Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you lift or do cardio? 

Light cardio, 30m a day walking to from the train...i commute 90 min, out my door from 6:45 and home at the same time...i'm generally fried, maybe walk the dog at that point. Hoping that better nutrition helps up the energy here.

Light cardio, 30m a day walking to from the train...i commute 90 min, out my door from 6:45 and home at the same time...i'm generally fried, maybe walk the dog at that point. Hoping that better nutrition helps up the energy here.

Try and find a way to fit in a small weight lifting routine once a week, maybe on the weekend....you will be able to tolerate a few extra carbs and you will have a better looking physique as you shed the fat.  I stay around 2,000 calories +/- 300 a day on a ketogenic diet......mainly bc my appetite stays suppressed from the ketosis and i dont have much of an appetite to fit in more calories.  

If you dont have a gym membership, no biggy, just buy some dumbbells and i can give you a basic weight lifting routine for 1 day week that you can do in your living room for 30mins......unless you have the knowledge to make a routine yourself...

I understand the difficulty of working long hours too.....i go to the gym at 9pm at night and home by 10pm.....in bed by 1230am and up at 7am. Work basically from 9am - 6pm.... You gotta fit it in where ya can.....but either way, an exercise routine will only help you get results faster....the ketogenic diet will still be effective even without exercise so no worries if you cant fit in a routine just yet  

Perfect.... I will hit Walmart on the way back

I'm 6'3, 250 right now, I've got a 2300 Calorie plan...73/21/6

I think my Calories are a little low... thoughts?

sorry, not sure if i answered this.....yes, 2300 is plenty.  just do your best to stay under 25 carbs a day this first week so you can jumpstart into ketosis....you'll be fine eating between 1700-2700cals a day....as long as the carbs/sugars are under 25ish a day....thats the most important part

Edit: no tolerance to sugar in ketosis.....less than 5 grams in a whole day at max.....this 25 carbs is not carbs from sugar.  

Try and find a way to fit in a small weight lifting routine once a week, maybe on the weekend....you will be able to tolerate a few extra carbs and you will have a better looking physique as you shed the fat.  I stay around 2,000 calories +/- 300 a day on a ketogenic diet......mainly bc my appetite stays suppressed from the ketosis and i dont have much of an appetite to fit in more calories.  

If you dont have a gym membership, no biggy, just buy some dumbbells and i can give you a basic weight lifting routine for 1 day week that you can do in your living room for 30mins......unless you have the knowledge to make a routine yourself...

I understand the difficulty of working long hours too.....i go to the gym at 9pm at night and home by 10pm.....in bed by 1230am and up at 7am. Work basically from 9am - 6pm.... You gotta fit it in where ya can.....but either way, an exercise routine will only help you get results faster....the ketogenic diet will still be effective even without exercise so no worries if you cant fit in a routine just yet  

Thank you for taking the time to think this out with me...first of all, glad to see the calorie count is right. The weight routine, can I work in pushups/situps/pullups into that instead? We are moving in 60 days and there will be a facility in the neighborhood. I used to have that drive and then a: got married and somewhat lazy but also b: the nj-to ny commute blows. It's been 2 years on that kick and I still can't fully say I'm ok with it. Hopefulyl not much longer though.

Thank you for taking the time to think this out with me...first of all, glad to see the calorie count is right. The weight routine, can I work in pushups/situps/pullups into that instead? We are moving in 60 days and there will be a facility in the neighborhood. I used to have that drive and then a: got married and somewhat lazy but also b: the nj-to ny commute blows. It's been 2 years on that kick and I still can't fully say I'm ok with it. Hopefulyl not much longer though.

yea absolutely that is fine.....just google some basic military workouts which will include stuff like  pushups, jumping jacks, burpees, situps.....that is more than fine for a new workout program. 

My pleasure to help...its what I did for many years before joining the corporate world like your in.....keep me updated on your progress and let me know if your having any struggles....i usually have a solution ;) 

example: size0-army.mil-84285-2010-08-31-100802.j

yea absolutely that is fine.....just google some basic military workouts which will include stuff like  pushups, jumping jacks, burpees, situps.....that is more than fine for a new workout program. 

My pleasure to help...its what I did for many years before joining the corporate world like your in.....keep me updated on your progress and let me know if your having any struggles....i usually have a solution ;)

example: size0-army.mil-84285-2010-08-31-100802.j

Awesome thanks dude... stomach's finally growling now...been light headed/foggy/lethargic since around 12. That blog says that this is how I know it's starting to work...can't wait to eat my ground beef and cheese dinner 

Awesome thanks dude... stomach's finally growling now...been light headed/foggy/lethargic since around 12. That blog says that this is how I know it's starting to work...can't wait to eat my ground beef and cheese dinner 

yeah, all normal.  if your ever in a clutch and on the brink of caving....eat a couple table spoons of peanut butter.  usually helps for "i need a fckn carbohydrate now" times.  

