Mallet not getting dealt...why did the Pats draft a 3rd string QB in the 2nd round?

Matt39

Problem with that logic is this is the second time in 3 years the Pats have done this.

No, it isn't. Mallett was a third-rounder and there were no post draft stories about the Pats looking the take a QB in round one that year. The Pats also didn't bring literally every QB available in the draft in for a meeting in 2011 like they did this year.

Also, Brady was 34 then and he's 37 now. 

It's a completely different situation.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it isn't. Mallett was a third-rounder and there were no post draft stories about the Pats looking the take a QB in round one that year. The Pats also didn't bring literally every QB available in the draft in for a meeting in 2011 like they did this year.

Mallet was also probably a higher upside prospect than Jimmy G was though. Brady could be closer to retirement...still don't see any reason to take that player there though. I also don't think he's very good I guess either.

The Revis signing (especially to a contract that screams "CUT ME" after one year,) the rumors about them wanting Bortles in the first, the drafting of Garropolo in the second... it all points to this being Brady's last year. 

From your mouth to God's ears. And while he's listening, please let Garoppolo be the replacement.

Don't know how many times I have to say this on here, but the NE game was not a gift. The refs "Gifted" the Pats* a BS PI penalty. If they didn't get that gift, the Jets would have run outright in regulation.

i was going to post the exact same thing before I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it, I'll give people the bucs game but the pats " gift " talk is outrageous to anyone who watched that game..that offensive PI was one of the most corrupt calls made all year or we win fairly comfortably in regulation

i was going to post the exact same thing before I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it, I'll give people the bucs game but the pats " gift " talk is outrageous to anyone who watched that game..that offensive PI was one of the most corrupt calls made all year or we win fairly comfortably in regulation

Exactly. On top of it all, even if the FG penalty wasn't called it's still a tie game. So the Jets could have still won the game and any talk of this being a gift win is ridiculous. 

If anything the Bucs game was less of a gift as it was absolutely a penalty. It was a gift by a player, which happens any number of times during a game, in various forms.

You really don't know that. They could be completely awful. They could be Blaine Gabbert/Browning Nagle bad.  I can't believe the Pats are all that enamored with Mallett as they just drafted Garropolo and last year gave Tebow a look. 

Technically you're right. I don't know that. But I will say it's not difficult to be worse than QB with the worst turnover ratio in the league the the years  2010-12, Brunnell, Clemons, Simms, Tebow and Garard.  (I'll leave Geno out for now cuz who knows)

Fair enough? 

The plan I outlined is still the same and if it were to be true, it shows a lot of planning ahead and foresight. 

It makes no sense. Their Super Bowl window is still open and they blew a premium pick on a guy who by definition won't start until after said window has slammed shut, and who offers no surplus value as a special teamer or gadget player in the meantime.

Who did they pass up at 62 that is the difference between them lifting their 4th title?  No one.  Sure, you might have that guy that comes out of nowhere, but he is there to learn.  As has been pointed out, Mallet is gone after this year.  He can come in and learn with no possibility at seeing the field (hopefully). 

Plus, they have 15 FAs after next season to including Mallet. Half of which are starters or play a big role to include Gostokowski.

Unless you have any proof Brady's retiring, you're not getting anywhere here. Pats just wasted an early pick on a guy who isnt going to play. 

Again, expanding on above.  Mallet is leaving.  If Brady was to miss a game or more in 2015 and beyond, I think you would rather have a guy that has at least a year in the system versus a late round pick next year or using a higher pick when you have 15 free agents.

I am surprised Belichick let that out. 

There was clearly a need for a QB, but 1st round?  Not unless Luck re-entered the draft and then fell to 29.

Garapolo has a gun and the quickest release in the NFL by far, matter of fact probably

the quickest release I've seen, brady has another year maybe 2, like Rodgers and Farve,

Garapolo will sit for a year or two, the guy was probably the best qb in the draft.

Gun? I don't think so. His release may be quick but he does not have a big arm

Mallet was also probably a higher upside prospect than Jimmy G was though. Brady could be closer to retirement...still don't see any reason to take that player there though. I also don't think he's very good I guess either.

1. Belichick has ruined the last decade in New England by not hiring a GM.

2. He should trade Mallet and a pick to Houston for Andre Johnson

Garapolo has a gun and the quickest release in the NFL by far, matter of fact probably

the quickest release I've seen, brady has another year maybe 2, like Rodgers and Farve,

Garapolo will sit for a year or two, the guy was probably the best qb in the draft.

Slow down....he has a quick release, but a rather weak arm.

1. Belichick has ruined the last decade in New England by not hiring a GM.

2. He should trade Mallet and a pick to Houston for Andre Johnson

If he could get Johnson to renegotiate his deal, then yes. Oh, and if he could get Houston to make that deal. Whatever Mallet might be in their dreams, he'll certainly be less if you remove Andre Johnson from the roster.

Your first point is pretty obvious, though. Never seen a team get sucked off so regularly for their awful drafts. Commentators pushing each other out of the way to congratulate them for the genius of picks like Shawn Crable. Look at all the wasted picks at the top of their 2009 draft. Four 2nds (mostly high 2nds) and two 3rds, and they landed Vollmer and 5 guys they dumped.

If he could get Johnson to renegotiate his deal, then yes. Oh, and if he could get Houston to make that deal. Whatever Mallet might be in their dreams, he'll certainly be less if you remove Andre Johnson from the roster.

