Woody likes his Rex Ryan

faba

it's cocktail napkin math. my point is just wanting it and firing people every 5 years is not enough. Rex does what he does if the team can get better on offense (without his help) they can do something. If they fire him they have no offense AND no defense. How does that help their chances?

How, oh how, would we ever carry on without Rex? This level of mediocrity that we've been able to sustain, I just can't imagine that as something attainable with any other coach in the world. Nay, in the HISTORY of the world.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How, oh how, would we ever carry on without Rex? This level of mediocrity that we've been able to sustain, I just can't imagine that as something attainable with any other coach in the world. Nay, in the HISTORY of the world.

but if we fire him the next guy will be ray handley I mean come on

and how will our guys know how to play defense i mean come on

Without the Ryan family, defense in the NFL would be impossible. No one else knows what they're doing. And really isn't that enough? This scoring points thing is totally overrated.

Keeping Geno and not drafting Manziel is a classic example of shortsighted throwing good money after bad.It's the most important position and if you have a bad QB you wind up trying to make up for it everywhere else.Smith is a bad QB and the jets historically have wasted draft picks like most people change socks.

Yeah, Until Johnny Cleveland busts and Pryor is a pro bowl regular. I'm sure that was Idzik's main concern, that Manziel was no sure thing. This wasn't Andrew Luck coming out, there were a lot of QB needy teams who passed on him. Seems a little ridiculous to bitch about before we even know if the guy can play at the NFL level. 

Rex sucks.

You love him.

But hey, Mark Sanchez was a bust so Rex doesn't do offense something something.  Like the great Pete Carroll, who didn't "do offense" until Russell Wilson landed in his lap.  Then this career loser of an NFL HC was suddenly the best coach in the NFL.  Funny how that works.

But continue with the "Rex inherited a 9-7 team" silliness.

You love him.

But hey, Mark Sanchez was a bust so Rex doesn't do offense something something. Like the great Pete Carroll, who didn't "do offense" until Russell Wilson landed in his lap. Then this career loser of an NFL HC was suddenly the best coach in the NFL. Funny how that works.

But continue with the "Rex inherited a 9-7 team" silliness.

No, you're right. It's an absolute coincidence that Rex has fielded the worst offense in the league every year he's been here. I mean, who can overcome cruel fate? When you really think about it, how did building an offense around Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, and Joe McKnight ever fail? As we all know, swagger is what makes a great player. The best part of this is that if Geno and the offense fails again this year, everyone just gets to blame Marty Mornhinweg. RexForever.

And spare the Pete Carroll whining. If Rex was the Seahawks coach, they'd still be rolling Matt Flynn out there at QB and blaming the GM for sticking poor Rex with Sidney Rice. Let Rex go try and run a program like USC for a decade where he can learn how to be a grown up coach who has to stand out in front of the team he put on the field and actually--gasp!--take responsibility for the outcome of a single game. The excuse-making for Rex here has long-ago surpassed the levels of willful denial that people once showered upon Herm. It's pathetic.

No, you're right. It's an absolute coincidence that Rex has fielded the worst offense in the league every year he's been here. I mean, who can overcome cruel fate? When you really think about it, how did building an offense around Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, and Joe McKnight ever fail? As we all know, swagger is what makes a great player. The best part of this is that if Geno and the offense fails again this year, everyone just gets to blame Marty Mornhinweg. RexForever.

And spare the Pete Carroll whining. If Rex was the Seahawks coach, they'd still be rolling Matt Flynn out there at QB and blaming the GM for sticking poor Rex with Sidney Rice. Let Rex go try and run a program like USC for a decade where he can learn how to be a grown up coach who has to stand out in front of the team he put on the field and actually--gasp!--take responsibility for the outcome of a single game. The excuse-making for Rex here has long-ago surpassed the levels of willful denial that people once showered upon Herm. It's pathetic.

