Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

Pulled aside by my chiropractor neighbor the other day. New weight loss craze is Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Shot before a meal acts as an appetitite suppressant, and shot after helps to break down proteins. His point is older patients needing protein to build muscle to recover tend to have difficulty breaking proteins and that the weight loss has been dramatic. What do you hear? Are the pills as effective as downing shots of the stuff? 

This sounds really lame but I'm not huge on stuff like this. Most people claim weight loss and it's from sh*tting your brains out and water weight loss. 

Eating in moderation and eating clean is always a good idea. Stay away from packaged foods and drink water and coffee. You modify those things based on your goals. If you want to lose some weight you tweak diet to support that. By clean I mean meats, lean variety is better. Carbs are things like rice, quinoa, potato's, oatmeal, etc. 

Might apple cider help you lose weight? Sure- but ultimately you aren't going to lose weight if the base isn't fixed. 

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds really lame but I'm not huge on stuff like this. Most people claim weight loss and it's from sh*tting your brains out and water weight loss. 

Eating in moderation and eating clean is always a good idea. Stay away from packaged foods and drink water and coffee. You modify those things based on your goals. If you want to lose some weight you tweak diet to support that. By clean I mean meats, lean variety is better. Carbs are things like rice, quinoa, potato's, oatmeal, etc. 

Might apple cider help you lose weight? Sure- but ultimately you aren't going to lose weight if the base isn't fixed. 

Baked potatoe's have high glycemic load, opposite of what you want for weight loss, white rice is like eating a bowl of sugar. To lose weight basically avoid anything with a high glycemic load (sugar), there is a reason why the nation is fatter no then ever.. the low fat craze lead to more sugar in everything. If I remember correctly you are more of a hard gainer type, I am the opposite

Also, I've heard good things about the Apple Cidar Vinegar, if you get the all natural stuff (like Bragg's) started doing it because it's supposed to help with Gout, which I have hereditary wise. I drink it post meals, was bad at first but now I am used to it

Pulled aside by my chiropractor neighbor the other day. New weight loss craze is Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Shot before a meal acts as an appetitite suppressant, and shot after helps to break down proteins. His point is older patients needing protein to build muscle to recover tend to have difficulty breaking proteins and that the weight loss has been dramatic. What do you hear? Are the pills as effective as downing shots of the stuff? 

Shots, mix with water.. GL :)

I kind of disagree here. Yes, diet is always #1 on the depth chart, but genetics play such a large role in natural weight and body composition that a little help can go a long way. Apple cider vinegar in particular is very unique in this regard because of its effects on blood sugar and insulin levels. Granted its much more useful for diabetes than it is weight loss, but if you're born with the right code it's hella beneficial.

P.S. Good to see you dude.

Also, I've heard good things about the Apple Cidar Vinegar, if you get the all natural stuff (like Bragg's) started doing it because it's supposed to help with Gout, which I have hereditary wise. I drink it post meals, was bad at first but now I am used to it

It's a miracle for diabetes (scientifically proven, btw). All vinegars are but apple cider in particular is incredible. My mom added it in a few years back and the difference has been night and day.

I kind of disagree here. Yes, diet is always #1 on the depth chart, but genetics play such a large role in natural weight and body composition that a little help can go a long way. Apple cider vinegar in particular is very unique in this regard because of its effects on blood sugar and insulin levels. Granted its much more useful for diabetes than it is weight loss, but if you're born with the right code it's hella beneficial.

Funny, one of the big advantages touted for ACV is keeping the body in an alkaline state, I have a friend whose a bio chemist and said all of that stuff is nonsense, I almost bought a water ionizer too ;)

Who knows? I know it seemed to help with my recent gout flare up and that it did wonders for an old girlfriends cystic acne

It's a miracle for diabetes (scientifically proven, btw). All vinegars are but apple cider in particular is incredible. My mom added it in a few years back and the difference has been night and day.

