Don't Ever Get T-Mobile even with a gun to your head if you ever plan on spening time outside of Manhattan

Lizard King

Couldn't handle being on TMobile anymore...just switched to AT&T in a moment of terminal frustration...a little back story, I was a lifelong Verizon guy who wanted the Google Nexus 5 and, also saw the lure of the TMobile "we pay your termination fee" Superbowl commercials...this fit in nicely with being sick of Verizon from the FiOS side...so anyway it was cheaper, service was ok and the phone does circles around the iPhone 5S. And then 2 days later, Florida happens. I go there and all my inlaws are on Verizon with full service, and I'm on a single bar of "E" whatever the **** that is. It continues back here up in NJ- the second you leave NYC, service sucks. Insult to injury, credits already wore out and I was actually paying more for like 10% of service quality. I'm married to the NON-Verizon life now, because nothing works on Verizon but Verizon phones...however TMobile and all those SIMCard guys can inter switch. So anyway, that's my cell phone experience. AT&T is supposed to be a close second to Verizon. Better already but I'm in the city...guess  I'll report tonight.

Insult to injury, credits already wore out and I was actually paying more for like 10% of service quality.

can you please elaborate on this ?  my cell phone screen is busted and I was considering switching from sprint to t-mobile because I saw the "pay your term fees" ad

(I need to get a phone, and my 13 yo has patiently lived with a crap phone and I want to get her a smart phone)

can you please elaborate on this ? my cell phone screen is busted and I was considering switching from sprint to t-mobile because I saw the "pay your term fees" ad

(I need to get a phone, and my 13 yo has patiently lived with a crap phone and I want to get her a smart phone)

Well basically the big draws over there at T-Mobile for me were the following....no contract, some different phones, cheaper costs for same service, and they pay your termination fees

What ended up happening were that, credits the offered me initially for coming, wore out. Insult to injury, I have a 10% discount from my company and my bill still went up $15.

The service the second you leave Manhattan is shaky at best. I felt like it was 1995 again. I was in Bergen County on Sunday and legitimately didn't have a signal. That's just unreal.

I'll let you know later when I leave the City what my service is, but I get this feeling it's better. You're talking the oldest telephone company in America versus, number 7 or something. It can't even be close.

Oh and the best part...since I brought my phone to AT&T, my monthly bill is like, $60 before taxes, with 2GB monthly data, unlimited talk and text. It's almost like I stole a phone from TMobile. Until last month there was a legitimate arbitrage between AT&T and T-Mobile available and I'm mad I missed it... ATT was paying termination fees up to $450. You could've got a new phone at T-Mobile, quit ASAP and joined ATT. Boom free phone

can you please elaborate on this ?  my cell phone screen is busted and I was considering switching from sprint to t-mobile because I saw the "pay your term fees" ad

Sprint is brutal.  

I went with them when I first got back in the country because the cell was basically my office for the first year and a half and they were the cheapest/best deal for legit unlimited everything.  They SUCK for family plans compared to AT&T, even with this new "framily" baloney.  I sent my Mom to get a phone and had the deal all set up with the salespeople on the phone. It was her first mobile ever.  Her and my Dad don't want people to call them.  If they want to hear from you they will send you a letter.  I'm in Alexandria and she went to a Best Buy in Brooklyn to pick up a smart phone and somehow she ended up with a non-smart phone and my bill was around $40 more a month than they told me for the smart phone.  After fightng with their sales idiots on the phone for weeks I got the bill cut about $20/month.  Big whoop.  I guess I'm the idiot, they get my money.  I would say they were the devil, but they have a long way to go to rival comcast.  

I had T-mobile for a non-smart phone back in the early 2000's before I went overseas.  I never had any trouble making calls, NYC to DC/Montreal/NJ/PA/Long Island.  I find it hard to believe they'd be worse now, but who knows.  T-Mobile will pay the fee to get you out of your contract with Sprint, BUT even though they say there is no contract, you have to buy a new phone for them to do it and what they do is charge you list and prorate it over 24 months.  If you leave you have to pay it all at once.  It's basically a 2 year deal for their new phone. The guy kept trying to make me feel good about paying off the phone on installments.  The Sprint guy kept telling me that T-Mobile would pay the fees, but I would have to front them and they would pay me back.  Neither of them could understand that a $2-500 was not THAT big a deal to me and I was more concerned about an extra $5-10/month than the interest free loan. I'm staying with Sprint for now because I like this phone, but I doubt I'll stick with them for long.

