Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why back to the drawing board?

I'm on the fence as to whether saturated fats via meat are bad or not. I've read conflicting literature, but I now know my cholesterol sucks, but also that keto over the long term will lower it. I'm going to try and get more veggie base fat where possible

I'm on the fence as to whether saturated fats via meat are bad or not. I've read conflicting literature, but I now know my cholesterol sucks, but also that keto over the long term will lower it. I'm going to try and get more veggie base fat where possible

I think thats a good idea.  And I agree with the conflicting literature.  

I think thats a good idea. And I agree with the conflicting literature.

Two birds with one stone today. Walked for 35 minutes before work with her pooch. I would've preferred a jog but I couldn't look her in the face and not bring her along. If I do this daily, I think I've got something that'll make a difference. Also I don't think I had any meaningful meat fat yesterday. All veggie. Well except one tablespoon of butter, and just three fried eggs.

Two birds with one stone today. Walked for 35 minutes before work with her pooch. I would've preferred a jog but I couldn't look her in the face and not bring her along. If I do this daily, I think I've got something that'll make a difference. Also I don't think I had any meaningful meat fat yesterday. All veggie. Well except one tablespoon of butter, and just three fried eggs.

yeah thats awesome....there is plenty of ways to get your days fat intake without the need of animal fat everyday....almonds, nuts, dairy, seeds, avocados, eggs, oils, etc.

Like integrity mentioned, I am sure years and years of heavy red meat consumption probably led to his father in law getting colon cancer.  High fat intake itself is OK....but you have to choose your fats wisely....and luckily you have many sources of fat to choose from outside of red meat and processed meats.  

This is a good article by Harvard School of Public Health.  Really gives a good breakdown of fats, the different types of fats, and how they may affect your body.  They even have one study where they followed 350K people for 23 years and analyzed there fat intake in relationship to heart disease---the result---no evidence dietary saturated fats are related to coronary heart disease, stroke, or cardiovascular disease. 

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

yeah thats awesome....there is plenty of ways to get your days fat intake without the need of animal fat everyday....almonds, nuts, dairy, seeds, avocados, eggs, oils, etc.

Like integrity mentioned, I am sure years and years of heavy red meat consumption probably led to his father in law getting colon cancer.  High fat intake itself is OK....but you have to choose your fats wisely....and luckily you have many sources of fat to choose from outside of red meat and processed meats.  

This is a good article by Harvard School of Public Health.  Really gives a good breakdown of fats, the different types of fats, and how they may affect your body.  They even have one study where they followed 350K people for 23 years and analyzed there fat intake in relationship to heart disease---the result---no evidence dietary saturated fats are related to coronary heart disease, stroke, or cardiovascular disease. 

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Nice. That's what I like to hear. I was looking for a way to get fats without carbs...Nuts may be that answer. Or guzzle straight olive oil....no.

Nice. That's what I like to hear. I was looking for a way to get fats without carbs...Nuts may be that answer. Or guzzle straight olive oil....no.

I shipped some back with me that I have a tablespoon from pretty often.  It's that good.  Usually I just sprinkle it over some pumpkin seeds though.

I shipped some back with me that I have a tablespoon from pretty often.  It's that good.  Usually I just sprinkle it over some pumpkin seeds though.

I actually do like Colavita a lot. I'll admit, sometimes if I'm missing that one piece in the day, I'll do a tablespoon.

BTW you should read his link above. It's pretty crazy.

"Although fat intake doesn’t seem to increase colon cancer risk, there is convincing evidence that high consumption of red meat (beef, pork, and lamb) and processed meat (hot dogs, bacon, and deli meats) does increase colon cancer risk. (52) It’s best to limit red meat consumption to no more than twice a week, and to avoid processed meats."

APE

-20 lbs boys. Running 2-3 miles a day.... No carbs intentionally

awesome news dude.. I wish I could run daily, I have on going shin splint issues which limits me to 1-2 runs a week max....i usually do stairs for my cardio...you lifting weights too?

awesome news dude.. I wish I could run daily, I have on going shin splint issues which limits me to 1-2 runs a week max....i usually do stairs for my cardio...you lifting weights too?

Thanks man. Nah no weights yet, don't have the time... In a month I'll be in my new house so probably then.

There are a million different things that can cause/cure shin splints, but try this... stretch your calves, like a toe raise.  I don't know what you call it.  It seems like it is just the back of you calf, but it helps me when a I had a shin splint issue. 

You probably know what I mean, but...

1. Step Drop Stretch

Find a street curb or stairway step. Place the ball of your foot on the end of the ledge. Slowly drop your heal down while keeping the ball of your foot on the step. Be sure and support yourself if you can or have someone to grab onto. Once you get the hang of it you should be able to do this stretch without any assistance. As you bring your heel down, be sure not to force it further than it wants to go. Your goal is to be able to have your heel touch the ground, but this may take time.

There are a million different things that can cause/cure shin splints, but try this... stretch your calves, like a toe raise.  I don't know what you call it.  It seems like it is just the back of you calf, but it helps me when a I had a shin splint issue. 

