Is next year the year Idzik makes a splash?

slats

Kelly cut Desean because he's a douchebag. We passed on Desean because he's a douchebag. Dan Snyder signed him because he's a douchebag and likes other douchebags. We'll probably keep passing on guys who are douchebags. Even if we're 11-5 next year, I'd bet a billion dollars that we don't sign any douchebags.

This is something I'm interested in.  With Mangini we all eventually got sick of the choir boys.  Idzik seems to be quietly going after guys that have motors.  He doesn't seem to mind scumbags having picked up Vick and a few picks that were arrested, but most of these guys were considered good in the lockerroom and almost all seem to be high motor, effort players.  Part of this may have to do with considering specials with all those picks.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Idzik is going to make a splash till he believes the organization has a QB can take this franchise to the next level Till then its going to be value FA signings and adding to the talent via the draft.

If Geno pans out this season than and only then can we expect a Idzik being aggressive in FA. If he doesnt and the like of Boyd/Simms do not show any promise then the JETS are back to the drawing board to draft a QB prospect.

This is something I'm interested in.  With Mangini we all eventually got sick of the choir boys.  Idzik seems to be quietly going after guys that have motors.  He doesn't seem to mind scumbags having picked up Vick and a few picks that were arrested, but most of these guys were considered good in the lockerroom and almost all seem to be high motor, effort players.  Part of this may have to do with considering specials with all those picks.  

At the very least it looks like we're never going to see something like Holmes and Hunter going at it on the field. Based on his offseasons his philosophy looks to be that there is a middle ground to be found between Mangini and Tannenbaum. You don't need to necessarily confine yourself to seniors, or even guys that have never been in trouble; the math just needs to add up in bringing you in. You know Vick is going to be fine because he was broke. You know Conrad probably got past everything and even if he didn't Richardson would probably kill him and nobody would care. You know Amaro isn't going to steal someone's credit card again. You do not know, however, if Desean Jackson would start bitching about Geno to Mehta and Cimini, and that type of crap is just not worth it. There's not one guy on the roster that would start any sh*t, and that's certainly not a coincidence.

We have been spoiled by Tannenbaum. Idzik didn't make monster moves, but he made moves. If you step back and look, he did a decent job. Would I have wanted him to be more aggressive? Absolutely. But he didn't sit on his hands completely. I can't imagine him ever going out and showing us flashes of the Tanny era, but I also don't think he will completely ignore impact players if the opportunity arises. Sadly, he isn't into winning bidding wars. 

With that said.. Mangold gone in 15???

And if Geno falters this year, but shows some improvement, do we go QB next draft? How much space is he given before his replacement is found via round 1 or big boy trade?

Or he could just keep drafting the Saunders, Evans, Enunwas of the world, and hope to hit. It all comes down to the QB. If Geno can spread the ball around, I think Idzik would be very happy without a guy catching more than 60 passes on the roster. A well balanced attack that includes a healthy running game, and near even distribution in the passing game to Decker, Amaro, Kerley, and Receiver X probably works pretty well for him. He doesn't seem like an all his eggs in one basket kinda guy. Last year, the offense fell apart when Kerley went down. If the load is being shared by four guys, losing one doesn't cripple you.

I'm envisioning a 2 TE set in an ISO formation.  Decker, Cumby and Amaro (6'3, 6'4, and 6'5 respectively) are adequate run-blockers or chain moving possession types.  

A run-option QB, with a pass-catching head knocker for a FB (Chad Young) and a receiving threat in Chris Johnson, means we have two other receiving options, and three potential runners on any given play.  

4-8 yards on every play.  Guaranteed. 

The acid test player was Desean Jackson, imo, because he's young and an elite talent that wouldn't break the bank, so you guys could be correct, but I do think the big buys are coming next year. I don't see how he casn hope to compete for titles drafting safeties and DEs and signing #2 receivers.