The hippies say that you have to get the one that contains "Mother", which Bragg's has

Baked potatoe's have high glycemic load, opposite of what you want for weight loss, white rice is like eating a bowl of sugar. To lose weight basically avoid anything with a high glycemic load (sugar), there is a reason why the nation is fatter no then ever.. the low fat craze lead to more sugar in everything. If I remember correctly you are more of a hard gainer type, I am the opposite

150 soaking wet dis guy ^

Funny, one of the big advantages touted for ACV is keeping the body in an alkaline state, I have a friend whose a bio chemist and said all of that stuff is nonsense, I almost bought a water ionizer too ;)

Who knows? I know it seemed to help with my recent gout flare up and that it did wonders for an old girlfriends cystic acne

I use it for inflammation in my shoulder sometimes and that is one hell of a placebo effect if it's not legit.

You actually have the Gout?  I have a bad foot that we call the Gout, but is apparently a poorly healed lisfranc fracture.  Hurts like hell sometimes and looks like a baby rhino horn growing out of the top of my foot.  Someone in my family gave a telephone diagnosis of gout and we have been calling it that ever since.

You actually have the Gout?  I have a bad foot that we call the Gout, but is apparently a poorly healed lisfranc fracture.  Hurts like hell sometimes and looks like a baby rhino horn growing out of the top of my foot.  Someone in my family gave a telephone diagnosis of gout and we have been calling it that ever since.

I am also self diagnosed, but my maternal grandfather, maternal uncle and father all have it.. and i have symptoms and timing that fit..  Not fun..

I am also self diagnosed, but my maternal grandfather, maternal uncle and father all have it.. and i have symptoms and timing that fit..  Not fun..

I wish I were self diagnosed.  Not much you can do with this, though I have seen some out of control gout and that is also far from pretty.

True- I think that genetics come into play when you're looking at that 20% and below fat and what you may want. I'm not a naturally lean guy in terms of being SHREDDED unless I'm completely keto and doing cardio 2x a day 5x a week. It's too overboard. I stay clean and hover from 15-18% but have to eat clean and work hard still. I know dudes who do that and are sub 10%, that's genetics.

I had taken a look back at some of the old pages and cider falls right in line with "supplements", you gotta really establish a base before you toss in the cider. Essentially try and control the variables first prior to using a supplement.

Good to be back. 

No it's not like eating a bowl of sugar. If you're talking about diabetics I can understand but for a regular human that's just not true, but not point in belaboring that point. 

I'm actually not a hard gainer at all. I gain weight easily and quickly. I'm a huge proponent of timing carbohydrates based on activity. I'll have a high glycemic shake prior to my workouts, then have some potato or rice post- higher glycemic is good at that stage. If I'm not working out I'll just munch on lower glycemic stuff. 

I'm not sh*tting on the apple cider- I just tend to roll my eyes when someone says "weight loss" and gives a supplement or something else besides "eat less like an a$$hole". Other health things sure but that's like people saying "detox" is a great way to boost metabolism and lose weight.

No it's not like eating a bowl of sugar. If you're talking about diabetics I can understand but for a regular human that's just not true, but not point in belaboring that point. 

It's pretty close dude, your body converts it to glucose pretty readily, raising blood sugar, which causes your pancreas to produce more insulin to regulate, insulin of course stores the calories in fat or muscle cells..

yes, bigger problem for diabetics, but anyone who gains weight easily should refrain from white rice and potatoes, except as you said if you are carb timing, even then I'd stay away though (personally)

and interesting, i always thought you were a real skinny guy prior to lifting

It's pretty close dude, your body converts it to glucose pretty readily, raising blood sugar, which causes your pancreas to produce more insulin to regulate, insulin of course stores the calories in fat or muscle cells..

yes, bigger problem for diabetics, but anyone who gains weight easily should refrain from white rice and potatoes, except as you said if you are carb timing, even then I'd stay away though (personally)

Was fatty boom batty. 190# @ 5'6. In my time at JN I got all the way down to 143# and was ripped but weak. So then started eating and lifting like a man and I sit at 170-175 most of the year. 

Also depends on activity level. I wouldn't tell a desk jockey who works out 3x a week and does a few weights and cardio to eat rice if that makes sense. Different strokes different folks.