Also keep cheese sticks and pepperoni sticks handy as well. That and raw almonds are good for the times you have to eat something before your bigger meals.....and if you want to get crazy at night and need to replicate munching on chips n dip in keto fashion.....buy a bag of pork rinds and dip them in cream cheese....im not big on them...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes

dont hesitates to throw some bacon in that ground beef n cheese diner too lol.

yeah, all normal.  if your ever in a clutch and on the brink of caving....eat a couple table spoons of peanut butter.  usually helps for "i need a fckn carbohydrate now" times.  

Also keep cheese sticks and pepperoni sticks handy as well. That and raw almonds are good for the times you have to eat something before your bigger meals.....and if you want to get crazy at night and need to replicate munching on chips n dip in keto fashion.....buy a bag of pork rinds and dip them in cream cheese....im not big on them...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes

dont hesitates to throw some bacon in that ground beef n cheese diner too lol.

Is this not the greatest, or what?

And yeah I talked to my bro today, he did this last summer, swears by the trader joes natty peanut butter. Also said a salad with almond shaving and italian dressing was his go -to

And yeah I talked to my bro today, he did this last summer, swears by the trader joes natty peanut butter. Also said a salad with almond shaving and italian dressing was his go -to

yes, its da sht!

your bro knows whats good then.  And trade joes natty PB is on point!! that and skippy's natural PB are my favorites by far. 

had a salad for lunch today. Chicken ceasar salad with extra dressing, hold the croutons and bread, and add chopped bacon........and a diet peach snapple...Boom

had a salad for lunch today. Chicken ceasar salad with extra dressing, hold the croutons and bread, and add chopped bacon........and a diet peach snapple...Boom

awesome...actually tasty...  This is the right way to live. Not shreadding nuts, fruit, hemp protein and metamucil in a blender and cursing the mcdonalds as you walk to work in the morning...lol

I cracked when I got home.... 12oz of 85/15 beef, 1.75 cup cheddar, taco spice packet

Dinner was 1660 cal, day was 3300...on the day i only had 17 carb..sugars were 5 on the dot

If I could've just stuck with my first helping and walked away from the second...Freaking delicious though

Maintained my ratio but that's got to be too much...

Final for the day:

270g Fat

17 Carb (5 sugar)

195 protein yikes...

I cracked when I got home.... 12oz of 85/15 beef, 1.75 cup cheddar, taco spice packet

Dinner was 1660 cal, day was 3300...on the day i only had 17 carb..sugars were 5 on the dot

If I could've just stuck with my first helping and walked away from the second...Freaking delicious though

Maintained my ratio but that's got to be too much...

Final for the day:

270g Fat

17 Carb (5 sugar)

195 protein yikes...

not bad for the first day.  If the sugar was 0 then it would be almost perfect lol. you just want to enter ketosis as soon as possible so you become a walking fat burning machine.  Once you are there its easier to deal with some extra carbs here n there....but getting there you have to be pretty dedicated for those first couple days.....i typically go as close to 5-10 carbs and 0 sugar a day, for 2 straight days, and I'll be in ketosis in 1.5-2 days.  Sometimes sooner if I exercise 

not bad for the first day. If the sugar was 0 then it would be almost perfect lol. you just want to enter ketosis as soon as possible so you become a walking fat burning machine. Once you are there its easier to deal with some extra carbs here n there....but getting there you have to be pretty dedicated for those first couple days.....i typically go as close to 5-10 carbs and 0 sugar a day, for 2 straight days, and I'll be in ketosis in 1.5-2 days. Sometimes sooner if I exercise

Nice... Appreciate the positivity. It will take a little adjusting, but I guess I didn't take a step back. I'll probably have to cheat tomorrow, friend is having us for dinner to house warm. Will do my best

Edit: dude, NO sugar? I mean my 4 eggs have 1.5g, how the hell do you do it

Nice... Appreciate the positivity. It will take a little adjusting, but I guess I didn't take a step back. I'll probably have to cheat tomorrow, friend is having us for dinner to house warm. Will do my best

Edit: dude, NO sugar? I mean my 4 eggs have 1.5g, how the hell do you do it

let me be more clear when i say no sugar.....i mean no refined sugar.....there is obviously certain naturally occurring sugars in foods that you cant avoid...i dont even count these sugars unless its from fruit.  The sugars in certain vegetables for example wont knock you out of ketosis....but sugar in watermelon will....does that make sense?

i think what you did today was probably 200% of a step forward ....you seem to know what you need to do...its all willpower and dedication once you grasp the concept.....some may argue cutting carbs is harder than quitting smoking so by no means is this easy to follow day in and day out.  But if your consistent with it, 90% of the time, you will get nothing but results.  

