Rex: Pryor reminds me of Tatum

F.Chowds

Discussing Calvin Pryor on the night of the draft, Rex Ryan was asked if the New York Jets' newest safety reminded him of anybody. The coach smiled. 

"He reminds me of somebody," he said, "but I don’t want to saddle him with that." 

On Wednesday night, Ryan came clean. 

Addressing season-ticket holders at a Town Hall meeting in Manhattan, Ryan compared the Jets' first-round pick to one of the most notorious hitters in NFL history. 

"He reminds me of Jack Tatum -- an enforcer back there," Ryan told the crowd, according to the team's website. (Print and digital media weren't permitted to cover the event.) 

For the younger generation, Tatum -- nicknamed "The Assassin" -- played safety for theOakland Raiders from 1971 to 1979. He was named one of the hardest hitters in league history (some might call him dirty), employing a style that would make him a heavily fined player in Roger Goodell's NFL. (Side note: Tatum grew up in Passaic, N.J., about 30 minutes from the Jets' facility.) 

No doubt, Ryan meant it as a compliment -- he believes Pryor can deliver game-changing hits -- but the last thing the rookie needs is a reputation before he steps on the field. Officials will be watching.

I wish Rex would shift the focus to whatever else this kid is capable of.

Eric Smith could hit too. He didn't cost us a first round pick for crying out loud.

Smith would have been so much better if he had only played without having his shoelaces tied together.  

I wish Rex would shift the focus to whatever else this kid is capable of.

Eric Smith could hit too. He didn't cost us a first round pick for crying out loud.

Smith was a linebacker stuck with the size of a safety, with the speed of a tackle. He could have been great otherwise.

Never forget when Smith lowered his level and put the boom on Welker.

Smith was a linebacker stuck with the size of a safety, with the speed of a tackle. He could have been great otherwise.

Never forget when Smith lowered his level and put the boom on Welker.

How about the hit on Boldin at the goal line on that pass? He like broke Boldin's face....whew. Then he collided into a team mate. It looked like there was three bodies on the field.

tatum was a lot bigger than Pryor - at least he looked that way on the field. I'm more interested in a safety who can cover the tight end, which we haven't had for a while, rather than a safety who can cripple Darryl Stingley.

Wrong Pryor is 6'2"  210 and Tatum was 5'10" and played at 200 and Pryor is a fluid athlete that can turn and cover TE's 

thanks for info. I guess it was those shoulder pads Tatum had that made him look so menacing, or maybe it was just the Raider black and gold.

thanks for info. I guess it was those shoulder pads Tatum had that made him look so menacing, or maybe it was just the Raider black and gold.

Tatum wore 2" lifts in his cleats.

Said it helped his self esteem.

Black and gold?

You must mean the New Orleans Raiders.

Archived