Mallet not getting dealt...why did the Pats draft a 3rd string QB in the 2nd round?

Matt39

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard during the draft that the Pats original plan was to take Bortles had he dropped to them in the first. 

I'm thinking they know something about Brady's future that they're not sharing with anyone. 

Giselle is pressuring Brady to become her David Beckham.,  She is sick of him losing at football.  She wants him running on rooftops in his underwear making commercials because that were the real money is.  

Brady's salary for the last 3 years of his current 5 yr deal is 7 mill, then 8 mill, then 9 mill.

He was paid well over 30 mill for the 1st two years.

Does anyone think he will be willing to play the last 3 yrs for that low a salary?

I dont think so.

BB and Kraft might be expecting a hold out and drafted Garrapolo just in case.

Garapolo has a gun and the quickest release in the NFL by far, matter of fact probably

the quickest release I've seen, brady has another year maybe 2, like Rodgers and Farve,

Garapolo will sit for a year or two, the guy was probably the best qb in the draft.

Garapolo has a gun and the quickest release in the NFL by far, matter of fact probably

the quickest release I've seen, brady has another year maybe 2, like Rodgers and Farve,

Garapolo will sit for a year or two, the guy was probably the best qb in the draft.

He has a quick release, but his arm is not particularly powerful. 

Who's Farve?

N Garapolo was the 5th QB selected in the draft. Not sure how you are claiming him to be the best already.

Sarcasm I hope. He's 37.

Well, Brady is on record as saying he wants to play until he's 40. If the Pats were looking to draft a QB in the first round this year, maybe he told them 2014 was going to be it for him. 

Two years is a long time in this league. If he had stuck to his guns about playing until 40, maybe they wait and draft McCarron or Murray in the fifth. 

It makes no sense. Their Super Bowl window is still open and they blew a premium pick on a guy who by definition won't start until after said window has slammed shut, and who offers no surplus value as a special teamer or gadget player in the meantime.

wow.. that is a good article

Too bad it's all bullsh*t, the guy who wrote the article knows nothing,

he isn't a scout or even a professional writer, I don't think too much

of this draft for qb's, but time will tell, Garaf seems to be mobile,

and his accuracy and arm strength good, smart, and with Patriots if he plays

should have a great o line, when the Packers drafted Rodgers they said the

exact same thing about him, he worked out alright, so will Garap.

I heard during the draft that the Pats original plan was to take Bortles had he dropped to them in the first. 

I'm thinking they know something about Brady's future that they're not sharing with anyone. 

Exactly. He's out after this season, which is why they went all in for this year, and they have their QB competition for next year between Mallett and Goropollo.  Plus both will have had the luxury of tutoring under one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Not a bad position to be in actually. Both of those Qb's are better than the entire group we've had here for the entirety of Rex's tenure as coach. 

Tampa Bay and against New England this year. Two borderline calls gave the Jets a victory when they should have lost.

Don't know how many times I have to say this on here, but the NE game was not a gift. The refs "Gifted" the Pats* a BS PI penalty. If they didn't get that gift, the Jets would have run outright in regulation.

Exactly. He's out after this season, which is why they went all in for this year, and they have their QB competition for next year between Mallett and Goropollo.  Plus both will have had the luxury of tutoring under one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Not a bad position to be in actually. Both of those Qb's are better than the entire group we've had here for the entirety of Rex's tenure as coach. 

How are they going all in for this year by using a 2nd round pick on a guy who wont play?

You really don't know that. They could be completely awful. They could be Blaine Gabbert/Browning Nagle bad.  I can't believe the Pats are all that enamored with Mallett as they just drafted Garropolo and last year gave Tebow a look. 

How are they going all in for this year by using a 2nd round pick on a guy who wont play?

They would have used a first on a guy who wouldn't play this year had he been there for them. 

Using a high pick on a guy who you know will only play in a worst case scenario in the upcoming season suggests you are grooming the replacement because your starter has told you he wasn't planning on playing much longer.  

They would have used a first on a guy who wouldn't play this year had he been there for them. 

Using a high pick on a guy who you know will only play in a worst case scenario in the upcoming season suggests you are grooming the replacement because your starter has told you he wasn't planning on playing much longer.  

Problem with that logic is this is the second time in 3 years the Pats have done this.

Archived