Re-Drafting the New York Jets' 2013 Draft

stugotz81

I wanted Keenan Allen so friggen bad  ....and him and Kenny Stills are perfect examples why I would go for CB in round 1 and go WR in round 2 or 3. Unless Mike Evans magically falls to 18.

And not sure what this kid talking about with Eric Reid over Milliner.  I'm still taking Milliner at #9 bc for one, I feel he will live up to all potential, and for two, our gaping need was a CB last year not a safety.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2044030-re-drafting-the-new-york-jets-2013-draft

Re-Drafting the New York Jets' 2013 Draft

By Aidan Mackie, Featured Columnist

hi-res-26023bcf85e759362031d79d7c7571ff_

Joel Auerbach/Getty Images

The jury is still out on the New York Jets' 2013 draft class, and rightly so.

The Jets found gold with some of their selections, but they also swung and miss on others. 

First-round pick Sheldon Richardson won the Defensive Rookie of the Year and was dominant throughout the season. 

Third-round selection Brian Winters, on the other hand, struggled in the starting role. 

Just ahead of the 2014 draft, let's re-visit last year's draft and see what would be the perfect class for John Idzik and Co.

*You may see a complete lack of offensive linemen and cornerbacks. This isn't because I don't think these positions are needs for the Jets, but rather the positional classes didn't provide great value where New York was picking.

Round 1, Pick 9: Eric Reid
hi-res-e6e71c53b7bd4a8000f62fa62e380e9e_

USA TODAY Sports

Dee Milliner began to come around late in his rookie season, and the Jets are in desperate need for starting-caliber cornerbacks, but Milliner is too big of a question mark to take with the ninth overall selection in this re-draft.

Eric Reid, on the other hand, is far from a question mark.

Reid made the Pro Bowl in his first year in the league. He emerged as a force on the back end of the San Francisco 49ers' defense, recording 77 tackles, 11 pass deflections, four interceptions and two fumble recoveries.

The LSU product is a playmaker in coverage and a superb tackler, and he would immediately quell New York's concerns at safety.

Yes, the ninth pick is extremely early to take a safety.

However, Reid's ability and upside, paired with New York's need for a playmaking defensive back, make this an ideal first selection.

Round 1, Pick 13: Sheldon Richardson
hi-res-97912e980e71d68913be6d8cbb4be156_

Ron Antonelli/Getty Images

John Idzik and Co. made one of the best decisions in recent Jets history by taking Missouri defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson. 

Richardson was arguably the best player of this draft class in his first year, capturing the DPOY and emerging as an integral part of New York's elite run defense. 

Richardson recorded an incredible 78 tackles on the defensive line, along with 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble. 

Along with Muhammad Wilkerson, the 23-year-old will lead one of the league's best defensive fronts for years to come. 

You can't get much better than Richardson at the 13th overall pick.

Round 2, Pick 39: Geno Smith
hi-res-8e73a04dfe3e3c5a7584e899e4dee231_

Joel Auerbach/Getty Images

This was one of the hardest spots to fill, simply because it's hard to predict Geno Smith's future. 

Yes, Smith struggled mightily throughout his rookie year. He threw 21 interceptions to just 12 touchdowns, while fumbling four times and completing under 56 percent of his passes. 

However, Smith's troubles are far from all his fault. 

The West Virginia product was forced into an offense with a subpar line and a historically awful receiving corps. 

The 23-year-old also flashed glimpses of brilliance, showing that he could be a franchise quarterback under the right circumstances. 

The addition of Michael Vick probably bumps Smith into the backup role for at least next year, but there's no doubting that the 39th overall pick is tremendous value for a potential franchise quarterback.

Round 3, Pick 72: Keenan Allen
hi-res-05e174f70b50791c19c29607b7f2de30_

USA TODAY Sports

Brian Winters was forced into an expanded role in his first season, and it was clear from the beginning that he wasn't ready for so much playing time. 

Winters was a liability on the offensive line for most of the year. He's a major question mark entering 2014. 

With their third-round pick, the Jets couldn't go wrong with selecting Keenan Allen. 

