Mayock prediction for CB & WR

Cmartin

So the way NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock sees it, the first-round decision for the New York Jets comes down to best available wide receiver vs. best available cornerback with the 18th pick.

Mayock assessed the Jets' options Thursday on a conference call with reporters. First, some background.

His cornerback rankings are different than most. His top corner is Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech), followed by Darqueze Dennard (Michigan State), Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State) and Bradley Roby (Ohio State). Mayock made an interesting observation, noting Gilbert and Roby are favored by personnel types because of their movement skills while Fuller and Dennard are liked among coaches because they're considered better players than athletes.

"From a cornerback perspective, the Jets could get a Kyle Fuller, a Bradley Roby perhaps ... everybody has different flavors at corner," Mayock said, assuming Dennard and Gilbert will be gone. "It's those four cornerbacks they'd be looking at versus the highest-rated receiver on the board at the same time."

Mayock hasn't revealed his official mock draft, but in a preliminary mock (do we call that a mock mock?), he has the Jets selecting wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (LSU). He believes six receivers will go in the first round, and he has them broken up into three tiers: Sammy Watkins (Clemson) and Mike Evans (Texas A&M), followed by Beckham and Brandin Cooks (Oregon State), followed by Marqise Lee (USC) and Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State).

I wish I could get more excited about drafting a WR that isn't one of those size/speed freaks in the first. I'm just going to lay it all on Geno and the DL. I like the way the offense is coming together this offseason - Decker and Johnson are arguably the two best offensive signings any team made.

I wish I could get more excited about drafting a WR that isn't one of those size/speed freaks in the first. I'm just going to lay it all on Geno and the DL. I like the way the offense is coming together this offseason - Decker and Johnson are arguably the two best offensive signings any team made.

We could sign or draft a bag of douche and you would hype it up.

I think I like Verrett best, but he is a shrimp.  18 is probably too early for a guy that small. He might be great for Rex, seeing how Rex primarily uses his corners to straight up cover, but Idzik seems to prefer longer corners.  I am hoping for a WR I guess. 

I agree -- but it's not a 5'10" and under league.  I want someone who can battle with bigger receivers but not so slow that they get scorched by the little guys.   Gilbert?

So the way NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock sees it, the first-round decision for the New York Jets comes down to best available wide receiver vs. best available cornerback with the 18th pick.

Mayock assessed the Jets' options Thursday on a conference call with reporters. First, some background.

His cornerback rankings are different than most. His top corner is Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech), followed by Darqueze Dennard (Michigan State), Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State) and Bradley Roby (Ohio State). Mayock made an interesting observation, noting Gilbert and Roby are favored by personnel types because of their movement skills while Fuller and Dennard are liked among coaches because they're considered better players than athletes.

"From a cornerback perspective, the Jets could get a Kyle Fuller, a Bradley Roby perhaps ... everybody has different flavors at corner," Mayock said, assuming Dennard and Gilbert will be gone. "It's those four cornerbacks they'd be looking at versus the highest-rated receiver on the board at the same time."

Mayock hasn't revealed his official mock draft, but in a preliminary mock (do we call that a mock mock?), he has the Jets selecting wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (LSU). He believes six receivers will go in the first round, and he has them broken up into three tiers: Sammy Watkins (Clemson) and Mike Evans (Texas A&M), followed by Beckham and Brandin Cooks (Oregon State), followed by Marqise Lee (USC) and Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State).

Following that logic then Gilbert and Roby should both be available at 18. I think Rex will lobby very hard for the DB which is a crying NEED. Jets can address WR in second round with Jordan Matthews or one of several others. I am not that hot on Jets taking WR in round one with the secondary in such bad shape.

"From a cornerback perspective, the Jets could get a Kyle Fuller

Mayock hasn't revealed his official mock draft, but in a preliminary mock (do we call that a mock mock?), he has the Jets selecting wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

This means Mayock has a big board and a copy of the visit list and he knows how to read them.

if the choice is Cooks or Fuller, I go Fuller and then get a WR in round 2. The drop off between CBs is more drastic than the dropoff in WRs. Either way if its a choice between Cooks and Fuller, we are in great shape.

LL

if the choice is Cooks or Fuller, I go Fuller and then get a WR in round 2. The drop off between CBs is more drastic than the dropoff in WRs. Either way if its a choice between Cooks and Fuller, we are in great shape.

LL

I don't think Cooks goes earlier than the Eagles and probably at the end of the round.

LL

I agree, there are more options still at WR after Watkins, Evans, and Beckham are gone than there is at CB once Dennard, Gilbert, and Fuller are gone.  I am sure that one of the before mentioned CB's will still be there at 18. 

Archived