Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had some good results with carb cycling to make weight for boxing in the past. Been powerlifting for a few years now, I like keeping the carbs constant for energy. I recently figured out a very good recipe for sweet potatoes on the grill and it's been nice to switch things up from rice and oatmeal; and I also switched to steel cut from instant with oatmeal and I've noticed a difference.

I'm of the opinion that you have to find what works best for you since everyone has a different body, but as I've gotten older I've found that keeping my body guessing with different foods gives me better results than cycling fats or carbs. And most importantly, at least for me, when I'm consistent with lots of vegetables that makes way more of a difference than anything else.

Congrats though. 13% is a good accomplishment, especially when you're so used to a powerlifter's mentality. It's a very rough transition and a tough psychological barrier to get over with the iron. I have a lot of respect for people who can keep it under 10%, that's very hard to maintain.

I'm certainly not trying to stay at single digits. I just want to hit it once in my life. Take some pictures then bulk back up to around 14%. I just got tired of lifting 10x what everyone else is and not looking the part. What's the sweet potato recipe. I've been meaning to work them into my diet.

I love the bob's irish style steel cut oats.

I'm certainly not trying to stay at single digits. I just want to hit it once in my life. Take some pictures then bulk back up to around 14%. I just got tired of lifting 10x what everyone else is and not looking the part. What's the sweet potato recipe. I've been meaning to work them into my diet.

I love the bob's irish style steel cut oats.

Yeah, ditto. Irish style is the way to go. The one thing I've always said about powerlifting when compared to bodybuilding is that the former is harder in the gym, while the latter is much harder out of it. Lifting is the fun and easy part.

Re the potatoes: Peel, cube, seal with a miniscule amount of butter (or margarine), along with salt and cinnamon in foil and throw them on low heat for a half hour. You'll have to experiment with the timing because every grill is different, but it makes it easy to time things with chicken or beef once you get it down. Spray the inside of the foil with some Pam too because they'll definitely stick if you don't. I like cooking 3-4 pouches at a time so I have easy sides for a week.

Yeah, ditto. Irish style is the way to go. The one thing I've always said about powerlifting when compared to bodybuilding is that the former is harder in the gym, while the latter is much harder out of it. Lifting is the fun and easy part.

Re the potatoes: Peel, cube, seal with a miniscule amount of butter (or margarine), along with salt and cinnamon in foil and throw them on low heat for a half hour. You'll have to experiment with the timing because every grill is different, but it makes it easy to time things with chicken or beef once you get it down. Spray the inside of the foil with some Pam too because they'll definitely stick if you don't. I like cooking 3-4 pouches at a time so I have easy sides for a week.

Thanks for the recipie. Yeah, I've been doing a variation of brandon lilly's cube with a few added bodybuilding exercises to target "weaknesses and imbalances." The bodybuilding stuff is cake compared to the powerlifting/strongman stuff and not nearly as fun.

That's weird that this came along when it did. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that we needed a thread where we could bro out and talk about lifting. Nice.

I've been weight training since I was 20, and have put on a decent amount of mass over the years on what started as a pretty small frame. I used to follow pro bodybuilding during the Ronnie Coleman era and pretty much lived lived and breathed the lifestyle for several years.

Nowadays I still lift five times a week but do more maintenance than anything. I was thinking about going on one last focused training run starting this summer and trying to up my compound lifts as much as I can (before my shoulders and knees give out, that is--I feel like that's coming in the next few years). I don't have a whole lot of dedicated powerlifting experience, though, so it'll take some homework and adjustment.

But yeah, anyway, I could talk about lifting and nutrition all day long, but it's nice outside so I'll save it for later.

85de10d4d338ddffa67880e22f50171e5d7717e3

I Got the vast majority of my compound lift technique and knowledge from Marc Rippetoe. He has books out but there is plenty of things out there for free if you look. His stuff is perfect for beginners.

For more advanced stuff I like the articles and videos on elitefts.

That's weird that this came along when it did. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that we needed a thread where we could bro out and talk about lifting. Nice.

I've been weight training since I was 20, and have put on a decent amount of mass over the years on what started as a pretty small frame. I used to follow pro bodybuilding during the Ronnie Coleman era and pretty much lived lived and breathed the lifestyle for several years.

Nowadays I still lift five times a week but do more maintenance than anything. I was thinking about going on one last focused training run starting this summer and trying to up my compound lifts as much as I can (before my shoulders and knees give out, that is--I feel like that's coming in the next few years). I don't have a whole lot of dedicated powerlifting experience, though, so it'll take some homework and adjustment.

But yeah, anyway, I could talk about lifting and nutrition all day long, but it's nice outside so I'll save it for later.

85de10d4d338ddffa67880e22f50171e5d7717e3

Ditto on Coleman. Him and Arnold were the ones that started the obsession for me a long time ago. Coleman's training videos are still second to none. He is the most intense dude to ever step foot in a gym.

Ditto on Coleman. Him and Arnold were the ones that started the obsession for me a long time ago. Coleman's training videos are still second to none. He is the most intense dude to ever step foot in a gym.

You could make a very convincing argument that Coleman is the best bodybuilder of all time. When he came into a show on point in his prime, there was no one anywhere in his same area code. Jay Cutler (the other Jay Cutler, that is) closed the gap in the later years and helped bring things back to earth as far as sheer mass vs. conditioning. When he unseated Coleman as Mr. Olympia it was the biggest moment the sport had seen since Arnold-Mania. Dude was bigger than life.

