Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

Realizing you're an Ape and that sh*t flinging was inevitable, I asked you to aim somewhere else. With a baby on the way, the wife feels that a heart attack is almost certainly in  my future with a high fat diet. I hope to prove her wrong soon with bloodwork.

Let your wife know that there is plenty of scientific evidence showing that a high sugar diet will lead you to hypertension and high triglycerides before a high fat diet.  

Ive never understood how someone can be consuming a coffee in the morn with 4 or 5 sugars plus say a bagel with cream cheese and not even looked as if they are doing much harm to themselves while the guy sitting across from him eating some eggs n bacon is viewed as a walking heart attack.   

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let your wife know that there is plenty of scientific evidence showing that a high sugar diet will lead you to hypertension and high triglycerides before a high fat diet.  

Ive never understood how someone can be consuming a coffee in the morn with 4 or 5 sugars plus say a bagel with cream cheese and not even looked as if they are doing much harm to themselves while the guy sitting across from him eating some eggs n bacon is viewed as a walking heart attack.   

Dude I thought the wife was gonna put up the dukes when I claimed anymore science, she's pissed now when I say the DR said its ok with a yearly checkup. Marriage in a nut shell. I totally agree, I used to be that coffee/bagel guy. With ice cream at lunch. LOL

why isn't a high fat diet healthy?

Bacon is a health food now?  Give me a break.  You want to argue olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado okay, but this dude is eating bacon and putting butter in his coffee.  You may lose weight, but I don't think you are going to convince anybody it is a healthy diet.

Bacon is a health food now?  Give me a break.  You want to argue olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado okay, but this dude is eating bacon and putting butter in his coffee.  You may lose weight, but I don't think you are going to convince anybody it is a healthy diet.

Never said bacon was a health food. Nor did I ever give the impression to eat a slab of bacon daily.

I also have never added butter to my coffee.  I dont add sugar either. But fwiw,  I'm sure adding butter to your coffee would more beneficial then 4 packets of sugar on a day to day basis..

I'm not here to convince anybody of anything.  I do what has worked for me for years and simply shared my experiences and opinion.

Never said bacon was a health food. Nor did I ever give the impression to eat a slab of bacon daily.

I also have never added butter to my coffee.  I dont add sugar either. But fwiw,  I'm sure adding butter to your coffee would more beneficial then 4 packets of sugar on a day to day basis..

I'm not here to convince anybody of anything.  I do what has worked for me for years and simply shared my experiences and opinion.

It's Lizard that has mentioned the bacon and the buttered coffee.  I'm sure he can lose weight on that diet, but it does not make it healthy.  Restricting fruits and vegetables does not seem sustainable long term.  I'm interested in your plans and how well they work,  but I'm going to eat what I like anyway.  

It's Lizard that has mentioned the bacon and the buttered coffee. I'm sure he can lose weight on that diet, but it does not make it healthy. Restricting fruits and vegetables does not seem sustainable long term. I'm interested in your plans and how well they work, but I'm going to eat what I like anyway.

There is a study by John's Hopkins that proves there is zero correlation between a diet of saturated fat and increased risk of heart disease. That doesn't mean i'm consuming it at every meal.

I had an avocado for lunch on Sunday. I have olive oil and either spinach or lettuce at almost every other meal. My breakfast is eggs fried in whole butter, avocado if available and if not then i have two strips of bacon, and a half cup of whole milk Greek yogurt. It's filling, energizing and a great way to start the day. I take cod liver oil and a Nature's Way Alive! multi daily. NW is the most bioavailable multi on the market.

Read this link that my brother so tastefully left on my Facebook Wall about butter coffee:

http://munchies.vice.com/articles/bulletproof-coffee-is-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/?utm_sourcevicefbus

The more I read about this the more I enjoy what I find. The fat is bad philosophy has been pushed so hard for thirty years that people don't know any better any more. Yet developing people are still using diets like this and don't have issues that we do such as diabetes and cancer.

It's Lizard that has mentioned the bacon and the buttered coffee.  I'm sure he can lose weight on that diet, but it does not make it healthy.  Restricting fruits and vegetables does not seem sustainable long term.  I'm interested in your plans and how well they work,  but I'm going to eat what I like anyway.  

I think your misunderstanding the diet then.  I eat berries daily and fit in vegetables where i can tolerate them.  That would be the case whether I was in keto or not, I simply dont like most vegetables. I also mostly follow CKD keto, which means I cycle periods of low carb, high protein, and high fat with periods of high carb, high protein, and low fat.  80-85% of the time its following low carb.   So in retrospect, I am really not depriving myself of much. 

