I'm starting to think it's all smoke

slats

The Jets have been linked to Ebron and Beckham. Cooks and Lee are talking about being drafted by the Jets. Are we to believe that John Idzik, the media shunning adult in the room, has a leak in his front office? Or is the ever calculating Idzik actually out there pumping false information? There's been some media speculation about the Jets needing a CB, but no tie-ins back to the Jets. Is that because the Jets aren't interested? Or is it by design?

And this trading up talk. Reports that the Jets are following the top QBs, and have an interest in trading up into the top ten for Beckham. Did Idzik allow his hopes and dreams to leak out?

I'm starting to think it's all smoke. That the Jets are throwing out all these links to the WRs and Ebron in hopes that teams will trade ahead of them to take those players and push a CB down to them. And while the Jets are rumored to've spoken to teams about trading up, I find it really hard to believe that the value-oriented Idzik would be interested in trading up for a WR most people thought would easily be there at #18 just a couple weeks ago. I think if he's thinking about moving up, he wants people to think he's after offense, but really has his sights set on an impact difference making pass rusher like Anthony Barr.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think...

• Upvote 1

The Jets have been linked to Ebron and Beckham. Cooks and Lee are talking about being drafted by the Jets. Are we to believe that John Idzik, the media shunning adult in the room, has a leak in his front office? Or is the ever calculating Idzik actually out there pumping false information? There's been some media speculation about the Jets needing a CB, but no tie-ins back to the Jets. Is that because the Jets aren't interested? Or is it by design?

And this trading up talk. Reports that the Jets are following the top QBs, and have an interest in trading up into the top ten for Beckham. Did Idzik allow his hopes and dreams to leak out?

I'm starting to think it's all smoke. That the Jets are throwing out all these links to the WRs and Ebron in hopes that teams will trade ahead of them to take those players and push a CB down to them. And while the Jets are rumored to've spoken to teams about trading up, I find it really hard to believe that the value-oriented Idzik would be interested in trading up for a WR most people thought would easily be there at #18 just a couple weeks ago. I think if he's thinking about moving up, he wants people to think he's after offense, but really has his sights set on an impact difference making pass rusher like Anthony Barr.

or maybe he wants people to think it's all a smoke screen, and he really is targeting the WR... wifom'd... your mafia skills are waning

• Upvote 1

or maybe he wants people to think it's all a smoke screen, and he really is targeting the WR... wifom'd... your mafia skills are waning

Haha, it's true. I'm out of practice.

This was my feeling when the post about Jets trading up to the top 10 for Beckham was put out there. It is just an attempt to push more talented guys into their own laps. A lot of teams do this. If you get a better player than you thought you would it is great.

If it was Tannenbaum, then I would believe there may be some truth, but Idzik is not letting anything leak.  So far, all the players we are linked to are media speculation based on our needs, our interest level at pro days and our list of visits.

Hes_right_you_know_guy.jpg

Haha, it's true. I'm out of practice.

You should play in the upcoming pirate game. 

The DPR is modding a game here.  You can ban the Ape to make room for yourself.

LOL

I think he should play. We've got some new players who would benefit seeing some of our veteran talent in action. 

You should play in the upcoming pirate game. 

LOL

I think he should play. We've got some new players who would benefit seeing some of our veteran talent in action. 

Nothing is going to help the new players.   Im not playing in this one either.  DPR just has not realized it yet.  LOL

agree there is much smoke,, idzik has no leaks anymore

It seems to be the exact same strategy we had during FA...talk to everyone, open all doors, let em keep guessing.

This is the world we're living in. The draft gossip business has become lucrative. Front offices have learned to take advantage of it and I'm sure there's a debatable sample of the reporter population that just makes sh*t up to get twitter hits. I think the best you can do is get a handle on the guys that are honest and good at what they do, then try to draw a consensus regarding grades and rumors being legit or not.

1 - I assume that "Idzik the diligent" called almost every team drafting ahead of the Jets to find out what the exact cost to move up is.  

