Calvin Pryor Is An Enforcer

JetNation

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt the difference between drafting Cooks or Lee to help the offense and drafting Pryor (who plays a position we've sort of done without) helping the defense  can be summed up in such exact terms as "knowing how to build a team" and "not knowing how to build a team".

I understand the Jets made this pick because they still have a lot of picks in the back half of this draft, and with the talent running deep in this draft, it allows them to fill a need.

That said, I just do not value the "enforcer" safety in this league any more. The rules dictate it as such, and they generally tend to receive as much punishment as they give out.

He better be rangey and able to cover more than just the inside box.

Our backfield last year was atrocious. Free safety is the best piece you can acquire to strengthen up a weak backfield. If not true then the "Cover" scheme would not exist. I encourage you guys to go watch "A Football Life: Bill Belichick Part 1" there is an entire scene with Beli and Tom Brady trying to outscheme Ed Reed 

because drafting Cooks would not have helped the young QB and helped open up the running game?   

I'm not going to disagree with whether he would've been a great piece to have, but in order of priority, it was more important to clean up a terrible secondary, with young guys who are trying to get their feet under them, than to add to a position that was already strengthened in the offseason. On top of that, Pryor was a better player than Cooks if you are sizing them up together. Cooks and Lee are STILL available. Dix hwoever is gone

I'm not going to disagree with whether he would've been a great piece to have, but in order of priority, it was more important to clean up a terrible secondary, with young guys who are trying to get their feet under them, than to add to a position that was already strengthened in the offseason. On top of that, Pryor was a better player than Cooks if you are sizing them up together. Cooks and Lee are STILL available. Dix hwoever is gone

Assuming Pryor can cover in the NFL I like the pick.    I would also have liked a home run threat like Cooks or Beckham if he was still available.   

Going into the draft the team was a S, WR, and CB away from being competitive.    So far one of the biggest needs was met so I'm happy.  

Our backfield last year was atrocious. Free safety is the best piece you can acquire to strengthen up a weak backfield. If not true then the "Cover" scheme would not exist. I encourage you guys to go watch "A Football Life: Bill Belichick Part 1" there is an entire scene with Beli and Tom Brady trying to outscheme Ed Reed 

Ed Reed was a great cover safety. Pryor has a lot to work on in that regard. I doubt the Patriots are going to be pulling all-nighters to figure out how to outscheme Ed Reed.

And P.S.:

People calling for a receiver there just simply don't understand the actual concept of building a team.

I don't think that's true but I'm not going to knock Idzik if that was his clear BPA. It netted us Richardson last year. I can understand wanting a receiver though if it was close, we dedicate countless hours to this team and have been rewarded with an unwatchable offense for years.

People calling for a receiver there just simply don't understand the actual concept of building a team.

I didn't say that. There are good receiver prospects that we could have taken there.  I don't view it as the great tragedy that some do when they see "aw, crap a safety Jets suck Izdick suckszz" etc.  But taking a WR wouldn't have been stupid either.

Taking the wrong WR would be, since we'd still have the WR hole and safety as well. Since there are so many good WR prospects remaining, I think this is good value.  But it's all theoretical or on paper.  Because if Pryor is merely so-so as a safety, it was lousy value in round 1.

I understand the Jets made this pick because they still have a lot of picks in the back half of this draft, and with the talent running deep in this draft, it allows them to fill a need.

That said, I just do not value the "enforcer" safety in this league any more. The rules dictate it as such, and they generally tend to receive as much punishment as they give out.

He better be rangey and able to cover more than just the inside box.

I think that's the idea.  If all they wanted was a thumper to send guys to the MRI room, round 1 is a bit high.  I think they took him that high because he can cover as well.  We haven't had a safety who could cover since Rhodes, and he wasn't so amazing in coverage himself (though he was better in coverage than those who followed him).

I think that's the idea.  If all they wanted was a thumper to send guys to the MRI room, round 1 is a bit high.  I think they took him that high because he can cover as well.  We haven't had a safety who could cover since Rhodes, and he wasn't so amazing in coverage himself (though he was better in coverage than those who followed him).

And one thing we know about Rhodes- he was not a thumper

I didn't say that. There are good receiver prospects that we could have taken there.  I don't view it as the great tragedy that some do when they see "aw, crap a safety Jets suck Izdick suckszz" etc.  But taking a WR wouldn't have been stupid either.