I'm not saying you will die or that fat is bad.  I am saying bacon is generally pretty damn bad.  Any diet that causes people to say "OMG, you ate berries!!"  is not for me.

See comment above about berries.  

I think your misunderstanding the diet then. I eat berries daily and fit in vegetables where i can tolerate them. That would be the case whether I was in keto or not, I simply dont like most vegetables. I also mostly follow CKD keto, which means I cycle periods of low carb, high protein, and high fat with periods of high carb, high protein, and low fat. 80-85% of the time its following low carb. So in retrospect, I am really not depriving myself of much.

See comment above about berries.

I plan on eating berries soon. I want to lose a few more lbs first.

luv this

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/01/29/Complete-Guide-to-Fats-Oils-on-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet

Complete Guide to Fats & Oils on a Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet
29. January 2014|Martina|32

The main focus of the ketogenic diet is to get the macronutrient ratio right. Ideally, you should be eating 5-10% calories from carbs (net carbs), 15-30% of calories from protein and 65-75% calories from fat (or even more) in order to benefit from ketone bodies produced by your liver.

So, what is the ideal fat intake on the ketogenic diet? The amount of fat varies for all individuals and depends on your goal. In general, you won't need to precisely count fat intake or calories on a ketogenic diet, because eating food naturally low in carbs will keep you sated for longer.

Based on studies, proteins and fats have been shown to be the most sating nutrients, whilecarbohydrates the least sating. Fat provides a steady supply of energy with no insulin spikes. That's why, you won't experience any cravings or energy and mood swings.

However, in some cases counting calories and keeping track of your macros make help you break through a weight loss plateau. If you want to find out your ideal fat intake, have a look atKetoDiet Buddy, a free online keto calculator we have developed for our blog. All the recipes on my blog and in KetoDiet, KetoDiet Basic and my Kindle book include detailed nutrition data to help you track you food intake.

However, the macronutrient ratio is not the only aspect you should consider. When increasing your fat intake, it's critical to understand which fats are beneficial and which may damage your health. Simply put, the type and quality of fats matter. When deciding which oils and fats you should use, follow these rules:

1. Use Saturated Fats for Cooking

Saturated fats have been cursed and deemed to be really bad for our health. We've been brainwashed for the last 50 years that saturated fat and cholesterol are the major causes for coronary heart disease and obesity. The entire lipid hypothesis was based on bad science - the flawed and fraudulent research of Ancel Keys.

If you still believe that saturated fat and cholesterol are bad, check out my post here:The Obesity Epidemic, the Truth about Cholesterol and Saturated Fat.

Saturated fats are found in red meat, cream, butter, ghee, lard, tallow, eggs, coconut oil or palm oil (use organic from sustainable agriculture).

They are the most stable, have long shelf life and high smoke points. Use these oils for most of your cooking. In fact, most of your fat intake should come from saturated and monounsaturated fats.

2. Add MCTs to Your Diet

Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are saturated fats our body can digest very easily. (MCTs), which are mostly found in coconut oil, behave differently when ingested and are passed directly to the liver to be used as an immediate form of energy. They are also present in butter and palm oil in smaller quantities.

MCTs are used by athletes to improve and enhance performance and are great for fat loss. If you can tolerate pure MCT oil with no stomach discomfort, you can get it in a supplement form.

3. Include Heart-healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids

Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA, omega 9, oleic acid) are found in avocados, olives, beef and nuts (especially macadamias) and have been known to prevent heart disease. Studies show that consumption of monounsaturated fatty acids is associated with better serum lipid profiles.

Oils high in MUFA such as extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil and macadamia nut oil are best for cold use, for finishing meals or after cooking.

4. Use Unsaturated Fats But Don't Heat Them

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids are both essential and our body needs them. However, our diet is often loaded with PUFA and we eat too many of them.

They are called "poly", because they contain many double bonds which tend to react with oxygen when heated and form harmful compounds such as free radicals. This oxidative damage is a process that creates free radicals in the body and increases inflammation in our body and the risk heart disease and cancer. Chris Kresser suggeststhat total intake of PUFA should be no more than 4% of daily calories.

In general, polyunsaturated fats are unstable and not suitable for high-heat cooking. Organic, extra virgin olive oil, nut oils, sesame oil, flaxseed oil, avocado oil are best for cold use. While flaxseed oil should never be heated and should always be refrigerated, some oils (avocado, macadamia, olive) can be used for finishing your meals or light cooking.

