Woody likes his Rex Ryan

faba

Y Jets owner Woody Johnson's support for Rex Ryan only getting stronger Does Ryan need to make the playoffs to stick around for his seventh season? The Jets aren't answering that question, but clearly Ryan has built up some goodwill with his boss.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 9:31 PM
  •  
HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSRex Ryan (l.), whose Jets have missed playoffs last three years, only has short-term commitment from Woody Johnson.

ATLANTA — Woody Johnson envisions Rex Ryan sticking around the Jets for a long time and says he would never threaten him by insisting he must end his playoff drought to keep his job.

In the Jets owner’s conversation with the Daily News on Tuesday, it was clear that his bond with Ryan has gotten stronger even though the team has missed the playoffs the last three years after getting to the AFC title game in each of Ryan’s first two seasons.

When I asked Johnson if he believes Ryan, who is entering his sixth season, is one of those rare coaches who can make it to 10 seasons with the same team, he answered without hesitation.

“Absolutely. Yeah, absolutely,” he said. “Continuity in coaching is extremely important. I will say the team responds extremely well to Rex. He’s a good leader.”

Johnson, however, didn’t necessarily back up his words with the contract extension he gave Ryan at the end of last season. Ryan’s second contract with the Jets was due to expire after the 2014 season. And with the Jets struggling at 5-7 and rumors circulating that first-year GM John Idzik wanted his own coach, Ryan won three of his last four games.

After the finale in Miami, the Jets announced Ryan would be back. The Jets initially wanted to give him just a one-year extension, but they settled on a multi-year deal in mid-January through at least 2016, but the contract is not fully guaranteed after 2015. It is filled with playoff incentives.

Basically, Ryan is back in the same situation he was in going into the 2013 season — two guaranteed years remaining. Teams historically make decisions with one year left. That means Johnson and Idzik must make another Ryan ruling after this season.

Why didn’t Johnson, who raved about Ryan’s teaching skills, give his coach more security?

“I’m not going to talk about contracts,” Johnson said. “I never talk about contracts.”

Ryan’s deal gives Johnson and Idzik an escape hatch without a heavy financial burden if Ryan makes it four years in a row without a playoff appearance. Clearly, Johnson is comfortable with Ryan and wants him to stick around. But everything in the NFL must be earned. Not many coaches can survive four years in a row without a playoff appearance.

Johnson has a history with Ryan. He doesn’t want to make a change.

“I know him pretty well,” he said.

Ryan is Johnson’s fourth coach since buying the Jets in 2000. Al Groh quit after one season to coach at Virginia, his alma mater. Herm Edwards lasted five seasons before he was fired/traded to the Chiefs. Eric Mangini was fired after three seasons. Idzik is Johnson’s fourth GM, following Bill Parcells, Terry Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum.

It was assumed Idzik would hire his own coach this season after keeping Ryan last season was a condition of his employment when he was hired in January of 2013. But Idzik and Ryan have established a good working relationship. Ryan has toned down his act — no more Super Bowl predictions, unfortunately — and has tried to conform to Idzik’s conservative style.

“I think they respect each other and they trust each other,” Johnson said. “And the results will be forthcoming and I’m encouraged.”

Just nine current head coaches have been with their teams longer than Ryan has been with the Jets. He is the 17th head coach in Jets history and only Weeb Ewbank (11 seasons) and Joe Walto n (seven) have coached the team longer. Walt Michaels also coached six years. Only Groh and Parcells had a better winning percentage.

But does Ryan need to make the playoffs to stick around for his seventh season?

“We’re not making any comments like that,” Johnson said. “We’re going to go like we always do, one game at a time. I’m not going to threaten anybody.”

He wants Ryan to stay a long time. But it’s not guaranteed.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it.  Rex is the closest thing I've ever seen to an NFL coach that actually cares about the team he's coaching.  He's not a cookie cutter robot, and his success shows that he has a pretty damn good idea what he's doing.  For all the Rex bashers, show me how many "greats" won a SB right away.  How long did it take Bilichik and Cowher, who most people would say are better than Rex?  Tomlin got one pretty quick but he did that with the SB roster he inherited, and same for Gruden who got one with TB in his first season having inherited arguably the best defense in the NFL.  

I love it.  Rex is the closest thing I've ever seen to an NFL coach that actually cares about the team he's coaching.  He's not a cookie cutter robot, and his success shows that he has a pretty damn good idea what he's doing.  For all the Rex bashers, show me how many "greats" won a SB right away.  How long did it take Bilichik and Cowher, who most people would say are better than Rex?  Tomlin got one pretty quick but he did that with the SB roster he inherited, and same for Gruden who got one with TB in his first season having inherited arguably the best defense in the NFL.

