Is next year the year Idzik makes a splash?

slats

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schlauderaff must have taken Colon's place after the biceps tear.  He was the only one active!

Vlad was active for 16 games and started 4. He backed up every position except center. And yes he's the one who went in for Colon. 

The only thing that has changed is the new CBA, which allows for left over cap to rollover in to the next yr. Idzik is running the offseason strategically with 2015 and beyond in his mind. Just because u have the cap, doesn't mean you have to use it. We had pretty much ZERO cap last yr. If Woody was so hellbent on saving money off the cap, he would've asked Idzik to make some cuts last year to save him 10+ mil. He didn't.

And $14mil isn't making Woody poor...or rich.

there was no cap last year because of the REvis trade. It accelerated 10+ mil of dead money

even this year the fact is they cut Sanchez and Holmes (all that dead money) and still have the 2nd most cap space... it is drastically different than years prior.  and not just because of the CBA. it's the way Idzik is running the team. 

the "splash" everyone is looking for is a Mo Wilk extension, but not until after 2015.

I don't see an '08 where he goes out and buys a bunch of high priced FAs, not for years and years anyway (and those guys will have easy out contracts anyway). That's pretty much the only way to wreck where the Jets seem headed (besides continuing to bomb at QB), and FA pricing is team friendly. 

Not sure what I think he does long term in the draft, but neither the Cardinals or Seahawks were loud teams on draft day (just really, really good at scouting and development at one point or another).

I expect to continue the steady turnover...should see at least one new (at min) relatively high profile LBer next year. I'm sure a pass rushing DE/OLB can be considered a splash, and that's basically inevitable. They'll be looking for a stud WR too...Seems like they shoot for depth and let stars rise to the top from that pool. 

I meant to get into this on the podcast but it fell apart post-Courtney. Check out JetsCap and look at the 2015 roster as it stands right now--it's Wilkerson and Brick (Mangold is going to get cut), and the last two draft classes. Even Kerley is in trouble if Saunders can play a lick. Right now, they're tied to $92 mil in cap charges, and the cap is expected to be north of $138 next year. If Geno can play, Idzik is going to load up next year.

Mangold will get cut?

Mangold will get cut?

I don't think so. We're going to be in a similar position with Mangold next year that we're in with Harris now. Under normal conditions there is no way Idzik would carry cap numbers like these, but we can't turn over everything all at once and we have the space to hold onto key veterans into the out years of their contracts. Mangold is probably cut after 2015 if we don't restructure him during this season though.

I don't think so. We're going to be in a similar position with Mangold next year that we're in with Harris now. Under normal conditions there is no way Idzik would carry cap numbers like these, but we can't turn over everything all at once and we have the space to hold onto key veterans into the out years of their contracts. Mangold is probably cut after 2015 if we don't restructure him during this season though.

the Jets also don't have any sort of succession plan. The George pick is a clear shot across the bow of Harris. It's not even clear if the Jets have a backup center, let alone another starter. 

Keep in mind the Giants just took Weston Richburg 11 picks into the 2nd round. Weston Richburg. Who's a tough player and all but there's a center shortage and if Mangold does get cut, he could command massive dollars on the open market. 

the Jets also don't have any sort of succession plan. The George pick is a clear shot across the bow of Harris. It's not even clear if the Jets have a backup center, let alone another starter. 

Keep in mind the Giants just took Weston Richburg 11 picks into the 2nd round. Weston Richburg. Who's a tough player and all but there's a center shortage and if Mangold does get cut, he could command massive dollars on the open market. 

I've been getting caught up on George. It's really hard to see any starting potential here. I think at best he plays specials to free up Bellore to come in so Harris and Davis aren't playing every single snap. He gets blocked really easily, and when he does beat a block he manages to take himself out of the play doing it because one step in the wrong direction and he can't recover. We don't have a fallback option like Bellore at center but it can't be all that difficult to find one.

I've been getting caught up on George. It's really hard to see any starting potential here. I think at best he plays specials to free up Bellore to come in so Harris and Davis aren't playing every single snap. He gets blocked really easily, and when he does beat a block he manages to take himself out of the play doing it because one step in the wrong direction and he can't recover. We don't have a fallback option like Bellore at center but it can't be all that difficult to find one.

Bellore is not quite the athlete that George is (and people bashed George's athleticism, which means Bellore is real slow for an ILB). 

it's actually real difficult to find a center. The Broncos just had a super bowl ruined because their guard-turned-center snapped the ball over Manning's head on the first play from scrimmage. It wasn't the only reason they lost, clearly, but it's illustrative of the problem finding centers. Their response? Sign Will Montgomery to backup. The same guard turned center Manny Ramirez is starting, again.

other top 100 centers like Travis Swanson are flat out turrible. It's a supply/demand problem and Jets fans eager to get rid of Mangold should look at the market.  