If you say so. Of course, it was Pete Carroll that went gaga for Matt Flynn in the first place until he was so badly outplayed by a rookie that it was evident to everyone.  Incidentally, Rice was also hand-chosen by Carroll.  So was Mike Williams, Lendale White, and plenty of others like Chris Baker after we let him go and then after NE dumped him.  Then Carroll - far more the team's de facto GM than Ryan - hands him a multi-year contract for millions like he did with Mike Williams (lol).  But sure, he's a great offensive mind.

Carroll stepped in it with Wilson even more than Belichick did with Brady.  He was a complete loser of an NFL coach until Russell Wilson saved his career.  And that's even with lucking further into Lynch getting dumped 

But I suppose you're right.  I mean when a GM trades up to #5 to get a QB and hands him a $50M contract, surely Rex should have benched him for Kellen Clemens.  And then Mark Brunell.  Because the GM's buddy-buddy OC heard that Brunell really helped Drew Brees & stuff.  We totally had a Russell Wilson on the roster so clearly Rex would have benched him.

You actually believe this stuff, like our offense being worst in the league every year since Rex was hired.  With freaking Sanchez, the Jets were #17, #13, and #13 in scoring before the offense got gutted of every healthy asset.  Before Russell Wilson rescued his 7-9 per year career, Carroll could get his hand-picked offense to do no better than #23.

No, you're right. It's an absolute coincidence that Rex has fielded the worst offense in the league every year he's been here.

Sanchez is the primary reason that the offense has been as bad as it's been, and while Rex does bear his share of the blame for the decision to draft him in the first place, we're still mostly talking about one mistake here. I get that you're tired of the not my department stuff, but are you seriously going to tell me that Rex is the one who was supposed to know that you can't draft a quarterback with sixteen career starts?

If you say so. Of course, it was Pete Carroll that went gaga for Matt Flynn in the first place until he was so badly outplayed by a rookie that it was evident to everyone. Incidentally, Rice was also hand-chosen by Carroll. So was Mike Williams, Lendale White, and plenty of others like Chris Baker after we let him go and then after NE dumped him. Then Carroll - far more the team's de facto GM than Ryan - hands him a multi-year contract for millions like he did with Mike Williams (lol). But sure, he's a great offensive mind.

Carroll stepped in it with Wilson even more than Belichick did with Brady. He was a complete loser of an NFL coach until Russell Wilson saved his career. And that's even with lucking further into Lynch getting dumped

But I suppose you're right. I mean when a GM trades up to #5 to get a QB and hands him a $50M contract, surely Rex should have benched him for Kellen Clemens. And then Mark Brunell. Because the GM's buddy-buddy OC heard that Brunell really helped Drew Brees & stuff. We totally had a Russell Wilson on the roster so clearly Rex would have benched him.

You actually believe this stuff, like our offense being worst in the league every year since Rex was hired. With freaking Sanchez, the Jets were #17, #13, and #13 in scoring before the offense got gutted of every healthy asset. Before Russell Wilson rescued his 7-9 per year career, Carroll could get his hand-picked offense to do no better than #23.

You know who benched a $50 million dollar QB? Pete Carroll.

Sanchez is the primary reason that the offense has been as bad as it's been, and while Rex does bear his share of the blame for the decision to draft him in the first place, we're still mostly talking about one mistake here. I get that you're tired of the not my department stuff, but are you seriously going to tell me that Rex is the one who was supposed to know that you can't draft a quarterback with sixteen career starts?

I blame Rex for giving that sh*tty QB 62 starts, unchallenged and uncontested.

Hey Rex, you just went 8-8 and you're going to Disney world! Yeah!

Speaking of that reminds me of one of funniest self deprecating lines in Sports..

true story after the Bills just lost their 4th straight Super Bowl..a few weeks later Jim Kelly Bills QB was a presenter at ESPY's and when he came on stage he said: "Hi, I'm Jim Kelly and I'm going to EuroDisney"

Speaking of that reminds me of one of funniest self deprecating lines in Sports..

true story after the Bills just lost their 4th straight Super Bowl..a few weeks later Jim Kelly Bills QB was a presenter at ESPY's and when he came on stage he said: "Hi, I'm Jim Kelly and I'm going to EuroDisney"

I remember when the bills won the afc championship in 1993 and Kelly and Thurman Thomas were shoving 4 fingers in the cameras saying " four Super Bowls in a row, live with it america". And after they lost to the cowboys again and Thurman Thomas was crying I was laughing saying you lost four Super Bowls in a row, now live with that!

