Most improved teams from draft... McShay

F.Chowds

AFC East: New York Jets

None of the AFC East teams really jumped out at me, but I'll go with the Jets because in first-round safety Calvin Pryor (a big-hitting tone-setter in the secondary) and second-round tight end Jace Amaro (a safety valve for the Jets' quarterbacks), they landed two likely starters, and, among their three wide receiver picks -- fourth-rounder Jalen Saunders, fourth-rounder Shaq Evans and sixth-rounder Quincy Enunwa -- they should have one emerge as a No. 3 or No. 4 wide receiver as a rookie. It wasn't a stellar, or even particularly exciting, class, but the Jets should come away with some key contributors for 2014.

I think the most important thing that McShay hits on here is that it wasn't an "exciting" class. Idzik and the Jets went about this draft as though they were looking to build their roster with guys they think fit it. Teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and the Packers had a similar approach.

Some fans are clamoring for whatever magical thing Idzik was supposed to have done instead. Desperate teams make desperate moves on draft day. I'm glad that we weren't one of them for once.

I think the most important thing that McShay hits on here is that it wasn't an "exciting" class. Idzik and the Jets went about this draft as though they were looking to build their roster with guys they think fit it. Teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and the Packers had a similar approach.

Some fans are clamoring for whatever magical thing Idzik was supposed to have done instead. Desperate teams make desperate moves on draft day. I'm glad that we weren't one of them for once.

Agree. This will be a solid class imo. If four of these 12 kids become starters over the next two years, it should be viewed as a success.  The first three picks will be key contributors very soon. The remainder will provide solid depth. I really like how Idzik stayed the course and did not do anything impulsive. Rumors are that he was looking into trading up in the 2nd to grab Lee, but the price was too high, so he stayed put and landed Amaro.

Tanny would have pissed himself with 12 picks.

There really was not much competition within the division. What I found most interesting is that the Pats tried to take their own version of Richardson in the first. Maybe he will be good, maybe not - but thats not really the point. Seems to me that the Pats are trying to chase the things the Jets are doing, rather than the other way around like in years past. 

There really was not much competition within the division. What I found most interesting is that the Pats tried to take their own version of Richardson in the first. Maybe he will be good, maybe not - but thats not really the point. Seems to me that the Pats are trying to chase the things the Jets are doing, rather than the other way around like in years past. 

pats are all in for a 2 year window with brady.  they took a bunch of lineman because they are going to throw it 45 times a game and get everything they can get out of him. 

pats are all in for a 2 year window with brady.  they took a bunch of lineman because they are going to throw it 45 times a game and get everything they can get out of him. 

Idk about that. The Pats used to be a team that could show several different looks on offense and defense. That was always their strength and the reason they never had many "superstars". The Jets draft and free agent signing last year and this year involved players that have allowed them to play multiple sets on offense and defense well. Jets had no answer to two TE sets as recent as two years ago, now they do. Jets had no answer to the spread, now they do. And on offense, the Jets can now run a two TE sets, including the spread or a two slot WR spread, they can play with lots of different looks on offense and have several different answers to offenses, on defense. Their 3-3-5 and 4-3 cover two got much better yesterday. Pryor can play a rover safety in the 3-3-5 better than anyone who was in the draft. They also picked up a 4-3 type OLB to rotate with Ballore in the 4-3 and 3-3-5 defenses that use 3 LB's. These two years Idzik has really made the Jets and incredibly difficult team to gameplan against. 

Idk about that. The Pats used to be a team that could show several different looks on offense and defense. That was always their strength and the reason they never had many "superstars". The Jets draft and free agent signing last year and this year involved players that have allowed them to play multiple sets on offense and defense well. Jets had no answer to two TE sets as recent as two years ago, now they do. Jets had no answer to the spread, now they do. And on offense, the Jets can now run a two TE sets, including the spread or a two slot WR spread, they can play with lots of different looks on offense and have several different answers to offenses, on defense. Their 3-3-5 and 4-3 cover two got much better yesterday. Pryor can play a rover safety in the 3-3-5 better than anyone who was in the draft. They also picked up a 4-3 type OLB to rotate with Ballore in the 4-3 and 3-3-5 defenses that use 3 LB's. These two years Idzik has really made the Jets and incredibly difficult team to gameplan against. 

