• Scouts Grade39
  • Position Rank15
  • Overall Rank254
  • Arm Length30-5/8"
  • Hand Size9-1/2"
  • 40-YD Dash4.84
  • ConferenceACC

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2009: Redshirted 2010: (7/0) - 33-66-52.4-329-4-32011: (14/14) - 298-499-59.7-33-12 2012: (13/13) - 287-427-67.2-3,896-36-132013: (13/13) - 283-413-68.5-3,851-34-11 Career rushing: 505-1,165-2.3-26 Height-Weight-Speed 4 Below average height and short arms (30 ¾) for prototypical quarterback prospect. Has adequate weight but an underdeveloped frame that lacks muscle tone. Soft core. Average hand size (9 ¾). Top-end speed is slightly above-average. Durability 2 Has been durable the past three seasons, starting all 40 games. Left in third quarter of 2011 Boston College game with what appeared to be a serious lower body injury but started against Maryland the following week. Played senior season of high school on a torn ACL and underwent surgery in January of 2009. Intangibles 2 37-8 record as a starter. Has improved the way he responds to criticism and bad plays. Aware of impact bad body language has on teammates. Dedicated to improving mechanics. Has had problems keeping weight down in the past and dedication to conditioning needs to be investigated further. Son of Carla and Tim Boyd. Father was in the Navy. Credits parents for keeping him out of trouble growing up. Cousin, Darrell Roseman, was an offensive lineman at Auburn.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Quarterback Specific Traits
Mental Makeup 4 Comes from a wide open scheme and will have to adjust to pro-style offense and reads. Lacks ideal height which can affect sight line and often relies on blind throws. Must improve ball security and will force throws into traffic. Clock speeds up once feeling pressure and can rush decisions. Often loses track of backside coverage. Lacks ideal poise inside the pocket. Too quick to tuck and run from a clean pocket and will miss second and third progressions coming open. Displays very good toughness and will deliver throw while taking a shot. Accuracy 3 Has some natural accuracy as a thrower on the move and flashes ability to deliver an accurate throw from an unbalanced platform. Also shows above-average touch as a deep ball thrower. However, needs a lot of development with footwork. Feet are not always tied to upper body and will miss routine NFL throws as a result. Does not always transfer weight especially when feeling pressure in face. Struggles to get proper projection over linebackers with intermediate throws between the hashes due to lack of height and low release point. Release/Arm Strength 3 Quick 3/4 to sidearm release. Shows ability to change up arm slots. Ball comes of hand clean with plenty of RPMs. Lack of height and low release point bring up concerns about tipped ball at the NFL level. Will constantly need to pry and find throwing lanes. Arm-strength is above-average and can make most NFL throws. Pocket Mobility 3 Above-average athlete with quick feet, good agility and the mobility to move the chains as a runner. However, does not appear to have natural pocket awareness. Drops eye level and looks to run instead of sliding within the pocket when rush avoiding. Can do a better job of climbing the pocket vs. edge pressure. Often late feeling backside pressure.
1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

2014 Draft Pick Info

Team Round PK(OVR) NYJ 6 37(213)

2013 NCAA Football Stats

Rating YDS TDS 168.7 3851 34

the 3rd 6th round pick is a QB with some arm talent and ability

he gets to be the 3rd string QB next year, and maybe develop into a back up who is young and healthy rather than brunnell, garrard etc etc

They are going ape sh*t at Taj Boyd's house right now.  Its like he was picked #1 in the entire draft.  I think they know he has a really really really really good chance to be the future QB

of The New York Jets.  After all, Eugene is not in his class.  Boyd isn't the smoothest QB but has interesting intangibles. I think damn near 75% of the available QB's in this draft would beat Eugene out easily. 

I hereby declare Idzik and  an idiot for picking Eugene in round 2 last year. There was no need to grab an overrated QB last year when this years lot was so deep.  Manziel was there for the taking and Idzik let him slip right through our fingers. Could have traded Eugene for a 2019 7th round pick and taken Johnnie or Jimmy.  In fact I think Belicheat took Jimmy just to keep him away from us. Regardless, Boyd will unseat Eugene sooner rather than later.     

People are really steaming over a 6th round compensatory pick!? Unbelievable. I see it as picking up a backup QB for Geno once Vick is gone next season. How can you have strong feelings either way?

I don't mean to overreact. It's what the pick symbolizes, that I don't like. It's low brow hardy hat har ah shucks, that Rex, he can sure shoot from the hip, type bullsh*t.

Meh. Boyd was a good player in college. If we had one 6th rounder I'd be annoyed, but if seen him play a ton....inconsistent but has certainly had his moments.

Not a bad pick if he becomes the next brad smith, just stating rex is still the main guy

on most of the picks, I do think Rex / Idzik is a good combo, all 12 picks have a chance

to make the team, maybe 2 out of 3 wide receivers, unless they keep 6.

Stop it. Kid went to Clemson. He is smart. Smart QBs do good. You know it, I know it, don't be afraid to show it.

you know what crusher Im fine with the kid where we drafted him what Im not fine with is that we had 3 4th round picks that we could have used to bargain onto the second and third rounds and we sat on them. So we got 12 guys instead of 10 or 9 big freakin deal. We could have worked deals to Get Lee and Amaro and we would have been just fine on offense. Either idzik has no balls or no one to reach out to to make sh*t happen. I think the players we picked early could be very good players but I still think this draft was handled poorly from the perspective I mentioned above

Archived