Yeah, Until Johnny Cleveland busts and Pryor is a pro bowl regular. I'm sure that was Idzik's main concern, that Manziel was no sure thing. This wasn't Andrew Luck coming out, there were a lot of QB needy teams who passed on him. Seems a little ridiculous to bitch about before we even know if the guy can play at the NFL level.

Suspect as Matt notes they locked in on Pryor and had no idea that Manziel would be there. They might not have even considered nor discussed it not expecting him to be there at 18. Now may be Manziel takes hits like RG3 and never gets there. I am not a scout. But I saw the Bama game(basically a pro defense) and the bowl game New Years' Eve. His size is comparable to Wilson and Brees.. He has a pro arm. He has "winner' written all over him. I saw his segement on ESPN with Gruden; when you get past the bravado and swagger he knows the game and he is gonna work hard. Not drafting him is gonna haunt us.And we didn't take him to assuage the tender ego of Geno F___ing Late 2nd ROund Draft Pick SMith? WTF? The poormouthing of Johnny Football is somewhere between wishful thinking and confirmation bias. Hope Pryor is good, but the Jets have whiffed a lot. A safety? He better be Ed Reed and then some.

In short Pryor over Manziel is overthinking things.

If you say so. Of course, it was Pete Carroll that went gaga for Matt Flynn in the first place until he was so badly outplayed by a rookie that it was evident to everyone.  Incidentally, Rice was also hand-chosen by Carroll.  So was Mike Williams, Lendale White, and plenty of others like Chris Baker after we let him go and then after NE dumped him.  Then Carroll - far more the team's de facto GM than Ryan - hands him a multi-year contract for millions like he did with Mike Williams (lol).  But sure, he's a great offensive mind.

Carroll stepped in it with Wilson even more than Belichick did with Brady.  He was a complete loser of an NFL coach until Russell Wilson saved his career.  And that's even with lucking further into Lynch getting dumped 

But I suppose you're right.  I mean when a GM trades up to #5 to get a QB and hands him a $50M contract, surely Rex should have benched him for Kellen Clemens.  And then Mark Brunell.  Because the GM's buddy-buddy OC heard that Brunell really helped Drew Brees & stuff.  We totally had a Russell Wilson on the roster so clearly Rex would have benched him.

You actually believe this stuff, like our offense being worst in the league every year since Rex was hired.  With freaking Sanchez, the Jets were #17, #13, and #13 in scoring before the offense got gutted of every healthy asset.  Before Russell Wilson rescued his 7-9 per year career, Carroll could get his hand-picked offense to do no better than #23.

Give Carroll this; when he saw what he ahd in Wilson he did not dilly dally about ditching Flynn forthwith.

Wrecks NEVER makes that move. Heck he wouldn't sit the fabulous Geno F---ing Smith to see if Simms can play in 2 meaningless games last December.So we have no idea if the solution might be on the bench right now. And Sanchez had to hit the screw the pooch/shat the bed exacta repeatedly to get benched.

Am I really reading this thread correctly??

Are there really Jet fans so distorted that they don't like Rex Ryan?

Seriously? This is insane. The man is top 3 coach in the NFL, and you guys are so ungrateful.

YEAH WRECKS IS GREAT! Jets improved from 28th to 29th in points scored. What....wait....uh....

YEAH WRECKS IS GREAT! Jets improved from 28th to 29th in points scored. What....wait....uh....

Most of the guys going gaga over Rex started watching the Jets during the Herm era. And if you compare Rex to Herm, Rex is great.

Give Carroll this; when he saw what he ahd in Wilson he did not dilly dally about ditching Flynn forthwith.

