McCoy: Vick 'way better' than Geno

stugotz81

Not sure if he is "way better" than Geno, but I do think he is better.  Time will tell.  

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10855930/lesean-mccoy-says-michael-vick-new-york-jets-way-better-geno-smith

The New York Jets may not have identified their starting quarterback, but as far as LeSean McCoy is concerned, Michael Vick is an easy choice over Geno Smith.

McCoy, speaking Monday at a Philadelphia Eagles charity event, told the New York Post that Vick is "way better" than Smith and should be the Jets' starter in 2014.

ipad_gb_michaelvick_leseanmccoy_332.jpg
Geoff Burke/USA TODAY SportsLeSean McCoy, who was Michael Vick's teammate in Philadelphia for five years, said the veteran quarterback should start for the Jets over Geno Smith.

"Vick is going to be the starting quarterback this year," McCoy told the Post. "He's way better than Geno Smith. Way better. That's no contest."

Coach Rex Ryan has said the team signed Vick to push Smith, a diplomatic way of saying the Jets are not completely sold on the second-year player.

Smith said last week during the Jets' offseason program that he is confident he'll remain the starter.

Vick, however, has four years of background in offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's offense thanks to their time together with the Eagles, which could give him an edge in the competition.

But the 33-year-old Vick appeared in just seven games last season and has been plagued by injuries since returning to the NFL in 2009. McCoy acknowledged that his former teammate will have to stay healthy to maintain an edge over Smith.

"[Vick's health is] the big question, and that's the only thing," McCoy told the Post. "The thing here was, he didn't lose his job. He just got hurt and lost his job to injury. But as far as who's the better quarterback, he's way better than Geno Smith. That's obvious."

“ 

Vick is going to be the [Jets'] starting quarterback this year. He's way better than Geno Smith. Way better. That's no contest.

-- LeSean McCoy, to the New York Post

McCoy told the paper that Vick would be a positive influence for the Jets, citing the veteran quarterback's leadership during last year's controversy after Eagles receiver Riley Cooperwas caught on video using a racial slur.

"He'll definitely be a leader in the locker room," McCoy said. "Who smoothed over a lot of that Riley Cooper incident? Mike Vick -- a great player who's been through some negative moments and is now positive about it. He's a great [veteran], and he'll help the team out in that way."

Smith started every game last season, helping the Jets to a surprising 8-8 record, but he was wildly inconsistent over the first 12 games.

The Jets cut Mark Sanchez (who later signed with Philadelphia) in late March and promptly signed Vick to a one-year, $4 million contract. Vick has referred to Smith as the starter, but the coaching staff hasn't made any pronouncements.

"I respect what Mike said, but I understand there's a competition," Smith said last week. "It comes down to what we do on the field."

ESPN.com Jets reporter Rich Cimini contributed to this report.

A seasoned veteran in Michael Vick SHOULD be way better than what we seen out of a Rookie QB. This is the point of bringing him here. It doesn't mean that Vick is automatically given the job, it just means that Geno must rise to the occasion. McCoy needs to close his mouth and have a seat.

what a blinding glimpse of the obvious--according to the numbers there are 31 NFL starters better than geno and a few backups

Maybe 29 starters, but not 31. 

Geno is better than Chad Henne or whoever the Raiders are currently planning on starting. 

If they actually believe that Vick is better and will probably start, thempn we absolutely have to look at taking a qb in the first 2 rds.

Take Bridgewater at18 or trade back a little and take either him or Carr.

Newsflash: LeSean McCoy does not work in the Jets front office. His opinion is meaningless. 

Maybe 29 starters, but not 31. 

Geno is better than Chad Henne or whoever the Raiders are currently planning on starting. 

geno has one thing going for him--a (hopefully) long runway.

I'm sure he's comparing Vick to the only Geno he's seen: 2013 Geno.  And McCoy would be right on that one, since Geno was pretty bad on balance.  

How each would have done if transplanted to the other's teams for the 2013 season is anyone's guess.  Though the receivers don't make the QB, I'm sure that compared to the numbers each did put up last season (partial season for Vick), Smith's numbers would have improved on Philadelphia and Vick's would have suffered on the Jets.

I'm equally sure the Jets feel that 2014 Geno will be "way" better than 2013 Geno as well.

Vick will be competing with 2014 Geno, not 2013 Geno.  If 2014 Geno = 2013 Geno, Vick will run away with the starting job.  And I will be a sad Sperm.

I still don't get the fascination some have with Michael Vick. This is a guy who has only thrown for more than 3000 yards twice in his career in a league where the standard is now 4000 yards. He has also only thrown 20 or more TDs twice. 

In his most productive year, he passed and ran for 3694 yards and put 30 TDs on the board. For comparison sakes: in Mark Sanchez's most productive year he passed and ran for 3577 yards and put 32 TDs on the board.

Vick is all hype. 

I still don't get the fascination some have with Michael Vick. This is a guy who has only thrown for more than 3000 yards twice in his career in a league where the standard is now 4000 yards. He has also only thrown 20 or more TDs twice. 

In his most productive year, he passed and ran for 3694 yards and put 30 TDs on the board. For comparison sakes: in Mark Sanchez's most productive year he passed and ran for 3577 yards and put 32 TDs on the board.

Vick is all hype. 

the fascination is more about not having faith in geno than actually liking vick; at least for me anyways

"We believe Michael Vick should start.  He'll be especially valuable in the latter games of the season"

-Milton VanVorgman, Charman, National association of Emergency Room physicians and orthopedic repair equipment manufacturers

You know, I can't figure out why people talk about Geno as if he were terrible. He did have some ugly turnovers, but I thought those were attributable to a combination of being a rookie (he wasn't even supposed to be the starter last season) and having very little receiving talent around him. I mean, it tells you something when the offense's #1 receiver was technically Santonio Holmes.

He was able to beat a few playoff teams last year, he can scramble and throw the ball downfield with velocity and accuracy. I think he's learned from last year and become a great QB.

Besides, Vick is old.

You know, I can't figure out why people talk about Geno as if he were terrible. He did have some ugly turnovers, but I thought those were attributable to a combination of being a rookie (he wasn't even supposed to be the starter last season) and having very little receiving talent around him. I mean, it tells you something when the offense's #1 receiver was technically Santonio Holmes.

He was able to beat a few playoff teams last year, he can scramble and throw the ball downfield with velocity and accuracy. I think he's learned from last year and become a great QB.

Besides, Vick is old.

There was enough positives from Geno to at least give him the first right of refusal for the gig. Going with another rookie next year(Teddy, Bortles whatever other meh prospect) and you're starting from square one again. Personally I'd rather see what Geno has anyway.

There was enough positives from Geno to at least give him the first right of refusal for the gig. Going with another rookie next year(Teddy, Bortles whatever other meh prospect) and you're starting from square one again. Personally I'd rather see what Geno has anyway.

This board has low standards.

Archived