5. Balance Your Omega 6 and Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Both omega-3 and omega-6 fats are essential, polyunsaturated fatty acids. However, studies show that Western diets are deficient in omega 3 fatty acids. In fact, the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is very unfavourable (15:1 – 17:1). Ideally, this ratio should be balanced at 1:1. The closer you get to this ratio, the better it will be for your health. Studies show that while elevated intake of omega 6 and deficient intake of omega 3 fatty acids are associated with cardiovascular disease, stroke, autoimmune disorders and other inflammatory diseases, reduced intake of omega 6 may protect against these diseases.

Because it's likely you are already getting enough omega-6, focus on increasing your intake of omega-3 foods, such as wild salmon, fermented cod liver oil, grass-fed meat, walnuts and macadamia nuts.

6. Use Animal Sources for Most of Your Omega 3 Intake

Omega 3 fatty acids are either short-chain (alpha-linolenic acid, ALA) mostly found in seeds and nuts or long-chain (eicosapentanaenoic acid , EPA and docosahexaenoic acid, DHA) found in fish and seafood. While EPA and DHA favourably affect omega 6 to 3 ratio, ALA first needs to be converted to EPA or DHA. Unfortunately, our body is extremely inefficient in converting ALA to EPA and DHA. That's why it's so important to get omega 3 fatty acids primarily from animal sources.

When using animal sources, always opt for grass-fed meat for maximum omega 3 fatty acids. In fact, grain-fed meat is low in omega 3 but loaded with omega 6 fatty acids.

7. Focus on Smoke Point, Oxidation Rate and Shelf Life

The higher the smoke point is, the better. In general, oils with high smoke points can be cooked at higher temperatures. Heating oil above its smoke point damages the oil and loads it with free radicals.

The slower the oxidation rate is, the better.Heating oil up to its smoke point will increase its oxidation rate. However, oils and fats can oxidize even on the shelf when exposed to oxygen, light, moisture and even temperatures below their smoke point. Also, metals like iron and copper can act as pro-oxidants.

All oils can go rancid on a shelf which often loads them with free radicals. In general, oils high in saturated fat last longer (12-24 months) than oils high in monounsaturated (6-12 months) or polyunsaturated fats (2-6 months).

8. Avoid All Unhealthy Oils

Processed vegetable oils, margarine, hydrogenated oils, partially hydrogenated oils and other trans fats, interestified fats - sunflower, safflower, cotonseed, canola, soybean, grapeseed and corn oil are all demaging to your health. Trans fatty acids and processed oils:

• are oxidized during high-heat processing which creates free radicals
  • they are often made from genetically modified seeds
  • are pro-inflammatory and bad for your gut health
  • consumption of trans fats increases risk of coronary heart disease
  • consumption of trans fats negatively affects cholesterol levels - reduces concentrations of HDL cholesterol ("good" cholesterol) and increases concentrations of low-density LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol)
  • associated with increased risk of cancer

Trans fats do exist in nature but also occur during the processing of polyunsaturated fatty acids in food production. Naturally occurring trans fats have been found to be beneficialcompared to artificial trans fats. Natural trans fats are found in dairy products and meat from grass-fed animals.

Artificial trans fats are referred to as "metabolic poison". Eliminate these from your diet by avoiding foods that contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. These types of trans fats are typically found in margarines, cookies, crackers or even French fries.

Fats in a Nutshell

Here in an overview of fats you can use as part of your healthy diet. You can download a print-friendly version here!

Note: Most of the data below is based on the USDA food database and several other scientific sources. A few of them had to be estimated to account for variations and therefore may not be 100% accurate.

Love the idea of coconut oil....really like how this lifestyle is starting to come together. Getting so far away from that "Cheesesteak without the roll" image and into natural fats and grass fed proteins. I'm gonna be a ******* viking in no time.

Health foods are for woman and men that wish they were woman.  Personally I tally my daily diet by # of slabs of bacon per hour. but hey thats just me. 

Health foods are for woman and men that wish they were woman.  Personally I tally my daily diet by # of slabs of bacon per hour. but hey thats just me. 

Well then my friend in that case....let me present you with a new way to eat your cereal everyday: 

Bacon+Bowl.jpg

good work...are you following keto day in day out still? Or have you added carb days?