Wrecks NEVER makes that move. Heck he wouldn't sit the fabulous Geno F---ing Smith to see if Simms can play in 2 meaningless games last December.So we have no idea if the solution might be on the bench right now. And Sanchez had to hit the screw the pooch/shat the bed exacta repeatedly to get benched.

Huh? So now Matt Simms = Russell Wilson.

They did see Simms. Every day. The only ones who didn't were the fans who think their exposure to Simms = the team's.

Carroll had 2 QBs to choose from. Both were equally new to the team. The way I remember it, it was obvious to those who saw both in camp.

Suspect as Matt notes they locked in on Pryor and had no idea that Manziel would be there. They might not have even considered nor discussed it not expecting him to be there at 18. Now may be Manziel takes hits like RG3 and never gets there. I am not a scout. But I saw the Bama game(basically a pro defense) and the bowl game New Years' Eve. His size is comparable to Wilson and Brees.. He has a pro arm. He has "winner' written all over him. I saw his segement on ESPN with Gruden; when you get past the bravado and swagger he knows the game and he is gonna work hard. Not drafting him is gonna haunt us.And we didn't take him to assuage the tender ego of Geno F___ing Late 2nd ROund Draft Pick SMith? WTF? The poormouthing of Johnny Football is somewhere between wishful thinking and confirmation bias. Hope Pryor is good, but the Jets have whiffed a lot. A safety? He better be Ed Reed and then some.In short Pryor over Manziel is overthinking things.

Personally, I would've be pretty excited if the Jets drafted Manziel. There was an article posted here about how the Jets were keeping tabs on all the suspected first round QBs, and how that might mean the team was interested. If that article was true, then the Jets had discussed Manziel and the others, and (right or wrong) made the determination that he wasn't worth their first rounder. If nothing else, Idzik is a thorough dude. He was not taken by surprise when Manziel was there. He just didn't want him.

Now, hopefully Geno is the guy, Manziel isn't, or both. I think he passed because he has some faith in Geno and wants to see him in his better weaponized second year, and also didn't have much confidence that Manziel would be better. He may be looking at next year's class as having better QBs, too.

I said shortly after the draft that this non-pick is the one that could make Idzik look stupid. All I'm saying now is that that time hasn't come yet. Let's see these kids play -maybe- before making that determination.

Huh? So now Matt Simms = Russell Wilson.

They did see Simms. Every day. The only ones who didn't were the fans who think their exposure to Simms = the team's.

Carroll had 2 QBs to choose from. Both were equally new to the team. The way I remember it, it was obvious to those who saw both in camp.

Sperm, I have a world of respect for you. We disagree.Smith is horrible. We're supposed to throw a parade because he figured out to stop turning the ball over?Theya re scared to death when he passes on the rare occasions they even allow it. The Jets even know this or Vick is not here.

We have no idea what Matt Simms is or is not. Not you, not me not anybody. We know he has a big arm, we know he was a knucklehead in college who got screwed a bit by coaches moving around. We also know he has been around the NFL forever and between his dad and his brother perhaps has learned some things. But we don't know if he can or cannot play because this franchise decided to not give him a start or 3 last December in order to coddle precious Geno Late 2nd ROund Draft Pick Smith who they barely let pass at all. And they love him so much they brought in Mike Vick. Which is exactly what you can expect form scared pussyball offensive mastermind like Wrecks Ryan. He didn't want to be 2nd guessed, so why dare to see if may be you have something?"Mark Sanchez?Geno Smith gives us the best chance to...." Yeah, right.

Last thing-watch Geno shat Yankee Stadium up in his last Pinstripe Bowl game vs. the Orange. Watch Manziel vs. Bama or last New Years' Eve. And get back to me how certain you are that Geno is a player and Manziel is not.

Or simply remember the dazed and cofused look on SMith any time last season after another turnover.

Keeping Geno and not drafting Manziel is a classic example of shortsighted throwing good money after bad.It's the most important position and if you have a bad QB you wind up trying to make up for it everywhere else.Smith is a bad QB and the jets historically have wasted draft picks like most people change socks.