This is what I was trying to get through on the podcast last night. The big boys are already arriving, just mostly through the draft. Idzik's stock is heavy in that aspect of team building because if he gets it right he'll always be able to maintain flexibility in all other area's given the availability of funds and draft picks. Now most would say well its hard to hit in the draft like that, well its just has hard to hit like that in free agency as well, furthermore its financially taxing on the organization to boot if you get it wrong in FA. If it was so easy then lets not play the season and crown the raiders champions of the football world right now. 

John Idzik will spend money in FA, but he will not corner himself in by the mantra of spending millions simply because he as the funds readily available. Idizik "splash" is already occurring. Last year we had zero skill set threats on the offensive side of the ball. Now we have Decker and Johnson. Idzik goes out and adds Saunders, Evans, Amaro & Enunwa to the mix to add more. Now some people won't call decker a "threat" but he's arguably the best WR in the afc east, and what he did with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow lets me know that it wasn't all Peyton Manning as well. 

Idzik sees that our threats on defense are all within our front 7, primarily our front 4. When the ball is thrown deep we were vulnerable last year because Cro was no longer a play maker, Milliner was in transition and our over the top help was non existent. Idzik goes and drafts a guy in Pryor who will present a level of consequence when attempting the deep throw. Idzik "splash" mentality isn't typical in nature. He's providing & spreading out the talent throughout the team. 

Idzik will save the money in order to resign what he hit on in the draft along with being able to always be in the conversation for certain talent that may fall into FA, but he won't be giving out any crazy deals. The deals will be fair. Most feel that Idzik is too restricted when negotiating. I think Idzik simply looks for fair deals. No one thinks that Decker got cheated on his deal, Idzik just wasn't going to pay Decker 9 million dollars a year simply because that was the word on the street. Idzik position when developing a team is value. Throwing away money on free agents who just got their "pay day" may not come with the hunger to really acclimate. provide a good scouting team, draft the players with that hunger and reward them with the money you saved in the future with future contracts while only utilizing FAgency to provide pieces around the board. 

Next year I doubt we're going big like that, if anything we'll probably use FA to fill in the LT and or C spots with serviceable players, let Ferguson and Mangold walk then use the draft to pick up the future at those positions. Idzik whats to develop his own players not pay for someone else's. He proved that by not being overly aggressive in the pursuit of guys like DRC and Desean Jackson. probably because his eyes was already on guys like Dexter McDougle and Jalen Saunders, as well as others...showing trust in his team of scouts. 

I think Idzik will do what he has to do. Teams occasionally find QB diamonds in the 3rd (or the 6th) round. It all depends on how Geno progresses this year. Geno has physical tools. If he puts it together somewhat this year I see Idzik going on as he has. If he does not, well, it is hard to trade for a great QB. I can see him abandoning his long term plan a bit to find that special QB, if he is out there. For the most part, a great player at that position is a necessity. Personlly, I have my fingers crossed for Geno.

idzik will never splash. Never. My unofficial complete speculation theory is that when he took this job, he told Woody that he'd run it like a small market team. Which was music to Woody's ears after living through the Tannenbaum era. 

And they aren't cutting Mangold, not when they have 30+ mil (and rising) cap space already. 

This was a discussion on the podcast tonight. I don't think Idzik does anything splash-like unless he's in the market for a QB. I think he's too conservative in nature, and too value driven. He needs to get the best of every deal, and it's hard to make deals with others when you're not very good at the give part of give and take.

With two full drafts under his belt, and not a single draft day trade, I think we can establish a trend. There was talk that he tried to move in both directions in both drafts, but was unable to make a deal. He's a tough negotiator, maybe too tough.

I also think he puts a lot of thought into bust potential, especially with his high picks. Milliner was a value pick at a need, and Sheldon was one of those planet picks with the size and speed that makes it hard to go wrong. This year, he may've been slightly distracted by Manziel, but it was probably down to Pryor or Cooks. Who's more likely to bust there? The undersized WR, or the hard hitting safety? Like Milliner and Richardson, he took the top prospect at his respective position in Pryor. I think he likes that, too.

