Joe Namath on JetNation Radio

Maxman

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if there is room for constructive criticism in this lovefest but here goes:

1. Sound: I apologize not knowing the set up. Is there a studio? One guy sounded very clear - the other two sounded like they were calling in. Sound wise not a quality dynamic

2. Chemistry: awkward interactions at times. If they are calling in this can be difficult. Is there any chance these guys can be sitting in the same room interacting with one another - would be much more dynamic. Also - have to figure out what you want to be - a three headed monster with equal time - I don't think it works. Brandon? Is good. Need to decide who is the leader - one guy dominating / leading the discussion with two color guys or two "hosts" with one of the guys being the one who interjects / the foible so to speak.

3. Material. I don't want to listen to 3 Jet fans plus people calling in discussing what's been on the blogs ad nauseum. Namath interview was great. Go after getting Jet players - even ones down on the rosters - would be nice. Discuss draft philosophies - what is BPA / how do teams determine BPA/ can a "2nd rounder" be a top 10 pick for one team ?

I know this stuff isn't easy but just thought I would give my 2 cents as a listener who is not in the club so to speak. Good luck.

The moral of today's episode: have a plan.

dude: Okay, we have area code 903. Go ahead, caller.

Klecko73isGod: HEY ITS KLECKO

T0mShane: Klecko!

Klecko73isGod: HARF HARF HARF

T0mShane: Harf harf harf

dude: Okay, next caller, area code 631.

slats: Hey it's slats!

T0mShane: slats!

slats: Harf harf harf

Just letting Namath vamp was fine but it's like the color guy getting conscripted for play by play duties. You don't give him anything to work with, he winds up just reading names off the roster.

While that's kinda funny I think you're being a little harsh..  It was their first show.  Were you expecting to hear Paul Harvey?

You could always call in next time and wow the audience.

But I'll concede that calls from the nine 0 four should be blocked.

The moral of today's episode: have a plan.

dude: Okay, we have area code 903. Go ahead, caller.

Klecko73isGod: HEY ITS KLECKO

T0mShane: Klecko!

Klecko73isGod: HARF HARF HARF

dude: Okay, next caller, area code 631.

slats: Hey it's slats!

T0mShane: slats!

slats: Harf harf harf

Just letting Namath vamp was fine but it's like the color guy getting conscripted for play by play duties. You don't give him anything to work with, he winds up just reading names off the roster.

I have to admit that I bailed when I heard Klecko too. then it was a ''HAR HAR HAR HAR'' fest for 2 minutes that I could no longer take.

Phil, can you block numbers on the call in number?

While that's kinda funny I think you're being a little harsh..  It was their first show.  Were you expecting to hear Paul Harvey?

You could always call in next time and wow the audience.

But I'll concede that calls from the nine 0 four should be blocked.

35450a.jpg

I don't know if there is room for constructive criticism in this lovefest but here goes:

1. Sound: I apologize not knowing the set up. Is there a studio? One guy sounded very clear - the other two sounded like they were calling in. Sound wise not a quality dynamic

2. Chemistry: awkward interactions at times. If they are calling in this can be difficult. Is there any chance these guys can be sitting in the same room interacting with one another - would be much more dynamic. Also - have to figure out what you want to be - a three headed monster with equal time - I don't think it works. Brandon? Is good. Need to decide who is the leader - one guy dominating / leading the discussion with two color guys or two "hosts" with one of the guys being the one who interjects / the foible so to speak.

3. Material. I don't want to listen to 3 Jet fans plus people calling in discussing what's been on the blogs ad nauseum. Namath interview was great. Go after getting Jet players - even ones down on the rosters - would be nice. Discuss draft philosophies - what is BPA / how do teams determine BPA/ can a "2nd rounder" be a top 10 pick for one team ?

I know this stuff isn't easy but just thought I would give my 2 cents as a listener who is not in the club so to speak. Good luck.

agree with 1st 2 points above, but I have to say thats what 1st shows are for. Learning and adapting..

Great Job Guys!!!!!! Sorry I didnt call in, but being the ole man I am I forgot and fell asleep in the LazyBoy, but listened to replay :(

If I hadnt fallen asleep I was gonna call in. I was gonna either say this is SouthernJet or this is BossTurd :)

Now I want to call in and ask about Joes grill. Phil actually did this backwards. Promote the grill first, then have Joe Namath on to answer questions about his grill.

Also if you're BossTurd, what is JGB?

Now I want to call in and ask about Joes grill. Phil actually did this backwards. Promote the grill first, then have Joe Namath on to answer questions about his grill.

Also if you're BossTurd, what is JGB?

Call in and claim to be a Steelers fan and listen to Tom Shane soil himself. 

agree with 1st 2 points above, but I have to say thats what 1st shows are for. Learning and adapting..

