Jets keeping tabs on first round QBs: Rapoport

T0mShane

Not usually inclined to agree with Myers but a broken clock is right twice daily.

The Jets as a franchise devalue the most important position on the field. Or screw it up, like taking Sanchez or Smith.

The don't like Smith. If they thought he was anything Vick would not be here.

I look at Manizel tagging Bama of for 600+ yards or his bowl game and see Fran (3 Super Bowl berths) Tarkenton, or Russell Wilson with more mobility and a better arm.

The Jets take a safety. This guy had better be the 2nd coming of Ed Reed.

Tarkenton was also barely 6 foot and all of 190 after a big breakfast.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TarkFr00.htm

And the Pats take Garrapolo. Of course.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-teams-rue-passing-johnny-football-article-1.1786941

NY Jets, other teams will rue passing on QB Johnny Manziel in NFL draft

Manziel will be busy the next few years proving how many teams blew it by passing him up to instead take players who will one day be the answer to the trivia question: Who did your team select instead of taking the most electric and magical player in the 2014 draft?

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, May 9, 2014, 11:23 PM

Jason Miller/Getty ImagesJohnny Manziel is already hot in Cleveland, and other teams will regret not snagging him.

It’s the Johnny Football Payback Tour that will be opening about as off-Broadway as it gets — in Cleveland — even if he could have been a star on Broadway with the Jets.

Johnny Manziel will be busy the next few years proving how many teams blew it by passing him up to instead take players who will one day be the answer to the trivia question: Who did your team select instead of taking the most electric and magical player in the 2014 draft?

The pressure is not only on the coaches and GMs who didn’t take Manziel, but there is huge pressure on Johnny Football, too, to inject life into a dormant franchise in Cleveland that has made the playoffs just once since it came back into the NFL in 1999. The old Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996, and the new Ravens have won two Super Bowls.

Manziel Mania — it’s Tebow Mania 2.0 except this kid can play — has overwhelmed Cleveland, a sports town that can’t catch a break. Even hometown hero LeBron James escaped. And with all the good feelings in Cleveland, there was bad news for the Browns with ESPN reporting that star receiver Josh Gordon faces a year-long suspension for another failed drug test, this one for marijuana.

By late Friday, less than 24 hours after the Browns traded up to No. 22 to select Manziel on Thursday night, they had sold more than 2,300 season tickets, and each of their games will be sold out in 2014. Manziel’s No. 2 Browns jersey was in high demand with fans lined up at the stadium store.

Part of the Manziel mystique is the company he keeps. He’s buddies with James, so naturally he was asked at his introductory news conference in Cleveland if he could get King James to come back home and resume his career with the Cavaliers.

“I don’t think I can do that,” Manziel said.

Manziel said he went into the draft “with expectations where I might go, but no certainty,” and getting passed over so many times “adds some fuel to the fire.” He will compete with journeyman Brian Hoyer for the starting job in Cleveland.

Julio Cortez/APGang Green takes Calvin Pryor with the 18th overall pick in the NFL draft.

The Browns, Texans and Vikings all passed on Manziel in the top 10 and then all three wanted to trade up to No. 22 when the Eagles put the pick up for sale. Manziel was the target of the Vikings and presumably the Texans.

I think Manziel is going to make teams regret they didn’t pick him.

Here are my top five:

-- Jets: Broadway Johnny would have sold PSLs, that’s for sure. The Jets are clearly not sold on Geno Smith — that’s why they signed Michael Vick. John Idzik, the Jets’ methodical GM, surely wanted no part of bringing the circus back to town after inheriting and then cutting Tim Tebow last year. I don’t think he would have taken Manziel even if the Jets didn’t have a young QB. Me? I would much rather have Manziel than Smith, not even close. Tebow was a sideshow. Manziel has New York star quality and at No. 18 would have been a steal.

-- Cowboys: Jerry Jones displayed incredible restraint not keeping his pal Johnny Football in Texas when he was still on the board at No. 16. But Jones is all-in on Tony Romo (he signed a six-year, $108 million extension last year with a record $55 million guaranteed), even though he’s 34 years old, has won only one playoff game and is coming off back surgery two years in a row.

Manziel-to-the-Cowboys would have made the Tebow circus with the Jets look like a warmup act. Jones said taking Manziel was not even a consideration.

“Tony had everything to do with this decision,” he said. “We have a big commitment to Tony. There is no way a quarterback comes in here and beats out Tony Romo. He is going to be the quarterback of the Cowboys for years to come.”

Marvin Fong/APJohnny Manziel's jersey is popular as Browns Team Shop employee Bethany Davis shows it off.

But with Romo breaking down physically, developing Manziel to replace him in a year or two would have protected Dallas in the future. Instead, Jones took offensive lineman Zack Martin to protect Romo rather than get help for the Cowboys’ historically bad defense.

-- Jaguars: They shook up the early portion of the first round by taking Central Florida QB Blake Bortles at No. 3. There were reports they liked Bortles so much they would have taken him over Jadeveon Clowney. Bortles over Manziel? “Johnny is always going to be Johnny,” Jacksonville GM David Caldwell said. “He’s electric. For our system, we felt Blake was going to be the best fit.”

They plan to start Chad Henne and not rush Bortles. I think Manziel will be special. Not so much with Bortles.

-- Bucs: The day before the draft, the rumors were the Bucs loved Manziel and would trade up from No. 7 to get him. But they stayed put and took his teammate, wide receiver Mike Evans. New coach Lovie Smith brought in veteran Josh McCown to start and proclaimed that Mike Glennon, who had 19 TDs and nine INTs as a rookie in 2013, is the QB of the future. If they had taken Manziel, they would have traded Glennon. Smith made the decision he would rather have Glennon and Evans than Manziel and the mid-round pick he could have secured for Glennon. Manziel is magic: The Bucs should have taken him.

-- Vikings: They moved from No. 8 to No. 9 and selected linebacker Anthony Barr, whom they had rated as the second-best edge rusher after Clowney. When Manziel slipped in the first round, Minnesota unsuccessfully tried to trade up to get him. The Vikings then traded up to No. 32 and selected Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater. Minnesota went to three Super Bowls in the ’70s with Fran Tarkenton, and Manziel plays a similar game. Barr better be a pretty good pass rusher.

Johnny Football was on Broadway this week, and it’s too bad the Jets didn’t invite him to stay.

bugg, they just find the angle that makes the jets look bad a repeat it and pass it around.  no original thought involved

johnny broadway makes their lives easier, they wanted him here for their own reasons

I like the drama free jets.  the circus is almost totally gone.  now we have a smart, patient, media proof GM

who I would imagine had to hold off woody to take pryor.  tanny would have traded up to #9 for manziel after falling for a rumor and giving in to woody. (sorry, had to, lol)

so rejoice we have a GM who can stand up to that idiot, and the pats* have already begun planning for life after brady.

Archived