Until Sunday, I've been under 22 carbs a day and feeling great. Whatever I get, is via something natural. My wife unintentionally threw in a carb day on Sunday.Literally the worst day I think could've been possible, considering my bloodwork being done at 10:45 Monday morning. I had asked her not to use sugar in her salad dressing, what she and I didn't realize was that the Italian seasonings packet was 8g of sugar. Within 5 minutes I got this indescribable feeling in my head..kind of cloudy, a little imbalanced and a little spacy. I basically knew immediately what the culprit was. Anyway, I immediately look up what this all means in the scheme of things...you can carb up for 100g or less on one day and your body will stay in keto and throw the glucose in your liver and release evenly until it's empty. So I read up on how to speed this up for tomorrow morning....answers I found most were HIIT Training, and fasting. Perfect. But I couldn't do HIIT because it would possibly skew my glucose in either direction. So I just fasted for 14 hours. We'll see how the bloodwork goes tomorrow. The fasting, btw, felt great. I wasn't hungry up until noon when I left the DR. I may work in some intermittent fasting to my life. For instance, this morning all I had was my bullet coffee; I cut out the yogurt.

Until Sunday, I've been under 22 carbs a day and feeling great. Whatever I get, is via something natural. My wife unintentionally threw in a carb day on Sunday.Literally the worst day I think could've been possible, considering my bloodwork being done at 10:45 Monday morning. I had asked her not to use sugar in her salad dressing, what she and I didn't realize was that the Italian seasonings packet was 8g of sugar. Within 5 minutes I got this indescribable feeling in my head..kind of cloudy, a little imbalanced and a little spacy. I basically knew immediately what the culprit was. Anyway, I immediately look up what this all means in the scheme of things...you can carb up for 100g or less on one day and your body will stay in keto and throw the glucose in your liver and release evenly until it's empty. So I read up on how to speed this up for tomorrow morning....answers I found most were HIIT Training, and fasting. Perfect. But I couldn't do HIIT because it would possibly skew my glucose in either direction. So I just fasted for 14 hours. We'll see how the bloodwork goes tomorrow. The fasting, btw, felt great. I wasn't hungry up until noon when I left the DR. I may work in some intermittent fasting to my life. For instance, this morning all I had was my bullet coffee; I cut out the yogurt.

Lol....I ate a bagel to start my carb up day on Sunday and fell asleep on the couch an hour later....my body just doesnt respond well to high carbs..... I tend to get very lethargic and lazy 

I mainly eat twice a day while on keto.  Noon and at 8pm.  I do that bc I am simply not hungry in between meals and at the same time my energy levels still remain at their peak throughout the day. It is somewhat of a mixture of a intermittent fasting and ketogenic diet all in one.  

After my carb up day on Sunday, I will fast from my last carb at 8pm Sunday night until my first meal at 7-8pm Monday night. I will also add a 2-3 mile interval run on Monday to help jump start me into ketosis. Usually by Tuesday afternoon I am in ketosis, per the ketostix.

When it comes to cardio, nothing seems to get me to ketosis quicker than running.....and I hate running so I only do it for the purpose of getting me into ketosis.  For the remainder of the week I mainly just lift weights.  

Lol....I ate a bagel to start my carb up day on Sunday and fell asleep on the couch an hour later....my body just doesnt respond well to high carbs..... I tend to get very lethargic and lazy 

I mainly eat twice a day while on keto.  Noon and at 8pm.  I do that bc I am simply not hungry in between meals and at the same time my energy levels still remain at their peak throughout the day. It is somewhat of a mixture of a intermittent fasting and ketogenic diet all in one.  

After my carb up day on Sunday, I will fast from my last carb at 8pm Sunday night until my first meal at 7-8pm Monday night. I will also add a 2-3 mile interval run on Monday to help jump start me into ketosis. Usually by Tuesday afternoon I am in ketosis, per the ketostix.

When it comes to cardio, nothing seems to get me to ketosis quicker than running.....and I hate running so I only do it for the purpose of getting me into ketosis.  For the remainder of the week I mainly just lift weights.  

Bloodwork came back.

LDL is too high.

Triglicerides borderline high.

HDL is ok.

Doc wants me to keep the ketosis up for a couple months and I'll re-test in late August.

Wonder if my wife's sabotage skewed my numbers. Waiting for Doc to return my call.

Good excuse though to tell Preg Wife that I need to wakeup earlier to jog in the morning. This was the excuse I needed.