He's also right on board with the ground and pound. Physicality is the key. Signed another veteran RB this year, and a big WR. Then went defense with two of his first three picks, with the third being the big TE. As much of a weapon Cooks might've potentially been, Pryor fits the team personality a lot better.

I think if he's in the market for a QB, he might be able to make a trade for the first pick of the draft - if only because he'll have weeks to negotiate it rather than ten minutes. But I think these last two years are what the future is going to bring. Value shopping in free agency, an attempt to collect comp picks, and then sitting tight and picking when it's his turn. When he has to spend money, he'll spend it to keep the guys he wants to keep.

Adding the JN Radio Podcast link: http://www.jetnation.com/2014/05/14/new-york-jets-draft-recap-a-show-for-ny-jets-fans/

Nice write-up and I agree with most if it. However, I don't think we are seeing a trend with Idzik. He has traded draft pick, albeit not on draft day. We see a lot of one sided trades on draft day based upon draft value chart so it's not like Idzik gets greedy for more value. Sometimes u gotta be at the right place at the right time.

As far as making a splash is concerned, I think he'll have solid and very calculated off seasons. Yeah, we had about 50mil in space this off season, but we are now left with about 20 I believe. So he did dole out 30mil worth cap dollars this yr and will give out another 8~mil or so for the 12 rookies. Not too flashy and not too conservative. If anything, he held all the cards in all the negotiations and was willing to strike a deal for the right guy.

Comp picks are not going to come every year. We won't get any comp picks next yr or maybe even the yr after. I'd much rather keep a solid player than to let him go in hopes of grabbing a 6th rounder (7th really) as long as it's not $ related.

idzik will never splash. Never. My unofficial complete speculation theory is that when he took this job, he told Woody that he'd run it like a small market team. Which was music to Woody's ears after living through the Tannenbaum era.

And they aren't cutting Mangold, not when they have 30+ mil (and rising) cap space already.

With the minimum spend limit due to the new CBA, I doubt such a conversation took place between Woody n Idzik. Plus, saving 10mil against the cap as opposed to signing big name FA isn't going to save u money (big name FAs will increase sales).

I think Idzik just doesn't wanna be in a spot where he has no flexibility in the FA like last yr. he wants to control negotiations so that he'll pay you as long as you're worth paying for. This yr he didn't bring a lot of flashy players to Jets but he did bring several solid players (Decker, CJ, Vick, Giacomini) that can contribute right away rather than waiting for draft picks to learn. Offense needed an overhaul and he brought in as many as 5 new starters including Amaro.

Here's my theory about Idzik's relatively conservative FA approach this yr considering the cap space;

Idzik feels he still has another yr of grooming Geno before the Jets can take the next step, so he pushed a lot of the cap space to next yr to make several more solid moves, maybe a small splash here n there as well. He gave Geno enough to play with n prove himself this yr. I wasn't too bummed out about him not paying a non-dedicated CB or a WR with gang ties or an aging OLB demanding a ton (Ware), or TE that can't catch or block (Lions TE). Let's face it. It wasn't the type if FA class to be carrying $50mil in space.

Nice write-up and I agree with most if it. However, I don't think we are seeing a trend with Idzik. He has traded draft pick, albeit not on draft day. We see a lot of one sided trades on draft day based upon draft value chart so it's not like Idzik gets greedy for more value. Sometimes u gotta be at the right place at the right time.

Like I said in the OP, maybe he can do a deal for the first overall pick because he'll have plenty of time to get it done, but in two years he hasn't been able to get a trade done on the clock - despite the fact that even he's admitted to've looked both up and down. That's a trend, IMHO. He's going to have to be less deliberate and more flexible to make a deal in just a few minutes.