2 - Of course the Jets are linked to almost every TE and WR.    Any team that relied on Greg Salas and Clyde Gates at WR and the ******* soldier at TE is in desperate need of help at those positions.   

Edited by LionelRichie

It doesn't really have to be any of these things. The visits are public information, and I can't imagine that teams aren't aware of each other's tendencies. People said everything is different now because Idzik last year too, but the trends held up and put Milliner on the short list. The interest in Beckham is real. Resigning Cumberland makes it unlikely we take Ebron in the first round. Can't rule out Cooks or Lee but Kyle Fuller fits more of the criteria.

It doesn't really have to be any of these things. The visits are public information, and I can't imagine that teams aren't aware of each other's tendencies. People said everything is different now because Idzik last year too, but the trends held up and put Milliner on the short list. The interest in Beckham is real. Resigning Cumberland makes it unlikely we take Ebron in the first round. Can't rule out Cooks or Lee but Kyle Fuller fits more of the criteria.

I personally don't like Ebron, or any tight end in the first but I don't think Cumberland resigning is effecting the draft board at all.

Edited by SayNoToDMC

Remember last year...the name we were linked to was Tavon Austin...then the Rams jumped up and grabbed him. We took Milliner instead. Was Tavon our #1 target? i don't know but sometimes, as we get closer to the draft, the apparent target for the team becomes visible. At #18, its hard to focus on one target because there are 17 variables ahead of you and the player you wanted could be gone. So with that said, I think it HAS to be a WR or CB and going by the BAP model, I think it will be one of the following pool (WR- Cooks/Beckham/ Lee or CB - Fuller, Dennard). If we choose someone outside that group of five then that means, probably, that each of them was selected in the prior 17 picks...most likely a top tier QB has fallen swiftly (Bridgewater possibly).

LL

The media doesn't need to be "pumped" to report false information.  It's what they do.

Cumberland is getting $1.9M this year, only $1M of which is guaranteed.  The amount is even less significant when one considers that the Jets are far from being up against the cap.

He is an insurance policy in case we don't sign anyone any better.  After this season there is no residual cap hit for cutting him (the $1M this year is RB so it all hits in '14; not that it really makes that much of a difference with today's somewhat blurred cap limits from one year to the next).  In other words, Cumberland's $ isn't that outrageous even if he's only used as a backup/#2 guy for 1 season.

The last time we took a TE high (trading into round 1 again to take Keller), we still had Chris Baker on the team.   Baker went into the season as the starter but Keller quickly established himself as a better receiving option: after the first quarter of the Oakland game, he barely saw the ball again for the rest of the year.  The Oakland game where magical Brett Favre was badly outplayed by Jamarcus Russell.  Oh, and if we didn't trade up for Keller (if he wasn't still going to be there anyway), Jordy Nelson was drafted in our original draft slot.  You may now vomit and swallow it all.

You would be surprised. The first pick is very rarely a position where we didn't lose the previous year's starter.

The last time the Jets took a TE in round 1, that is precisely what happened.  Actually it happened the last 3x in a row the Jets took a round 1 TE.

Keller (Baker returning)

Becht (Baxter returning)

Brady (Mitchell returning)

Cumberland is getting $1.9M this year, only $1M of which is guaranteed.  The amount is even less significant when one considers that the Jets are far from being up against the cap.

Again, it's not that Cumberland's presence is prohibitive in terms of reps or money. It's just that we usually don't use the first pick on a position where we're returning the prior year's starter. Gholston and Coples are the exceptions in the last ten years. We also almost always bring a college teammate of the first pick in for a visit also. Only recent exception to this one that I know of is Wilson and I don't think anybody else from Boise made a roster that year. The visit itself is still the most important thing so you can't rule out Ebron, but the best fits are Beckham and Fuller, followed by the other receivers and corners in the value range, followed by whatever TE and S prospects we have graded in the first.