Dexter McDougle

F.Chowds

So it took me 30 seconds on nfl.com to see this kid was projected as a 3rd rounder:

Dexter McDougle, CB (5-foot-10 1/4, 196 pounds) — McDougle ran the 40-yard dash three times, doing so in 4.53, 4.47 and 4.51 seconds. He had a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-2 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.18 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.84 seconds. Like at the NFL Scouting Combine, a shoulder injury prevented McDougle from doing the bench press. He looked very good on the positional workout, which was conducted by the defensive backs coach from the Giants. McDougle — who is a probable third-round draft choice — just returned this morning on a red-eye flight following a visit with the Oakland Raiders.

I thought you said everyone had him as a 6th or 7th?

He was. Oddly enough, if you click the link that you yourself posted there (his name), it takes you to his prospect sheet where it says he's projected 6th or 7th round.

I don't know when his profile was created (calling him a 6th/7th) but Brandt by Apr 16 obviously thought he was more of a 3rd rounder. This guy's draft stock must have been fluctuating like crazy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was. Oddly enough, if you click the link that you yourself posted there (his name), it takes you to his prospect sheet where it says he's projected 6th or 7th round.

I don't know when his profile was created (calling him a 6th/7th) but Brandt by Apr 16 obviously thought he was more of a 3rd rounder. This guy's draft stock must have been fluctuating like crazy.

Injuries will do that.

Injuries will do that.

Yeah but I mean even still, I don't quite get the pick. Sounds like he isn't a press corner and he's maybe a guy you stick in the slot more than anything. There were a few better guys to grab here at CB alone, never mind any other positions of need.

Why Drafting McDougle in the Third Round Was a Bad Pick

by Sirlancemehlot

We could certainly have drafted him ten picks later and still gotten the BAP which fills a need in Gabe Jackson.

"But what if someone else picked him, you know, over the half dozen more highly ranked corners left in the draft?" some might ask.

Well, then, we would still have Gabe Jackson, and one of those other corners shortly thereafter.  Because we have the fourth overall pick in the fourth round, and three fourth rounders overall.  Of course, it is highly likely we would have Jackson and McDougle with two 4th rounders left, but the worst case scenario is Jackson and (fill in the blank with more highly touted prospects).  And this is a better value than simply one, little lonely McDougle.  McDougle may be a good, or even very good player.  But we could have gotten two players that were very good, instead of simply a McDougle.  And That is why drafting McDougle in the third round was a bad pick.

Reach much, Idzik? And I was just about to compliment him for the draft thus far. Oh well, I like the 1st 2 picks anyway. What the heck are we planning to do at WR though???

I'm sure you where in the middle of typing something complimentary right as the pick was announced

I'm sure you where in the middle of typing something complimentary right as the pick was announced

If it was somebody like Moncrief, I would have given this draft an A- so far. As it stands I will give it about a B-. I believe that's a fair grade.

by Sirlancemehlot

We could certainly have drafted him ten picks later and still gotten the BAP which fills a need in Gabe Jackson.

"But what if someone else picked him, you know, over the half dozen more highly ranked corners left in the draft?" some might ask.

Well, then, we would still have Gabe Jackson, and one of those other corners shortly thereafter.  Because we have the fourth overall pick in the fourth round, and three fourth rounders overall.  Of course, it is highly likely we would have Jackson and McDougle with two 4th rounders left, but the worst case scenario is Jackson and (fill in the blank with more highly touted prospects).  And this is a better value than simply one, little lonely McDougle.  McDougle may be a good, or even very good player.  But we could have gotten two players that were very good, instead of simply a McDougle.  And That is why drafting McDougle in the third round was a bad pick.

I totally agree!

by Sirlancemehlot

Actual if we draft Yankey you can rationalize it as drafting Yankey in the 3rd and McDougle in the 4th.

Walter football the 2nd best football website did not even rank him on cornerbacks.  They rank 25 to 30 players.     NFL DRAFT COUNTDOWN  the number 1 website ranked him 37 best CB. Enough said. 

Where did bobfootball.com rank him?

Walter football the 2nd best football website did not even rank him on cornerbacks.  They rank 25 to 30 players.     NFL DRAFT COUNTDOWN  the number 1 website ranked him 37 best CB. Enough said. 

were these the same experts who debated manning/leaf ?

I don't love the pick, but ya gotta give the jets scouts the benefit of the doubt until at least 1 practice, right ?

