Thoughts on Calvin Pryor

Freemanm

Peter Prisco gave the Jets a B minus. I'm sad. and he gave the Patriots who picked a DT with two non contact ACL injuries who takes plays off and will be great IF his knees hold up a 1st round grade A. I'm really sad.

Prisco is a total bastard who hates the Jets. Flat out loathes them. He gave the Eagles a B for taking a guy ranked in the 60's. Extremely biased.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Prisco gave the Jets a B minus. I'm sad. and he gave the Patriots who picked a DT with two non contact ACL injuries who takes plays off and will be great IF his knees hold up a 1st round grade A. I'm really sad.

Yeah just plug in any DT for the Pats and it was a great pick for need-not

The only Jets fans besides T0MShane that are upset are the ones that wanted Manziel (or bridgewater). Which I get, if I thought Manziel was definitely going to be a player and we passed on him because we have Geno and Vick, I'd be pissed too.   As for T0mShame, lets face it, the guy was going to find something to complain about no matter what. Him bitching is as reliable as the Jets sucking

Shane's a moron.  He's obssesed with everything Seattle related from a Football perspective and the Jets are literally buidling the exact same way.  They just drafted their hopefull Earl Thomas or Kam Chancellor and he's crying like the miserable prick he is, they could have selected the next Ronnie Lott and he act the same damn way.

Then they would have drafted him. 

That has nothing to do with the hole in your logic or the fact that you contradict yourself in blasting those who don't believe in strict BPA, yet you do the same thing by pointing out that we already have Jeremy Kerley playing the (pseudo, because calling Cooks a slot receiver is not true) same position as Cooks and therefore it would be wrong to draft him.

Well, my point is that BPA means you take the top guy on your draft board, no?

But now that you mention it, to call Cooks a slot receiver is wrong. He played almost exclusively on the outside. If you want to hypothetically pass on a guy in your mind because of a projection as to where he "should" be playing, that's fine. We really have nothing to discuss then.

Dude give it up.  Cooks wasn't BPA according to the board or we would have picked him.  If it was even close I'm sure Idzik would have gone with Cooks since WR is the more pressing need.  Cooks is 5 foot nothing and needs an accurate QB to be successful.  He'll do great with the Saints I'm sure but personally I like probably 6 more WR's who are still on the board better than Cooks.

We didn't panic - we didn't trade 3 picks to overdraft Beckham in the top 10.  There are still 10 WR's and at least 2 TE's on the board who can come in and start.  I know what it's like to not be thrilled with the direction the draft is going, but you shouldn't be upset man.  Pryor is going to be a good player and will probably be our starter for years.  We still have 11 picks.  We could come out of the next 2 rounds with Jordan Matthews and Sef Jenkins.

Shane's a moron. He's obssesed with everything Seattle related from a Football perspective and the Jets are literally buidling the exact same way. They just drafted their hopefull Earl Campbell [/b ]or Kam Chancellor and he's crying like the miserable prick he is, they could have selected the next Ronnie Lott and he act the same damn way.

Sometimes, they do the work for you.

Sometimes, they do the work for you.

Such a terrible mistake..  How could I?

Doesnt change the fact that you'd suck anyone in the Seahawks organization's dick and the Jets are building the exact same way and you're crying like a bitch.

I know he's a favorite of a lot of smart people and that should be enough to buoy my dread spirits, and I know that we're in that roster-building stage where you just add as many decent players as you can regardless of position, but I hate the position picked and I don't think Pryor is on that Thomas/Berry level as a talent, personally. This defense worked at an elite capacity with garbage at safety. Does adding a better-than-Leonhard safety make it any better?

I agree that Pryor does not seem to be in that elite class of safety prospect you want to see in the first round. Still, I can live with the pick. I would have taken Kelvin Benjamin (who I have grouped with the Y receivers like Amaro instead of the wideouts), but I know I'm way in the minority on that. I was never crazy about Cooks, Lee, or the cornerback class in general, and I had the top four safeties going before 49, so it makes enough sense.

