Which draft pick was your favorite ?

Larz

lets get some positive vibes going.  Lets see if we can all agree Amaro was an awesome pick and find SOMEONE ELSE we liked

S - Calvin Pryor

CB - Dex McDougle

WR - Jalen Saunders

WR - Shaq Evans

OG - Dakota Dozier

ILB - Jeremiah George

CB - Brandon Dixon

WR - Quincy Enunwa

DE (OLB ?) - IK Enemkpali

QB - Tajh Boyd

OLB - Trevor Reilly

I have to say the more I read on Reilly the more I feel like he will make the team and be a fan favorite

Dozier is nice, a beast with upside

but I like the Louisville Slugger !!!!

I have to say the more I read on Reilly the more I feel like he will make the team and be a fan favorite

Dozier is nice, a beast with upsid

but I like the Louisville Slugger !!!!

Sounds all good with Reilly as a person, but he looks like he can get bullied strength-wise a bit and is not particularly nimble or fast. Long-shot, but hopefully i'm wrong.

There are two longshots that I will look at

Reilly because of his story

Enunwa has good size to compete for roster spot

WR - Quincy Enunwa

OLB - Trevor Reilly

I liked the Q pick as well.  perfect NFL size/speed

My top 3 favorite picks of the draft were:  #1. Jordan Matthews by the Eagles. #2. Phillip Gaines by The Chiefs. #3. David Fales by the Bears.

Jace Amaro was my favorite Jets pick given how much help we need on the offensive side of the ball. TE's seem to be replacing RB's in regards to importance in today's league. Jace Amaro provides a big consistent target all over the field and has enough speed to create in the seam. He will draw attention because of that which will open up opportunities for other guys. He has the potential to be an all around playmaking TE threat.

My top 3 favorite picks of the draft were:  #1. Jordan Matthews by the Eagles. #2. Phillip Gaines by The Chiefs. #3. David Fales by the Bears.

Jace Amaro was my favorite Jets pick given how much help we need on the offensive side of the ball. TE's seem to be replacing RB's in regards to importance in today's league. Jace Amaro provides a big consistent target all over the field and has enough speed to create in the seam. He will draw attention because of that which will open up opportunities for other guys. He has the potential to be an all around playmaking TE threat.

cool, thanks.    Any of the other guys stick out to you ?

lets get some positive vibes going. Lets see if we can all agree Amaro was an awesome pick and find SOMEONE ELSE we liked

S - Calvin Pryor

CB - Dex McDougle

WR - Jalen Saunders

WR - Shaq Evans

OG - Dakota Dozier

ILB - Jeremiah George

CB - Brandon Dixon

WR - Quincy Enunwa

DE (OLB ?) - IK Enemkpali

QB - Tajh Boyd

OLB - Trevor Reilly

Pryor and the player you didn't list.

cool, thanks.    Any of the other guys stick out to you ?

Yes. Calvin Pryor of course. I did truly believe that safety was more of a priority than Corner and Im glad that Idzik seen and understood that.

Generally speaking I think our top 5 picks will not only make the team but see significant time on the field. Of course Pryor and Amaro will be starters, but I have to believe that Dakota has a shot at Guard and Shaq Evans has an opportunity to make the #2 spot. Jalen Saunders is a damn good depth pick imo and could certainly play the slot giving Kerley rest and he seemed to be successful playing the outside in some highlight films that I seen. I havent been able to watch any play-by-play game tape yet.

If you're asking if this was a solid draft I'd have to say yes. If you're asking did this draft go as suspected I'd say partly (Jace Amaro). I didnt see that pryor pick coming especially with the WR's who were still on the board. Nonetheless, it was a need. I didnt see passing on Phillip Gaines either....especially for another Corner at that point. I also didnt see us waiting til the 4th round to start drafting WR's. I guess thats how the board fell, but still. I do think that Shaq Evans has potential and its hard to say that we should have picked a WR over Jace Amaro in the 2nd round. Im just glad that the Jets didnt have to choose between Matthews and Amaro and they picked Amaro. I believe that the Jets should have moved up to secure Matthews but thats just my bias talking. I really respect his game and his approach to it. His speech on stage and afterwards just confirmed to me that the Eagles is going to get everything he has, which is all you can ask from a football player.

So to sum up, the draft was solid. It addressed every position it needed to and more importantly many of the players provide dual roles (their position as well as special teams play) which indicated that the scouting department was really doing homework in regards to getting the most bang for your buck. Because of that fact all 9 players picked has a legit chance to make this football team which also shows the value in the picks. We've drafted day one starters, depth players, special teamers and developmental players. John Idzik did his thing, didnt move up or down and used all 9 picks to the best of his ability though the 1 reach imo was Dexter McDougle. I believe he would have been their in the 4th or 5th rounds and I feel that we passed on a possible day 1 starter in Phillip Gaines.

Grade: A

Yes. Calvin Pryor of course. I did truly believe that safety was more of a priority than Corner and Im glad that Idzik seen and understood that.

Generally speaking I think our top 5 picks will not only make the team but see significant time on the field. Of course Pryor and Amaro will be starters, but I have to believe that Dakota has a shot at Guard and Shaq Evans has an opportunity to make the #2 spot. Jalen Saunders is a damn good depth pick imo and could certainly play the slot giving Kerley rest and he seemed to be successful playing the outside in some highlight films that I seen. I havent been able to watch any play-by-play game tape yet.