As far as making a splash is concerned, I think he'll have solid and very calculated off seasons. Yeah, we had about 50mil in space this off season, but we are now left with about 20 I believe. So he did dole out 30mil worth cap dollars this yr and will give out another 8~mil or so for the 12 rookies. Not too flashy and not too conservative. If anything, he held all the cards in all the negotiations and was willing to strike a deal for the right guy.

He had a slow start to free agency this year, but I don't have a lot of complaints. I didn't expect Decker. I still feel he missed on the CB, hopefully this McDougle kid is the real deal.

Comp picks are not going to come every year. We won't get any comp picks next yr or maybe even the yr after. I'd much rather keep a solid player than to let him go in hopes of grabbing a 6th rounder (7th really) as long as it's not $ related.

No, they won't have comp picks next year I don't think. The following year, though, they could be in line for another haul. Harris, Vick, Patterson, Wilson, Colon, Powell, Kerley, Bellore, Ellis, and Douzable are all coming to the end of their contracts. Who are they keeping out of that list? Kerley and Douzable, maybe? Maybe that's another reason to've spent more money in free agency this year, because next year I can see Idzik passing on free agents whose contracts have expired, and targeting cut players to maximize those comp picks once again.

With the minimum spend limit due to the new CBA, I doubt such a conversation took place between Woody n Idzik.  

the difference between the floor and the ceiling is huge... like 30 or 40 mil. It's not chump change. 

We've seen this happen already this offseason the Jets had the room to splash but they didn't. WHoever Idzik signs will be below market value. Even if it's the highest paid player on the team (Decker) 

In the end it will come down to what it always does- Does Geno show the improvement we need this year or not. If not then Idzik is back looking for that starter that can rise us to the next level- that is your splash

the difference between the floor and the ceiling is huge... like 30 or 40 mil. It's not chump change.

We've seen this happen already this offseason the Jets had the room to splash but they didn't. WHoever Idzik signs will be below market value. Even if it's the highest paid player on the team (Decker)

It's 89% of the cap over 3 years. Basically, about 116 mil against a 130 cap. That's $14mil a yr at the most he can save. I doubt Woody is licking his chomps over such pocket change (for him).

Woody has almost always had teams at the edge of the salary cap n if he wanted to save 10-15 mil against the cap, Tanny wouldn't have lasted here for 7 yrs as a GM.

This was a discussion on the podcast tonight. I don't think Idzik does anything splash-like unless he's in the market for a QB. I think he's too conservative in nature, and too value driven. He needs to get the best of every deal, and it's hard to make deals with others when you're not very good at the give part of give and take.

With two full drafts under his belt, and not a single draft day trade, I think we can establish a trend. There was talk that he tried to move in both directions in both drafts, but was unable to make a deal. He's a tough negotiator, maybe too tough.

I also think he puts a lot of thought into bust potential, especially with his high picks. Milliner was a value pick at a need, and Sheldon was one of those planet picks with the size and speed that makes it hard to go wrong. This year, he may've been slightly distracted by Manziel, but it was probably down to Pryor or Cooks. Who's more likely to bust there? The undersized WR, or the hard hitting safety? Like Milliner and Richardson, he took the top prospect at his respective position in Pryor. I think he likes that, too.

He's also right on board with the ground and pound. Physicality is the key. Signed another veteran RB this year, and a big WR. Then went defense with two of his first three picks, with the third being the big TE. As much of a weapon Cooks might've potentially been, Pryor fits the team personality a lot better.

I think if he's in the market for a QB, he might be able to make a trade for the first pick of the draft - if only because he'll have weeks to negotiate it rather than ten minutes. But I think these last two years are what the future is going to bring. Value shopping in free agency, an attempt to collect comp picks, and then sitting tight and picking when it's his turn. When he has to spend money, he'll spend it to keep the guys he wants to keep.