Dude give it up.  Cooks wasn't BPA according to the board or we would have picked him.  If it was even close I'm sure Idzik would have gone with Cooks since WR is the more pressing need.  Cooks is 5 foot nothing and needs an accurate QB to be successful.  He'll do great with the Saints I'm sure but personally I like probably 6 more WR's who are still on the board better than Cooks.

We didn't panic - we didn't trade 3 picks to overdraft Beckham in the top 10.  There are still 10 WR's and at least 2 TE's on the board who can come in and start.  I know what it's like to not be thrilled with the direction the draft is going, but you shouldn't be upset man.  Pryor is going to be a good player and will probably be our starter for years.  We still have 11 picks.  We could come out of the next 2 rounds with Jordan Matthews and Sef Jenkins.

C'mon, the Saints always hit on round 1 WRs, and are amazing at drafting WRs in general.  The last time they hit on one was about as lucky as can be (Colston with a compensatory 7th round pick; they were so keen on him as a prospect they felt he was far less worthy of the 171st pick than the great Mike Haas, who never caught an NFL pass).  

And incidentally, drafting Cooks is the first time since 2007 that the Saints took an offensive player with their first pick.  The last one they took was Robert Meachem, and what a great pick he was!  Maybe if he'd been lucky enough to play with some halfway-decent QBs over the years he might have actually been something.  Meachem would have been there for our pick, but we stupidly traded up for a freaking DB (yawn).

That has nothing to do with the hole in your logic or the fact that you contradict yourself in blasting those who don't believe in strict BPA, yet you do the same thing by pointing out that we already have Jeremy Kerley playing the (pseudo, because calling Cooks a slot receiver is not true) same position as Cooks and therefore it would be wrong to draft him.

Me bringing up Kerley has nothing do to with the Jets draft board.  If Cooks was the best player, they would have drafted him regardless of my views on Jeremy Kerley.  I just don't have that much pull with the organization anymore.

From a fan perspective, I believe we don't need Cooks because he is a slot WR and we have one who's very good in my opinion.  Whether that factored into our decision to "pass on cooks" I don't know.  Personally, I just think we liked Pryor that much.  If we go WR I'd rather draft a guy with some size who's more suited for the outside.  But that's just fan talk.  If they picked him and truely thought he was the best guy, then I'd support it - Kerley or not.  But they didn't.  Because he wasn't the best player.  John Itzik isn't going to break his balls to placate crying fans.  Anyone crying about the offense needs to realize that we brought in the best QB, WR, RB in free agency.  We need 2 players on offense right now- #2 WR and #2 TE.  Guard is a possibility depending on their views on last years guys, RB is a possibility with two backs on 2 year deals and powel in his last year. 

Guys, let's see how it pans out. I, for one, love the Pryor pick by the Jets. This guy can come in and be the QB of the Defense. If we can cut down on turnovers by the offense (lookng at you Geno) and raise he number of turnovers produced by our defense, then we will be better this year. We were -11 in turnover ratio last year and went 8-8....if we can be in the positive area for turnovers we can be a playoff team. I thnk Pryor was a great pick.

LL

Yep. When some say "best player available" what they really mean is "best WR/TE/RB/QB available," or so it would seem.

Our secondary was garbage last year. A lot of it was due to Cromartie not being the same player he was a year earlier (whatever the reason), and Milliner being so lousy for most of the year (reasons - or rationalizations - have been repeated plenty). But secondary also includes the safeties, which everyone knows but it's easy to forget when our team has had corners like Revis and Cromartie in recent years. The lesser-Landry kind of sucks. Allen was benched for Ed Reed, whose physical prime is/was long past. Though Reed can still catch if he's near the pass, none of the 3 could cover at all, or make a play on a ball in the air unless they just happened to be where the ball went (law of averages says this will happen dozens of times even though they're not good in coverage).

