Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

Creatine in the mid-90s was when parents actually started to give a sh*t. That and the Ben Affleck HBO special, which is still the greatest thing ever filmed. People tend to forget that this still exists:

That is some awesome Reefer Madness, Java Junkie sh*t right there!  Everyone knows the good stuff has pictures of cows and horses and Cyrillic script.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Creatine in the mid-90s was when parents actually started to give a sh*t. That and the Ben Affleck HBO special, which is still the greatest thing ever filmed. People tend to forget that this still exists:

I remember that, but had no recollection it was affleck

From my experiances, Creatine, ECA stacks, Whey Protein and the first few flavors of Patrick Arnold test precursors (Androstendione) where the only supplements that ever actually worked

I remember that, but had no recollection it was affleck

From my experiances, Creatine, ECA stacks, Whey Protein and the first few flavors of Patrick Arnold test precursors (Androstendione) where the only supplements that ever actually worked

Creatine is still great. But the blends and soluble versions are what are best now. Nobody takes monohydrate anymore.

I'm on the fence about whey. I still use it but not as much as I used to. End of the day they're great for recovery but long term that sh*t simply is not good for you. Whole foods are the best way to go, problem is a shake after a workout is just so easy.

Creatine is still great. But the blends and soluble versions are what are best now. Nobody takes monohydrate anymore.

I'm on the fence about whey. I still use it but not as much as I used to. End of the day they're great for recovery but long term that sh*t simply is not good for you. Whole foods are the best way to go, problem is a shake after a workout is just so easy.

it's also a low fat whey (har!) to load up on protein..

But they def work, one of the reasons they are dangerous is cause they've been shown to increase igf-1 levels, which is great for cellular growth.. unfortunately that includes cancer..

I haven't taken whey in sometime, i take CLA + the below.. And load up on as much natural whole foods as i can find

pGNC1-7306633t300x300.jpg

The best fat burner is not eating more than you need and doing cardio twice a week.

that's about as useless and generic of a statement as an apple a day keeps the doctor away. 

For people who need to lose weight, that recommendation would have a 80-90% fail rate.  Why? Because people who are over weight usually have a major inability to control their portions.....and therefore eat more than they need. 

it's an old book, but it recommends a diet similiar to what you are doing.. weekdays lo carb.. friday depletion workout (every body part to completely empty muscles of glycogen stores ) the Friday night / sat carb load like mad.. theory being the body will divert it all to the muscles and you won't gain fat

interesting read for sure.. I did it for a few months but the depletion workout was just too time consuming ..

Yea I just read a preview on that on Amazon.....very very cool.  Going to order....thanks for the heads up on that

You can still get eca, you just need to make it yourself. Buy the over the counter form of Bronkaid Ephedrine HCL. if it's not HCL it won't work. You know it works because they card you and store your info. You get two packs every certain amount of days. Do a little research and find the right dose to mix with caffeine. Aspirin is optional you never really needed it

it's also a low fat whey (har!) to load up on protein..

But they def work, one of the reasons they are dangerous is cause they've been shown to increase igf-1 levels, which is great for cellular growth.. unfortunately that includes cancer..

I haven't taken whey in sometime, i take CLA + the below.. And load up on as much natural whole foods as i can find

pGNC1-7306633t300x300.jpg

Did you just imply that whey protein can cause cancer?

It can accelerate cancer growth, yes

The studies I've read seem to be abuse related. Like the guys who replace 2-3 meals a day with shakes. I don't think 4-5 a week is going to be too awful for you, dependent on your genes of course.

End of the day, they're called supplements for a reason. They're not meant to replace anything.

The studies I've read seem to be abuse related. Like the guys who replace 2-3 meals a day with shakes. I don't think 4-5 a week is going to be too awful for you, dependent on your genes of course.

End of the day, they're called supplements for a reason. They're not meant to replace anything.

like anythign else, moderation is usually fine

It can accelerate cancer growth, yes

That's incredible. So my physician was right when I was 15 and asked him that after all. He told me to eat a ham sandwich. Wish I could've told him he was right when he was alive.

I guess I should also chuck my BCAA powder.

Creatine sounds good though. Happy medium.

So creatine is ok? What is a good creatine these days?

edit... This cat says mono is still the best and explains why

www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/creatine-how-much-should-you-be-taking

Maybe. I probably misspoke on that one, I guess it depends on the person. I like ethel-ester or the blends. I don't like dealing with the solubility issues with mono. I like something that can just dissolve with my pre-workout. I've been using MusclePharm's for a while because I got a buy one-get two deal.

mono makes me gassy.. lol

Everything gives you cancer. The ham sandwich will give you cancer. Flying will give you cancer

heh.. yeah, i still take it, but someone brought up health risks earlier and thats the main one I know about

• 2 weeks later...

