What is a fair grade for the Jets 2014 draft class

NYJetsVets91

What would you grade the Jets 2014 Draft Overall  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What is a fair grade for the Jets 2014 draft class?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL network guys both gave it an A

I predict cimini and mehta will say C "because johnny"

I voted B

a need draft where he drafted too many corners and WR's.  he will have to cut at least 2 probably

I saw that, and I was really surprised, although the lowest grade they gave any team was a B-... so there's that. I was torn between B and C. I ended up giving a C just because there were too many reach picks... I was really excited after Pryor and Amaro, ever since then the only pick I really liked was Dozier.

I voted C.  Not that I or most anyone else up here knows squat.  I would have voted higher if they had used picks to move up and get a better WR instead of taking 3 of questionable ability later.  Of course, if one of them turns out to be Jerry Rice II............................................

If Bridgewater and Manziel start winning playoff games, the grade falls somewhere between F and Hiroshima

Bridgewater hurt slightly, but Geno got this and trading Bridgewater later wouldn't beat an 18 pick now. Thats actually how I rationalized it. 

If Bridgewater and Manziel start winning playoff games, the grade falls somewhere between F and Hiroshima

That. But also there are guys that we passed on in every round 3-5 who were graded higher. The players we took better pan out because if Turner or Ellington are good and our selections aren't Idzik deserves to have his job thrown into question. He really went out on a limb with a bunch of these picks in a draft where the Jets had a huge opportunity to build a strong base for the future.

That. But also there are guys that we passed on in every round 3-5 who were graded higher. The players we took better pan out because if Turner or Ellington are good and our selections aren't Idzik deserves to have his job thrown into question. He really went out on a limb with a bunch of these picks in a draft where the Jets had a huge opportunity to build a strong base for the future.

Because I'm so traumatized by the Tannenbaum Era, I'm actually taking it as a positive that we didn't draft "popular" names that draftniks liked.

I don't grade drafts after a day.

It's like marking an exam based on handwriting. 

Fair enough... If you took an English exam it could be the most important part. I'm obviously basing it off of film, scout evaluations, college stats, etc. Only thing we have to go off of right now.

Yep I never could have passed on Manziei. Even if he fails he was worth the shot. 

Solid B as we took multiple DB's and WR's hoping something sticks.

The 12 picks thing is misleading. Half of them in the last 3 rounds.

What matters is what we did in 1-4.

Most teams get 7 picks if they are lucky. We had 6 before round 5.

Pryor and Amaro start immediately. I don't know what to make of McDougle, Saunders and Evans... I do know that being able to defend the TE and the slot WR has been a major problem for us over the years, and I think Pryor and McDougle could impact that. The scouting reports I've seen for the 2 WRs make it sound like Evans is a good fit for WCO depth and Saunders is a situational guy that can be used creatively, and could potentially become a fixture in certain situations. Dunno. 

I like that these weren't the guys that NFL.com rated however, because as the draft went down MOST of those guys were passed on by MOST of the teams in the league. There's a definite gap between scouting depts and sports media. 

I think the things that bothered me in this draft were 1.) taking McDougle over Gabe Jackson, 2.) not getting Tom Savage and 3.) taking Saunders over Ellington

For the most part, I don't know enough to dig my heels in and lay down the drama like nothing was done right. The most promising thing I'm taking away from the draft right now is that we used those 12 picks to attack weaknesses, without solely drafting for need.  We threw picks at positions (WR, LB and CB) that have definite room for improvement, competition and roster turnover. My hope is that we re-invent both position groups, and that is what it looks like the philosophy was... improve the position group, rather than just "get a guy". There's value in that way of thinking, it facilitates preparation for a strong "next man up" culture. Rather than hinging all of your hopes on a couple key guys, you have depth and contributions from top to bottom.

I think we're also seeing a little of what this front office values in players - if we remember back to Tanny's "Mangini guy" mantra - it's similar here, they have a "type" and the thing we know the least about is how personality and attitude is affecting their board. I do know this... speed and physicality seems to be a big priority.

The Pryor and Amaro tandem make it a B alone. Everyone bitching and moaning is losing site that they still need to, you know, see them play before you jump off a cliff.

People in an up roar about the mid round picks are losing sight of the probability of those players hitting. It's just as likely the name you love in those rounds are out of the league in 3 years and the name you've never heard is still playing.

Hopefully they hit on 1 or 2 of those and they net 4 starters and some depth.

I went with D. There was way to many reaches.

Based on what? Just curious, but in order to evaluate what is a reach and what isn't, you have to either assume the whole league is drafting based on mocks from ESPN writers... or that NY Mick has access to the rest of the league's boards.

The Pryor and Amaro tandem make it a B alone. Everyone bitching and moaning is losing site that they still need to, you know, see them play before you jump off a cliff.

People in an up roar about the mid round picks are losing sight of the probability of those players hitting. It's just as likely the name you love in those rounds are out of the league in 3 years and the name you've never heard is still playing.

Hopefully they hit on 1 or 2 of those and they net 4 starters and some depth.

Remember Tanny drafts when he'd make 4 picks total, and it would include a 1st round bust, and 3 players the fans thought he should take?

Based on what? Just curious, but in order to evaluate what is a reach and what isn't, you have to either assume the whole league is drafting based on mocks from ESPN writers... or that NY Mick has access to the rest of the league's boards.

I don't really see how a mid round pick can be considered a reach. After the first 40-50, everyone has a different board

Remember Tanny drafts when he'd make 4 picks total, and it would include a 1st round bust, and 3 players the fans thought he should take?

Maybe by sheer numbers they get lucky and land a few gems. It's definitely weird having so many picks and not trading a round like mad men.

Maybe by sheer numbers they get lucky and land a few gems. It's definitely weird having so many picks and not trading a round like mad men.

I like what Idzik did.

We still need a lot of turnover on this roster, so giving up 3rd and 4th rounders is dumb. Most of the trade-able picks had 5th, 6th and 7th round value. They aren't going to get you much.

Archived