Taking the wrong WR would be, since we'd still have the WR hole and safety as well. Since there are so many good WR prospects remaining, I think this is good value.  But it's all theoretical or on paper.  Because if Pryor is merely so-so as a safety, it was lousy value in round 1.

I was typing from the sh*tter, I agree it was about picking very good talent at that point. Side by side, Pryor was better, and in the scheme of building the club, it just also happened to be the right pick.

I guess my point was that one of them is perceived as too frail to take a sack while the other is expected to play like a heat seeking missile for 50 plays a game. For years.

I get your point, but there's a big difference in the dynamic between hitting and getting hit. Especially when you're talking about hitting comparably sized players, and getting hit by players with a hundred pounds on you.

I doubt the difference between drafting Cooks or Lee to help the offense and drafting Pryor (who plays a position we've sort of done without) helping the defense can be summed up in such exact terms as "knowing how to build a team" and "not knowing how to build a team".

I think the Jets took their BAP there. Simple as that. Maybe if Beckham dropped, he would've been the BAP, but there are clear cut red flags on the next couple WRs who came off the board after the Jets pick. And even if it was close, taking the safety makes sense for a number of reasons. One, you've already shored up the offense in free agency, but the defensive secondary was still in need of serious help. Two, the depth at WR is significantly greater than the depth in the secondary. We saw projected 2nd round safeties go in round one, while a first round WR dropped to round two. There will be very good WR prospects available the next two rounds. Three, the bust potential at WR is probably only eclipsed by the bust potential at QB. Not only is Pryor a great prospect, but he's also a safe pick. He's practically a sure thing compared to Cooks or Benjamin.

Personally, I thought it was high to take a safety, but I completely get the logic. This is one of the problems with having a day between the first and second rounds, it gives us way too much time to bitch. Lol. It's my expectation that everyone will start feeling better about the direction of the draft after tonight.

I get your point, but there's a big difference in the dynamic between hitting and getting hit. Especially when you're talking about hitting comparably sized players, and getting hit by players with a hundred pounds on you.

I think the Jets took their BAP there. Simple as that. Maybe if Beckham dropped, he would've been the BAP, but there are clear cut red flags on the next couple WRs who came off the board after the Jets pick. And even if it was close, taking the safety makes sense for a number of reasons. One, you've already shored up the offense in free agency, but the defensive secondary was still in need of serious help. Two, the depth at WR is significantly greater than the depth at WR. We saw projected 2nd round safeties go in round one, while a first round WR dropped to round two. There will be very good WR prospects available the next two rounds. Three, the bust potential at WR is probably only eclipsed by the bust potential at QB. Not only is Pryor a great prospect, but he's also a safe pick. He's practically a sure thing compared to Cooks or Benjamin.

Personally, I thought it was high to take a safety, but I completely get the logic. This is one of the problems with having a day between the first and second rounds, it gives us way too much time to bitch. Lol. It's my expectation that everyone will start feeling better about the direction of the draft after tonight.

Yes, but what about the depth at WR, and how does that compare to the depth at WR or at WR?

I would be much more comfortable in the knowledge that the Jets got a safety who can cover, rather than an "enforcer"

Yes, but what about the depth at WR, and how does that compare to the depth at WR or at WR?

*edited

Also, screw you, Sperm. Lol. I worked a 16 hour shift last night and I'm attempting to be coherent here over my 'morning' coffee.

I would be much more comfortable in the knowledge that the Jets got a safety who can cover, rather than an "enforcer"

I'm reading that he can cover. I don't get the feeling that this is the John Conner of safeties.

Also, don't dismiss the enforcer role. Giving every receiver on the field a case of alligator arms is probably more useful than being able to cover one guy at a time. Even those who hate Rex with all their heart and soul have to agree that he'll be able to scheme this kid to success.

No argument here.  It's my understanding that he is not simply a thumper.  They could have just kept the better Landry if that's all they wanted.

