Who do you want?

BroadwayJets

Enough with the ******* corners, people.

Who do you want?

If Beckham is on the board, the Jets are drafting him.  I'm confident in that.  However, if he's not than I'm thinking that means the board is going to fall in such a way that CB will be BAP.  And they'll stick to their big board and take a corner and there is nothing wrong with that.  In fact, its exactly what you should do for a team in rebuild.  Besides, BAP + need = success

Tons of WR's and TE's in the draft that can be had rounds 2-4 that are going to be players in this league.  Taking a CB in RD1 is not the end of the world.  The offense can still be addressed.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you want?

If Beckham is on the board, the Jets are drafting him.  I'm confident in that.  However, if he's not than I'm thinking that means the board is going to fall in such a way that CB will be BAP.  And they'll stick to their big board and take a corner and there is nothing wrong with that.  In fact, its exactly what you should do for a team in rebuild.  Besides, BAP + need = success

Tons of WR's and TE's in the draft that can be had rounds 2-4 that are going to be players in this league.  Taking a CB in RD1 is not the end of the world.  The offense can still be addressed.

Yeah, I agree 100%. If CB is your BAP at #18, it's an absolute no-brainer pick. It's always wise to take the BAP, and getting a BAP at a serious need -and high value position like CB- is just a bonus.

I get the fan fatigue, but it's misguided, IMHO. The Jets took Milliner at #9 last year and no one really batted an eye, and that was with an Antonio Cromartie on the roster that most of us were confident was a #1 type CB based on his play the year before. He wasn't, and now he's gone. The Jets fielded one of the worst secondaries in the league last year. Milliner came on at the end of the year, but this group needs serious help.

I'm rooting for Beckham to be there, but if he's not, CB will probably make too much sense to pass up. The WR position is much deeper than CB in this year's draft. If you have a WR and CB rated similarly in the first, it's probably wise to go CB because more and better quality WRs will be available for another few rounds. I'd pass up a Brandin Cooks in hopes of landing a guy like Dri Archer in the fourth to fill a similar role.

Plus, T0m and much of JN will lose their collective minds, which is always fun on draft day. How many folks still haven't gotten over the disaster than was the Sheldon Richardson pick? I don't know if the franchise will ever recover from that one.

1st - Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State

2nd - Davante Adams WR, Fresno State

3rd - Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State

4th - Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State

4th - C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

4th - Aaron Murray - QB, Georgia

5th - Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas

6th - Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina

6th - Colt Lyeria, TE, Oregan

6th - Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina

6th - Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State

7th - De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

How aesthetic of you.

I know many disagree, but I do not want a corner in the first. I have enough confidence in Rex that he can make Millner and whoever work at CB. If we go defense I want a pass rushing stud, and/or someone who can cover a damn TE for once.

That said, I really, really want us to go offense. I am not suggesting reaching, but lets not act like its such a science that BPA is the be all and end all. You do have to trust your grades to an extent, but if it is even close I would strongly prefer offense. I like Decker, but lets not act like our offense is fixed all the sudden. The defensive talent is still light years ahead of the offensive talent overall.

Yeah, I agree 100%. If CB is your BAP at #18, it's an absolute no-brainer pick. It's always wise to take the BAP, and getting a BAP at a serious need -and high value position like CB- is just a bonus.

I get the fan fatigue, but it's misguided, IMHO. The Jets took Milliner at #9 last year and no one really batted an eye, and that was with an Antonio Cromartie on the roster that most of us were confident was a #1 type CB based on his play the year before. He wasn't, and now he's gone. The Jets fielded one of the worst secondaries in the league last year. Milliner came on at the end of the year, but this group needs serious help.

I'm rooting for Beckham to be there, but if he's not, CB will probably make too much sense to pass up. The WR position is much deeper than CB in this year's draft. If you have a WR and CB rated similarly in the first, it's probably wise to go CB because more and better quality WRs will be available for another few rounds. I'd pass up a Brandin Cooks in hopes of landing a guy like Dri Archer in the fourth to fill a similar role.

Plus, T0m and much of JN will lose their collective minds, which is always fun on draft day. How many folks still haven't gotten over the disaster than was the Sheldon Richardson pick? I don't know if the franchise will ever recover from that one.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets are looking to trade into the top 10, and are "very hot on" LSU WR Odell Beckham.