Adding the JN Radio Podcast link:  http://www.jetnation.com/2014/05/14/new-york-jets-draft-recap-a-show-for-ny-jets-fans/

Nice write up and I agree with most of it. I think Idzik's philosophy is to build the lines first for depth and fill in the skill positions with low risk propositions. I see Idzik adding an offensive lineman every year in the draft, and as far as I am concerned I'm fine with that. I believe that what really determines if you are a solid team or not is how your offensive and defensive line are. Last year both the offensive and defensive line of the Falcons were horrible, so they were horrible. Last year we obviously had a very good defensive line and an average offensive line, so we were on the low end of solid.

To move from a solid team to a contending team the key is getting better play out of your Quarterbacks and skill positions. I think Idzik's philosophy is get either proven commodities or low risk players at the skill positions and have the group be better than the individual. For example, Geno in the second round was a low risk pick, taking Geno where he did was a value pick and there are less expectations (not a lot less) because he was a second round pick instead of the #13 overall pick. A different example is Decker, he's a proven commodity, so we opened the wallet a bit to bring him here. He's another low risk move becuase there is a lower likelihood that he won't work out due to his track record. And the last examples are the WRs he drafted this year. If we drafted a WR in the first or second round we would expect immediate results from them, instead Idzik drafted three WRs late. These WRs were pretty productive in college, and frankly most of us don't know who they are so there is less pressure on them. So if they do well we are pleasantly surprised, much like with Kerley. Less pressure on Idzik and the players and more darts thrown on the board hoping that one will hit the bullseye.  

Idzik is trying to build a core that he can continue to replenish every year through the draft, and it starts with having solid lines. You won't see Idzik trade all around during the draft, because he is a hard negotiator and I'm assuming he likes everything planned out. I don't think he is a very spotaneous person, so he is not someone who will pull the trigger quickly in the draft room out of fear that he is not getting the best deal.

To me it's a simple philosophy, build from the inside out. Once the inside is solid then work on the outside by taking a lot of shots at it, until it works. I like what Idzik's doing, he's not overpaying, not taking risks that will hurt them in the future, and building the team internally. It's what the Steelers always seem to do, and it seems like a pretty solid philosophy.

He had a slow start to free agency this year, but I don't have a lot of complaints. I didn't expect Decker. I still feel he missed on the CB, hopefully this McDougle kid is the real deal.

No, they won't have comp picks next year I don't think. The following year, though, they could be in line for another haul. Harris, Vick, Patterson, Wilson, Colon, Powell, Kerley, Bellore, Ellis, and Douzable are all coming to the end of their contracts. Who are they keeping out of that list? Kerley and Douzable, maybe? Maybe that's another reason to've spent more money in free agency this year, because next year I can see Idzik passing on free agents whose contracts have expired, and targeting cut players to maximize those comp picks once again.

It does feel like he missed out on CB, but I am not sure.  I would rather go into the season with Patterson and flexibility than paying DRC who I am not that fond of. Public perception is we need CB, but I'd rather a GM than gets players than appeases fans and the owner.  I am not going to pretend I know anything about McDougle, but he is exactly the kind of guy that might be the real deal.  Of course, he also might be the boar hunter.

I have said this before, but I think compensatory picks are an every other year proposition.  You time contracts to expire at the same time and let guys walk that you don't need.  The other year you sign people.  They are aren't going to take picks away.  That is part of the reason I expected more of a FA frenzy this offseason.  Obviously you still have to keep players you want, but guys that are not in your long term plans like Bell, Slauson, Greene, you let walk. That also goes for guys you might want to keep, but want to upgrade like Howard. Of course if this theory were totally valid this would have been the offseason to lock up a guy like Howard, so maybe Idzik and I are not quite as simpatico as I thought. 

It's 89% of the cap over 3 years. Basically, about 116 mil against a 130 cap. That's $14mil a yr at the most he can save. I doubt Woody is licking his chomps over such pocket change (for him).

