has anyone found the way this game makes you think useful IRL?

Lizard King

So my baby to be is 9 weeks and 4 days. Already I am thinking about checking into local school board meetings and seeing how much they are implementing science, technology and engineering into the young curriculum. I could see where this game is useful in public debate. Just curious how many of you guys find yourselves thinking this way outside of here.

So my baby to be is 9 weeks and 4 days. Already I am thinking about checking into local school board meetings and seeing how much they are implementing science, technology and engineering into the young curriculum. I could see where this game is useful in public debate. Just curious how many of you guys find yourselves thinking this way outside of here.

Interesting thread, and yes.

Professionally, I think playing mafia - more specifically, solving logic problems - has helped me speak and prepare for both left and right brained discussion. I've always functioned well in the overlap between left and right brain thinking, but I think playing this game with so many people that are purely logical thinkers, has definitely helped me understand how to emphasize aspects of the work I'm doing so that there is better appeal to both sides. Ultimately, it's just helped shape my outlook and preparation. It hasn't changed my work, but it has changed how I position, defend and talk about it. 

In general, I've found myself challenging logic in a lot of the stupid sh*t we all encounter daily. By nature, I'm a problem solver - I love having a knot I'm trying to untangle in the back of my mind all day. 

There's a lot of nifty things you notice if you play a while. It's interesting to see that there are some common traits people exhibit when they lie vs. telling the truth.  People also tend to try to draw conclusions to problems or obstacles even when there is limited information and communication, which makes it funny for all of us when people make definitive statements on the Jets forum when they have absolutely no clue what goes into decision-making.

There's a lot of nifty things you notice if you play a while. It's interesting to see that there are some common traits people exhibit when they lie vs. telling the truth.  People also tend to try to draw conclusions to problems or obstacles even when there is limited information and communication, which makes it funny for all of us when people make definitive statements on the Jets forum when they have absolutely no clue what goes into decision-making.

Can get the same thing from playing poker... It's amazing how transparent new players are

Can get the same thing from playing poker... It's amazing how transparent new players are

Yup.

That's something I didn't mention above, because I don't play a lot, but I'd say playing mafia has definitely made me a better poker player, and all around bullsh*t detector... and it's made me that much better of a bullsh*tter as well, I suppose.

Yes but it's when the level of play evolves that I think the respective games depart from their similarities. Poker gets very mathematical.

I actually disagree a little with this. I think when poker becomes pro vs pro you need to deviate from just playing the odds at times and play the player or else you become too predictable. Obviously, overall, you should pick your spots, but there are definitely advantages to playing aggressive poker even when your hand and odds are weaker.

Yes but it's when the level of play evolves that I think the respective games depart from their similarities. Poker gets very mathematical.

Mafia can be extremely mathematical too, at times. 

I think the reason JN players genuinely tend to be the best mafia players I've encountered is because they are 1.) socially adept, 2.) very logical, especially where it concerns logic applied to an intimate understanding of game play scenarios, and 3.) extremely instinctive, in a way where they balance it against logic.

I think to be good at either poker or mafia, you have to balance instinct (reading people) with logic.

Mafia can be extremely mathematical too, at times. 

I think the reason JN players genuinely tend to be the best mafia players I've encountered is because they are 1.) socially adept, 2.) very logical, especially where it concerns logic applied to an intimate understanding of game play scenarios, and 3.) extremely instinctive, in a way where they balance it against logic.

I think to be good at either poker or mafia, you have to balance instinct (reading people) with logic.

4) We've been lying to friends and family for years/entire lives about how the Jets are within a season or two of turning it all around.

I suppose it could, depending on who you are playing with. 

For example, if you were to play with me, then yes it could help you. However, playing with someone like Pac could actually cause you to lose IQ points. 

There's actually a rumor going around that you cheated...

I actually disagree a little with this. I think when poker becomes pro vs pro you need to deviate from just playing the odds at times and play the player or else you become too predictable. Obviously, overall, you should pick your spots, but there are definitely advantages to playing aggressive poker even when your hand and odds are weaker.

Without a doubt.

I suppose it could, depending on who you are playing with. 

For example, if you were to play with me, then yes it could help you. However, playing with someone like Pac could actually cause you to lose IQ points. 

^^^ Doin' it right.

There's actually a rumor going around that you cheated...

^^^ Doin' it wrong.

I have no idea. I'm three games old. But in the current game, it was insinuated that last time you played with Arsis, you cheated.

#1 - I literally do not care enough about winning at mafia to cheat. I'm not Pac for goodness sakes. 

#2 - I was playing alone as a serial killer. There was no one for me to cheat with. 

#3 - Sounds like sour grapes from certain people who shall remain nameless *cough*PAC!*cough* who happen to suck at mafia to an extreme level and are clearly jealous of my incredibly high level of play. I mean, seriously, dude plays like every game and I play like once a year and always school his punk ass. He should be jealous. 

#1 - I literally do not care enough about winning at mafia to cheat. I'm not Pac for goodness sakes.

#2 - I was playing alone as a serial killer. There was no one for me to cheat with.

#3 - Sounds like sour grapes from certain people who shall remain nameless *cough*PAC!*cough* who happen to suck at mafia to an extreme level and are clearly jealous of my incredibly high level of play. I mean, seriously, dude plays like every game and I play like once a year and always school his punk ass. He should be jealous.

It wasn't Pac

That's probably because it's not really a game. It was invented as a thought experiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

No, not really.

But they say logic games and puzzles help stave off Alzheimers so there's that.  I've always been pretty decent at reading people and saying what I think they want to hear.  Mafia is just an extension of that.

No, not really.

But they say logic games and puzzles help stave off Alzheimers so there's that.  I've always been pretty decent at reading people and saying what I think they want to hear.  Mafia is just an extension of that.

You literally have never muttered a single word any of us want to hear. Ever.

Archived