The Official Draft Thread (1st Round)

Maxman

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronnie Lott! Victor Green!

Victor green fell a sleep in the 98 afc championship game. I don't think you want to use him as an example.

Burgess Owens and Erik McMillan were the two best safeties I ever remember the jets having. One played in the 70's and the other in the early 80's. That's a long time ago

I bet you cried about our secondary giving up too many plays like all of last year.

Problem is this team overvalues defense. defense no matter how good will give up some plays. Which means you need to score points. A franchise that habitually spends it tops pick on defense is going to suck on offense. And again, if the HC is such a defensive mastermind, how about letting the offense get a top pick? the jets are bucking an industry trend toward a good passing offense. It hasn't worked for them since 2010. There's no reason to think it will work in 2014.

WRONG. Flash forward to January, 2015, when slats posts, "how was Rex supposed to win with that offensive talent?"

Haha! Don't get mad at me just because your hero is letting you down. 

Problem is this team overvalues defense. defense no matter how good will give up some plays. Which means you need to score points. A franchise that habitually spends it tops pick on defense is going to suck on offense. And again, if the HC is such a defensive mastermind, how about letting the offense get a top pick? the jets are bucking an industry trend toward a good passing offense. It hasn't worked for them since 2010. There's no reason to think it will work in 2014.

pssst

they signed free agent WR's and a RB and even an OT and a QB

pass it on

Didn't we have that with Mangini?

Yes.

But I'd also say that some of the greatest coaches in the history of the league were also douche bags.

All I'm saying is that Pettine has a quality within his personality that I believe is critical to being a good head coach, which Rex does not have.

Whether he turns out to be a good head coach remains to be seen ... but it would not surprise me if he turned out to be a better "on the field" leader of a franchise than Ryan, as he seems to put more of an emphasis on discipline.

They spent money in free agency on the offensive side of the ball. Brought in a starting WR, RB, OT, maybe a QB. They set themselves up for a defensive pick in the first round when they didn't break the bank for Byrd. There are still a couple picks left in this draft, and the talent is deep at WR. 

Yes.

But I'd also say that some of the greatest coaches in the history of the league were also douche bags.

All I'm saying is that Pettine has a quality within his personality that I believe is critical to being a good head coach, which Rex does not have.

Whether he turns out to be a good head coach remains to be seen ... but it would not surprise me if he turned out to be a better "on the field" leader of a franchise than Ryan, as he seems to put more of an emphasis on discipline.

agree .. Petine also seems like.. You know ... An adult... Which helps

All I'm saying is that Pettine has a quality within his personality that I believe is critical to being a good head coach, which Rex does not have.

Whether he turns out to be a good head coach remains to be seen ... but it would not surprise me if he turned out to be a better "on the field" leader of a franchise than Ryan, as he seems to put more of an emphasis on discipline.

How do you know what his personality is? Bills weren't that disciplined either. 

Very happy with a smart, uninteresting pick. This is a position of need and I'm assuming the best safety in the draft. I guess Rex missed having Laron Landry. Very satisfied with the pick...not exciting but solid, very Idzik like.

They spent money in free agency on the offensive side of the ball. Brought in a starting WR, RB, OT, maybe a QB. They set themselves up for a defensive pick in the first round when they didn't break the bank for Byrd. There are still a couple picks left in this draft, and the talent is deep at WR. 

So overpaying for other's discards is better than drafting you talent yourself.Why is drafting defense somehow better than drifting offense? Even if I'm wrong about denfense being overvalued, shouldn't the offense get one top pick since Sanchez? May be if the jets spent a top pick on a WR they don't have to sign Decker.  Is anyone expecting the jets to average more than 17 points? Anyone want to guess their record vs. the Pats? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Jets are going WR next, I think they will go after Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State, he's 6'5" 240 pounds, Jets were showing interest in him some time ago according to nfl article below. CBS sports has him ranked 8th top WR, and 44 overall, right in the Jets 2nd range, might trade up for him if he doesn't fall. I'd like this pick, huge target for whoever our QB is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339167/article/new-york-jets-showing-interest-in-fsu-wr-kelvin-benjamin

@ESPNStatsInfo: Including Pryor, the Jets have gone defense with each of their last 6 1st round picks #NYJpick

In a general sense the last first time they used a first on an offensive player was the QB position. It was Sanchez, but the idea was QB. That's how it should be. Unless it was Watkins I don't think they're missing out too much on the WRs (Evans and OBJ are interesting THO), and didn't want Ebron eitther. 

The Bob Sanders comps are going to come out from the people that like Pryor, and there is some similarities in the playing style. I'm pretty sure I threw that name out like an idiot a few months ago...Anyway, I like the pick.

Jets are going WR next, I think they will go after Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State, he's 6'5" 240 pounds, Jets were showing interest in him some time ago according to nfl article below. CBS sports has him ranked 8th top WR, and 44 overall, right in the Jets 2nd range, might trade up for him if he doesn't fall. I'd like this pick, huge target for whoever our QB is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339167/article/new-york-jets-showing-interest-in-fsu-wr-kelvin-benjamin

Would love Benjamin but I doubt it. 

How do you know what his personality is? Bills weren't that disciplined either. 

Will you please stop quoting this stupid motherf*cker?  I have him on ignore for a reason.  Every time I see his asinine posts it harshes my mellow.

So overpaying for other's discards is better than drafting you talent yourself.Why is drafting defense somehow better than drifting offense? Even if I'm wrong about denfense being overvalued, shouldn't the offense get one top pick since Sanchez? May be if the jets spent a top pick on a WR they don't have to sign Decker.  Is anyone expecting the jets to average more than 17 points? Anyone want to guess their record vs. the Pats? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I can see the Jets moving up in rd 2 for Lee.  

@ESPNStatsInfo: Including Pryor, the Jets have gone defense with each of their last 6 1st round picks #NYJpick

boyitellya... I mean heck holding Brady to a what.. 64 QB rating today ... Heck of a job...heck I tellya and stuff we just gotta score more than 6 next time and stuff

Archived