Matt Simms vs Tajh Boyd for the # 3

Maxman

Tajh Boyd, Matt SimmsThe NY Jets have 12 new players, courtesy of the NFL Draft.  With their 4th selection in the 6th round they picked Tajh Boyd (QB) from Clemson.  Rex Ryan’s son is a freshman at Clemson and spoke highly of Tajh. Rex Ryan said, “I just think we probably had more of an insight to probably his character with my son being there. My son had a thing about his leadership, Tajh’s leadership. He said he was the leader of that program as far as a player’s concerned. He said if Tajh would have called a meeting at 2:00 AM, the entire football team would have been there.”

To survive as a QB in New York, you need to be a strong leader.  You also need to be a good QB, so the question is what else does Tajh Boyd bring to the table?  Terry Bradway gave this assessment of Boyd, “(He had a) productive college career, really productive. And he really throws the ball well. We were there last spring and they were having spring practice and I was really impressed with how accurate he was throwing the deep ball, more than a lot of quarterbacks I’ve seen. So that was good. His interception-to-touchdown ratio is good.”

Boyd will go into camp with a lot to prove, but the Jets are happy that he was still available in the 6th round. CBS Sports talks about how far Boyd dropped in the draft rankings.

The QB was a likely first-rounder and one of the most talked-to players in college football with the Tigers, until falling from the spotlight with his team’s mid-October 51-14 drubbing by Florida State.  Despite the drop off, Boyd thinks he’ll be selected by the third round. Most projections include him with a group of second-tier passers, many who’ll be available Saturday when teams finish with rounds four through seven

The good news for the Jets is that Boyd will battle Matt Simms for the 3rd QB position.  This competition will have no impact, at least initially, on the starting job.  Last year Matt Simms upset Greg McElroy for the 3rd spot.  Can Matt Simms do it again this year, against a tougher competitor in Boyd?  Simms has the advantage early because he knows the system and has a little NFL game experience.  Boyd will have to show that he can take a snap under center, since he played out of the shotgun extensively at Clemson.

The upside with Boyd seems much higher, so our bet is he will win the 3rd QB job.  Then the Jets have a year to evaluate him and see what his future holds.  Michael Vick is only under contract for one-year.  So the winner of the battle between Simms and Boyd will have a shot to be in the league for a long time.

Tell us who you think will win, we want to hear from you in our

the beauty of taking boyd so late is if simms beats him out, he can be stashed on PS or just cut. 

But lets be honest, this was rex's pick and he will have to be just awful not to get a year to develop, and QB's get stolen off of PS's if they are any good so boyd will win hands down

the jets will cut simms as soon as they can so he can catch on somewhere else.  I hope they feature him VS giants in week 3 of PS to get him some more film

I think Rex will slightly favor Boyd because of his son, but Simms will play himself onto the roster.  Don't forget, there was some talk about actually starting the season with Simms #1 last year before they gave it to Geno.

Boyd is the perfect Scout Team QB (can run Scout Team and the upcoming weeks opponents Offense whether its a Pro-set/Spread/Hybrid to get our Defense properly prepped) and a clone of Geno/Vick. He is a lock to stay

Boyd is the perfect Scout Team QB (can run Scout Team and the upcoming weeks opponents Offense whether its a Pro-set/Spread/Hybrid to get our Defense properly prepped) and a clone of Geno/Vick. He is a lock to stay

The only thing those 3 have in common is their skin color. I wish Geno had Vicks mobility.

thats not true, none of them are pure ProSet QBs like Simms is.

Which is why I expect Simms makes the roster, Boyd goes to the PS.

If they cuts Simms, he will be scooped up in about 30 seconds, probably by the Jints. Arms like that are uncommon.

And all our QBs are black...not saying there's anything wrong with it, just interesting.

Well , your honesty is refreshing.  I get so sick of hearing the old standby... " He's  an Athletic" or "Running"QB!    Thanks for stating the obvious.  that said, I really  like Matt Simms!!!  He's young, great arm, confident,and got an "IT" factor. We'd be crazyy to let him go!!!You can see it when he plays. Remeber, hes learning on the fly too!  Keep the other guy for my money,  which its not...but a guy can dream can't he? .......GO JETS !!!  :box:

'

Doesn't matter if Boyd sucks or not.  We burned a 6th rounder on him so he's the # 3 QB by default.  I see no reason to carry 4 QBs so hopefully Simms is cut.

To those saying Simms never got a "fair shot", I respond that the same thing was said about Brett Ratliff and Greg McElroy.  There's a REASON why those guys don't get a chance.  They don't show anything in practice OR in real game situations.  They suck.

Doesn't matter if Boyd sucks or not.  We burned a 6th rounder on him so he's the # 3 QB by default.  I see no reason to carry 4 QBs so hopefully Simms is cut.

To those saying Simms never got a "fair shot", I respond that the same thing was said about Brett Ratliff and Greg McElroy.  There's a REASON why those guys don't get a chance.  They don't show anything in practice OR in real game situations.  They suck.

I hear ya and all but I still believe Simms would have a had better season last year if given the same opportunity Geno got. 

So why haven't we let him go already?  In my opinion he came from nowhere last year and had the team thinking about possibly making him starter.  They must have liked something in him, and his competition is a sixth round draft choice.  If he had no shot at all, especially being Phil Simms' son, they would have let him go right away to maximize his chances of hooking up with a new team.

And for those who said he didn't show much in the game he was in, if you take a look at how the Jets went after the top free agent receiver and several others in the draft, it's clear that they are convinced that no QB could function with that receiving crew.  There is still some support for Simms in a backup role, he is not out of the competition.

don't forget, the top 2 qb's aren't exactly what I would call durable. the jets don't have a known commodity at qb. they enter the season with 4. just my oppinion

Yeah, the Simms situation is really nothing but an exact duplication of what we went through a few years ago with Ratliff.  And just like when the Jets dared to trade Ratliff away, we'll get to hear how greatly the Jets will come to regret it when they send Simms packing, and just like with Ratliff, we'll ultimately never hear his name in the NFL again.

So why haven't we let him go already? In my opinion he came from nowhere last year and had the team thinking about possibly making him starter. They must have liked something in him, and his competition is a sixth round draft choice. If he had no shot at all, especially being Phil Simms' son, they would have let him go right away to maximize his chances of hooking up with a new team.

And for those who said he didn't show much in the game he was in, if you take a look at how the Jets went after the top free agent receiver and several others in the draft, it's clear that they are convinced that no QB could function with that receiving crew. There is still some support for Simms in a backup role, he is not out of the competition.

Who else have the Jets let go since the draft? No one?

Teams like to go into camp with four QBs. If the Jets hadn't drafted one, they probably would've brought in another UDFA just to be an additional arm. Simms will be on the roster up until the first cutdown in the preseason. Then all bets are off. Keep in mind that Rex was the driving force behind drafting Boyd, and Rex will be making the decisions on who stays and who goes when the time comes to cut the roster. At this point, I'd say Simms is a long shot to make the team.

If they want to do someone a favor by cutting them, they could start with Jacoby Ford. I can't imagine a scenario where he makes the roster.

Archived