Woody has almost always had teams at the edge of the salary cap n if he wanted to save 10-15 mil against the cap, Tanny wouldn't have lasted here for 7 yrs as a GM.

14 mill is not pocket change for anyone. Even a billionaire like Woody. 

As you point out Woody has always had teams at the edge of the cap. Until this year when they pegged to the floor. Something has changed. 

Nice write up and I agree with most of it. I think Idzik's philosophy is to build the lines first for depth and fill in the skill positions with low risk propositions. I see Idzik adding an offensive lineman every year in the draft, and as far as I am concerned I'm fine with that. I believe that what really determines if you are a solid team or not is how your offensive and defensive line are. Last year both the offensive and defensive line of the Falcons were horrible, so they were horrible. Last year we obviously had a very good defensive line and an average offensive line, so we were on the low end of solid.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. So far, he hasn't drafted any OL higher than the third round, and I'm really okay with that approach. I think that perhaps outside of the LT position, OL should be taken later and developed. Plenty of Super Bowl OLs are built from UDFAs and late round picks. I actually expected a minimum of two more OL being drafted this year. To me, the fact that they didn't suggests that maybe they're a lot happier with Campbell and Aboushi than most fans are.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. So far, he hasn't drafted any OL higher than the third round, and I'm really okay with that approach. I think that perhaps outside of the LT position, OL should be taken later and developed. Plenty of Super Bowl OLs are built from UDFAs and late round picks. I actually expected a minimum of two more OL being drafted this year. To me, the fact that they didn't suggests that maybe they're a lot happier with Campbell and Aboushi than most fans are.

Where do they plan to play Aboushi?  Campbell and Aboushi are nice, but they took Dozier.  3 OGs are plenty, especially when none is your backup C.  It's Ijalana that they seem to have unusual confidence in.  He is the only other T and I don't know that Giacomini is particularly durable.  They did quickly add a couple of UDFA OTs, but unless they like Aboushi at T they didn't add much.  In fact most of the "futures" guys they signed were guards.  Maybe they also consider the swing potential of Dozier.

I didn't say he was going to take olineman early, I was just saying that he will take an onlineman every year to have depth on the line. And I agree, except for the blind side tackle, you can take olineman in the third round or above and allow them to develop and they can still be at the very least reliable, Brandon Moore who wasn't even drafted is a great example.

Where do they plan to play Aboushi?  Campbell and Aboushi are nice, but they took Dozier.  3 OGs are plenty, especially when none is your backup C.  It's Ijalana that they seem to have unusual confidence in.  He is the only other T and I don't know that Giacomini is particularly durable.  They did quickly add a couple of UDFA OTs, but unless they like Aboushi at T they didn't add much.  In fact most of the "futures" guys they signed were guards.  Maybe they also consider the swing potential of Dozier.

the Jets (like the Seahawks) look to be set up to carry 10 OL. 2 full lines

1st team

LT Brick

LG Winters

C Mangold

RG Colon

RT Breno 

2nd team 

LT Ijalana

LG Dozier

C Schlauderaff

RG Campbell 

RT Aboushi

There's wiggle room there (Aboushi and the Raff could be beat out by UDFAs) but that's pretty much how i see it

1st team

LT Brick

LG Winters

C Mangold

RG Colon

RT Breno 

2nd team 

LT Ijalana

LG Dozier

C Schlauderaff

RG Campbell 

RT Aboushi

There's wiggle room there (Aboushi and the Raff could be beat out by UDFAs) but that's pretty much how i see it

I don't know how much faith we have in Schlauderaff at this point. Dozier probably gets tested out at center during camp and if it looks like he can cut it we'll start grooming him.

I think we still make some sort of move in July or August for someone. There is no way this organization can be this comfortable with Aboushi being both our swing tackle and primary backup.

I think we still make some sort of move in July or August for someone. There is no way this organization can be this comfortable with Aboushi being both our swing tackle and primary backup.