I was referring mostly to the 1 year rental of revis and other moves they have made.

appreciate the insight into the jets flexibility

I was referring mostly to the 1 year rental of revis and other moves they have made.

appreciate the insight into the jets flexibility

They are definitly going all out this year like you had said. We totally agree on that part.

Agreed.  I still struggle with all of this slow methodical approach stuff, and have to continually remind myself that all the big splashes the Jets have made over the years amounted to very little. 

Idzik and the crew have said more than once that they are looking for a specific type of player to fit the Jets style of play and the type of teammates they want. 

It's weird having intelligence prevail over emotion around here. Now let' just see if the pudding bears proof. 

They are definitly going all out this year like you had said. We totally agree on that part.

I can't wait till it crashes and burns. It would be so sweet to see the Pats never win true bowl after they were caught cheating. 

F*CK the PATS!

This is such nonsense.

Steelers, Ravens and Packers all have top QBs.

Jets do not.

Ravens tool a huge risk on their QB who many people questioned. Packers grabbed their QB while they already had an all time great QB on their roster.

Sometimes you need to take calculated risks. Idzik seems to be building a team destined for 7-9 to 9-7 every year, which is mostly due to how good Rex is on D

This team is completely void of playmakers, and sometimes you need to make things happen to get them.

This is such nonsense.

Steelers, Ravens and Packers all have top QBs.

Jets do not.

Ravens tool a huge risk on their QB who many people questioned. Packers grabbed their QB while they already had an all time great QB on their roster.

Sometimes you need to take calculated risks. Idzik seems to be building a team destined for 7-9 to 9-7 every year, which is mostly due to how good Rex is on D

This team is completely void of playmakers, and sometimes you need to make things happen to get them.

Didn't Idzik take a risk using a 2nd rounder on Geno last year? Didn't Idzik take a risk on signing Vick this year.

He's taken risks, they just aren't the risks you are advocating.

Team has playmakers too... they just don't have the playmaker you want them to have. I'm assuming that would be the "#1 WR".

LMFAO @ your narrative.

Didn't Idzik take a risk using a 2nd rounder on Geno last year? Didn't Idzik take a risk on signing Vick this year.

He's taken risks, they just aren't the risks you are advocating.

Team has playmakers too... they just don't have the playmaker you want them to have. I'm assuming that would be the "#1 WR".

LMFAO @ your narrative.

you so silly, you love you some Idzik. 7-9 to 9-7 FO EVAH!

Idzik wanted to improve both the offense and defense in the first two rounds,

so he didn't trade up, he knew he couuld get a small fast receiver in the forth,

so he jumped at what he thinks will be a starting corner in the third.

With tanny and this year Buffalo you see how expensive trading up is and

how it usually doesn't work out, Saunders is our speed wr and weapon in the

return game. we didn't have to give away the farm to get wr, even though

it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I find the drafting of Amaro to be exciting. The Jets have never had a TE or even TE prospect like him. Pryor in his own way too...I do think he works, even if he was not the player they wanted most. 

I really liked Pittsburgh's first four picks, especially the first three. Their draft as a whole looks pretty good - Johnson was a nice grab in the 5th and McCullers was a very good gamble in the 6th. Shazier is going to be really good. 

I think they did a great job sitting with their picks and not giving up a 3rd of them for one guy. the only thing I wonder about is why pryor and not HaHa? everywhere I went everyone had him ranked higher than Pryor. I'm hoping they know somthing like they did when they picked Revis over umm Ross? I think... I remember people arguing over who was the better corner in that draft. 