Building muscle and getting cut are usually two different things. If you want to get cut, which is what women want, do the two C's calisthenics and cardio -- everyday. Try to run 15-20 miles per week if you want to see your abs. It does not matter what you eat just don't eat too much sugar and don't eat past 8pm.

If you want size and muscle, I recommend what Bradley Cooper did for American Sniper. Work each muscle group 2-3 reps doing more than your max. (I.E - if your max bench is 220, try 2-3 reps at 240) Do not feel bad if you can't complete a full rep that's exactly what you want. Like Sly Stallone says it's all about resistance. Stay away from cardio.

Building muscle and getting cut are usually two different things. If you want to get cut, which is what women want, do the two C's calisthenics and cardio -- everyday. Try to run 15-20 miles per week if you want to see your abs. It does not matter what you eat just don't eat too much sugar and don't eat past 8pm.

If you want size and muscle, I recommend what Bradley Cooper did for American Sniper. Work each muscle group 2-3 reps doing more than your max. (I.E - if your max bench is 220, try 2-3 reps at 240) Do not feel bad if you can't complete a full rep that's exactly what you want. Like Sly Stallone says it's all about resistance. Stay away from cardio.

God damn it's not only football you have absolutely no idea about. Won't stop you from pretending to be an expert.

Actual workout question.  I am old.  Don't laugh.  You guys will be some day, if you are lucky.  You will find that when you age you will lose your ass.  What am I supposed to do to get it back?  Squatting heavy did not seem to make much difference.  Bulgarian split-squats and walking lunges did seem to make my butt sore, but I don't seem to get any mass.  My pants are falling off.  Any tips?  Should I be emphasizing the lower part of the squat?  Below parallel?  What?

Actual workout question.  I am old.  Don't laugh.  You guys will be some day, if you are lucky.  You will find that when you age you will lose your ass.  What am I supposed to do to get it back?  Squatting heavy did not seem to make much difference.  Bulgarian split-squats and walking lunges did seem to make my butt sore, but I don't seem to get any mass.  My pants are falling off.  Any tips?  Should I be emphasizing the lower part of the squat?  Below parallel?  What?

Squatting below parallel is huge but honestly it's a ton of knowing how to "turn on" your glutes when you squat. I'd do something like:

A. Back Squat 5x3 Below parallel

B1. Romanian Deadlift 4x8

B2. Box step up 4x8 each leg- dbell in each hand

Then if you feel saucey do another superset

Hip thrusts, pull-throughs, Glute Ham raises are also other money movements. 

Squatting below parallel is huge but honestly it's a ton of knowing how to "turn on" your glutes when you squat. I'd do something like:

A. Back Squat 5x3 Below parallel

B1. Romanian Deadlift 4x8

B2. Box step up 4x8 each leg- dbell in each hand

Then if you feel saucey do another superset

Hip thrusts, pull-throughs, Glute Ham raises are also other money movements. 

Thanks.  I mean to say welcome back in my other post.  Where the hell have you been?

My back has been a little screwed, so I probably am not going to go too crazy on the weight right now.  I always had a great ass, but I have been told it is disappearing.  One day I looked in the mirror and couldn't find it.  I will try to add your "other monty movements".  It honestly does seem to matter how hard I work it, it doesn't really grow. I am going to make  concerted effort over the next couple of months and see what happens.

Thanks.  I mean to say welcome back in my other post.  Where the hell have you been?

My back has been a little screwed, so I probably am not going to go too crazy on the weight right now.  I always had a great ass, but I have been told it is disappearing.  One day I looked in the mirror and couldn't find it.  I will try to add your "other monty movements".  It honestly does seem to matter how hard I work it, it doesn't really grow. I am going to make  concerted effort over the next couple of months and see what happens.

yea if you're back is feeling jacked go with reps > weight. End of day it's the tonnage you're moving and for growth hypertrophy is going to get you where you want to be. That means high rep workouts so when you select something target 8-10 reps for 3-4 sets.  

Pulled aside by my chiropractor neighbor the other day. New weight loss craze is Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Shot before a meal acts as an appetitite suppressant, and shot after helps to break down proteins. His point is older patients needing protein to build muscle to recover tend to have difficulty breaking proteins and that the weight loss has been dramatic. What do you hear? Are the pills as effective as downing shots of the stuff? 

Archived