Ben Ijalana is higher on the depth chart than Aboushi. He's the swing tackle probably. 

1st team

LT Brick

LG Winters

C Mangold

RG Colon

RT Breno 

2nd team 

LT Ijalana

LG Dozier

C Schlauderaff

RG Campbell 

RT Aboushi

Did they work Aboushi at T?  I thought they were working him at G. I think they will keep at least 10, but some may be practice squad or, like Campbell last year, not often active. From what I remember people thought that Aboushi was weak and that he would either suck or be helped immensely by an offseason in a real strength program.  Hopefully he looks like player this year, even if it is just a backup.

I don't know how much faith we have in Schlauderaff at this point. Dozier probably gets tested out at center during camp and if it looks like he can cut it we'll start grooming him.

I don't have any faith in Schlauderaff at this point, but I do not expect Dozier to play C at all. He was a college T, maybe he can play C, but I think they see him as a future starting G.  Maybe the not too distant future. I can't see them monkeying with him too much at C unless they plan for him to backing up for a long time. Like Bit says I think Ijalana is ahead of Aboushi.  He certainly seemed to be active for more games. 

14 mill is not pocket change for anyone. Even a billionaire like Woody. 

As you point out Woody has always had teams at the edge of the cap. Until this year when they pegged to the floor. Something has changed. 

The only thing that has changed is the new CBA, which allows for left over cap to rollover in to the next yr. Idzik is running the offseason strategically with 2015 and beyond in his mind. Just because u have the cap, doesn't mean you have to use it. We had pretty much ZERO cap last yr. If Woody was so hellbent on saving money off the cap, he would've asked Idzik to make some cuts last year to save him 10+ mil. He didn't.

And $14mil isn't making Woody poor...or rich.

I don't have any faith in Schlauderaff at this point, but I do not expect Dozier to play C at all. He was a college T, maybe he can play C, but I think they see him as a future starting G. Maybe the not too distant future. I can't see them monkeying with him too much at C unless they plan for him to backing up for a long time. Like Bit says I think Ijalana is ahead of Aboushi. He certainly seemed to be active for more games.

Dozier was definitely drafted for the interior. I would assume they'll probably check him out at center because Mangold's salary is an issue we're going to have to deal with in 2015 or 2016 and Schladeraff isn't very good in that spot. If he can cut it at LG I'd guess that will be the priority since positionally it's a higher value spot.

I don't even know what to make of the backups. On paper it looks like we're completely ****ed if anyone gets injured, which is why I think we'll probably have a late addition somewhere along the line.

Dozier was definitely drafted for the interior. I would assume they'll probably check him out at center because Mangold's salary is an issue we're going to have to deal with in 2015 or 2016 and Schladeraff isn't very good in that spot. If he can cut it at LG I'd guess that will be the priority since positionally it's a higher value spot.

I don't even know what to make of the backups. On paper it looks like we're completely ****ed if anyone gets injured, which is why I think we'll probably have a late addition somewhere along the line.

I don't really see Dozier as a center. I would imagine the hope there is that Dalton Freeman takes the backup job from Schlauderaff. Same for Aboushi over Ijalana at tackle. He didn't look good in the preseason last year, but we kept him on the active roster for a full redshirt season, and putting him up against a guy with Ijalana's injury history for emergency duty seems like a fixed competition. You can debate the merit of the UVa left tackle pedigree generally, but it at minimum means that he held off Morgan Moses for the job. Same thing with Campbell. I think Dozier can give Winters a run, but I really don't see cutting ties with Campbell even if Dozier just wins the backup job. I assume we'd at least give Rex a chance to see if he can do something with him on defense, because he's just too good an athlete not to be put to use somehow. End of the day we swap out Vlad and Schlauderaff for Dozier and Freeman, promote Aboushi to swing tackle, and give his redshirt slot to Enunwa.

Archived