Beckham's media-perceived stock has been soaring in recent days, while he's now been linked to both the Jets and Eagles in potential trade ups. The Jets pick at No. 18, Philly at No. 22. The 49ers are also reportedly "very interested" in the 5-foot-11, 198-pound speedster. According to SI's Peter King, the Bills "love" him.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets are looking to trade into the top 10, and are "very hot on" LSU WR Odell Beckham.

Beckham's media-perceived stock has been soaring in recent days, while he's now been linked to both the Jets and Eagles in potential trade ups. The Jets pick at No. 18, Philly at No. 22. The 49ers are also reportedly "very interested" in the 5-foot-11, 198-pound speedster. According to SI's Peter King, the Bills "love" him.

this is lying season

don't believe a word of it

IMHO, trading up in this year's class continues to be a stupid idea. If Idzik makes such a move, I'm going to lose a lot of confidence in him. A lot.

Who do you want?

Duh...are you listening to this guy? Idzik I hope you are reading what this guy just wrote.  Personally, I would take Gilbert, Denard or Cooks first in that order over Beckham.  But wouldn't be disappointed if Beckham was the pick.  

IMHO, trading up in this year's class continues to be a stupid idea. If Idzik makes such a move, I'm going to lose a lot of confidence in him. A lot.

If Gilbert is there at 13 it would be stupid NOT TO TRADE UP.  Gilbert is a stud and would instantly solidify the corners with Milliner for years to come. 

With tons of picks in this draft, we can afford to trade up. On top of that, this draft is very deep in talent so we will still have ample picks to improve the offense

(Wr and TE)

Enough with the ******* corners, people.

Yea ok lets let Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers and Roethlisberger throw for 10 billion yards against us in the first 10 games of the season.  If we don't shore up the secondary we could easily go 3-7 in the first 10 games. 

Who do you want?

If Beckham is on the board, the Jets are drafting him. I'm confident in that. However, if he's not than I'm thinking that means the board is going to fall in such a way that CB will be BAP. And they'll stick to their big board and take a corner and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, its exactly what you should do for a team in rebuild. Besides, BAP + need = success

Tons of WR's and TE's in the draft that can be had rounds 2-4 that are going to be players in this league. Taking a CB in RD1 is not the end of the world. The offense can still be addressed.

Shut up and tell your favorite coach to patch together a starting CB out of Dmitri Patterson, Kyle Wilson, and Darrin Walls. It's ridiculous that we have to talk about CB being a need yet again when the coach is allegedly a defensive savant. Just admit that Rex doesn't develop talent outside of the DL and we'll move on.

Yea ok lets let Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers and Roethlisberger throw for 10 billion yards against us in the first 10 games of the season. If we don't shore up the secondary we could easily go 3-7 in the first 10 games.

Good

If Gilbert is there at 13 it would be stupid NOT TO TRADE UP.  Gilbert is a stud and would instantly solidify the corners with Milliner for years to come. 

With tons of picks in this draft, we can afford to trade up. On top of that, this draft is very deep in talent so we will still have ample picks to improve the offense

(Wr and TE)

The "tons of picks" are all on the third day of the draft. Three-quarters of the Jets picks will take place on Saturday. That's not ammo to move up in the first round. Those moves take a second or third round pick - which is exactly the kind of move the Jets can't afford to make in a deep draft. At a bare minimum, they need to keep their top three picks. Ideally, they'd trade down and add a pick or two in the top 100.

You trade up in a weak draft. This isn't a weak draft. It's difficult (if not impossible) to come up with a draft day scenario that results in the Jets being unable to draft a potential day one starter at #18.

I'm cautiously optimistic that last year will serve as a guide to this year, and Idzik will stand pat (or attempt to trade down) and take advantage of the talent available to him. If he does attempt to trade up, I hope his miserly negotiation tactics result in either a fantastic deal - or no deal at all.

(Wr and TE)

Dennard plays better man than Gilbert

The "tons of picks" are all on the third day of the draft. Three-quarters of the Jets picks will take place on Saturday. That's not ammo to move up in the first round. Those moves take a second or third round pick - which is exactly the kind of move the Jets can't afford to make in a deep draft. At a bare minimum, they need to keep their top three picks. Ideally, they'd trade down and add a pick or two in the top 100.