Bloodwork has problems?  What could be at fault?  Four weeks of diet?  Nah, it must be the 8 grams of sugar in the wife's salad dressing.  Have you been exercising?  I know you were worried about the HIIT skewing your results, but have you been exercising while you have been doing this?  If I remember correctly, you had a bunch of time restrictions which were keeping you from exercise.

Bloodwork has problems?  What could be at fault?  Four weeks of diet?  Nah, it must be the 8 grams of sugar in the wife's salad dressing.  Have you been exercising?  I know you were worried about the HIIT skewing your results, but have you been exercising while you have been doing this?  If I remember correctly, you had a bunch of time restrictions which were keeping you from exercise.

Not outright exercise, but am walking around a lot. 

Going to start jogging in the morning.

I know you didn't suggest this, that said, there's a very valid point to Dom's post. The partial truth and partial bastardization of the Atkins philosophy and diet has people into thinking that a diet of red meat, bacon and dairy fat is "good" because it melts pounds off of them.

I said earlier in the thread, this is what my wife swears gave her father colon cancer. 

I know you didn't suggest this, that said, there's a very valid point to Dom's post. The partial truth and partial bastardization of the Atkins philosophy and diet has people into thinking that a diet of red meat, bacon and dairy fat is "good" because it melts pounds off of them.

I said earlier in the thread, this is what my wife swears gave her father colon cancer. 

I know you did.

But what Stu is saying is also legitimate. Saturated fats are one of the most efficient building blocks for HDL that exists. I can't speak to red meat as a whole. But a lot of research is backing up the above. I'll have bloodwork again in late August and will report back.

Good point and I would never suggest to anybody to eat red meat and bacon daily.  I manage to go 6 days a week, eating 25-40 carbs a day, and only consume red meat once per week on average.  When it comes to bacon, maybe I add some chopped bacon to a salad at most here n there. Still a far cry from the guy who orders a bacon egg and cheese sandwich everyday (and still receives little criticism).  Im a big fan of chicken, eggs, nuts, seeds, and dairy and build my diet around that and berries, broccoli, squash, and lettuce.  

The problem with atkins, or low carb dieting is the average person assumes its now time to gorge on bacon, steaks, etc every single meal of the day......when i speak of doing a keto diet or eliminating carbs, I speak of eliminating breads, pasta, high sugar fruits/drinks, and any processed carb basically.  Never do i suggest someone should replace these carbs with red meat and bacon.  Thats just the mentality of the average guy who starts low carbing and didn't educate themselves first.  Or the mentality of someone who is just looking for a quick and easy way to lose weight and still wants to eat like sht so they eat steaks wrapped with bacon for dinner.  I'm sure that approach will lose someone weight but its by far a long term solution IMO.

Once again, this is my lifestyle, not a diet.  When I started eating this way many years ago....it was hard for me to ignore how much more efficient my body ran on a day to day basis with the absence of carbs to not make it my lifestyle.  You can easily have a healthy diet low in carbs without the need of red meat and/or pork fat at every sitting.

Good point and I would never suggest to anybody to eat red meat and bacon daily.  I manage to go 6 days a week, eating 25-40 carbs a day, and only consume red meat once per week on average.  When it comes to bacon, maybe I add some chopped bacon to a salad at most here n there. Still a far cry from the guy who orders a bacon egg and cheese sandwich everyday (and still receives little criticism).  Im a big fan of chicken, eggs, nuts, seeds, and dairy and build my diet around that and berries, broccoli, squash, and lettuce.  

The problem with atkins, or low carb dieting is the average person assumes its now time to gorge on bacon, steaks, etc every single meal of the day......when i speak of doing a keto diet or eliminating carbs, I speak of eliminating breads, pasta, high sugar fruits/drinks, and any processed carb basically.  Never do i suggest someone should replace these carbs with red meat and bacon.  Thats just the mentality of the average guy who starts low carbing and didn't educate themselves first.  Or the mentality of someone who is just looking for a quick and easy way to lose weight and still wants to eat like sht so they eat steaks wrapped with bacon for dinner.  I'm sure that approach will lose someone weight but its by far a long term solution IMO.

Once again, this is my lifestyle, not a diet.  When I started eating this way many years ago....it was hard for me to ignore how much more efficient my body ran on a day to day basis with the absence of carbs to not make it my lifestyle.  You can easily have a healthy diet low in carbs without the need of red meat and/or pork fat at every sitting.

Good post. Back to the drawing board for me, somewhat.

Archived