Sprint is horrendous. During sandy (my work phone was sprint) sprint was useless. I used my personal iPhone ( verizon ) during that entire time. My co worker had AT&T and it was ok. The company I worked for wound up canceling the sprint contract over this and we got verizon by February 2013.

Don't know about t mobile. But verizon is the best service provider.

Are you from Madison, Morristown or Charleston? Shady

Grew up in Harding, but my address was listed as Morristown.  Moved to Florham Park while at Madison High School.  After High School, moved to Wilmington, NC for college, and now live in Leland.  Confusing, I know.

If you gotta have 4g LTE everywhere, Verizon is the thing.

We switched from Sprint to Tmobile and are fine with it.  Coverage isn't perfect, but it's better than Sprint was.  I paid cash for 3 used phones so my total bill is about 130.  

Edit:  I'll stay GSM (att or tmobile) for the forseeable future.  My wife works in a huge brick office building and GSM signals are the only ones that can get inside.   CDMA signals (verizon/sprint) go black as soon as she walks in the building.

thanks for all the input guys

my friends daughter went through 4 gigs of data last month in the first month with her new phone. Is that low/avg/high ?

That's high. Streaming videos gobbles up data. Have her stream vids on wifi and she'll be ok.

I have a 1gb plan and I don't look at YouTube unless I'm on wifi.

You can download the my verizon app on your phone and keep track of data usage and

Pay your bill. Also verizon backup assistant app backs up all your contacts.

IIRC, the t-mobile guy told me that they slow down your data as your reach certain limits.  I dont' actually need unlimited data, but I didn't want to get hit with overages.  I was worried about my mom accidentally streaming netflix for a week straight without knowing.  Certainly a possibility when you consider how she handles the TV remote.  I think some of the others give you an amount and charge you fees if you go over. 

Couldn't handle being on TMobile anymore...just switched to AT&T in a moment of terminal frustration...a little back story, I was a lifelong Verizon guy who wanted the Google Nexus 5 and, also saw the lure of the TMobile "we pay your termination fee" Superbowl commercials...this fit in nicely with being sick of Verizon from the FiOS side...so anyway it was cheaper, service was ok and the phone does circles around the iPhone 5S. And then 2 days later, Florida happens. I go there and all my inlaws are on Verizon with full service, and I'm on a single bar of "E" whatever the **** that is. It continues back here up in NJ- the second you leave NYC, service sucks. Insult to injury, credits already wore out and I was actually paying more for like 10% of service quality. I'm married to the NON-Verizon life now, because nothing works on Verizon but Verizon phones...however TMobile and all those SIMCard guys can inter switch. So anyway, that's my cell phone experience. AT&T is supposed to be a close second to Verizon. Better already but I'm in the city...guess  I'll report tonight.

Buy your own GSM / sim card phone and then get service from Straight Talk. $45 per month unlimited voice data texting 4G, LTE you got it no monthly bills it goes on your credit card each month. Did this 2 years ago and never looked back. Best of all? You are actually on the ATT network. Walmart / Straight talk has business agreement with ATT for this.

I live in NY also, service is great and when I travel it has been fine.

Buy your own GSM / sim card phone and then get service from Straight Talk. $45 per month unlimited voice data texting 4G, LTE you got it no monthly bills it goes on your credit card each month. Did this 2 years ago and never looked back. Best of all? You are actually on the ATT network. Walmart / Straight talk has business agreement with ATT for this.

Wut.

So your telling me that for $45 a month, outside of the city, you've had good coverage and no real black outs using this service?