If you have to cheat, we all do, then just make sure your on track first thing the next day....worse thing you can do is let one cheat meal turn into 4 cheat days 

let me be more clear when i say no sugar.....i mean no refined sugar.....there is obviously certain naturally occurring sugars in foods that you cant avoid...i dont even count these sugars unless its from fruit. The sugars in certain vegetables for example wont knock you out of ketosis....but sugar in watermelon will....does that make sense?

i think what you did today was probably 200% of a step forward ....you seem to know what you need to do...its all willpower and dedication once you grasp the concept.....some may argue cutting carbs is harder than quitting smoking so by no means is this easy to follow day in and day out. But if your consistent with it, 90% of the time, you will get nothing but results.

If you have to cheat, we all do, then just make sure your on track first thing the next day....worse thing you can do is let one cheat meal turn into 4 cheat days

Ooh ok. I really wasn't sure about which sugars counted, but I get what you're saying. I have morning and lunch figured out.. I think the size of lunch was the problem yesterday. I'll be at 1640 calories by lunch and about 79/18/3 I'll try to see in advance what my buddy's wife is cooking for dinner lol

Btw morning coffee was two scoops butter and a quarter cup half and half...29/2.6/1.8g fat/carb/protein :D tasted surprisingly good actually

This isn't related to weights, but can I ask a alcohol/nutrition question?  
My question is about alcohol itself.  C2H60 for the chemists among us.  It is *Not* about all the bad carbs and syrups that we know are in beer and spirits.

1. Fats and Sugars are flammable because they contain chemical energy.  The body converts that energy to its own fat stores.
2. Alcohol is also flammable.  So it contains *lots* of chemical energy right?

Question:  Why isn't alcohol itself (C2H60) considered more fattening than pure vegetable oil?  Whenever I read about dieting and alcohol, nutritionists mention the carbs from beer and syrups in spirits, and not the chemical itself.   

-- Does the body not metabolize C2H60 to fat just like oils and sugars?

My question is about alcohol itself. C2H60 for the chemists among us. It is *Not* about all the bad carbs and syrups that we know are in beer and spirits.

1. Fats and Sugars are flammable because they contain chemical energy. The body converts that energy to its own fat stores.

2. Alcohol is also flammable. So it contains *lots* of chemical energy right?

Question: Why isn't alcohol itself (C2H60) considered more fattening than pure vegetable oil? Whenever I read about dieting and alcohol, nutritionists mention the carbs from beer and syrups in spirits, and not the chemical itself.

Alcohol 1: converts to sugar in the body and 2: increases the production of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone which attacks muscle and retains fat to the body around the major organs as a form of self preservation. It does this when you stress out, deplete yourself of carbohydrates, don't get enough sleep, and drink booze. The major organs obviously are situated around your chest and gut. This is why consistent drinking in combination with poor diet and exercise will create a beer gut and bitch t!ts.

Ooh ok. I really wasn't sure about which sugars counted, but I get what you're saying. I have morning and lunch figured out.. I think the size of lunch was the problem yesterday. I'll be at 1640 calories by lunch and about 79/18/3 I'll try to see in advance what my buddy's wife is cooking for dinner lol

Btw morning coffee was two scoops butter and a quarter cup half and half...29/2.6/1.8g fat/carb/protein :biggrin: tasted surprisingly good actually

I wouldnt even avoid a good time at your buddys tonight by having to sacrifice a lot of good food or anything.....  Just eat whats there and be on track again tomorrow morning.  If you had to avoid one things, let it be sweets, i.e cake, cookies,soda.  That will set you back further than any carbs from bread, potatoes, or pasta etc.

Im gonna have to try this fat coffee tomorrow morning.  Everyone says its good

I wouldnt even avoid a good time at your buddys tonight by having to sacrifice a lot of good food or anything.....  Just eat whats there and be on track again tomorrow morning.  If you had to avoid one things, let it be sweets, i.e cake, cookies,soda.  That will set you back further than any carbs from bread, potatoes, or pasta etc.

Im gonna have to try this fat coffee tomorrow morning.  Everyone says its good

Ok to clarify on the coffee....it's not like you're drinking a latte or something...but I think it's on par, a touch thicker, than your normal half and half only coffee. What I may do, I learned from my mother and it's an individual preference but It's good, is when you put the grinds in your coffee maker, you put .75 or so equal squirts of cinnamon from the little plastic container, to scoops of coffee. I could see that being a nice counterbalance to the extra butter. 