The only thing that has changed is the new CBA, which allows for left over cap to rollover in to the next yr. Idzik is running the offseason strategically with 2015 and beyond in his mind. Just because u have the cap, doesn't mean you have to use it. We had pretty much ZERO cap last yr. If Woody was so hellbent on saving money off the cap, he would've asked Idzik to make some cuts last year to save him 10+ mil. He didn't.

And $14mil isn't making Woody poor...or rich.

I don't have a stance on whether he's trying to save money or not but for him to ask Idzik to make some cuts to save money wasn't an option. We had no one to possibly cut. Had we cut them we would have been better off keeping them due to dead money. I think we lost more cap space trading Revis then had we kept him.

I don't have a stance on whether he's trying to save money or not but for him to ask Idzik to make some cuts to save money wasn't an option. We had no one to possibly cut. Had we cut them we would have been better off keeping them due to dead money. I think we lost more cap space trading Revis then had we kept him.

Well we absorbed more money on the cap (in 2013) by trading Revis than we would have by keeping him.  Yet it cut payroll by $6M or whatever it was.

Cap savings or not, cutting an expensive player saves the owner from paying his salary (unless it's guaranteed).  If they cut Mangold, I believe he was already outside the guarantee portion of his 2010 deal (which was overwritten a year later anyway).  Cutting him would have saved $6M.  The only ones untouchable were Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris, and I think Ferguson, since their seasons were guaranteed for all or most of the amount the Jets ultimately paid.  And they did threaten to cut Holmes if he didn't take a pay cut (which he did take).  

Cutting David Harris this year would save $5M.

If he wanted to save $14M of payroll he could have ordered Idzik to do so, and it would have happened.  It's possible - none of us really know no matter what gets imagined - but it seems unlikely.  Any salary cuts would almost certainly be done because it weakened the cap (present/then-present and future), not because it lowered the payroll.

The one thing this owner has shown a willingness to do is to go all-out on paying for any player.  He didn't suddenly become poor.  Far from it.

Douchebags **** up locker rooms. Again, you never sacrifice the short for the long. This is what we hired. No chance Idzik is going to say **** it when his entire philosophy is centered on calculating risk.

Vick...Goodson.

The Idzik statue really needs to be placed on hold until the team actually has some success. "Philosophy".......please.

Well we absorbed more money on the cap (in 2013) by trading Revis than we would have by keeping him. Yet it cut payroll by $6M or whatever it was.

Cap savings or not, cutting an expensive player saves the owner from paying his salary (unless it's guaranteed). If they cut Mangold, I believe he was already outside the guarantee portion of his 2010 deal (which was overwritten a year later anyway). Cutting him would have saved $6M. The only ones untouchable were Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris, and I think Ferguson, since their seasons were guaranteed for all or most of the amount the Jets ultimately paid. And they did threaten to cut Holmes if he didn't take a pay cut (which he did take).

Cutting David Harris this year would save $5M.

If he wanted to save $14M of payroll he could have ordered Idzik to do so, and it would have happened. It's possible - none of us really know no matter what gets imagined - but it seems unlikely. Any salary cuts would almost certainly be done because it weakened the cap (present/then-present and future), not because it lowered the payroll.

The one thing this owner has shown a willingness to do is to go all-out on paying for any player. He didn't suddenly become poor. Far from it.

Thank you. Finally someone that knows football n not an irrational, sky is falling type fan. Very we'll put. If Woody wanted to cut down the payroll regardless of the team, he would've let Mangold, Harris and/Or Brick go. If none if those happened, he would've vetoed the Decker, CJ n Vick signings.

Vick...Goodson.

The Idzik statue really needs to be placed on hold until the team actually has some success. "Philosophy".......please.

Philosophy = Competition (amongst other things)

BOOM! Headshot!

Bellore is not quite the athlete that George is (and people bashed George's athleticism, which means Bellore is real slow for an ILB).

it's actually real difficult to find a center. The Broncos just had a super bowl ruined because their guard-turned-center snapped the ball over Manning's head on the first play from scrimmage. It wasn't the only reason they lost, clearly, but it's illustrative of the problem finding centers. Their response? Sign Will Montgomery to backup. The same guard turned center Manny Ramirez is starting, again.

other top 100 centers like Travis Swanson are flat out turrible. It's a supply/demand problem and Jets fans eager to get rid of Mangold should look at the market.

If u wanna put part of the blame for SB loss on the center, then u need to give him credit for winning 15 games also (or whatever he played in).

And I doubt any reasonable fan is wanting Mangold gone. He's the rock of this OL. He's missed one game in his entire career I believe while consistently being one of the leagues best centers.

Archived