This logic is so moronic it's just downright insulting.

It's like saying the Dolphins were stupid for taking Tedd Ginn Jr. and not taking Brady Quinn, the common assertion at the time, instead they went John Beck. The whole debate turned out to be completely irrelevant because all 3 players sucked balls despite being drafted highly.

The draft is a crapshoot at the best of times, particularly at QB. Manziel is no Andrew Luck, the closest thing that there's been to a "sure thing" at that position lately. He could be the next ******* Colt McCoy for all anyone knows.

If Manziel and the Browns win the Superbowl while Geno and Pryor are playing in Canada then you can bitch all you want. But for now you and the rest of the draft experts please STFU and give the thing a chance to play out. 

This logic is so moronic it's just downright insulting.

It's like saying the Dolphins were stupid for taking Tedd Ginn Jr. and not taking Brady Quinn, the common assertion at the time, instead they went John Beck. The whole debate turned out to be completely irrelevant because all 3 players sucked balls despite being drafted highly.

The draft is a crapshoot at the best of times, particularly at QB. Manziel is no Andrew Luck, the closest thing that there's been to a "sure thing" at that position lately. He could be the next ******* Colt McCoy for all anyone knows.

If Manziel and the Browns win the Superbowl while Geno and Pryor are playing in Canada then you can bitch all you want. But for now you and the rest of the draft experts please STFU and give the thing a chance to play out. 

"You fail to score on 100% of the shots you don't take".

Wayne Gretzky

Sperm, I have a world of respect for you. We disagree.Smith is horrible. We're supposed to throw a parade because he figured out to stop turning the ball over?Theya re scared to death when he passes on the rare occasions they even allow it. The Jets even know this or Vick is not here.

We have no idea what Matt Simms is or is not. Not you, not me not anybody. We know he has a big arm, we know he was a knucklehead in college who got screwed a bit by coaches moving around. We also know he has been around the NFL forever and between his dad and his brother perhaps has learned some things. But we don't know if he can or cannot play because this franchise decided to not give him a start or 3 last December in order to coddle precious Geno Late 2nd ROund Draft Pick Smith who they barely let pass at all. And they love him so much they brought in Mike Vick. Which is exactly what you can expect form scared pussyball offensive mastermind like Wrecks Ryan. He didn't want to be 2nd guessed, so why dare to see if may be you have something?"Mark Sanchez?Geno Smith gives us the best chance to...." Yeah, right.

Last thing-watch Geno shat Yankee Stadium up in his last Pinstripe Bowl game vs. the Orange. Watch Manziel vs. Bama or last New Years' Eve. And get back to me how certain you are that Geno is a player and Manziel is not.

Or simply remember the dazed and cofused look on SMith any time last season after another turnover.

I hope you're not taking my tone personally.  You shouldn't.

Smith was terrible last year.  If the team really thought Simms was the answer to their prayers, or thought there was any reasonable expectation that this was possible, there is no chance that a leak about it   would have been contained.  The players see both QBs in practice every day also and there wasn't a hint of anything that anyone involved with the team thought Simms should be the starter.

To say "not anybody" ignores that the team's OC and QBC work with Simms on regular - if not daily - basis.  They have a very good idea of what he is and what he isn't.  Same with Carroll in Seattle.  They saw Wilson and saw Flynn and there was no dissent (other than from Flynn, I imagine, lol) that they should just go with Wilson now because Flynn stinks and they just guaranteed $10M to a scrub.  That the only thing that would be worse would be compounding the error by putting him on the field despite Wilson demonstrating that he's already better.  This didn't happen with Simms, who only narrowly beat out Greg McElroy for the #3 job (and even that may have been due to McElroy's injury, not to mention the team was still probably sore at him for breaking rank a year or two earlier).

See, the difference that gets glossed over in the 2 situations is that Wilson is outstanding, was good basically right away, and Smith - certainly to date - is not.  Neither is Simms. Neither was Sanchez (nor Clemens nor whoever else we've had).