I think the only reason I wonder about that pick is just cos I wanted a HaHa Jersey LoL

Taking a QB in rd 2 doesn't really fit that take

I agree. That was a very curious pick by the Pats, and I'd think Brady would be a little pissed off about it, too. Does Belichick intend to stick around after Brady retires after all?

I find the drafting of Amaro to be exciting. The Jets have never had a TE or even TE prospect like him. Pryor in his own way too...I do think he works, even if he was not the player they wanted most. 

Who do you think is the player they wanted most? Beckham?

I agree. That was a very curious pick by the Pats, and I'd think Brady would be a little pissed off about it, too. Does Belichick intend to stick around after Brady retires after all?

Yes it was all over every mock, Idzik was never going to trade up to get him. So he stayed PAT. Then got the best safety, BAP was Johnny Football, but he defo went need in round one.

Yes it was all over every mock, Idzik was never going to trade up to get him. So he stayed PAT. Then got the best safety, BAP was Johnny Football, but he defo went need in round one.

Not just need, though. I think he also takes the bust factor into account. Pryor is an excellent prospect who also happens to be a very safe pick. Manziel is the very definition of boom or bust.

Beckham and Fuller were the best fits for the short list going in. The rumors a week ago had us exploring a trade up to 11 or 14 and those players went 12 and 14. The Jets obviously aren't going to come right out and say what they would have done in different circumstances but the indications are as clear as can be otherwise.

For all the talk of this being a deep draft, it was really shallow at certain positions.  One position that was very weak was corner.  After the first 5 guys, there was a huge drop off in talent.  I like McDougle and Dixon because they at least have the request physical charateristics for the positon.  I can't believe these teams drafting guys who run 4.55's just because they are 6'.  How is a 4.55 guy going to catch up after a sub 4.5 guy makes a move on him?

from what I'm seeing most people agree, the AFCE draft wasn't great, but the jets did the best

I think there at least a number of backups here. We had sh*t backups before. 1 and 2 will start for sure. The others just might stay a while. A few will bust, but is a failed 6th rounder a bust? Not really. Point is, we are filling out our roster with some legit football players. And our ST should pick it up next year.

For all the talk of this being a deep draft, it was really shallow at certain positions.  One position that was very weak was corner.  After the first 5 guys, there was a huge drop off in talent.  I like McDougle and Dixon because they at least have the request physical charateristics for the positon.  I can't believe these teams drafting guys who run 4.55's just because they are 6'.  How is a 4.55 guy going to catch up after a sub 4.5 guy makes a move on him?

I'm convinced Dennard is most similar to Antrel Rolle as a DB prospect, and I'm expecting a move to safety. 

I really liked Pittsburgh's first four picks, especially the first three. Their draft as a whole looks pretty good - Johnson was a nice grab in the 5th and McCullers was a very good gamble in the 6th. Shazier is going to be really good. 

I agree.

Pittsburgh quietly had a great draft, guys that fit what they do perfectly just seemed to be there for them in each round.

i didn't love all the picks but for the most part I agree with this.

Agree. This will be a solid class imo. If four of these 12 kids become starters over the next two years, it should be viewed as a success.  The first three picks will be key contributors very soon. The remainder will provide solid depth. I really like how Idzik stayed the course and did not do anything impulsive. Rumors are that he was looking into trading up in the 2nd to grab Lee, but the price was too high, so he stayed put and landed Amaro.

Tanny would have pissed himself with 12 picks.

If Tanny had 12 draft picks we would have only made 3 selections. 

Idzik is getting all the props Rex used to get, except Rex deserved it. What has Johnny boy done to inspire such loyalty?

Yeah, it is really mind boggling. I have never seen so much blind loyalty for a guy who has really done very little if anything at all. Jet fans are treating him like Parcells was treated when he was here, and at least he had the proven track record, Idzik has proven zilch. The only really good thing he has done was keep Rex, and that might not have even been his doing, might have been Woody's.

Archived