Great Job Guys!!!!!! Sorry I didnt call in, but being the ole man I am I forgot and fell asleep in the LazyBoy, but listened to replay :(

As far as the material was concerned I'm gonna scream if I hear another conversation about who is #1 for the Jets, however these guys touched on an interesting observation - can Cook work on the outside? The argument then came down to size - D Jackson is small and on the outside, but then it was mentioned that Cooks has always been a slot receiver and size has nothing to do with it. That was a good but small part of the conversation and probably the reason Cooks won't get picked by the Jets. This is not meant to be a conversation about Cooks rather  just pointing out that this kind of perspective is better than - the Jets need a receiver/Cb blah blah blah.Also make sure the callers have a point in the topic at hand.

I think these criticisms are fair. My big problem is that I live in a valley and use old ass equipment, so there's a five second lag. I'll be going to the AT&T store this weekend and opening a vein to upgrade everything.

The positive, for me, was that we had some pretty good conversations for three guys who've never met. As we get more used to each other's pacing and rhetorical approach, the flow will improve.

I was also pumped to see JNers calling in (I got really excited about my boy Klacko). I want this to be a really communal show, where you guys drive the content because god knows you don't want to hear my opinions. The dream show is that the hosts speak for twenty minutes, tops, with a ten/fifteen minute interview thrown in, and we take about 10-25 phone calls the rest of the time. It's our show.

As far as the material was concerned I'm gonna scream if I hear another conversation about who is #1 for the Jets, however these guys touched on an interesting observation - can Cook work on the outside? The argument then came down to size - D Jackson is small and on the outside, but then it was mentioned that Cooks has always been a slot receiver and size has nothing to do with it. That was a good but small part of the conversation and probably the reason Cooks won't get picked by the Jets. This is not meant to be a conversation about Cooks rather just pointing out that this kind of perspective is better than - the Jets need a receiver/Cb blah blah blah.Also make sure the callers have a point in the topic at hand.

Content-wise, we have to hit on baseline issues like the draft, free agency, schedule, etc. If you'd like to take it in a different direction off of those topics, the best way to do it is to call in.

Could you tell I went to broadcasting school?

Dude I just listened and your voice immediately reminded me of someone but I couldn't place it..  after a couple minutes it came to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6zIRSiOliQ

* that's not a knock btw..  I like Benigno.

I give you guys credit for interviewing namath for the first show, that took guts

Some would so that. Others would say it was just insane.  Go big or go home I guess.  :)

I still love Joe, even if he took hardcore shots at me.

Proof that he really does check out this site, or you annoyed him faster than you usually annoy the rest of us here.  Either way, I love Joe now lol.

Proof that he really does check out this site, or you annoyed him faster than you usually annoy the rest of us here. Either way, I love Joe now lol.

So true.

Angelo nailed it at the end if the interview. Joe's legend continues to grow.

I think these criticisms are fair. My big problem is that I live in a valley and use old ass equipment, so there's a five second lag. I'll be going to the AT&T store this weekend and opening a vein to upgrade everything.

The positive, for me, was that we had some pretty good conversations for three guys who've never met. As we get more used to each other's pacing and rhetorical approach, the flow will improve.

I was also pumped to see JNers calling in (I got really excited about my boy Klacko). I want this to be a really communal show, where you guys drive the content because god knows you don't want to hear my opinions. The dream show is that the hosts speak for twenty minutes, tops, with a ten/fifteen minute interview thrown in, and we take about 10-25 phone calls the rest of the time. It's our show.

Then don't cut off a caller when he wants to engage more in the conversation. 

It wasn't you but this is the typical Mike Francesca model - the caller is allowed to ask a question or make a comment and then the host or hosts riff on it for 10 minutes and the caller is never heard from again. When I called in I hoping to have more back and forth, not just make a statement and then listen to you guys talk for 20 minutes while I get a computerized voice thanking me for calling. 

It wasn't you but this is the typical Mike Francesca model - the caller is allowed to ask a question or make a comment and then the host or hosts riff on it for 10 minutes and the caller is never heard from again. When I called in I hoping to have more back and forth, not just make a statement and then listen to you guys talk for 20 minutes while I get a computerized voice thanking me for calling. 

LOL, Life in the Big City I guess ;)

I think it was great for 1st shot, BUT, is there ANY way y'all can get together for show. that would help the repartee

We're still working out the bugs, homey. Plus, I'm actually Mike Francesa.

I think it was great for 1st shot, BUT, is there ANY way y'all can get together for show. that would help the repartee

Yeah, we're working that out as we speak. My connection was apparently slower than Brandon and Angelo's, so I was behind the whole show without realizing it.

Yeah, we're working that out as we speak. My connection was apparently slower than Brandon and Angelo's, so I was behind the whole show without realizing it.

Ya, I have same issues on conf calls,, over lap is a drag and becomes a jumble

Archived