Young Wide Receivers Take The Field

JetNation

Shaq_EvansRookie minicamp will conclude on Sunday and all eyes are on the rookie wide receivers.  It is a position of need for the Jets.  Eric Decker was acquired via free agency and TE Jace Amaro (2nd round) will help in the passing game.  The Jets still need help at wideout.  Beyond Decker and Jeremy Kerley there are plenty of questions.  David Nelson and Stephen Hill will be vying for a starting job and Clyde Gates is in the mix as well.  The young wide receivers will set out to make a name for themselves.

On Saturday though, there were too many dropped passes at practice.

Joe Carlson was at the practice and he did comment on many of the dropped passes early.  There were also nice catches mixed in and Joe provided this recap on Twitter.

Quincy Enuwa is one of the rookies who took the field for the first time this weekend.  He was asked how he views the competition at wide receiver.

Oh well, making the squad on any NFL team is tough. I’m not going to think of it any differently. (I’ve) got to compete against whoever comes out there. And I’m going to compete and I’m going to do everything special teams, all the aspects of the game, just trying to find a way to get on the field.

Shaq Evans discussed the importance of improving at rookie minicamp.

That’s the main goal when you come to rookie minicamp is just to improve every day. Especially since I have to go back and finish school, I’m trying to get as much done while I’m here so when I get back I can be more advanced in the playbook and more advanced in our thought process.

For the wide receivers that are trying to make the roster, special teams can set them apart.  Enuwa was asked about special teams.

(It’s) very important. Being a sixth-round draft pick, that’s one of those rounds where you’ve really got to make sure you find a way to get on the field. You know I’m going to work regardless. I’m going to try to do special teams and if I can find a way to squeeze into the depth chart on the receiver side of the field I’m going to do that as well.

Please click the link to read our full NY Jets rookie minicamp reportquicky.

Now Enunwa seems to be saying all the right things. He understands that his road to the roster starts on special teams, and he sounds very willing to do whatever he can to get on the field.

Evans going back to finish school is an honorable thing, but often the guys who do that fall behind a little in camp. He'd be wise to find a role on specials, too, unless he intends to beat out Nelson and a Hill for a starting job.

Now Enunwa seems to be saying all the right things. He understands that his road to the roster starts on special teams, and he sounds very willing to do whatever he can to get on the field.

Evans going back to finish school is an honorable thing, but often the guys who do that fall behind a little in camp. He'd be wise to find a role on specials, too, unless he intends to beat out Nelson and a Hill for a starting job.

I think all three receivers are in for something of a redshirt year, with Enunwa landing on the practice squad while Hill gets one more year to prove himself. Saunders has to get into the weight room, and Evans is supposedly a project at this point. I wouldn't expect much from any of them right away unless Evans surprises.

a lot of times they leave a bunch of electives to finish.  leinart had a 5th year at SC where his class load was weightlifting and ballroom dancing or something like that

it's all good

Eric Decker was acquired via free agency and TE Jace Amaro (2nd round) will help in the passing game.

so a possible 3rd down package could be

decker

kerley

amaro

johnson

powell

vick

or

decker

kerley

one of the 17 WR's in camp

amaro

johnson

vick

file me under not losing sleep anymore

Eric Decker was acquired via free agency and TE Jace Amaro (2nd round) will help in the passing game.

decker

kerley

amaro

johnson

powell

vick

or

decker

kerley

amaro

johnson

vick

#onlymarginalimprovement

I think all three receivers are in for something of a redshirt year, with Enunwa landing on the practice squad while Hill gets one more year to prove himself. Saunders has to get into the weight room, and Evans is supposedly a project at this point. I wouldn't expect much from any of them right away unless Evans surprises.

Ordinarily, I'd think this is a pretty safe guess about a couple of fourths and a sixth rounder, but I'm not so sure this year. This was supposed to be a very deep draft at the position, so maybe they managed to find a player (or players) capable of contributing right away. They didn't take three WRs because they felt good about what they had. I think they'll all be given the opportunity to land a job. Saunders, in particular, will be given every chance to win the punt return job. They'd love to upgrade from Kerley there, while simultaneously taking him out of harm's way.

The other two guys are big and fast. Plenty of room for that kinda guy on specials. I don't think they'll have much of a problem with the idea of carrying six receivers on the roster, either. I agree that the Jets will want to give Hill one last chance, with their primary fallback option being Nelson, but it's not like those guys represent some insurmountable hurdle.

decker

kerley

amaro

johnson

powell

vick

or

decker

kerley

amaro

johnson

vick

I think we see a lot of two te packages this year. She decker, curly j, amaro, johnson, Cumberland and someone to run really fast in a straight line is probably the best line-up we can put out there.

I think we see a lot of two te packages this year. She decker, curly j, amaro, johnson, Cumberland and someone to run really fast in a straight line is probably the best line-up we can put out there.

agreed, and it's nice the jets are part of the modern NFL now with 2 TE's who can catch.  if saunders can be the "take the top off of the defense" guy, the jets might make some noise this year

I completely disagree. I think Saunders gets a lot of play as well as Evans, and Enunwa has a very good shot as well. All three could be on the roster and get a good amount of play time.

agreed, and it's nice the jets are part of the modern NFL now with 2 TE's who can catch.  if saunders can be the "take the top off of the defense" guy, the jets might make some noise this year

I think you may see some no huddle 21 formations as well with Saunders as the second RB. We could give teams nightmares with that package against base defense.

I don't know much about these guys, but from watching the highlights it looks like Evans and Enunwa were very limited in what they were asked the run.  They mostly just blew down the seam or up the sidelines, with an occasional dig. At least that is what they had success with.  It will be interesting to see how quickly they adapt to an NFL offense.    

Cumberland and Amaro at the same time is going to do nice thing for this offense. It'll open up Decker, or Decker will draw coverage from one of them, and one of our young receivers should be able to get involved as well. I think the big losers here are Hill and Kerley. Kerley doesn't have the wheels like Evans does.

I completely disagree. I think Saunders gets a lot of play as well as Evans, and Enunwa has a very good shot as well. All three could be on the roster and get a good amount of play time.

There's a lot of guys in the mix. I think Hill is on very thin ice. Evans and Enunwa have a good shot because of Special Teams. Saunders may end up returning punts, and I'd like to see someone 'take' the Kick Return duties from Gates. I'm not a fan of Gates, and would hope someone will be him out in competition.

There's a lot of guys in the mix. I think Hill is on very thin ice. Evans and Enunwa have a good shot because of Special Teams. Saunders may end up returning punts, and I'd like to see someone 'take' the Kick Return duties from Gates. I'm not a fan of Gates, and would hope someone will be him out in competition.

If Gates makes the team I will give Manish a ride home the next time I see him hitchhiking.

Archived