Looks like Andre Johnson could be on the move

brian101193

HOUSTON -- Andre Johnson, who holds virtually every receiving record for the Houston Texans, isn't sure he wants to remain with the organization.

"When you've been somewhere or a long time, nobody's been here as long as I have," Johnson said just after presenting a check to the Houston Area Women's Center. "I've been thinking about things this offseason. Kind of wonder if this is still the place for me."

[+] Enlargenfl_a_andrejohnson_cmg_600_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Patric SchneiderAndre Johnson says he has no plans to participate in organized team activities or the Texans' mandatory minicamp in June.

Johnson said he has no plans right now to participate in organized team activities or the Texans' mandatory minicamp in June. He added that he has not asked for a trade.

Johnson, selected by the Texans in the first round of the 2003 draft, is the franchise's all-time leading receiver with 927 receptions for 12,661 yards and 61 touchdowns in 11 seasons.

Despite catching 109 passes for 1,407 yards and 5 TDs last season, Johnson still endured his share of frustration in the Texans' abysmal 2-14 campaign. Against the Oakland Raiders on November 17, Johnson reached a boiling point, walking off the field in the fourth quarter after an on-field spat with now former Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.

Johnson, 32, will have a new coach this season after the Texans fired coach Gary Kubiak in December and hired Bill O'Brien in January.

"Now I'm on my third head coach, that's something I give thought to," Johnson said. "I just look over my career, is it a place? I've only been to the playoffs twice. I think we've only had three winning seasons, two 8-8 seasons. I don't think any player wants to experience that.

"... You go through a rebuilding process, some people say it's not rebuilding, some people say it's a quick fix. Everybody has their own opinion. But I've been through this more than once. When I make my decision, I'll make my decision."

You don't think the Jets will be a contender next year? We have a top 5/10 defense and plugged in all of our major holes in the offense this off-season

wild card contender yes (but will be very difficult with our schedule) .... Super Bowl contender No

You don't think the Jets will be a contender next year? We have a top 5/10 defense and plugged in all of our major holes in the offense this off-season

Our schedule is brutal. Our QB play is suspect. We have gotten better from last season, but so have our opponents. Its a tough call.

It goes against everything I've spouted for years--no short term rentals, no back page worthy acquisitions, no older payday guys taking the place of young developmental players...but damn I love me some Andre Johnson.  If we could get three good years out of him, I'd be a happy man.  AJ might not be, but I'm selfish deep down.

I said it once and I'll say it again AJ doesn't want to be here because we aren't just one player away from the SB besides even if he did and although we def can afford his contract I just don't see Idzik giving up a 1st or 2nd rounder for this guy which will be the min asking price...

Andre Johnson has been one of the best receivers in football for the last 10 years.  He has now reached that point in his career where his production will no longer match his salary.  This is not the type of player we should be looking to acquire.

Andre Johnson has been one of the best receivers in football for the last 10 years.  He has now reached that point in his career where his production will no longer match his salary.  This is not the type of player we should be looking to acquire.

They said the exact thing about Randy Moss. And that was a season that went into the history books for multiple reasons. In advance, please spare me the Superbowl loss shot. :)

I said it once and I'll say it again AJ doesn't want to be here because we aren't just one player away from the SB besides even if he did and although we def can afford his contract I just don't see Idzik giving up a 1st or 2nd rounder for this guy which will be the min asking price...

Why would the minimum asking price be a first or second rounder? He's 32, has a large contract, and does not want play for the team that owns them. The Texans would have little to no leverage with a trade partner. This is like the Randy Moss to the Patriot's situation...the Patriots gave a fourth round pick to the Raiders for Moss

If it's Andre Johnson vs. David Nelson, I'll take my chances with Andre Johnson.

Why would the minimum asking price be a first or second rounder? He's 32, has a large contract, and does not want play for the team that owns them. The Texans would have little to no leverage with a trade partner. This is like the Randy Moss to the Patriot's situation...the Patriots gave a fourth round pick to the Raiders for Moss

4th rounder would be an absolute no-brainer for us. I think they'll get more for him, though.