Would usually think my boy's advice was quackery. But his pedigree is pretty good. He is widely respected and published. In fact he does a lot of work on NFL players in the northeast.

Eating a bowl of rice is not remotely the same as eating a bowl of sugar. Stop it.

Am I exaggerating for effect, yes a bit. But white rice has an ANDI score that is the same as potato chips, it's low in fiber and has a high glycemic load, meaning the body easily breaks it down to glucose and it causes the same type of blood sugar reaction that eating sugar would. Again, talking about white (processed) rice, not brown rice

Am I exaggerating for effect, yes a bit. But white rice has an ANDI score that is the same as potato chips, it's low in fiber and has a high glycemic load, meaning the body easily breaks it down to glucose and it causes the same type of blood sugar reaction that eating sugar would. Again, talking about white (processed) rice, not brown rice

Sure, bleached rice is not ideal as far as complex carbs go. But a cup of white rice isn't going to wreck your day. A cup of table sugar poured down your gullet, however, and it's probably going to be a bad day for your butthole.

I've come to realize I am a fat lazy disgusting blobfish of a man in a world made and run by skinny little people.

It wan't a plesant realization.

Please feel free to stand next to me any time you need a boost too your self image.  Pretty sure main reason my wife married me.  I make EVERYTHING look dainty.  LOL

Sure, bleached rice is not ideal as far as complex carbs go. But a cup of white rice isn't going to wreck your day. A cup of table sugar poured down your gullet, however, and it's probably going to be a bad day for your butthole.

^^ see this guy gets it.

• 5 weeks later...

My Metabolism 100% shut down along with my thyroid a few years ago. The last 15 months, I have been in the gym 6 days a week, ate clean and put on a ton of muscle and still no fat loss. 

After a ton of blood work and medical tests, it turned out to be a medical thing preventing my metabolism from functioning. In the end, I had RNY Gastric Bypass last month and will be returning to the gym next week for cardio and weight training 2 weeks after that. To preserve my muscle that I built during rapid weight loss, Im taking BCAA's with L-Glutamine every day. 

At the beginning, I will be working on more of a cut routine, since Im not able to even take in 1,000 calories a day for at least another 9-12 months. 

My Metabolism 100% shut down along with my thyroid a few years ago. The last 15 months, I have been in the gym 6 days a week, ate clean and put on a ton of muscle and still no fat loss. 

After a ton of blood work and medical tests, it turned out to be a medical thing preventing my metabolism from functioning. In the end, I had RNY Gastric Bypass last month and will be returning to the gym next week for cardio and weight training 2 weeks after that. To preserve my muscle that I built during rapid weight loss, Im taking BCAA's with L-Glutamine every day. 

At the beginning, I will be working on more of a cut routine, since Im not able to even take in 1,000 calories a day for at least another 9-12 months. 

Wow, well on the plus side, they figured it out... still, that's rough. Good luck, you seem to have a pretty solid plan in place. 

Damn.  What did they do about the thyroid?  They put me on synthroid and I thought I was going to have a heart attack, so they switched me to cytomel.  I kept telling people I wasn't losing the weight the way I used to and I was always cold.  I was only a little off though. 

Damn.  What did they do about the thyroid?  They put me on synthroid and I thought I was going to have a heart attack, so they switched me to cytomel.  I kept telling people I wasn't losing the weight the way I used to and I was always cold.  I was only a little off though. 

The surgery changes how my body digests and metabolizes and eliminates the need for the medication. It also cured my acid reflux.

Just came across something called cold thermogenesis, essentially it's cold packs you where on your upper body which cools down your body and forces your metabolism to ramp up in order to warm you up. Logically it kinda makes sense, but you'd have to think the body would quickly attenuate and any benefit you were receiving would be gone. Going to do some more research, in the mean time, anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/

Just came across something called cold thermogenesis, essentially it's cold packs you where on your upper body which cools down your body and forces your metabolism to ramp up in order to warm you up. Logically it kinda makes sense, but you'd have to think the body would quickly attenuate and any benefit you were receiving would be gone. Going to do some more research, in the mean time, anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/

There's got to be an ice cream fat joke in this somewhere, no?

Archived