Ronnie-Coleman-Diet-Plan6.jpg

That said, I've always been a fan of Arnold and the old-school guys for their classic physiques. It's a much more obtainable body type for the Average Joe to pursue. My all-time favorite bodybuilder is Dave Draper. He seems like a good-hearted dude as well from what I've read of him.

draper-claudia-cardinale.jpg

You could make a very convincing argument that Coleman is the best bodybuilder of all time. When he came into a show on point in his prime, there was no one anywhere in his same area code. Jay Cutler (the other Jay Cutler, that is) closed the gap in the later years and helped bring things back to earth as far as sheer mass vs. conditioning. When he unseated Coleman as Mr. Olympia it was the biggest moment the sport had seen since Arnold-Mania. Dude was bigger than life.

Ronnie-Coleman-Diet-Plan6.jpg

I've usually argued that if Sergio Oliva had access to today's drugs and tech he'd have that title, but I agree to an extent. It's either him or Arnold if you're talking the whole package. I'm sure there will be people 100 years from now who are still harping on his GH belly, but he's one of two guys in history that transcended the sport.

To me, the most incredible thing about him is that he always trained as a powerlifter even when training for shows. Which is insane when you think about it, because once guys are 3-4 weeks out of a competition they tend to weaken a lot in the gym. I think it was just always a combination of his drive and hitting the genetic lottery. My old gym in Jersey used to keep a picture of his back right above the deadlift platform, that sh*t looked like the Grand Canyon.

That said, I've always been a fan of Arnold and the old-school guys for their classic physiques. It's a much more obtainable body type for the Average Joe to pursue. My all-time favorite bodybuilder is Dave Draper. He seems like a good-hearted dude as well from what I've read of him.

draper-claudia-cardinale.jpg

I agree. I've met a couple of pros throughout my life and I've tried telling people that these dudes are so ungodly big it's insane. Jay Cutler was at my old gym right before he hit it big, the dude had to turn 100% sideways to fit through every single doorway. I've always respected the genetics of these guys but that bodytype is unobtainable without a ton of drugs. Meanwhile you can look at older pros like Zane or Columbo and what they had is within a much more reasonable distance.

I hate weightlifting and would prefer to be playing basketball for my exercise, but I'm still trying. You know......for the b*tches.

Have you tried powerlifting over bodybuilding exercises? I get bored of high volume isolation work but can't get enough of compound/oly lifts. I throw in some strongman stuff for extra fun.

I've usually argued that if Sergio Oliva had access to today's drugs and tech he'd have that title, but I agree to an extent. It's either him or Arnold if you're talking the whole package. I'm sure there will be people 100 years from now who are still harping on his GH belly, but he's one of two guys in history that transcended the sport.

To me, the most incredible thing about him is that he always trained as a powerlifter even when training for shows. Which is insane when you think about it, because once guys are 3-4 weeks out of a competition they tend to weaken a lot in the gym. I think it was just always a combination of his drive and hitting the genetic lottery. My old gym in Jersey used to keep a picture of his back right above the deadlift platform, that sh*t looked like the Grand Canyon.

Yeah, Oliva definitely belongs in that conversation. He was coming into shows ripped at 250-plus, which was crazy back then especially since he wasn't even six feet tall. The guy has a very interesting life story. He supposedly got screwed over by Weider several times so that he wouldn't beat Arnold in contests. Not to mention the fact that his wife shot him five times in the stomach in 1986--and he lived another 26 years.

sergio%20oliva%20(12).jpg

Yeah, Oliva definitely belongs in that conversation. He was coming into shows ripped at 250-plus, which was crazy back then especially since he wasn't even six feet tall. The guy has a very interesting life story. He supposedly got screwed over by Weider several times so that he wouldn't beat Arnold in contests. Not to mention the fact that his wife shot him five times in the stomach in 1986--and he lived another 26 years.

sergio%20oliva%20(12).jpg

I still think Arnold trumps given that picture.

I'm a flabby tub of sh*t whose physique deteriorates exponentially with each passing year. I was considering cycling in cheese steak, but found I've always had more success cycling in pizza instead. I also find that if I keep a steady amount of pull pork in my diet, I'm able to achieve my most consistent results.

I'm a flabby tub of sh*t whose physique deteriorates exponentially with each passing year. I was considering cycling in cheese steak, but found I've always had more success cycling in pizza instead. I also find that if I keep a steady amount of pull pork in my diet, I'm able to achieve my most consistent results.

^^ awesome

You know who got bitches? Arnold. Models. Kennedys. Maids. You name it. So the moral of that story is shut up and lift.

Ha.  I have been lifting since before most of you were born.  I don't have much to show for it, but I lift. It's the flexibility stuff I can't get myself to stay on top of. 

I don't know what this means.

Instead of doing bullsh*t like curls and flies and weird shoulder presses that ruin your rotator cuff you go to the gym and pick up heavy sh*t and then you put it down.

You know who got bitches? Arnold. Models. Kennedys. Maids. You name it. So the moral of that story is shut up and lift.

I'm doing my best, captain.  You guys give me the tough love I need.  Between calling me a fag, categorically blasting my musical tastes, my lack of female attention, and inability to lift heavy sh**, I'm improving by the day.

Even got a girlfriend now, believe it or not.

I'm doing my best, captain. You guys give me the tough love I need. Between calling me a fag, categorically blasting my musical tastes, my lack of female attention, and inability to lift heavy sh**, I'm improving by the day.

Even got a girlfriend now, believe it or not.

Please don't tell me you guys listen to Muse albums together.

Archived