You credit Carroll for making a swift decision and not dillydallying.  They held a competition between the two, same as the Jets did with Sanchez & Smith, and then way at the end of a summer of dillydallying on the position, on August 27th, Carroll finally announced Wilson would be the week 1 starter.  After that they didn't dillydally by leaving him in there.  Well that's pretty much the same thing that the Jets did.  Had they gone back & forth between Smith & Simms, then that would have been this unfavorable dillydallying you speak of.  I just think you have a memory of Seattle's 2012 summer that was different from the actual events as they unfolded.

Also you feel every unworthy, negative assessment of Simms (or whoever) is on Rex, despite behind-the-scenes pleas of sanity from Mornhinweg, Lee, and the players on the roster.  This is really what you think is going on? There were plenty of leaks and rumblings of disgruntled players (not to mention ex-players) courtesy of the Mehtas of the sportswriter world, and not one that I can recall was about how the guys who saw them every day thought Simms should be the starter.  

If the Jets - everyone on the team, not just Ryan - thought Simms was the goods, then they wouldn't have brought in 2 more QBs this year with the hopes of moving on from Simms, bumping him off the roster.  I don't know why you think otherwise.  It's not like the Jets, in 5 years under Ryan, have some long history of cutting/benching excellent players for inferior ones, and then these guys are just awesome for someone else.  The closest I can think of is Woodhead, who's only a role player anyway.  Actually, Ryan really seemed to like him (and mic'd up on Hard Knocks thought he was reliable as well), but Tannenbaum had already brought in LT, used 3 draft picks on Greene, and had just traded up to draft McKnight. 

This.  And its laughable to think he was going to bench the littley fairy for Clemens, Brunnel, Tebow, McElroy, etc.

Dudes a great coach, its really only bitter Jets fans that question him.

I hope you're not taking my tone personally. You shouldn't.

Smith was terrible last year. If the team really thought Simms was the answer to their prayers, or thought there was any reasonable expectation that this was possible, there is no chance that a leak about it would have been contained. The players see both QBs in practice every day also and there wasn't a hint of anything that anyone involved with the team thought Simms should be the starter.

To say "not anybody" ignores that the team's OC and QBC work with Simms on regular - if not daily - basis. They have a very good idea of what he is and what he isn't. Same with Carroll in Seattle. They saw Wilson and saw Flynn and there was no dissent (other than from Flynn, I imagine, lol) that they should just go with Wilson now because Flynn stinks and they just guaranteed $10M to a scrub. That the only thing that would be worse would be compounding the error by putting him on the field despite Wilson demonstrating that he's already better. This didn't happen with Simms, who only narrowly beat out Greg McElroy for the #3 job (and even that may have been due to McElroy's injury, not to mention the team was still probably sore at him for breaking rank a year or two earlier).

See, the difference that gets glossed over in the 2 situations is that Wilson is outstanding, was good basically right away, and Smith - certainly to date - is not. Neither is Simms. Neither was Sanchez (nor Clemens nor whoever else we've had).

You credit Carroll for making a swift decision and not dillydallying. They held a competition between the two, same as the Jets did with Sanchez & Smith, and then way at the end of a summer of dillydallying on the position, on August 27th, Carroll finally announced Wilson would be the week 1 starter. After that they didn't dillydally by leaving him in there. Well that's pretty much the same thing that the Jets did. Had they gone back & forth between Smith & Simms, then that would have been this unfavorable dillydallying you speak of. I just think you have a memory of Seattle's 2012 summer that was different from the actual events as they unfolded.

Also you feel every unworthy, negative assessment of Simms (or whoever) is on Rex, despite behind-the-scenes pleas of sanity from Mornhinweg, Lee, and the players on the roster. This is really what you think is going on? There were plenty of leaks and rumblings of disgruntled players (not to mention ex-players) courtesy of the Mehtas of the sportswriter world, and not one that I can recall was about how the guys who saw them every day thought Simms should be the starter.

