Vick says Geno is the starter

Cmartin

NJ.com has been on top of everything as of late, and were able to catch-up with Vick for a couple interesting statements.

“Geno’s the starting quarterback for that football team,” Vick said in a brief interview this afternoon during a family fitness event at Knight’s Personal Fitness in this city’s Kensington neighborhood.

“Ultimately our goal is to try to help Geno become the best quarterback that he can be. Myself and [third-stringer Matt Simms] are all trying to put him in a position where he can get better from year one to year two.”

The veteran quarterback did go on to say that he’s “still a starter” and not a backup QB.

It’s becoming more and more evident that the Jets are letting second round selection, QB Geno Smith, hold onto the keys to the franchise—for now. Given the right tools, we’re not ready to move on, either.

Make sure to read the full article: Let there be no doubt: Michael Vick says Geno Smith is Jets’ starting QB

This is good news, and has been my thought all along.  When you read Vick's first press conference he had that tone.  I am here to support Geno etc....seemed like they told him Geno was going to be the guy unless he completely laid an egg in camp.

NJ.com has a very interesting quote from Michael Vick.  They spoke to him at a family fitness event.  Vick told NJ.com:

Geno’s the starting quarterback for that football team.

Ultimately our goal is to try to help Geno become the best quarterback that he can be. Myself and [third-stringer Matt Simms] are all trying to put him in a position where he can get better from year one to year two.

In March, we ran what we called the real story on Michael Vick.  The short version is that Vick would serve as a backup to Geno.  Here is a short excerpt:

The good news is, that isn’t the Jets game plan. Michael Vick will compete with Geno Smith for the starting job in training camp. Geno Smith will win and then Vick can serve as a backup and football mentor. The Jets want Geno Smith to win this competition and as we learned last year, that goes a long way towards determining the winner. Vick does know Marty Morhinweg’s offense very well and that will come in handy as he serves as the backup QB. He will see the field if Geno gets hurt, if Geno doesn’t perform and in special packages (Wildcat anyone?)

During Michael Vick’s first press conference his tone seemed to indicate that he expected to be a backup QB.

First and foremost I came to compete and be a helping hand for Geno, and he has a long way to go.  We both talked.  We both agreed we’re going to push one another and make each other better.  So whatever happens, happens.  And I know what I signed up for.  At the end of the day I’ll be content with it.

Let us know what you think about in our forums.  Or send us a tweet with your thoughts @JetNation.

I keep waiting and watching for Vick to say or do the wrong thing, but he just isn't doing it!  Can it be possible that he has grown up and has changed?  I can't say that I will ever like him, but he is making it hard to hate him nowadays.

First and foremost I came to compete and be a helping hand for Geno, and he has a long way to go.  We both talked.  We both agreed we’re going to push one another and make each other better.  So whatever happens, happens. 

Doesn't exactly sound like he has the utmost respect for Geno, or that he necessarily expects to not win the starting job. I'm sure the Jets want Geno to be the starter, and I'm sure that was explained to Vick, but he's clearly not here to be Mark Brunnel or David Garrard. Sounds to me like he intends to either push Geno to be better, or push him out of the way. Which, as much as I don't like Vick as a QB or a human being, is a good thing. But he's not here to just be the good soldier. Lol.

Doesn't exactly sound like he has the utmost respect for Geno, or that he necessarily expects to not win the starting job. I'm sure the Jets want Geno to be the starter, and I'm sure that was explained to Vick, but he's clearly not here to be Mark Brunnel or David Garrard. Sounds to me like he intends to either push Geno to be better, or push him out of the way. Which, as much as I don't like Vick as a QB or a human being, is a good thing. But he's not here to just be the good soldier. Lol.

Someone I know just spent time with Geno Smith in a non-football environment.  Geno praised Vick and said they are good friends.  Told him that Vick actually helped him a lot when he came into the league last year.  Geno spoke very highly of his relationship with Vick.

I think Vick was brought in to push Geno and present him with a legitimate threat to his role as starter. But it's obvious what the FO wants. 

My one beef with Vick so far is this nonsense with his number. I really take issue with the whole, "I'm switching to 1 because 8 didn't look good on me." Way to let us know your priorities are in order Mike!

Vick is playing the part of good soldier while definitely leaving the door open for him to become the starter if certain things happen.  If Geno improves then Vick would have to play up a storm to beat him out.  But if Geno doesn't seem to improve much, then Vick is right there for 2014.

I think Vick was brought in to push Geno and present him with a legitimate threat to his role as starter. But it's obvious what the FO wants. 

My one beef with Vick so far is this nonsense with his number. I really take issue with the whole, "I'm switching to 1 because 8 didn't look good on me." Way to let us know your priorities are in order Mike!

that's like saying you dislike charles manson because they way he clips his nails is annoying. there are plenty of reasons to hate vick you don't have to try so hard to find one.

Of course you'd have an "issue" with that, of course.

Archived