If you're asking if this was a solid draft I'd have to say yes. If you're asking did this draft go as suspected I'd say partly (Jace Amaro). I didnt see that pryor pick coming especially with the WR's who were still on the board. Nonetheless, it was a need. I didnt see passing on Phillip Gaines either....especially for another Corner at that point. I also didnt see us waiting til the 4th round to start drafting WR's. I guess thats how the board fell, but still. I do think that Shaq Evans has potential and its hard to say that we should have picked a WR over Jace Amaro in the 2nd round. Im just glad that the Jets didnt have to choose between Matthews and Amaro and they picked Amaro. I believe that the Jets should have moved up to secure Matthews but thats just my bias talking. I really respect his game and his approach to it. His speech on stage and afterwards just confirmed to me that the Eagles is going to get everything he has, which is all you can ask from a football player.

So to sum up, the draft was solid. It addressed every position it needed to and more importantly many of the players provide dual roles (their position as well as special teams play) which indicated that the scouting department was really doing homework in regards to getting the most bang for your buck. Because of that fact all 9 players picked has a legit chance to make this football team which also shows the value in the picks. We've drafted day one starters, depth players, special teamers and developmental players. John Idzik did his thing, didnt move up or down and used all 9 picks to the best of his ability though the 1 reach imo was Dexter McDougle. I believe he would have been their in the 4th or 5th rounds and I feel that we passed on a possible day 1 starter in Phillip Gaines.

Grade: A

We've drafted day one starters, depth players, special teamers and developmental players.

nice

thanks for taking the time dude.   did we get a kick returner ?  punt returner ?

yeah dex was weird, I like Dixon better to play on the outside, which is what they need

Least favorite was Pryor by far. Cooks would have been a far bigger upgrade for this team, and all of the elite prospects were gone when we picked Amaro.

I like the fourth round WRs, I think both can make the team and Saunders can contribute in a lot of ways, but I think Dozier was our best pick. Give him a year to learn from Colon and he could be special.

We've drafted day one starters, depth players, special teamers and developmental players.

nice

thanks for taking the time dude.   did we get a kick returner ?  punt returner ?

yeah dex was weird, I like Dixon better to play on the outside, which is what they need

Jalen Saunders is a punt returner. He returned 3 punts for TD's in 2 years. This will be another way for him to make the team.

OU football notebook: Teams limiting Jalen Saunders' punt returns

Oklahoma's senior wide receiver ha demonstrated impressive ability on punt returns, including an 81-yard touchdown in last year's Bedlam win.

Oklahoma senior wide receiver Jalen Saunders has demonstrated impressive ability on punt returns, including an 81-yard touchdown in last year's Bedlam win.

w300-65b27588a7cae71f2d47e792c51660d2.jp

Oklahoma's Jalen Saunders (8) leaps over tacklers on a punt return during a college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the West Virginia University Mountaineers at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Okla., on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman

So far this year, teams have punted to the Sooners 40 times, but Saunders has only managed 10 returns. He's averaging more than 10 yards per return, but has had to call for fair catches on most of his opportunities.

“Some people sacrifice a little distance for a little more hang time and don't allow you to return it,” said OU coach Bob Stoops.

“The ones he's had chances with he's done pretty well.”

Asked if there's anything schematically OU can do to combat those opponents' strategies, Stoops said: “No. Unless I can get in their meetings and ask them to kick it low and far.”

Wide receiver Jalen Saunders, who began his college career at Fresno State before transferring to Oklahoma for his final two seasons, was a fourth-round selection by the New York Jets on Saturday in the NFL draft.

The 104th overall pick came to the Jets via last year's trade of cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay.

Saunders is 5 feet, 9 inches but weighs 165 pounds. He had 203 receptions for 3,085 yards (15.2-yard average), 26 receiving touchdowns and two rushing TDs in his four college seasons. With the Sooners, he returned three punts for touchdowns over the past two years.

He played at Fresno State in 2010-11, signing out of Pleasant Grove High-Elk Grove, but transfered after the arrival of new Bulldogs coach Tim DeRuyter before the 2012 season. Saunders was concerned over how he might be used in the spread offense that DeRuyter brought with him to the new job.

But he was productive in his short stay in Fresno, making an impact at receiver and on special teams.

Saunders returned 32 kicks for a 23.2 average in 2010 and in 2011 posted the ninth 1,000-yard receiving season in Bulldogs history on just 50 catches -- 12 of them for touchdowns -- while averaging 21.3 yards per reception. He also rushed for two TDs that season.

At Oklahoma, he averaged 12 yards per catch in 2013 and 13.4 in 2012.

"Saunders weighed in at a hefty 165 pounds at the Senior Bowl," NFL.com analyst Mike Mayock wrote. "At 165 pounds, he's one of most physical receivers in football; he ear holes defensive backs. He can play in the slot or on the outside, and he can also play special teams."

Jalen Saunders Fresno State Highlights

NFL.com has Jeremiah George down as "Having the make up of a Special Teams Terror".

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeremiah-george?id=2543594

There is a lot of history that goes with the Amaro pick. It's not in any way an exaggeration to say that he was drafted specifically to be Geno Smith's Wes Welker. Amaro put up record numbers at the Y receiver position in the air raid offense under Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech. Klingsbury was the quarterback when Welker played the same position in the original air raid at Tech under Mike Leach. One of Leach's assistants was Dana Holgorsen, who coached Geno in the system at West Virginia.

Also in Pryor Rex gets his 46, so there's that.

Archived