You trade up in a weak draft. This isn't a weak draft. It's difficult (if not impossible) to come up with a draft day scenario that results in the Jets being unable to draft a potential day one starter at #18.

I'm cautiously optimistic that last year will serve as a guide to this year, and Idzik will stand pat (or attempt to trade down) and take advantage of the talent available to him. If he does attempt to trade up, I hope his miserly negotiation tactics result in either a fantastic deal - or no deal at all.

With you on this one. We have a question mark at QB and a lot of areas on the team that could use upgrades. Outside of it being a franchise QB, we're not close to being one elite player away from being a SB contender. If they want to spin a 4th rounder to move up in the 2nd or 3rd or something for a prospect they love I can live with it, but I'd really like to spend all of our picks in rounds 1-4 and trade up with the later picks since I can see a few of our 5-7 round prospects getting cut because of the lack of roster spots.

If they are ultra-aggressive in moving up in the 1st round of this draft then it completely sh*ts on the long-term ideals of their approach in FA.

(Wr and TE)

LOL, the Jet fan mentality is mind boggling.

Dennard also plays Kyle Wilson coverage where he's caught playing the man and not the ball. Plus he lacks elite speed. Not saying he's a bad prospect, just that I think we can do better in this draft.

Yup I agree, but I think we're more likely to pick Dennard over Gilbert if the opportunity presents itself

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks thinks the Jets are "pushing for me."

"It's been big time," Cooks said of the Jets' interest. "We've been talking a lot on and off." If GM John Idzik ends up staying at No. 18, the speedy Cooks would make plenty of sense as an underneath complement to new top target Eric Decker. Cooks has also been recently linked to the Chiefs, who hold the 23rd overall pick.

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks thinks the Jets are "pushing for me."

"It's been big time," Cooks said of the Jets' interest. "We've been talking a lot on and off." If GM John Idzik ends up staying at No. 18, the speedy Cooks would make plenty of sense as an underneath complement to new top target Eric Decker. Cooks has also been recently linked to the Chiefs, who hold the 23rd overall pick.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said we are trading up for OBJ

Yup, exact same thing.

I give these GM's credit, the next 4 days are their SB, and with the innernets, all the disinfo and rumors are a real test of their mettle

I would love to be able to listen to a call while a team is on the clock fielding trade offers.  I bet the team making the offer tries to stall to put clock pressure on the team picking.   classic pregnant pause stuff

I give these GM's credit, the next 4 days are their SB, and with the innernets, all the disinfo and rumors are a real test of their mettle

I would love to be able to listen to a call while a team is on the clock fielding trade offers.  I bet the team making the offer tries to stall to put clock pressure on the team picking.   classic pregnant pause stuff

Larz, I was just trying to point out that your boyfriend's aunts  etc analogy was a poor one. The kid himself saying that the Jets have had tons of contact with him is not hearsay. Make of it what you will, but hearsay and rumor mongering it is not.

Larz, I was just trying to point out that your boyfriend's aunts  etc analogy was a poor one. The kid himself saying that the Jets have had tons of contact with him is not hearsay. Make of it what you will, but hearsay and rumor mongering it is not.

that was a ferris bueller quote, one of my fave movies.

they talk to everybody, and these days they all tweet about it

I have been watching the NFL networks rookie shows, the players say every team tells them they will try to take them.

Shut up and tell your favorite coach to patch together a starting CB out of Dmitri Patterson, Kyle Wilson, and Darrin Walls. It's ridiculous that we have to talk about CB being a need yet again when the coach is allegedly a defensive savant. Just admit that Rex doesn't develop talent outside of the DL and we'll move on.

Right?  The secondary has been the best in the league under his tenure all but 1 season with some of the worst safeties you can find, made Revis the best corner in the game, turned Cro's career around, managed Milliner perfectly to where he looked like a different player down the stretch, made Kyle Wilson one of the best nickel corners in the game but yeah Rex cant develop.

Besides all that, you're missing the point.  CB might just be the BAP and passing because the fans will be mad is stupid, like you.

Archived