IIRC, the t-mobile guy told me that they slow down your data as your reach certain limits.  I dont' actually need unlimited data, but I didn't want to get hit with overages.  I was worried about my mom accidentally streaming netflix for a week straight without knowing.  Certainly a possibility when you consider how she handles the TV remote.  I think some of the others give you an amount and charge you fees if you go over. 

Explain yourselves.

I am thinking too good to be true.

Explain yourselves.

You hate t-mobile, why do you care?  T-Mobile gives you a limit on your data.  When you reach it they just do something to slow down your speed.  It's probably super annoying, but there is no charge for going over your limit.  The dude at Sprint would never say definitively, but my impression was that if you went over your data limit they would charge you extra. 

You hate t-mobile, why do you care? T-Mobile gives you a limit on your data. When you reach it they just do something to slow down your speed. It's probably super annoying, but there is no charge for going over your limit. The dude at Sprint would never say definitively, but my impression was that if you went over your data limit they would charge you extra.

I was thinking more like you should weigh in on Kleck's claim about Straight Talk. I was told upfront by AT&T that I'd be charged if I went over. But now Kleck here is saying that Straight Talk uses AT&T's pipes, but instead of charging for extra data they just throttle you down. On top of that, the plan is $20-30 cheaper. If this is true, you and I should logically both be switching providers. I wanted a second opinion.

I was thinking more like you should weigh in on Kleck's claim about Straight Talk. I was told upfront by AT&T that I'd be charged if I went over. But now Kleck here is saying that Straight Talk uses AT&T's pipes, but instead of charging for extra data they just throttle you down. On top of that, the plan is $20-30 cheaper. If this is true, you and I should logically both be switching providers. I wanted a second opinion.

I am staying with Sprint for now because I like my phone, but I will certainly be switching within a year or so.  Family/home base situation is a bit fluid and that will influence my decision too. 

Buy your own GSM / sim card phone and then get service from Straight Talk. $45 per month unlimited voice data texting 4G, LTE you got it no monthly bills it goes on your credit card each month. Did this 2 years ago and never looked back. Best of all? You are actually on the ATT network. Walmart / Straight talk has business agreement with ATT for this.

Explain yourselves.

Very simple. If you have an unlocked, GSM (sim card type) phone you can use it on the straight talk network.

Straight Talk is owned by Walmart. They use the ATT network for their subscribers.

Go to Straighttalk.com and see. If you are going to use your own phone they call it the bring your own phone promo.

First you buy a Straight Talk, ATT sim card from them ($6.99) , put it in your phone and then it is $45 per month billed to your credit card for unlimited text talk data 4G LTE in continental USA, HI, AK and PR.

You can bring your own phone to straight talk as long as it is an unlocked phone. If you do not have an unlocked phone you need to get one.

No tricks. I have been doing it for almost 3 years. I have an unlocked iphone that cost me $45 a month and never worry about data text or minutes

You'll want to verify that straighttalk uses *all* of ATT's towers/resources.

my 'Sprint' service was actually virgin mobile, which didn't use all of Sprint's towers.  The service was just as crappy as Sprint but there were some areas where it was weaker.

I've had T-Mobile since November and I couldn't be happier. Bought the N5 and got their $30 plan and it's been really solid for me. Had Sprint for over 2years and it was terrible. Data speeds Were the worst IMO.

Haven't been to NY since I moved over to T-Mobile, so I can't say anything about the service. We'll see this Summer.

I have used T-Mobile all over the world (Australia, India, China, Argentina etc.) with no problem..  When I am in New York I can barely get a signal and a lot of dropped calls. My family has Verizon and the service is a lot better if you ask me, although they do have a flair for sucking the cash right our of your pocket.

I have used T-Mobile all over the world (Australia, India, China, Argentina etc.) with no problem..  When I am in New York I can barely get a signal and a lot of dropped calls. My family has Verizon and the service is a lot better if you ask me, although they do have a flair for sucking the cash right our of your pocket.

TMobile's last big market was the US. I think they're probably the best provider outside of here. If I remember correctly, it was 6 years ago they really ramped it up to get into the USA. Their big spokesperson was Catherine Zeta Jones, which was great. 

Archived