You probably know what I mean, but...

Appreciate the tip....I tried a stretch routine from the doctor once, I did it religiously for a few weeks but it had minimal effect.....he then suggested i go to a podiatrist and get fitted for orthotics....but they also did minimal

i'll give this specific stretch a try though since your living proof it works lol....how many times a day did you do it?

Appreciate the tip....I tried a stretch routine from the doctor once, I did it religiously for a few weeks but it had minimal effect.....he then suggested i go to a podiatrist and get fitted for orthotics....but they also did minimal

i'll give this specific stretch a try though since your living proof it works lol....how many times a day did you do it?

It's a common stretch, but it didn't make sense to me that it would help shin splints since it seems to target the rear of the calf.  I used to play a lot of basketball.  More than 3 hours a day and I started having a shin splint issue.  I would do it before I played and every chance I got and it seemed to work.  I'm not sure what caused my shin splints.  I only had the problem off and on for 6 months.  Good luck. 

• 9 months later...

I stretch cavs on every run. Have to. Forgot once last week and I'll never do it again. Just take your toes, stretch them on a step or wall and keep both of your legs straight. 45-60, seconds each.

Where are the updates, fatties?  I am just about to begin my assault on the world.  I am way fatter than usual at this point and have to cut.  My weight isn't so bad - maybe 190-194, but I am not carrying as much muscle.  Traditionally, I was an endurance guy, so I have been working on weights and sprints.  I have been doing that so long that endurance is becoming my weakness.  I used to play a sh*tload of basketball, but stopped when I moved down here and now that I am not playing football anymore I am just getting soft.  It is much harder to do this sh*t at 48 than 28.  Just surviving practice was an awesome workout.  Maybe I will coach so I can run with the kids some more.

I stretch cavs on every run. Have to. Forgot once last week and I'll never do it again. Just take your toes, stretch them on a step or wall and keep both of your legs straight. 45-60, seconds each.

Better to stretch on your own not right before exercise. That actually causes a lot of injury

Better to stretch on your own not right before exercise. That actually causes a lot of injury

Yeah.  I don't think anybody was advocating stretching cold.  That is one of the best things about football practice.  You get your warm up of 4 laps around the field (a mile give or take), then you stretch.  Then the form running and sprints for HIIT.  Position drills and team practice are just bonus.  Lift on your own and you are good to go.  Take that out of your routine and you can start getting puffy.  Don't ask me how I know.

Yeah. I don't think anybody was advocating stretching cold. That is one of the best things about football practice. You get your warm up of 4 laps around the field (a mile give or take), then you stretch. Then the form running and sprints for HIIT. Position drills and team practice are just bonus. Lift on your own and you are good to go. Take that out of your routine and you can start getting puffy. Don't ask me how I know.

The sh*t we pulled in high school practice I'm amazed no one died. 2 a days in 100 degree weather with pads on with NO WATER.

The water break was 10 minutes 50 dudes line up to get a water fountain in a hall way. We wouldn't just practice football we would run snake drills, bear crawls, spider-mans across the field 100 yards each way with helmet and pads and no water. In the Army we would do crazy stuff too but we always had water.

The sh*t we pulled in high school practice I'm amazed no one died. 2 a days in 100 degree weather with pads on with NO WATER.

The water break was 10 minutes 50 dudes line up to get a water fountain in a hall way. We wouldn't just practice football we would run snake drills, bear crawls, spider-mans across the field 100 yards each way with helmet and pads and no water. In the Army we would do crazy stuff too but we always had water.

They let you use the fountain?  Pussy! 

Somebody did die.  They went from not letting anybody drink to forcing everybody to stay hydrated.  I thought it happened sometime in the late 1980s.  With all of the breaks in the action and substitutions, you can play football without being in such awesome shape, but you can't survive the practices. 

Where are the updates, fatties?  I am just about to begin my assault on the world.  I am way fatter than usual at this point and have to cut.  My weight isn't so bad - maybe 190-194, but I am not carrying as much muscle.  Traditionally, I was an endurance guy, so I have been working on weights and sprints.  I have been doing that so long that endurance is becoming my weakness.  I used to play a sh*tload of basketball, but stopped when I moved down here and now that I am not playing football anymore I am just getting soft.  It is much harder to do this sh*t at 48 than 28.  Just surviving practice was an awesome workout.  Maybe I will coach so I can run with the kids some more.

Im on a 100 carb a day program currently.  Just trying to lean up for the warmer months. This is just M-Sat.....Sunday is an all out carb binge fest. Will cut down to 50-60 carbs/day come May 1st and will follow that routine till September. I find myself working out the least during summer months so i try to keep diet routine as strict as possible,    

Im right there with you on weights and sprints......Ive been doin 2 days cardio and 3 days weights. The cardio days are sprinting on and off for 2 miles. Trying to build it to 3-4 miles by end of summer.  I find sprinting to deliver results faster than long distance jogging.

