I kind of got lucky because the car was running.  Well, it was -35F outside!  I think he took that into account as well.

You got lucky man, not often do DA's use common sense like that. Glad I know for the future I can still be screwed over for doing what many would consider "the right thing".

Straight from the horses mouth today on Twitter:

Bradley Roby @BradRoby_1 6h

To clear a few things up that the media of course leaves out ..

Bradley Roby @BradRoby_1 6h

I was not drunk pic.twitter.com/CviiPuydkp

BmE6ZGNCMAAbWLl.jpg

Bradley Roby @BradRoby_1 5h

I was not driving . I did not get arrested . Was not in a cell . No finger prints . No mugshot

Bradley Roby @BradRoby_1 5h

I have lost any respect I had left for the media. I take ownership in my part of it. But you run a story at least put out all facts ...

Straight from the horses mouth today on Twitter:

Bradley Roby ‏@BradRoby_1 6h

To clear a few things up that the media of course leaves out ..

Bradley Roby ‏@BradRoby_1 6h

I was not drunk pic.twitter.com/CviiPuydkp

BmE6ZGNCMAAbWLl.jpg

Bradley Roby ‏@BradRoby_1 5h

I was not driving . I did not get arrested . Was not in a cell . No finger prints . No mugshot

Bradley Roby ‏@BradRoby_1 5h

I have lost any respect I had left for the media. I take ownership in my part of it. But you run a story at least put out all facts ...

Defiant towards authority, fell further down my board

That's fine I was on mobile and it said that it was a DUI then I looked up an article to post and it said OVI, which I found out is Ohio's version of a DUI so I decided to go with DUI to avoid confusion

I had no idea what OVI was, I had to look it up myself.  Why Ohio why?  Why must you be different!

Archived