I think the Jets took their BAP there. Simple as that. Maybe if Beckham dropped, he would've been the BAP, but there are clear cut red flags on the next couple WRs who came off the board after the Jets pick. And even if it was close, taking the safety makes sense for a number of reasons. One, you've already shored up the offense in free agency, but the defensive secondary was still in need of serious help. Two, the depth at WR is significantly greater than the depth in the secondary. We saw projected 2nd round safeties go in round one, while a first round WR dropped to round two. There will be very good WR prospects available the next two rounds. Three, the bust potential at WR is probably only eclipsed by the bust potential at QB. Not only is Pryor a great prospect, but he's also a safe pick. He's practically a sure thing compared to Cooks or Benjamin.

I have no problem with the decision or the logic in general. I have a problem with the arrogance of someone that would think that if you decide one way or the other you obviously have no idea what building a team is about.

About the difference between hitting and getting hit, it's entirely possible that Calvin Pryor will wear out quicker than Manziel will, the way he plays. Bob Sanders was done in a flash. I don't know enough about this, but has Manziel taken a ton of big hits? He seems to be pretty elusive and I don't remember him being called reckless in the sense that he doesn't know when to protect himself.

• dm_140508_Jets_Draft_Louisville_Safety_C Video Analysiswatch.png

Bill Polian looks at the Jets first round draft pick Calvin Pryor.

• What he brings: in.gif Pryor is a strong safety type who brings a physical presence down the middle of the field. He has some tightness in coverage, particularly holding up in man coverage, but shows adequate instincts and ball skills. He is at his best defending the run, where he takes quality angles in pursuit and flashes the ability to deliver the knockout blow. 

How he fits: in.gif We know Rex Ryan is a defensive-oriented coach who loves to draft defensive backs, and this is a real need for a defense that is excellent up front but struggles in the back end. The Jets want to create more turnovers and big plays. They want to play a lot of tight man schemes, but that does not always suit their current personnel and can limit their willingness to blitz. Pryor is very physical and should eliminate some of the big plays they gave up in the passing game a year ago. They will play some 4-2-5 looks as their base package, and Pryor can sit in the middle of the field and add toughness to this unit.

HHahahahagagahGgahHhHhHAhhHhaAAA

:D

You really want to argue the difference in perceived value between a premier cornerback prospect and a premier wide receiver?

You don't know if any of these players are premier anything.

If you've ever met or stood next to either you'd realize how incredibly stupid this statement is.

Really? He reminds you of this guy?

laron-landry-ripped-muscles.jpg

I've watched him play in person.. but thanks. and yes, he reminds me of that guy... I didn't say he looks like him, or has the same body type. What I mean't is his style of play, and the massive hits he puts on receivers... Or them both being "enforcers."

All we need now is to draft a punter in the second round and a special teams blocker in the third and we'll be all set!

Idzik and Woody deserve each other.

BY PHIL SULLIVAN ON MAY 9, 2014 - http://www.jetnation.com/2014/05/09/calvin-pryor-is-an-enforcer/

You hear the phrase often, “Play like a Jet”.  At different points in time, that has meant different things.  NY Jets General Manager John Idzik said this about Calvin Pryor, “He’s a physical presence on the field. He has range. (He) makes plays. (He) creates turnovers. He just plays like a Jet. ”

Turnovers are something the Jets defense lacked last season.  The Jets defense ranked 22nd last year in yards allowed.  They ranked last in the AFC with only 2 fumble recoveries. Add in only 13 interceptions by the defense and you have a team that simply isn’t creating enough turnovers.  The Jets turnover ratio was -14 last season when you factor in the offense. When the season ended, everyone knew that changing these ratios was going to be a focus of the off-season.

There was a lot of talk about adding another cornerback to start along side Dee Milliner after the Jets decided to let Antonio Cromartie walk away.  They could still address cornerback early in this draft, but what Rex Ryan and John Idzik decided was more important was adding a physical presence in the secondary.

The Jets defense will get to the quarterback, they have a young and extremely talented defensive line.  They also have Antwan Barnes returning from his knee injury and Calvin Pace will be back after a 10-sack season.

Rex Ryan believes that Pryor’s physical nature is a game changer.  Rex said, “there is a huge thing with his hitting ability; big hits still win games. They’ll flip the momentum of a game faster than anything in my opinion, and I’ve always said that and this young man will provide that for us.”