I can still remember almost passing out from doing suicides at the end of practice to the 50 yard line.....5 yards at a clip.......one person stops running hard everyone had to start over from the goaline.  And same thing with the water, if you even asked the coach for it you were called a p*ssy.  I cant imagine that is HS football today still.

They let you use the fountain?  Pussy! 

Somebody did die.  They went from not letting anybody drink to forcing everybody to stay hydrated.  I thought it happened sometime in the late 1980s.  With all of the breaks in the action and substitutions, you can play football without being in such awesome shape, but you can't survive the practices. 

Mid-90s when ephedrine was all the rage. Kids were taking them to get through two-a-days and then dying from dehydration when they sweat out a few gallons on that stuff. Then Korey Stringer died ('01 I think) and that shined the necessary light on things. This has basically become the cycle for all the good OTC supplements. Something good gets put out, some idiot misuses or abuses it, hurts himself, the FDA bans it, and they reformulate it. It's the dumbest sh*t and all they do is waste everyone's time because whatever they ban gets replaced with something lateral anyways. They should be putting that time and money into education, particularly with high schoolers, so they know how to use smart and safe.

Im on a 100 carb a day program currently.  Just trying to lean up for the warmer months. This is just M-Sat.....Sunday is an all out carb binge fest. Will cut down to 50-60 carbs/day come May 1st and will follow that routine till September. I find myself working out the least during summer months so i try to keep diet routine as strict as possible,    

Im right there with you on weights and sprints......Ive been doin 2 days cardio and 3 days weights. The cardio days are sprinting on and off for 2 miles. Trying to build it to 3-4 miles by end of summer.  I find sprinting to deliver results faster than long distance jogging.

I cycle  low carb and have been getting good results switching it up.. Normally eat meats/nuts/veggies/fruits.. lower carb but mainly avoid processed foods, then every month or so I do a 2 weeks super low carb, high fat diet and it's helped me get through plateau's

Mid-90s when ephedrine was all the rage. Kids were taking them to get through two-a-days and then dying from dehydration when they sweat out a few gallons on that stuff. Then Korey Stringer died ('01 I think) and that shined the necessary light on things. This has basically become the cycle for all the good OTC supplements. Something good gets put out, some idiot misuses or abuses it, hurts himself, the FDA bans it, and they reformulate it. It's the dumbest sh*t and all they do is waste everyone's time because whatever they ban gets replaced with something lateral anyways. They should be putting that time and money into education, particularly with high schoolers, so they know how to use smart and safe.

eca stack is still the best fat burner i've tried

I lost 35 lb and my cholesterol went down 30 points. My ratios had never been better. But we were expecting and my pregnant wife was not enjoying the inverse relationship between our physiques coupled with an itlalian mother in law. Despite all that even after 3 months removed from keto my cholesterol was still the bomb. I couldn't recommend this more. Your breath ******* reeks though to hell for weeks.

Yeah.  A high school kid died before that.  I am old and I graduated early and some kid died in the metro area, I think it was when I was a senior.  They started pumping water into us like we were on fire.  I remember feeling sick from all the water. 

I cycle  low carb and have been getting good results switching it up.. Normally eat meats/nuts/veggies/fruits.. lower carb but mainly avoid processed foods, then every month or so I do a 2 weeks super low carb, high fat diet and it's helped me get through plateau's

Yea thats a spot on diet routine right there.  I also do the opposite to get off plateaus by going about 10 days of very high carb and lower fat.....seems to help jump start things again.  As long as I pick the right carbs for those 10 days, no additional weight will be put on.

eca stack is still the best fat burner i've tried

Ive never been so ripped in my life from doing those ECA stacks back in the day.....sht was incredible.

Yea thats a spot on diet routine right there. I also do the opposite to get off plateaus by going about 10 days of very high carb and lower fat.....seems to help jump start things again. As long as I pick the right carbs for those 10 days, no additional weight will be put on.

did you ever read body opus?

No I havent, should i?

it's an old book, but it recommends a diet similiar to what you are doing.. weekdays lo carb.. friday depletion workout (every body part to completely empty muscles of glycogen stores ) the Friday night / sat carb load like mad.. theory being the body will divert it all to the muscles and you won't gain fat

interesting read for sure.. I did it for a few months but the depletion workout was just too time consuming ..

Yeah.  A high school kid died before that.  I am old and I graduated early and some kid died in the metro area, I think it was when I was a senior.  They started pumping water into us like we were on fire.  I remember feeling sick from all the water. 

Creatine in the mid-90s was when parents actually started to give a sh*t. That and the Ben Affleck HBO special, which is still the greatest thing ever filmed. People tend to forget that this still exists:

Then Ripped Fuel, then Xenadrine, then Hydroxycut...etc. A book about the ebbs and flows of fat burners in the U.S. would probably be an interesting read.

All of that was ECA, just herbal roots, Ma Haung  = ephedra, Guarna Extract is caffience and white willow Bark = aspirin. I did Ripped Fuel and Xenadrine before realizing how much cheaper you can get generic ECA>.

If memory serves, I think the first post ephedra curveball was norephridine, which is a close chemical cousion with many of the same reactions in body

Archived