Allen turned out to be the steal of the draft, as he emerged as the San Diego Chargers' No. 1 offensive threat. 

Allen recorded 76 catches, 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns in 2013, while playing a major role in revitalizing Philip Rivers' career and leading San Diego to a playoff berth.

New York's offense would be a lot more dangerous with Allen on the outside.

With the addition of Eric Decker, the Jets would actually have one of the game's strongest receiving corps if they took Allen in the third round of last year's draft.

Round 5, Pick 141: Kenny Stills

hi-res-090048870c021e2d2088a10b3aa6caa2_

USA TODAY Sports

Make it two straight wideouts for Rex Ryan and the Jets. 

New York's original selection with this pick, Oday Aboushi, didn't make much of a contribution in his rookie season, so the Jets would be better off selecting someone else. 

Kenny Stills surprisingly emerged as one of the New Orleans Saints' most explosive playmakers in 2013. 

Stills caught just 32 passes, but he turned that low number into an astounding 641 yards and five touchdowns.

The Oklahoma product averaged an NFL-best 20.0 yards per catch, and he was responsible for four touchdowns of over 50 yards.

Gang Green desperately needs a dangerous deep threat who can open up the offense.

Kenny Stills would be that guy. 

Round 6, Pick 178: Andre Ellington
hi-res-cb290a97b5e9b38994c6d47af99362f1_

USA TODAY Sports

The Jets finally found a speedy and electric running back with the addition of Chris Johnson. 

However, if the Jets would have taken Andre Ellington in the sixth round of last year's draft, they would have no need for Johnson. 

Ellington emerged as the best back on the Arizona Cardinals' roster in his first season, as he averaged a tremendous 5.5 yards per carry and caught 39 passes. 

The Clemson product is an elite playmaker who can take it to the house on any given touch. 

Ellington provided tremendous value for Arizona in the sixth round, and he would do the same for John Idzik and the Jets.

Round 7, Pick 215: Tommy Bohanon

hi-res-2285aa066c7e8d1a7db4481e3c5597b9_

The Jets surprisingly got great value from the usually disposable seventh-round pick. 

Tommy Bohanon didn't load up the stat sheet, but he was a consistent force in the blocking department. 

Bohanon opened up holes for Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell in the running game, while protecting Geno Smith well in the passing attack. 

The Wake Forest product will never be a flashy player, but he's a solid fullback in a league where the position is dying. 

In the seventh round, you can't do much better.

So Ducasse is playing LG the whole season? 

Yeah seriously.  Shiny skill players sound great, and certainly I'd have loved to have gotten Kenan Allen, but they don't mean anything if you have a turnstile anywhere on your OL.

Was Winters any better?

The K. Allen one kills me, from the start of thev2nd round on, I was expecting his name to be called.

If we are basing this on need, the Jets would now basically have zero hope at CB and G.  I can certainly see that Allen is a greater value than Winters, but there wasn't some late round guard worth taking?  Bad as the Jets WRs were, they did have Holmes.  At G they had Colon (injury risk) Peterman (injured, sucked, cut) and Ducasse.  I think the 3rd tackle going into the draft was Dennis Landolt. 

This is why you can say we had a decent draft. Even if look back this article like 2 of the Top 3 picks still make sense. I think all 3 of them made sense.

I think they fudged it up in the 3rd, 5th and 6th round. I still can live with the Winters pick but not sure why Campbell was drafted when he could have been easily available in the UDFA market. ABoushi better show something to deserve the 5th round selection.

But hey if all you can complain one year after the draft is about the 5th and 6th round selection then the organization did pretty good.

This article stopped making sense the minute Sheldon Richardson was still available at #13.

I mean the dude is flat out awesome, and the author even has us passing on him at #9?

Dumb.

This article stopped making sense the minute Sheldon Richardson was still available at #13.

I mean the dude is flat out awesome, and the author even has us passing on him at #9?

Dumb.

I assume this is one those knowing what you know now exercises where the Jets have the benefit of hindsight but the other teams don't and do the same thing as 2013.

Dumb.

That is awesome.  

Archived