Calvin Pryor delivers smacks -- talks it, too

F.Chowds

Pryor is off to a fast start in rookie camp. Rex Ryan praised his mental aptitude, his ability to digest information and take it to the field. Ryan called Pryor the most impressive player in camp, which is what you'd expect from the 18th overall pick. 
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Calvin Pryor doesn't wear a mouthpiece because he doesn't want anything to restrict his yap. The New York Jets' No. 1 pick was a self-proclaimed trash talker in college, and he's not planning to hit the mute button now that he's in the NFL. The hard-hitting safety said Saturday he won't back down against the top receivers, not even against, say, Larry Fitzgerald

"He's human, right?" Pryor said. "I would have no problem with it at all. ... With me being a rookie, that doesn't mean anything. I am who I am. I'm going to talk trash. If people don't like it, they're going to have to get used to it.

The cerebral aspect to the game is important, but Pryor made his name in college based on intimidation -- verbal and physical. He talked smack, and smacked opponents with bone-jarring hits. 

"When you're out there and you can talk trash and get into a guy's head, it affects their game a little bit," he said. "That's the main reason why I do it. It's nothing personal against them. It's who I am as a football player. 

"You talk trash and you go out there and play crazy and hit guys hard, it's an intimidation factor," Pryor continued. "It's like, 'This guy means what he says.'" 

Presumably, Pryor will start at one safety spot, withDawan Landry or Antonio Allen at the other position. Many have assumed that it'll be Pryor and Landry, the most experienced returning player in the secondary, but it sounds as if Landry could be headed to a reserve role. There had been some speculation after the draft that Landry's roster spot was in jeopardy. Ryan put that to rest -- he called him a "vital member" of th defense -- but he didn't commit to Landry as a starter.

"Landry is going to play a ton, whether it's a clear-cut starter or whatever you want to say ... he'll play," Ryan said. "He'll play in some capacity, and he might end up playing more than any of the other safeties." 

One thing is clear: Pryor is the new top dog. 

"There will be a lot of jerseys sold with Pryor's name on the back, because I have a feeling he'll become one of the more popular Jets," Ryan said.

He's my pick for defensive penalties leader.

Negativity. Who the hell makes bets on which team member is going to have the most penalties? Pryor will be a stud and he will help fill a leadership role on the Jets. Watch this defense get nasty. 

LL

He's my pick for defensive penalties leader.

Ya know I thought the same thing, then I watched an interview where he said he always uses his shoulder, and I didn't believe it.

I watched a lot of his tape this morning and it's true, he uses his shoulder. I don't know how he still has a shoulder. Still will probably get a few penalties though

I'm an a$$hole

Lol...I guess the first part of recovery is admitting it. Mick, just have some faith man, I have a feeling that this year is going to be good for the Jets. Now good could be anywhere between 9-7 to 12-4. I think they will go 10-6....and get in the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, you just never know.  

LL

Lol...I guess the first part of recovery is admitting it. Mick, just have some faith man, I have a feeling that this year is going to be good for the Jets. Now good could be anywhere between 9-7 to 12-4. I think they will go 10-6....and get in the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, you just never know.  

LL

35 years of ok, sh*t, good, sh*t, bad, bad, bad, complete sh*t, bad, good, oh so ******* close, good, bad, really you ******* a$$hole, good, bad, bad, wow we made it, damn again, ok we suck again,

It's kind of hard to be positive. I feel like a Redsox fan without the championships.

Archived