Nothing but Jets Jets address cornerback needs, draft Maryland's Dexter McDougle

Friday May 9, 2014 11:04 PM By Kimberley Martin

image.jpg

The Jets finally addressed their cornerback needs in Round 3 of the NFL draft – and raised some eyebrows in the process.

With the 80th overall pick Friday night, the Jets selected Maryland cornerback Dexter McDougle.

He may not be a well-known name to some football fans, but the 5-10, 196-pounder can play when healthy.

"He’s the type of player you had your eyes on him early on," said Jets general manager John Idzik."You’d like to see the entire season, but when he did start he had three picks in three games, (was) very productive in his short time. So it didn’t do anything to tell you that he was anything different than you had seen before."

McDougle missed final nine games in 2013 and the Combine workouts due to season-ending shoulder injury. But despite being sidelined, he traveled to every away game and attended every practice and team meeting. As a result, Maryland coach Randy Edsall presented him with the inaugural Dexter McDougle Ultimate Team Player Award at season end.

The cornerback also suffered a broken collarbone in a scooter accident in 2010.

But the front office isn't concerned about his durability.

"When we watched him, we saw a guy that we think has versatility, can play outside, can play inside as a nickel possibly," said Rex Ryan. "Obviously, we like his cover skills. But we think he’s a complete corner. We think he can tackle. We know he can tackle. He’s aggressive. He’ll challenge you at the line of scrimmage. He’s got good ball skills. And obviously, we feel good (that) he can run. But (he’s) a very aggressive player as well.

"And the thing that I thought was impressive, Terry brought this to our attention, the coach there named an award after this young man. Dex is a tremendous person. He loved his team. He wanted to support them in every way he possibly could. But we think he fits that Jet profile. I think he’s a great teammate and (we) look forward to seeing what he can do here."

Though draft expert Nolan Nawrocki had McDougle projected as a sixth or seventh-round pick, NFL.com's Gil Brandt listed the Maryland DB as a possible third-rounder. McDougle posted 40-yard dash times of 4.53, 4.47 and 4.51 at his Pro Day.

But despite his injury history, the Jets believe they’ve added a solid corner to join Dee Milliner and first-round safety Calvin Pryor in their secondary.

“It was indescribable,” McDougle said of being drafted by the Jets.It’s just a feeling, you just get a loss of words. I’ve been waiting for this my whole life, since a little kid and my dream has finally come true. I’m just ready to play ball."

"...When I walked in there I just liked the environment, I liked the people that were there. ...It just felt right when I went there. It was definitely my best visit. I’m just very happy right now."

McDougle, who underwent surgery in September, said he’ll be ready for minicamp -- and Idzik later confirmed.

"Oh yeah, definitely. I’m back. I’m healthy," the corner said. "...I just want to come back and show everybody that I’m a competitor. I’ll come in and do whatever I have to do to get on the field. I want to make an impact no matter where it’s at. I’m just going to play my role and just do whatever I have to do and just go 100 percent."

by Sirlancemehlot

Good points. Especially since they just signed Vick and Johnson so protection and running the ball are paramount. Winters was just awful. He was abused like a step child.  

Total bust.  He needs to be replaced and quick.  Jackson would have been a huge upgrade. In fact, our whole OL is gonna be sh*t in 2 years and collecting social security.

Co-sign.  I didn't know anything about McDougle before the pick, but watch any video and it is apparent that he is a player.  Fantastic speed, he covers, gets all over the ball and tackles well.  Seems to have his head screwed on right too, based on how he handled himself while injured.  Love the pick.

Obviously they were very high on the kid and perhaps they knew somebody else had him in their sights. Many of the players mentioned in this thread as being better options, who they should have pick instead, won't even be in the NFL next year and even more in two years. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play. I didn't lose a moments sleep last night over a 3rd round reach.

I didn't realize he won "The Dexter McDougle Ultimate Team Player Award". I wonder how much that factored in our decision.

first snoopy now this , there's hardware at every turn in jet land

Obviously they were very high on the kid and perhaps they knew somebody else had him in their sights. Many of the players mentioned in this thread as being better options, who they should have pick instead, won't even be in the NFL next year and even more in two years. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play. I didn't lose a moments sleep last night over a 3rd round reach.

Good point in bold, and a real possibility.

People were all excited about Idzik putting together his own front office, having his own scouting department in place. The hope was they'd do a better job finding talent deeper in the draft. Well, here it is, their first "surprise" pick. If this was truly their BAP, it's a pretty ballsy pick. Addresses an obvious need. I think I'll wait 'til I see him in a couple pre-season games before I declare it a bust.

Archived