Your first point is pretty obvious, though. Never seen a team get sucked off so regularly for their awful drafts. Commentators pushing each other out of the way to congratulate them for the genius of picks like Shawn Crable. Look at all the wasted picks at the top of their 2009 draft. Four 2nds (mostly high 2nds) and two 3rds, and they landed Vollmer and 5 guys they dumped.

As long as they keep winning ESPN and the "experts" will keep blowing Belichick on draft day. 

It's gonna catch up to them one day. Last year, their wins against us, the Bills, Browns, Saints and Broncos all could have easily gone the other way. 

They were 12-4 and were damned lucky to be. Playing two rookie QBs playing in their first and second ever NFL games is pretty much why they beat the Bills and us. The refs handed them the Saints game by completely whiffing on an obvious hold on the game winning play, Mankins was ass raping Junior Gallette right in front of the official and no flag was thrown. The refs handed them the Browns game with two of the most questionable PI calls I've ever seen on consecutive plays as time ran out, how convenient! And the Broncos defense just imploded. 

The reality is the Pats had 8-win talent around Brady and caught some breaks. In reality they should have only won 3 of those games at best, more realistically 2. 

Point is, if the Pats play this year like they did last year, they will be hard pressed to win 10 games. 

Who did they pass up at 62 that is the difference between them lifting their 4th title?  No one.  Sure, you might have that guy that comes out of nowhere, but he is there to learn.  As has been pointed out, Mallet is gone after this year.  He can come in and learn with no possibility at seeing the field (hopefully). 

Plus, they have 15 FAs after next season to including Mallet. Half of which are starters or play a big role to include Gostokowski.

Fiedorowicz? Seems like the Pats could've used a big Polish TE there. Laundry? I think either one of those guys could've helped the team this season, whereas Garappolo isn't going to help them at all. Are you justifying the selection in hindsight? That's how it sounds to me.

The pick had to be something of a surprise, right? Belichick is 62 years old, how much longer is he expected to coach? I've always thought he would be gone when Brady retires. I was certainly surprised by the pick. There were definitely players there who could've helped the team make a last run. And if not this year -as you say- a late second rounder should certainly be helping the team in his second year. Again, Garappolo does nothing for you then, either.

As long as they keep winning ESPN and the "experts" will keep blowing Belichick on draft day.

It's gonna catch up to them one day. Last year, their wins against us, the Bills, Browns, Saints and Broncos all could have easily gone the other way.

They were 12-4 and were damned lucky to be. Playing two rookie QBs playing in their first and second ever NFL games is pretty much why they beat the Bills and us. The refs handed them the Saints game by completely whiffing on an obvious hold on the game winning play, Mankins was ass raping Junior Gallette right in front of the official and no flag was thrown. The refs handed them the Browns game with two of the most questionable PI calls I've ever seen on consecutive plays as time ran out, how convenient! And the Broncos defense just imploded.

The reality is the Pats had 8-win talent around Brady and caught some breaks. In reality they should have only won 3 of those games at best, more realistically 2.

Point is, if the Pats play this year like they did last year, they will be hard pressed to win 10 games.

But every Jets win last year was 100% earned and honest.

It's scary to think how dominant the Pats might have been with a GM to intervene between Belichick and the personnel side. The fact that they're sending Brady out there with the same trash as last year is almost sad.

Slow down....he has a quick release, but a rather weak arm.

Could be, only saw the highlights after he was drafted, looked good on the

highlights, and Simms said he was the best qb in the draft, his arm looked to

be at least as strong as Pennington's before his injuries, so he probably will

be pretty good, hopefully he sucks.

I heard during the draft that the Pats original plan was to take Bortles had he dropped to them in the first.

I'm thinking they know something about Brady's future that they're not sharing with anyone.

He's not getting any younger. If they can get a QB even in the 1st and have him sit a year or two it would be ideal.

It's scary to think how dominant the Pats might have been with a GM to intervene between Belichick and the personnel side. The fact that they're sending Brady out there with the same trash as last year is almost sad.

It's a sloppy roster. But they win...it's business up there. There's no celebration after a win...felt like every Jets win last year was a monumental achievement.

What's Gronks deal anyway?

I remember the still photo of that holding non-call against the Saints.  

And the Clowns game as well, where Campbell had arguably the best game of his career against NE.  

You referenced their first game with Buffalo getting a rookie QB in week 1. Well their 2nd game with Buffalo their QB was Thaddeus Lewis.

If not for Smith looking every bit of an inexperienced rookie in over his head, with a lousy receiving corps to yield little help, they'd have dropped 2 of 2 to us.

And the shape of their receiving corps last year, from letting Welker go to an injured Gronkowski, was all on Belichick's arrogance. 

I remember the still photo of that holding non-call against the Saints.  

And the Clowns game as well, where Campbell had arguably the best game of his career against NE.  

You referenced their first game with Buffalo getting a rookie QB in week 1. Well their 2nd game with Buffalo their QB was Thaddeus Lewis.

If not for Smith looking every bit of an inexperienced rookie in over his head, with a lousy receiving corps to yield little help, they'd have dropped 2 of 2 to us.

And the shape of their receiving corps last year, from letting Welker go to an injured Gronkowski, was all on Belichick's arrogance. 

The Jets were a four win team that played over their heads and won eight games last year. The Pats were a 7-8 win team that caught some lucky breaks and Forrest Gumped their way to 12 somehow. 

Because Mallet is not good and everybody knows it at this point.

Mallet would be a throw-in in this deal. No one is giving the Texans more than a 2 for Johnson right now, IMO. A two plus a QB O'Brien knows? That's value. VALUE.

Archived