Edited to add that the Texans leverage is probably the fact that if they don't trade him, you know, hey, they still have one of the best wide receivers in the game on the field for 2014.

Edited to add that the Texans leverage is probably the fact that if they don't trade him, you know, hey, they still have one of the best wide receivers in the game on the field for 2014.

I think we can attest to how meaningless a wide receiver that has no motivation is to a team. Santonio Holmes proved that if you have a WR who doesn't care, you have a WR that is not a good WR.

His contract isn't that nutty.  His cap number is nutty because so much of his deal was in up-front bonus $.  But taking on his salary alone, in this market, $11M for Andre isn't so crazy.  He has 3 years left on his deal and there's no negative hit if he suddenly hits the wall one year and we need to move on.

But I have no idea what compensation he'd command in trade.  I could see a contender giving up a late 1 and more.  I could also see something out of nowhere for a player that's been rumored already (Mallet) plus a mid-round pick.  Houston has a deep hole at QB and it's not like we have a great or high-upside one to give.  Geno's hardly a sure thing, and if they really wanted Vick they could have had him for weeks without giving up a great player. 

I don't see us getting him for a 4th round pick.  Houston doesn't gain much on their cap this season, though they do save a bunch of cash if that matters to them and with today's somewhat fluid cap they do save that salary on the cap over time.  They save that $11M for this year, plus with his prior bonus accelerating to 2014 he counts nothing for 2015 and beyond.  So in 2015 they'd save $16M instead of $8M and they could push his $11M salary/bonus for this year to 2015 as well.  Total savings would be $18M instead of $8M, and they're not going anywhere in 2014 anyway.  So if they think they may move him before becoming a contender again, cap-wise it would make sense for them to move him now.  

Keep in mind, though, Houston may very well value a 1st round offer as a 2nd rounder, since they don't get to use that pick for another year and historically future picks have been valued as 1 round lower (e.g. when a team trades this year's 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder next year).

Hard to say if they'd get more now as opposed to before the draft.  Such a deep WR draft, but there will always be teams who figured they'd get a WR but maybe the top-end talent thinned out earlier than they expected and they don't like what they ended up with.  There are certainly Jets fans that feel this way about our draft.

His contract isn't that nutty. His cap number is nutty because so much of his deal was in up-front bonus $. But taking on his salary alone, in this market, $11M for Andre isn't so crazy. He has 3 years left on his deal and there's no negative hit if he suddenly hits the wall one year and we need to move on.

But I have no idea what compensation he'd command in trade. I could see a contender giving up a late 1 and more. I could also see something out of nowhere for a player that's been rumored already (Mallet) plus a mid-round pick. Houston has a deep hole at QB and it's not like we have a great or high-upside one to give. Geno's hardly a sure thing, and if they really wanted Vick they could have had him for weeks without giving up a great player.

I don't see us getting him for a 4th round pick. Houston doesn't gain much on their cap this season, though they do save a bunch of cash if that matters to them and with today's somewhat fluid cap they do save that salary on the cap over time. They save that $11M for this year, plus with his prior bonus accelerating to 2014 he counts nothing for 2015 and beyond. So in 2015 they'd save $16M instead of $8M and they could push his $11M salary/bonus for this year to 2015 as well. Total savings would be $18M instead of $8M, and they're not going anywhere in 2014 anyway. So if they think they may move him before becoming a contender again, cap-wise it would make sense for them to move him now.

Keep in mind, though, Houston may very well value a 1st round offer as a 2nd rounder, since they don't get to use that pick for another year and historically future picks have been valued as 1 round lower (e.g. when a team trades this year's 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder next year).

Hard to say if they'd get more now as opposed to before the draft. Such a deep WR draft, but there will always be teams who figured they'd get a WR but maybe the top-end talent thinned out earlier than they expected and they don't like what they ended up with. There are certainly Jets fans that feel this way about our draft.

Rrtodqk.gif

Archived