God, what a perfect blitz.

GhostOfGlennFoley

So, I've been pretty famished for football, and last weeks draft only served to fuel the fire. As a result, I've been watching plays from this past season, and I can't believe I never noticed this one.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap2000000249262/Jets-defense-sack-3-yd-loss

Perfect execution. Look at Barnes and Pace peel back into coverage essentially leaving three linemen blocking one guy. Though I do miss the Cover 0 blitzes we use to run when we had Revis, I absolutely love this simulated pressure stuff. Not sure if it'd work against the elite guys, but against younger QBs it's perfect.

Yeah, that was beautiful. 

BTW I keep forgetting to post this - DeMario Davis is a stud. He's the breakout guy on defense this year. This defense at this point is going to kind of funnel the cleanup part of the job to him and Pryor. 

Yeah, that was beautiful. 

BTW I keep forgetting to post this - DeMario Davis is a stud. He's the breakout guy on defense this year. This defense at this point is going to kind of funnel the cleanup part of the job to him and Pryor. 

I wouldn't sleep on Coples or Barnes (at full health). 

God, that play design was perfect. Love that Rex blitzed our inside backers and had our typical rush guys drop back into coverage. What's even more impressive is that Wilk is able to get some penetration even though he was triple teamed. I don't remember the exact play, but I imagine that Manuel shifted his protection to the left to account for Barnes and Pace. I vaguely remember Rex using a similar strategy against Brady in Week 2 of 2009, if anyone would care to elaborate?

Rex is a defensive genius. Without him this season we would be looking at 4-12.

With him, we are looking at 12-4.

Yes, he is that good

No, no he isn't. He is a very very good defensive coach, but 8 games difference in record? Not even close, especially since under another coach we would have a better offense which would account for a good amount of the defensive shortfall.

Infinitely more confident in Davis. He's the most complete linebacker on the roster. Quietly was excellent last year. 

Coples quietly had a much better season than some fans are giving him credit for. I expect the whole Front 7 to take a step up.

Coples quietly had a much better season than some fans are giving him credit for. I expect the whole Front 7 to take a step up.

With what he has around him if Coples is slightly above average he should have a great season.  Loving the thought of Barnes coming back as well.

With what he has around him if Coples is slightly above average he should have a great season.

That's true. Of course, given that the best he's managed despite playing under Rex on a line with three monster tackles is barely mediocre, why would we dare to hope for slightly above average? Coples is going to get his big stupid ass tortoise/hared by IK Enemkpali if he isn't careful.

I think that something that needs to be kept in mind when discussing Coples is how vital he's been to the run defense. Sure, any team that's trying to run up the middle against the Sons of Anarchy is going to have trouble, but Pace and Coples have both been imperative to setting the edge. Sure, he hasn't developed gaudy numbers, but he has contributed in a lot of ways. I'd love to see him develop into a ten sack guy, but not every first round pick is going to be Von Miller. Sometimes you get guys like Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis, who were both above average players for years.

I think that something that needs to be kept in mind when discussing Coples is how vital he's been to the run defense. Sure, any team that's trying to run up the middle against the Sons of Anarchy is going to have trouble, but Pace and Coples have both been imperative to setting the edge. Sure, he hasn't developed gaudy numbers, but he has contributed in a lot of ways. I'd love to see him develop into a ten sack guy, but not every first round pick is going to be Von Miller. Sometimes you get guys like Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis, who were both above average players for years.

Yep

That's true. Of course, given that the best he's managed despite playing under Rex on a line with three monster tackles is barely mediocre, why would we dare to hope for slightly above average? Coples is going to get his big stupid ass tortoise/hared by IK Enemkpali if he isn't careful.

Well his rep coming out of college is exactly what he has lived up to.  I hope he matures and I think the injury last year really set him back.  He did seem to be settling in at the end of his rookie year.

Archived