My question is about alcohol itself.  C2H60 for the chemists among us.  It is *Not* about all the bad carbs and syrups that we know are in beer and spirits.

1. Fats and Sugars are flammable because they contain chemical energy.  The body converts that energy to its own fat stores.
2. Alcohol is also flammable.  So it contains *lots* of chemical energy right?

Question:  Why isn't alcohol itself (C2H60) considered more fattening than pure vegetable oil?  Whenever I read about dieting and alcohol, nutritionists mention the carbs from beer and syrups in spirits, and not the chemical itself.   

Thats a good question actually but the body does not metabolize alcohol the same as sugars. See below

F2.large.jpg

1993980_vhrm0203-263-f3.png

Ok to clarify on the coffee....it's not like you're drinking a latte or something...but I think it's on par, a touch thicker, than your normal half and half only coffee. What I may do, I learned from my mother and it's an individual preference but It's good, is when you put the grinds in your coffee maker, you put .75 or so equal squirts of cinnamon from the little plastic container, to scoops of coffee. I could see that being a nice counterbalance to the extra butter. 

Awesome insight.  Now the real question is, how do I ask starbucks to make this for me lol

Awesome insight.  Now the real question is, how do I ask starbucks to make this for me lol

lol umm....ask them for soy ultra concentrate? They have cream there though...if you brought a butter packet from home, they also keep cinnamon on the table if i recall.

Alcohol 1: converts to sugar in the body and 2: increases the production of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone which attacks muscle and retains fat to the body around the major organs as a form of self preservation. It does this when you stress out, deplete yourself of carbohydrates, don't get enough sleep, and drink booze. The major organs obviously are situated around your chest and gut. This is why consistent drinking in combination with poor diet and exercise will create a beer gut and bitch t!ts.

here the link from those huge diagrams I just posted lol.  http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2013/06/why-fructose-is-not-like-alcohol.html

Sorry, meant to quote JerryK here

Reading all this talk on ketosis makes me want to try it again. It certainly does have its advantages over other diets.

I've toyed with ketosis before for a couple months at a time here and there and got pretty good results but I always found that it made my muscles look flat (which I would assume is from depleted glycogen), which was frustrating. I didn't have weekly carb-up days either, though, so that might be a potential fix to that issue. Maybe I'll try that at some point this year. I'm always toying with my diet/training to see what types of results I can get from different things. It's been interesting.

I'll throw this out there, too: When I was doing ketosis or low-carb stuff, one thing I would do when craving bread is make protein pancakes. It's basically just protein powder mixed up with water and cooked like pancake batter. It's surprisingly palatable, especially when you're desperate. There are a ton of different recipes out there if you're interested.

Reading all this talk on ketosis makes me want to try it again. It certainly does have its advantages over other diets.

I've toyed with ketosis before for a couple months at a time here and there and got pretty good results but I always found that it made my muscles look flat (which I would assume is from depleted glycogen), which was frustrating. I didn't have weekly carb-up days either, though, so that might be a potential fix to that issue. Maybe I'll try that at some point this year. I'm always toying with my diet/training to see what types of results I can get from different things. It's been interesting.

I'll throw this out there, too: When I was doing ketosis or low-carb stuff, one thing I would do when craving bread is make protein pancakes. It's basically just protein powder mixed up with water and cooked like pancake batter. It's surprisingly palatable, especially when you're desperate. There are a ton of different recipes out there if you're interested.

Were you lifting weights during those keto times too and still looking flat?

i was thinking that maybe he should up his carb intake if he's actively lifting....unless i misread, he was on keto without taking carbs. carbs def fill muscles out

i was thinking that maybe he should up his carb intake if he's actively lifting....unless i misread, he was on keto without taking carbs. carbs def fill muscles out

yea if you lift you can typically a lot an extra 25-35 carbs a day.  Usually a few hours before you lift.

yea if you lift you can typically a lot an extra 25-35 carbs a day.  Usually a few hours before you lift.

Feeling a lot better today... a lot... don't feel right now like eating a box of krispy kremes like I did at this time yesterday...still hungry and a little off upstairs but, def better. Oh and she's making fajitas tonight...this shouldn't be too painful

Yeah, I'm always lifting. I don't take more than a week or so off at any given time unless I'm injured or something. I'm kind of a bro about it lol.

I see what you're saying though; I don't remember offhand how many carbs I was taking in during a typical day (it wasn't super low or anything), but I'd imagine I could stand to up it on training days. There's probably a magic number for me somewhere that would fill me out a little better without kicking me out of ketosis. I'd just have to experiment with it and see what happens. And pee on a lot of sticks. That part's always fun.

Archived