If the Jets - everyone on the team, not just Ryan - thought Simms was the goods, then they wouldn't have brought in 2 more QBs this year with the hopes of moving on from Simms, bumping him off the roster. I don't know why you think otherwise. It's not like the Jets, in 5 years under Ryan, have some long history of cutting/benching excellent players for inferior ones, and then these guys are just awesome for someone else. The closest I can think of is Woodhead, who's only a role player anyway. Actually, Ryan really seemed to like him (and mic'd up on Hard Knocks thought he was reliable as well), but Tannenbaum had already brought in LT, used 3 draft picks on Greene, and had just traded up to draft McKnight.

Excellent post, Sperm.

I hope you're not taking my tone personally.  You shouldn't.

Smith was terrible last year.  If the team really thought Simms was the answer to their prayers, or thought there was any reasonable expectation that this was possible, there is no chance that a leak about it   would have been contained.  The players see both QBs in practice every day also and there wasn't a hint of anything that anyone involved with the team thought Simms should be the starter.

To say "not anybody" ignores that the team's OC and QBC work with Simms on regular - if not daily - basis.  They have a very good idea of what he is and what he isn't.  Same with Carroll in Seattle.  They saw Wilson and saw Flynn and there was no dissent (other than from Flynn, I imagine, lol) that they should just go with Wilson now because Flynn stinks and they just guaranteed $10M to a scrub.  That the only thing that would be worse would be compounding the error by putting him on the field despite Wilson demonstrating that he's already better.  This didn't happen with Simms, who only narrowly beat out Greg McElroy for the #3 job (and even that may have been due to McElroy's injury, not to mention the team was still probably sore at him for breaking rank a year or two earlier).

See, the difference that gets glossed over in the 2 situations is that Wilson is outstanding, was good basically right away, and Smith - certainly to date - is not.  Neither is Simms. Neither was Sanchez (nor Clemens nor whoever else we've had).

You credit Carroll for making a swift decision and not dillydallying.  They held a competition between the two, same as the Jets did with Sanchez & Smith, and then way at the end of a summer of dillydallying on the position, on August 27th, Carroll finally announced Wilson would be the week 1 starter.  After that they didn't dillydally by leaving him in there.  Well that's pretty much the same thing that the Jets did.  Had they gone back & forth between Smith & Simms, then that would have been this unfavorable dillydallying you speak of.  I just think you have a memory of Seattle's 2012 summer that was different from the actual events as they unfolded.

Also you feel every unworthy, negative assessment of Simms (or whoever) is on Rex, despite behind-the-scenes pleas of sanity from Mornhinweg, Lee, and the players on the roster.  This is really what you think is going on? There were plenty of leaks and rumblings of disgruntled players (not to mention ex-players) courtesy of the Mehtas of the sportswriter world, and not one that I can recall was about how the guys who saw them every day thought Simms should be the starter.  

If the Jets - everyone on the team, not just Ryan - thought Simms was the goods, then they wouldn't have brought in 2 more QBs this year with the hopes of moving on from Simms, bumping him off the roster.  I don't know why you think otherwise.  It's not like the Jets, in 5 years under Ryan, have some long history of cutting/benching excellent players for inferior ones, and then these guys are just awesome for someone else.  The closest I can think of is Woodhead, who's only a role player anyway.  Actually, Ryan really seemed to like him (and mic'd up on Hard Knocks thought he was reliable as well), but Tannenbaum had already brought in LT, used 3 draft picks on Greene, and had just traded up to draft McKnight.

ONly slight point is we had a comparable situation here with Pennington and Edwards. And at that time Edwards did everything he could not to put Pennington in. Ryan is a better coach, but this is same thing defense-oriented HC is not really involved with the offense delays that decision.It's scared . And it's because everyone know even thoguyh it's the HC's decision he isn't really all that involved in the offense. A good coach understands both sides of the ball and makes the move. Ryan is not that. ANd Bellicheat and Carroll despite being from defense did it without hesitaation. Ifg the Jets made a comparable singing like Flynn there is no way he doesn't start.

Archived