Thoughts on Calvin Pryor

Freemanm

I for one am happy.There are still a lot of talented receivers left, Pryor was the BPA at 18 and the Jets needed a safety as much as they needed a CB or WR, maybe even more. I think Pryor may be the next Earl Thomas or Ed Reed. Anyway, here's a guy that can allow Rex to do a corner or S blitz and not have to worry about the other teams receivers getting wide open, and here's a guy that other teams will not want to throw to. Idzik still needs a CB, but right now, he's  gotta get a WR

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, seriously, it's easier to pick up a good WR during training than it is to find a good S. It was the right pick

Really? When has that ever worked? At this point the Jets might as well punt on 2nd down.

Really? When has that ever worked? At this point the Jets might as well punt on 2nd down.

I know. Jets failed to upgrade the WR spot, RB spot and the QB spot this off season. Oh wait, they picked the best FAs at all those spots. Never mind.

As some genius once said, "eat a dick"

over the years the value of the safety position has changed. It used to be a luxury pick like TE. now there were 4 in the round (so far) 

the Cardinals at 20 was interesting they traded down and took Deone Buchanon, another SS type which seems like a pouty panic move if the player you really wanted was taken a pick or two before... 

When it's all said and done we can talk about the value of a safety vs the value of a WR but when we look back on it, it could be really good. The Jets took the first safety out of four first rounders. He's also a perfect fit for what Rex's defense wants out of a safety. 

by the way the Jets safeties are terrible as a group. Antonio Allen had his moments but the less said about the rest of em, the better. It was a position of dire need. Dire.

Others have talked about the Jets lack of turnovers that's a valid point. Prior to tonight, they didn't have any guys who separate the carrier from the ball. 

Certainly, there were much worse picks made tonight. and they have 11 more ...

I know he's a favorite of a lot of smart people and that should be enough to buoy my dread spirits, and I know that we're in that roster-building stage where you just add as many decent players as you can regardless of position, but I hate the position picked and I don't think Pryor is on that Thomas/Berry level as a talent, personally. This defense worked at an elite capacity with garbage at safety. Does adding a better-than-Leonhard safety make it any better?

I know he's a favorite of a lot of smart people and that should be enough to buoy my dread spirits, and I know that we're in that roster-building stage where you just add as many decent players as you can regardless of position, but I hate the position picked and I don't think Pryor is on that Thomas/Berry level as a talent, personally. This defense worked at an elite capacity with garbage at safety. Does adding a better-than-Leonhard safety make it any better?

Creating turnovers >>> run defense.

This defense worked at an elite capacity with garbage at safety. Does adding a better-than-Leonhard safety make it any better?

Jets D couldn't get off the field 3rd and long. The defense wasn't really elite last year. They could stop the run but got shredded. If this guy Pryor can 1) be the QB and organize (what Leonard used to do btw) 2) get turnovers that helps out a lot. if he 3) brings the hammer that's a bonus. 

Archived