Mallet not getting dealt...why did the Pats draft a 3rd string QB in the 2nd round?

Matt39

Mallet would be a throw-in in this deal. No one is giving the Texans more than a 2 for Johnson right now, IMO. A two plus a QB O'Brien knows? That's value. VALUE.

And yet here we are, talking about a league where a team gave up a first and a fourth for Revis. There's no big secret on how to handle this for Houston. Find the dumbest team that will do you the least harm during the season as a result of the trade. That's certainly not the Patriots.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiedorowicz? Seems like the Pats could've used a big Polish TE there. Laundry? I think either one of those guys could've helped the team this season, whereas Garappolo isn't going to help them at all. Are you justifying the selection in hindsight? That's how it sounds to me.

The pick had to be something of a surprise, right? Belichick is 62 years old, how much longer is he expected to coach? I've always thought he would be gone when Brady retires. I was certainly surprised by the pick. There were definitely players there who could've helped the team make a last run. And if not this year -as you say- a late second rounder should certainly be helping the team in his second year. Again, Garappolo does nothing for you then, either.

Actually, I was not surprised. If you try and think like Belichick you will only drive yourself crazy. :)

Could he find a roster spot? Yes, of course. He has better hands than Hooman..... , but is not as good at blocking (not saying he is bad at it). Is he the difference in winning the title? Doubtful. IMHO they are trying to get away from the TE centric offense they had

As far as Graoppolo, the general sense from the talking heads that follow the Patriots was that they were going to draft a QB to carry the clip board after Mallet leaves. I did not buy him being traded (unless they were overwhelmed, but there is no justification for it). While he is JAG, he is JAG that knows the system. I would not be surprised in 2016 the actual Brady replacement is drafted.

Belichick aid he is not going to be Marv Levy and coach into his 70s so I would say you are right that he will retire with Brady or soon afterwards.

Actually, I was not surprised. If you try and think like Belichick you will only drive yourself crazy. :)

Could he find a roster spot? Yes, of course. He has better hands than Hooman..... , but is not as good at blocking (not saying he is bad at it). Is he the difference in winning the title? Doubtful. IMHO they are trying to get away from the TE centric offense they had

As far as Graoppolo, the general sense from the talking heads that follow the Patriots was that they were going to draft a QB to carry the clip board after Mallet leaves. I did not buy him being traded (unless they were overwhelmed, but there is no justification for it). While he is JAG, he is JAG that knows the system. I would not be surprised in 2016 the actual Brady replacement is drafted.

Belichick aid he is not going to be Marv Levy and coach into his 70s so I would say you are right that he will retire with Brady or soon afterwards.

You forgot to add "I hope" because you have no clue if anything you wrote is remotely correct. 

If the Pats draft another QB in the top 2 rounds in 2016 that would be hilarious.  Belichick should stick to drafting QBs outside the top 198 picks.

If the Pats draft another QB in the top 2 rounds in 2016 that would be hilarious.  Belichick should stick to drafting QBs outside the top 198 picks.

Unless Garoppolo gives the Patriots confidence he is the guy in 2018, he will need to be extended.  Sure Brady could retire before hand, but I have difficulty seeing him walking away from his last multimillion dollar pay check.

Belicheat has never had a great track record drafting in the early rounds. He is good at finding the occasional mid-late round diamond tho, so i guess it evens out.

While their are some bombs (Chad Jackson), he has done pretty well.   

You forgot to add "I hope" because you have no clue if anything you wrote is remotely correct. 

What?  makes no sense.

Unless Garoppolo gives the Patriots confidence he is the guy in 2018, he will need to be extended.  Sure Brady could retire before hand, but I have difficulty seeing him walking away from his last multimillion dollar pay check.

More than that, it keeps him in the spotlight.  Those endorsement deals are going to dry up, at least somewhat, when he's out of the league.

Archived