In Gruden's defense, he may very well have won one the year before if not for the tuck rule play.  The team he left behind, and was instrumental in building, was good enough to get to the SB with Bill Callahan.  The SB team was 9-7 before he got there, and had to surrender their 1st and 2nd rounders in both the SB year and the year after to Oakland. TB's defense the prior 2 years finished 8th and 7th.  They improved by 5 full PPG surrendered after Dungy left.  And he lost Warrick Dunn, replacing him with Michael Pittman.  (Incidentally, look how much better Dunn's career went after getting away from Dungy despite 5 years of prior beatings-baggage.)  In addition to the 2 #1 and 2 #2 picks for Gruden, don't forget Tampa also traded 2 #1 picks for Keyshawn. That's a lot of block-building to deprive a roster of.

Tampa's prior 2 seasons were wild card losses and they got the piss beat out of them both times.  So I'd say Gruden did more than just go along for the ride.  There's a good chance he'd have won one with the Raiders team had he stayed there.  Maybe 2 if not for the tuck rule robbing them his last year there.  And I'm not even a particular fan of Gruden's.  But I'll allow him that he would be preferable if the other option is Dungy.  Dungy = most overrated HC of all time.

In Gruden's defense, he may very well have won one the year before if not for the tuck rule play.  The team he left behind, and was instrumental in building, was good enough to get to the SB with Bill Callahan.  The SB team was 9-7 before he got there, and had to surrender their 1st and 2nd rounders in both the SB year and the year after to Oakland. TB's defense the prior 2 years finished 8th and 7th.  They improved by 5 full PPG surrendered after Dungy left.  And he lost Warrick Dunn, replacing him with Michael Pittman.  (Incidentally, look how much better Dunn's career went after getting away from Dungy despite 5 years of prior beatings-baggage.)  In addition to the 2 #1 and 2 #2 picks for Gruden, don't forget Tampa also traded 2 #1 picks for Keyshawn. That's a lot of block-building to deprive a roster of.

Tampa's prior 2 seasons were wild card losses and they got the piss beat out of them both times.  So I'd say Gruden did more than just go along for the ride.  There's a good chance he'd have won one with the Raiders team had he stayed there.  Maybe 2 if not for the tuck rule robbing them his last year there.  And I'm not even a particular fan of Gruden's.  But I'll allow him that he would be preferable if the other option is Dungy.  Dungy = most overrated HC of all time.

Oh I absolutely agree on Gruden.  He was a very good HC who could have easily won it the year before.  He was definitely the reason the Bucs won it becuase they needed a coach who was willing to open things up a little bit on offense.  Tony Dungy had an all-world defense for years in TB and never tried to score TD's.  Even as much as people say Rex is too old school, he finally hired an OC who opens things up and gets creative.  I'm not trying to knock Gruden at all, but pointing out the fact that it often takes the best coach many years of success and failure before they finally get it.  When they win one quickly, it's usually becuase they didn't inherit a roster that was low on talent which is what Gruden and Tomlin had.

Oh I absolutely agree on Gruden.  He was a very good HC who could have easily won it the year before.  He was definitely the reason the Bucs won it becuase they needed a coach who was willing to open things up a little bit on offense.  Tony Dungy had an all-world defense for years in TB and never tried to score TD's.  Even as much as people say Rex is too old school, he finally hired an OC who opens things up and gets creative.  I'm not trying to knock Gruden at all, but pointing out the fact that it often takes the best coach many years of success and failure before they finally get it.  When they win one quickly, it's usually becuase they didn't inherit a roster that was low on talent which is what Gruden and Tomlin had.

Dungy's last season with Tampa featured a  Bucs team that quit in a blowout playoff loss against the Eagles.

At a total loss how going from 28th to 29th in points scored constitutes anything approaching an improved offense.

At a total loss how going from 28th to 29th in points scored constitutes anything approaching an improved offense.

With last year's offensive talent and inexperience, I think there was little that was going to show a dramatic improvement. While they're not going to make anyone suddenly forget about the (pre-superbowl) 2013 Broncos, I do expect to see a very noticeable improvement this year.

Dungy's last season with Tampa featured a  Bucs team that quit in a blowout playoff loss against the Eagles.

I was referring to the change in offensive philosiphy in TB, which is also what happened in going from Sporano to MM.  If  you have no talent on offense, it doesn't matter what you run, but if you upgrade at the offensive skill positions, there should be a significant improvement as long as the QB stops turning it over.

Way to contribute. Love it.

This article is silly. It's Woody throwing platitudes at his coach, whom he knows is gone if this season goes bad. He'd have been toast this year if he didn't beat an anarchic Dolphin team to end the season.

This article is silly. It's Woody throwing platitudes at his coach, whom he knows is gone if this season goes bad. He'd have been toast this year if he didn't beat an anarchic Dolphin team to end the season.

That's an interesting point. I don't agree with it. I think that geno starting gave rex a built in mulligan. I think the fact that they beat a few good teams and won a bunch of games is why he is back.

Really?  Then why'd they tell him he was being retained during that week before the game took place?

Rex bashers? Are there really any Jet fans alive that don't love Rex? As far as Im concerned the only redeeming quality Woody has is that he loves Rex.

