And We're Back! - Day 3 Draft Thread

slats

I don't think Evans is bad or anything, just boring. His upside is Cotchery, and Cotchery might have been a slightly better athlete and was almost definitely more productive coming out of NC St catching passes for the Rivers.  I'm too lazy to check. Bryant and Norwood would have been quality alternatives to the WRs drafted. I can't think of the last player from Oklahoma U that I like. 

I still love the Amaro/Decker/Johnson trio of additions to the roster. Going to say again that I like the Dozier pick. 

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing, there was a huge run on CBs in round 4, so my guess is that we had McDougle high enough on our board to where Idzik anticipated that happening eventually and decided to pull the trigger. And that's cool, but there was enough other talent left on the board at that point in the 3rd where that strategy clearly wasn't worth it.

When we picked McDougle there hadn't been a corner off the board since Baptiste to New Orleans in the second, and then afterwards nine came off in the fourth. Say whatever else you will about the pick, the Jets obviously loved him where they got him.

Is it time to draft Mettenburgh (still don't know why he is available, must be some sort of black flag I haven't heard about)? Or maybe the QB from Oklahoma?

Really Really Really want Dri Archer here, but I feel Saunders makes him not an option.

Is it time to draft Mettenburgh (still don't know why he is available, must be some sort of black flag I haven't heard about)? Or maybe the QB from Oklahoma?

Really Really Really want Dri Archer here, but I feel Saunders makes him not an option.

Archer went at the bottom of the 3rd to the Steelers.

Dri Archer went shortly after we took the defensive juggernaut out of Maryland

When we picked McDougle there hadn't been a corner off the board since Baptiste to New Orleans in the second, and then afterwards nine came off in the fourth. Say whatever else you will about the pick, the Jets obviously loved him where they got him.

I disagree. This was always a draft that was very CB deep for rounds 4 and 5. And if the Jets really did love McDougle in that spot then we have a problem.

I disagree. This was always a draft that was very CB deep for rounds 4 and 5. And if the Jets really did love McDougle in that spot then we have a problem.

I think the value-add with McDougle, and what some of the intent was behind his drafting--is that Idzik has no intention of re-upping Kyle Wilson.

His 3 game tapes must have been the best trilogy since Star Wars

Are you being facetious?

The guy is 5'9", DeSean Jackson is 6'. Tavon Austin is also tiny, but had 10 pounds on Saunders. He also had a fairly rough rookie campaign. Both those guys were a tenth of a second faster, too. If he's put on weight, great. Hope he can carry it and maintain his decent speed. Don't really see the fit outside of return man.

Desean is not 6', unless he's grown since then.  Most 2008 combine measurements had him at 5'10" and 168 pounds.  To split hairs, I had seen him measured at both 5'9 3/4" and 70" (5'8").  These guys are the same size and weight coming into the league.  And, Tavon Austin was a tad shorter -- and everyone was tripping on their dicks to trade up for him.  Neither of those guys are limited to being return men.  

Desean is not 6', unless he's grown since then. Most 2008 combine measurements had him at 5'10" and 168 pounds. To split hairs, I had seen him measured at both 5'9 3/4" and 70" (5'8"). These guys are the same size and weight coming into the league. And, Tavon Austin was a tad shorter -- and everyone was tripping on their dicks to trade up for him. Neither of those guys are limited to being return men.

You can get away with being <190 if you have surreal speed that prevents teams from pressing you. If you're small and can't run past NFL corners consistently, you're DOA

I think the value-add with McDougle, and what some of the intent was behind his drafting--is that Idzik has no intention of re-upping Kyle Wilson.

McDougle is certainly not good enough to justify passing on Turner and Jackson and taking one of the other several CBs that went in the 4th, who are all better anyways. And healthier.

You are spot on.  That is not such fall-back position in case he does to pan out playing outside -- which is essentially what happened with Wilson.

You can get away with being <190 if you have surreal speed that prevents teams from pressing you. If you're small and can't run past NFL corners consistently, you're DOA

He's got speed in spades and looks like he is more physical than most guys his size.  

Desean is not 6', unless he's grown since then.  Most 2008 combine measurements had him at 5'10" and 168 pounds.  To split hairs, I had seen him measured at both 5'9 3/4" and 70" (5'8").  These guys are the same size and weight coming into the league.  And, Tavon Austin was a tad shorter -- and everyone was tripping on their dicks to trade up for him.  Neither of those guys are limited to being return men.  

Every year there are ton of short, fast guys. Not all of them become Deseasn. Also lets not talk about Tavon like his first year was ground breaking.

At the end of the day a reach is a reach is a reach!

Archived