We needed a really good safety so it fills a hole just as much as any pure-BPA pick could. I suppose an experienced zone-corner like Patterson could convert and have excellent coverage skills (particularly for a safety), but he already gets banged up plenty just as a corner and he might not last 1 week in the role. Otherwise, our safeties of late have had the skill sets of smaller linebackers than hitting cornerbacks. The most notable exception was Rhodes, who seemed to be in the right place at the right time a lot and legitimately had good hands. So it will be nice to have a true safety who's more than just a thumper-only. Also can really help to mask a real or relative deficiency at corner.

I like the pick, but admittedly I like the idea of the pick (top safety prospect who could be a stud or star player at the position). We'll see what he turns out like. I'm just happy that he was a legitimate BPA pick (not a reach) and that the pick also fills a great need.

Agree... And our secondary was garbage for a lot longer than last year

2 first round safeties (obviously Ed Reed not what he once was); 2 first round CBs; 2 first rounders on the d-line; 2 first round and 1 second round LB as starters... why do we need a "defensive genius" to have a good defense with that talent?

Me bringing up Kerley has nothing do to with the Jets draft board.  If Cooks was the best player, they would have drafted him regardless of my views on Jeremy Kerley.  I just don't have that much pull with the organization anymore.

From a fan perspective, I believe we don't need Cooks because he is a slot WR and we have one who's very good in my opinion.  Whether that factored into our decision to "pass on cooks" I don't know.  Personally, I just think we liked Pryor that much.  If we go WR I'd rather draft a guy with some size who's more suited for the outside.  But that's just fan talk.  If they picked him and truely thought he was the best guy, then I'd support it - Kerley or not.  But they didn't.  Because he wasn't the best player.  John Itzik isn't going to break his balls to placate crying fans.  Anyone crying about the offense needs to realize that we brought in the best QB, WR, RB in free agency.  We need 2 players on offense right now- #2 WR and #2 TE.  Guard is a possibility depending on their views on last years guys, RB is a possibility with two backs on 2 year deals and powel in his last year. 

We're having two different discussions right now.

I read something that Idzik went to a Louisville-Central Florida game during the season to scout him. He came away very impressed with Pryor and showed Rex a DVD of his game. Rex salivated. This was in the middle of last season. They knew they wanted him, and they knew they wanted him in November.

A steal? No. He has potential, I'll agree with that, but this kid needs development and his body control for a guy 6'5 is nothing like Mike Evans....and lets not even talk about Calvin Johnson. He's a guy that in the redzone is a good guy to have, but right now he's very limited and wasn't worth a 1st...especially for a team in need of a WR who can make a difference right now. The WR's that Carolina left on the table to take Benjamin is going to define the pick for sure. His hands aren't something that jumps out at you either. 

if he developes, he could be a steal. mike evan was a top 5 pick. Benjamin #27. obviously, there was a reason for that. I never made a megatron comparison. you don't like him, I do. we will see how he turns out I guess

if he developes, he could be a steal. mike evan was a top 5 pick. Benjamin #27. obviously, there was a reason for that. I never made a megatron comparison. you don't like him, I do. we will see how he turns out I guess

Would rather the 6'5 guy who can run than the volume slot receiver we can get later...

We're having two different discussions right now.

OK I just went back and saw where you jumped in.  I see what you are saying with the "hole in my logic" but you're missing what I'm pointing out.  I'm saying Pryor was the best player available- not Cooks.  Period.  If Cooks was the best player available we would have drafted him regardless of Kerley.  But for fans crying that we did't get Cooks- we don't need the guy anyway- we have a good Slot guy in Kerley.  If we have a need at WR, it's not at the slot.  We got the best player available- we didn't go crazy and trade half our picks to fill a more pressing need, and we have 11 more picks. 

Yeah, would have even better if he didn't undermine his whole point by talking about NOT having a need at a certain position.

Not undermining the point at all.  Pointing out to the guys crying about not drafting for need that Brandon Cooks playing slot WR would not really fill a need either.  If anything, Saftey is a bigger need than Slot WR.  Regardless- we got the best player.  The Jets had Pryor higher on the board than Cooks and that's the bottom line. 

Archived