Lol, wishful thinking.

Rex is a good coach, who is not only loved by the owner, but is on the exact same page philosophically as the new GM. It's gonna take a lot to get him out of there.

If Rex stays out of the offensive side he will be successful, right now

he's another Marty Schottenhiemer, and Buddy Ryan, but I think he learned

his lesson with that offensive slump he and Lynn engineered last season,

stay the hell out of the offense and Rex has a chance. I think he learned

the same thing about Lynn last year, by the end of the season playcalling

and game planning appeared to be in MM's hands, and things changed

drastically from the Rex/Lynn philosophy.

Lol, wishful thinking.

Rex is a good coach, who is not only loved by the owner, but is on the exact same page philosophically as the new GM. It's gonna take a lot to get him out of there.

Fwiw, he'll be here forever because his defense will get us 7-8 wins every year there's not an implosion on offense. Aka: purgatory

I seriously love Rex Ryan and think he is the guy to finally bring glory home for the NY Jets. And not just because JetNation gave me a Rex Ryan Autographed game ball a few years ago either!  :D

VIVA LA REX!! 

The day Woody Johnson shuts the **** up and I don't have to hear anything out of whiny bitch mouth will be a good day.

The less out of his mouth, and Rex's, the better. Watching Woody speaking to the picks in the War room was making me wretch. He needs to fade away lest he puts some input into the team.

The day Woody Johnson shuts the **** up and I don't have to hear anything out of whiny bitch mouth will be a good day.

The less out of his mouth, and Rex's, the better. Watching Woody speaking to the picks in the War room was making me wretch. He needs to fade away lest he puts some input into the team.

This is the only poster I don't have on "ignore" currently.

If Rex stays out of the offensive side he will be successful, right now

he's another Marty Schottenhiemer, and Buddy Ryan, but I think he learned

his lesson with that offensive slump he and Lynn engineered last season,

stay the hell out of the offense and Rex has a chance. I think he learned

the same thing about Lynn last year, by the end of the season playcalling

and game planning appeared to be in MM's hands, and things changed

drastically from the Rex/Lynn philosophy.

I think it was a bit more than that. Smith was seriously awful, and his already-bad receiving corps was largely knocked out on top of that, which didn't help any. When a QB is posting passer ratings in the school speed limit range, with completion percentages to match, having him throw even more isn't likely to help the team's cause. All you can hope is that the ground game carries you and the D doesn't collapse.

He certainly got better from the Oakland game onward, but he was hardly awesome. If he can gain 50 yards on the ground - largely on what would have otherwise been busted pass plays - it'll go a long way towards covering up his shortcomings. I have confidence MM will be able to come up with something so we can move the ball and score with better consistency.

Rex has never had a good QB on the roster, but has had some solid ground attacks and defenses. Though I have little doubt that running the ball and stingy defense is his comfort zone, it would be silly to launch an aerial attack in those situations anyway.

Guys, Rex is confident. Rex is a charismatic leader. Rex has led us to two AFC Conf. games. Rex has not had a good QB in any of his years as coach. I am confident that Rex will sport a good defense, the offense has always been the issue....Marty Morningweg is a good OC. I am confident that Marty, if left alone, can continue rebuilding the O. We have better offensive tools than we did last year, let's be positive. I believe in Rex and the team...10-6 this year plus playoffs.

LL

Woody's faith in Rex is not misplaced. Rex had a basically talentless team (at least on offense) playing spoiler against the Dolphins when the Jets were already out of the playoffs. Most teams roll over and play dead in that spot. Not to mention his record against top QBs, somehow he beat Brees and Brady last year.

Woody's faith in Rex is not misplaced. Rex had a basically talentless team (at least on offense) playing spoiler against the Dolphins when the Jets were already out of the playoffs. Most teams roll over and play dead in that spot. Not to mention his record against top QBs, somehow he beat Brees and Brady last year.

Sure, but why hasn't he magicked a QB together? If he REALLY knew how to coach then he would draft better players for this offense. 

I will readily admit that Ryan is a good defensive coch, better than Edwards, Groh or Mangini(do you see a trend here about what this franchise overvalues in a coach? in draft picks? ). The central conceit of all this Rex loving is the guy, like his father, is worthless when it comes to offense. Again, you can overvalue the wins in December vs. the hapless Browns and Dolphins. That is the definition of a small sample size. The Big Picture which no one can refute is the Points Per Game went from 28th to 29th.Morninheg certainly apers t have a better grasp of things, but the stats aren't showing dramatic improvement.

So our coach in 5 years is a nonfactor when it comes to offense, Keep in mind that what ever you think about Bellicheat at least recognize a successful head coach has to understand the other side of the ball. Heck, if you're a defensive coach a least you might recognize how a good offense might attack any defense. Our guy doesn't do that . And he needs all the top picks spare the biggest mistake in Pick 6. But recall he was all in on that debacle.

WRECKS IS GREAT! YEAH! WOO HOO!

Archived