And We're Back! - Day 3 Draft Thread

slats

No teams. The experts. Could the experts be wrong? Sure. Idzik could be right. It's just a lot to ask, to be drafting 6th-7th round projected players in the 3rd and 4th and expect us to believe that other teams secretly have them as high as the Jets.

These guys aren't experts - they are paid to entertain . The experts are each teams scouts who put a hell of a lot more time interviewing, watching, reviewing the tapes. I stopped following the draft pundits because it's a bit silly and they rarely get it right. This reach concept is a bit silly. If you grade a player 3rd round you treat him so - you don't have the arrogance to sit there and say Kipers and the boys have him going in the sixth round so we' ll wait until the 5 th so we get a good grade on tv. You pick him where u rate him because chances are another team also has him rated.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like our draft for the most part other than McDougle and Saunders... They're were too far of a reach for me. Especially McDougle when so many good CBs were on the board like McGill, Desir, and Breeland. I do like Amaro, and Dozier a lot though. Pryor has a lot of potential but he needs to be used right.

Tend to agree, but I'm no expert. I didn't like the McDougle pick at first, but I'm warming up to it. I feel like they got back on track with the last couple picks, though.

As for Pryor, him being used right is the least of my concerns. I have no doubt that Rex will put him in position to excel.

We're reaching in all likelihood, but seattle flat out does not give a sh*t about perceived consensus when it comes to draft picks either. Idzik must have a similar mentality with it. I dunno. I've been very skeptical of waiting as long as we did for a WR so we'll see i guess. I think we're going to regret not grabbing one of the top tier WRs out of this draft.

I agree with this when there's upside to the pick. Mcdougle, Evans, and Saunders have absolutely no upside. Now Dozier does.

Anybody see the statistic of the Jets passing offense under Rex's leadership since 2009 on the draft show? Lol either next to last or dead last in the league every year. That was pretty funny

Saunders is tiny, I have a feeling they like him as a punt returner more than a receiver, though.

Tavon Austin, Desean Jackson tiny?  The guy is 5'10", was 165 at the combine and is reportedly up to 175 now.  Get a clue.

I really have very little faith in the scouting department when it comes to offensive players. It's been quite a while since we had an offensive pick that we hit a home run on.

Ditto. I don't exactly find much of this surprising, because Rex is gonna Rex, but the Jets had a huge opportunity to build a base for the future like they did in 2006 and as of now I think Idzik blew it. Which is a damn shame because I think he was having a great offseason up until now. I don't think his draft is terrible, but it really isn't all that great either and it's pretty clear that it could have been.

I like our draft for the most part other than McDougle and Saunders... They're were too far of a reach for me. Especially McDougle when so many good CBs were on the board like McGill, Desir, and Breeland. I do like Amaro, and Dozier a lot though. Pryor has a lot of potential but he needs to be used right.

They might be good players. But the problem is we could have picked McDougle in the lower 4th or 5th pick and Saunders in the 6th.

Tend to agree, but I'm no expert. I didn't like the McDougle pick at first, but I'm warming up to it. I feel like they got back on track with the last couple picks, though.

As for Pryor, him being used right is the least of my concerns. I have no doubt that Rex will put him in position to excel.

McDougle's film was good, I like the kid... but I am positive we could have waited til at least the 4th if not the 5th and still got him easily. I'm sure Rex will utilize Pryor as much as possible, he will be a force to be reckoned with. I'm just concerned with his coverage skills, he over pursues too much sometimes for the big hits and you don't want him as your last line of defense. 

They might be good players. But the problem is we could have picked McDougle in the lower 4th or 5th pick and Saunders in the 6th.

I share the exact same sentiments... Idzik&Co are a little too overwhelmed by having 12 picks maybe?... over analyzing some of the other picks?

Tavon Austin, Desean Jackson tiny?  The guy is 5'10", was 165 at the combine and is reportedly up to 175 now.  Get a clue.

Are you being facetious?

The guy is 5'9", DeSean Jackson is 6'. Tavon Austin is also tiny, but had 10 pounds on Saunders. He also had a fairly rough rookie campaign. Both those guys were a tenth of a second faster, too. If he's put on weight, great. Hope he can carry it and maintain his decent speed. Don't really see the fit outside of return man.

McDougle's film was good, I like the kid... but I am positive we could have waited til at least the 4th if not the 5th and still got him easily. I'm sure Rex will utilize Pryor as much as possible, he will be a force to be reckoned with. I'm just concerned with his coverage skills, he over pursues too much sometimes for the big hits and you don't want him as your last line of defense.

Here's the thing, there was a huge run on CBs in round 4, so my guess is that we had McDougle high enough on our board to where Idzik anticipated that happening eventually and decided to pull the trigger. And that's cool, but there was enough other talent left on the board at that point in the 3rd where that strategy clearly wasn't worth it.

Archived