The Official Draft Thread (1st Round)

Maxman

So overpaying for other's discards is better than drafting you talent yourself.Why is drafting defense somehow better than drifting offense? Even if I'm wrong about denfense being overvalued, shouldn't the offense get one top pick since Sanchez? May be if the jets spent a top pick on a WR they don't have to sign Decker.  Is anyone expecting the jets to average more than 17 points? Anyone want to guess their record vs. the Pats? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

What player did they pass on? Tiny Brandin Cooks, or tiny Johnny Manzeil? They got a solid prospect that should immediately upgrade a terrible secondary and they still have another 11 picks to play with. The draft isn't quite over yet. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will you please stop quoting this stupid motherf*cker?  I have him on ignore for a reason.  Every time I see his asinine posts it harshes my mellow.

Didn't know he was a troll, but I was generally curious how he came to those conclusions. You just skip over it, just saying. 

pssst

they signed free agent WR's and a RB and even an OT and a QB

pass it on

One of the WRs was a prime aged top 32 guy at the position too, and they didn't pay a premium on him. Hell the RB is 28 and one of the 6 guys in history to run for 2000 yards in a season (none of them lucked into it).

They didn't pick an offensive player because the offensive players available weren't up to par. Lee has his injury questions, Cooks has his size questions...

So Bridgwater is still on the board? Interesting. 

In a general sense the last first time they used a first on an offensive player was the QB position. It was Sanchez, but the idea was QB. That's how it should be. Unless it was Watkins I don't think they're missing out too much on the WRs (Evans and OBJ are interesting THO), and didn't want Ebron eitther. 

The Bob Sanders comps are going to come out from the people that like Pryor, and there is some similarities in the playing style. I'm pretty sure I threw that name out like an idiot a few months ago...Anyway, I like the pick.

Bob Sanders'  career came to an early end because he couldn't stay on the field.

One of the WRs was a prime aged top 32 guy at the position too, and they didn't pay a premium on him. Hell the RB is 28 and one of the 6 guys in history to run for 2000 yards in a season (none of them lucked into it).

They didn't pick an offensive player because the offensive players available weren't up to par. Lee has his injury questions, Cooks has his size questions...

So Bridgwater is still on the board? Interesting. 

I think the jets are looking more like murray in the 4th on the QB menu

With the 18 overall pick, in the 2014 NFL draft, the New York Jets selected Calvin Pryor, a safety out of Louisville.

Here is a scouting report of Pryor via the Star-Ledger:

Strengths

: Pryor is a huge hitter who has good instincts and can fly all over the field, which would make him an asset as a run-stopper in addition to helping with defending passes. And the Seahawks’ performance in the Super Bowl certainly showed the benefit of aggressive, big-hitting safety play.

Weaknesses

: Has a tendency to play recklessly and sometims overpursue as he seeks to deliver a knockout blow. Also didn’t play a ton of man-to-man coverage in college.

Pryor recorded 75 tackles, had three interceptions, and two forced fumbles. The Jets had a need in the secondary since Antonio Cromartie is in Arizona and Dawan Landry is not considered a long term solution at safety for the Jets.

Tell us what you think about

Calvin Pryor

Problem is this team overvalues defense. defense no matter how good will give up some plays. Which means you need to score points. A franchise that habitually spends it tops pick on defense is going to suck on offense. And again, if the HC is such a defensive mastermind, how about letting the offense get a top pick? the jets are bucking an industry trend toward a good passing offense. It hasn't worked for them since 2010. There's no reason to think it will work in 2014.

We have 11 more picks.

All of the free agents splashes we made were on offense.

There are still a bunch of TE's available heading into R2.

There are still a bunch of WR's available heading into R2.

We passed on Manziel. There are still lots of QBs who could easily pan out better. 

We have 11 more picks.

Our general manager drafts BPA available. He picked talent, not need. 

When you draft for need you do what Miami and the Eagles have done in this round, you reach.

Problem is this team overvalues defense. defense no matter how good will give up some plays. Which means you need to score points. A franchise that habitually spends it tops pick on defense is going to suck on offense. And again, if the HC is such a defensive mastermind, how about letting the offense get a top pick? the jets are bucking an industry trend toward a good passing offense. It hasn't worked for them since 2010. There's no reason to think it will work in 2014.

I wish our string of defensive players was longer than 6 in a row. Last time we went offense in round 1 was burning both our 1st and 2nd round picks - each reasonably-priced - for the privilege of Sanchez and the $50M contract that came along with him.

But as I've freely admitted, I know little about these specific players. We used a near-first round pick on Stephen Hill 2 years ago.

Only saying that every player drafted on offense is not necessarily an asset.

Bob Sanders'  career came to an early end because he couldn't stay on the field.

Because he was 117 lbs....the comparisons are that Pryor is a similar player, with more size.

So overpaying for other's discards is better than drafting you talent yourself.Why is drafting defense somehow better than drifting offense? Even if I'm wrong about denfense being overvalued, shouldn't the offense get one top pick since Sanchez? May be if the jets spent a top pick on a WR they don't have to sign Decker. Is anyone expecting the jets to average more than 17 points? Anyone want to guess their record vs. the Pats? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Just look at how Vegas thinks the loss of Eric Decker has ruined the Broncos chances of winning a title next year.

We have 11 more picks.

All of the free agents splashes we made were on offense.

There are still a bunch of TE's available heading into R2.

There are still a bunch of WR's available heading into R2.

We passed on Manziel. There are still lots of QBs who could easily pan out better. 

We have 11 more picks.

Our general manager drafts BPA available. He picked talent, not need. 

When you draft for need you do what Miami and the Eagles have done in this round, you reach.

Crap, I agree with you.

copycat league.

Kam Chancellor was the best player on the field in the Super Bowl. Cooks is Jeremy Kerley...once Beckham went to the friggin Giants all bets were off. Other teams did our dirty work not selecting Dennard who fell for a reason. 

I wish our string of defensive players was longer than 6 in a row. Last time we went offense in round 1 was burning both our 1st and 2nd round picks - each reasonably-priced - for the privilege of Sanchez and the $50M contract that came along with him.

But as I've freely admitted, I know little about these specific players. We used a near-first round pick on Stephen Hill 2 years ago.

Only saying that every player drafted on offense is not necessarily an asset.

Can't aegue with the Sanchez thing. But that doesn't justify the D monopolizing the top pick.

Arizona just took Deone Buchanon over Bridgewater and Carr.

We took Pryor over Manziel, Bridgewater and Carr.

Obviously the fans over-rate the QBs prospects, as usual. 

If history has taught us nothing else, it's this: if the Cardinals and Jets pass on a guy, he indisputably sucks.

Just checked the roster of the superbowl champs and I see the following WRs.  I think it proves you can win with a great D and mediocre O.

89 Baldwin, Doug WR 5-10 189 25 4 Stanford 88 Bates, Phil WR 6-1 220 24 3 Ohio 14 Clark, Arceto WR 5-10 180 24 2 Mississippi State 11 Harvin, Percy WR 5-11 184 25 6 Florida 15 Kearse, Jermaine WR 6-1 209 24 3 Washington 83 Lockette, Ricardo WR 6-2 211 27 4 Fort Valley State 13 Matthews, Chris WR 6-5 218 24 1 Kentucky 16 Price, Taylor WR 6-1 195 26 5 Ohio U. 18 Rice, Sidney WR 6-4 202 27 8 South Carolina 19 Walters, Bryan WR 6-0 190 26 5 Cornell

Archived