The criticism on Pryor often revolves around his lack of man-to-man experience.  Rex confirmed that Pryor doesn’t have as much man-to-man experience as they would like him to have but he praised his coverage skills overall.

This young man’s got plenty of cover skills. He’s got range, he’s got hands for the interception, so you can play him and you see him. He can play deep, he can play up, all those types of things. When we all looked at him, evaluated him, we knew he had plenty of cover skills.

Pryor seems excited to play for Rex Ryan.  “It will be great because Coach Ryan, he’s going to be able to coach me up and teach me some things that I wasn’t able to learn in college. He’ll look for me to make an impact right away. He’s going to do everything that’s possible.”

Rex couldn’t hide his feelings when he described Pryor’s physical nature.  “We pride ourselves in being a physical football team and he fits that profile. This young man is an enforcer. You see how some of those kind of plays and hits and everything else, how it can impact the game.”

I'm reading that he can cover. I don't get the feeling that this is the John Conner of safeties.

Also, don't dismiss the enforcer role. Giving every receiver on the field a case of alligator arms is probably more useful than being able to cover one guy at a time. Even those who hate Rex with all their heart and soul have to agree that he'll be able to scheme this kid to success.

New rules dictate that you can't enforce. Receivers come across the middle with more lee-way than they have at any point.

Hopefully we slow down some Tight ends. 

If you have to "scheme" a first round pick to succeed, you shouldn't be spending a first round pick on that player

I have the same concerns with Scott. The player being described in the draft reports has effectively been legislated out of this sh*tty league. His ability to cover will define him in this league, and if he's not great at it, then he probably wont be worth the pick. I still think he'll certainly be an effective player, but I can see penalties being a major problem,

New rules dictate that you can't enforce. Receivers come across the middle with more lee-way than they have at any point.

Hopefully we slow down some Tight ends. 

If you have to "scheme" a first round pick to succeed, you shouldn't be spending a first round pick on that player

Seattle enforced all year. Led the league in PI's...still worked though.

The only person that can change the turnover ratio to any real season-changing degree is wearing a single digit number. The same holds true for making any turnovers we do happen to force count for something.

They are talking more about the defense creating turnovers, which it basically didn't last year. Two of their turnovers were against Miami in the last few minutes of game 16 last year, and one was lucky in the first game against Buffalo. But seriously, I killed many a brain cell during my college frat years and in alcoholic stupors over the Jets, and I can actually remember almost all of the turnovers that the Jets' D produced  last year - that's kind of sad

I work with a college ref from a major conference... just got done speaking with him, he had several Louisville games over the last few years. He said Pryor is "real deal" and  "a sunday player all the way". "You couldn't miss him"  Asked him about Marcus Smith (Eagles pick) also from Louisville, he didn't really register in his experience at the time. 

any Jets fan who doesn't like this pick needs to go back and watch all the 3rd and 8+ that they gave up last year. Pryor is more than a hard hitter he can also cover and ball hawk. It was a value pick at a position of dire need. There's no way WR (when they just signed Decker) is a worse need than S. 

All you have to do is watch a Louisville game, the guy sticks out, he's all over the field making plays at every level.  I'm not a huge fan of safety in the first, probably would have gone with Dennard but I like Pryor.  He's the definition of a lights out hitter and he can make plays on the ball.  He was my favorite safety in the draft and fills a need.  I thought he'd go to 1 of the 4 teams who selected before the Jets.  He should excel in Rex's system.  Also, I have a ton of trust in Charlie Strong when it comes to recruiting and developing defense for the NFL.

Just realize that Calvin Pryor is the exact same size as Johnny Manziel.

Dude you are so annoying.  The draft is the best 3 days of the year, but all I see on this board today is 300 posts from you looking to pick at people.  Stop being such a message board douch.  Some guy says Pryor reminds him of Landry and you get all c.unty about it.  Maybe it's not that accurate but who cares.  They both hit hard that's all he's trying to say.  Someone says Pryor was brought in to help the turnover margin and you shoot that down.  I have news for you-- the current starting Safetys on the Jets had a combined 2 int's and 1 FF.  A playmaker in the secondary is more than necessary.  You can keep hating all you want, but this kid is a player, and he makes the Jets a better team. 

11 more picks to go.  I can't even imagine how annoying you are going to be with those.

Archived