Cimini's latest article

faba

Jets offseason wrap-up
May, 23, 2014
MAY 23
10:00
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
» NFC Wrap: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South » Grades in.gif

With free agency and the draft in the rearview mirror and training camp just a couple of months away, we assess the New York Jets' offseason moves: 

Best move: The Jets doled out $7 million a year for Eric Decker, but he's an upgrade over the previous No. 1 receiver, Santonio Holmes, a diminished diva whose sour attitude won't be missed. Decker is a 6-foot-3 target whose catching radius will help Geno Smith, who struggled last season with his accuracy. No doubt Decker benefited from having the Broncos' Peyton Manning as his quarterback the past two seasons, but he's still a quality player who can help in a variety of ways. For instance: Decker had seven red zone touchdown catches last season, only one fewer than the Jets produced as a team. 

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Wilfredo LeeThe Jets hope Dimitri Patterson can fill the void created when Antonio Cromartie departed.
Riskiest move: They're counting on journeyman Dimitri Patterson, signed from the Dolphins, to replace Antonio Cromartie at cornerback -- a big gamble. Patterson, 31, has missed 33 of his past 48 games, so the Jets are taking quite a leap by thinking he will stay healthy. What's more, he's best suited for the slot, not one of the outside positions. General manager John Idzik mismanaged the cornerback market. Knowing the importance of corners in Rex Ryan's man-to-man system, Idzik should've made a stronger commitment to the position. He flirted with some big names but wound up with Patterson, who will be playing for his sixth team in 10 years. To exacerbate the issue, Idzik waited until the third round before drafting a corner. 

Most surprising move: The Jets bill themselves as a young, ascending team, yet they allowed one of their ascending players to walk out the door -- right tackleAustin Howard, who signed with the Raiders. The Jets found him on the scrap heap, invested three years of development and watched him become an above-average player with upside. And then he was gone. Howard's replacement, Breno Giacomini, formerly of the Seahawks, is a comparable player -- and cheaper. Statistically, he's a better run-blocker than Howard but is not quite as adept in pass protection. Here's the big difference, though: Howard, 27, is two years younger than Giacomini, meaning he would've been a better fit in the long-term plan. 

John the Deliberate: Overall, Idzik had a solid offseason, adding several new pieces on offense (let's not forget about running back Chris Johnson and quarterback Michael Vick) -- but the second-year GM didn't spend as much money as he could've. After dumping Holmes' and Mark Sanchez's contracts, the Jets were among the league leaders in cap space, but Idzik was relatively conservative in free agency, relying on a 12-player draft haul to upgrade the roster. Unlike some GMs, who overpay for second-rate talent, he refuses to deviate from his long-term plan. It's the right approach for a franchise previously obsessed with quick-fix moves, but it's not foolproof. The cornerback situation will come back to bite him.

I will wait and see in regards to the corner position. Cromartie was awful last year, that kind of performance is not difficult to improve on. 

On a side note, I hate Cimini, I honestly would love to start a petition to have him removed from covering the Jets for ESPN.

I will wait and see in regards to the corner position. Cromartie was awful last year, that kind of performance is not difficult to improve on. 

+1

As Cimini goes, this was pretty even-handed, but I don't understand why he keeps acting like Cromartie was a huge loss.

The Jets don't have a slam dunk second corner on their roster, but they have a lot of intriguing options that should produce someone.  Patterson, Patrick, Wilson, Walls, Lankster, McDougle....someone from that group should be able to handle it.

Actually Cimini was more positvie in this article than he ever is. Cromartie was a liability last year- somehow I think we can improvement from the guys we have plus a pass rush

Letting Howard walk is my only real beef with our GM.  Giacomini doesn't have much upside whereas Howard does.  When you include the up tick in penalties we should expect from Giacomini it's an overall downgrade.  With our cap space I think we should have slightly overspent to bring back Howard.

if the Jets had taken a corner in rd 1, Cimini writes the "jets didn't address the safety position" article

so ya know...  either way 

This was going to be my comment as well.

"...but the Jets didn't address their desperate need at safety, where they had to bring in a very has-been Ed Reed off the scrap heap just to finish the season up."

I'd expect Cimini to have written something like that.

Personally I liked the pick of Calvin Pryor, we desperately needed an enforcer to bring out the best in the rest of this group. Overall I wasn't wowed by this draft, there were too many reaches and we failed to address the need for a true young pass rushing OLB. I know that there were limits to how many were worth the investment, and because we did use the first two picks on players who I believe will be great additions to the team it made it that much more difficult to fill other needs adequately. 

Because I'm such a die hard Jets fan and truly believe that this team has been due one of those drafts where players selected late go on to become solid contributors I must (what choice do I have) think that this is the one that pushes this team over the edge and into the realm of playoff contention for years to come.

On a side note, I hate Cimini, I honestly would love to start a petition to have him removed from covering the Jets for ESPN.

I can't stand the sight of that guy. I tried to email their site with my objections to that a$$hole.I sent a few off but I don't think the proper contacts are accessible tho.

I'd take Mehta over that schmuck.

From what I see on tape , I really like Dex. I don't know if I trust his health though ? His similarities to DM are there. Heck DM even missed time early last year because of a shoulder injury just like Dex. I don't think the CB is going to be as bad as it's being advertised. Can't get much worse than Cro last year.

This is BS. mark my words, the Giants will rue the day they signed DRC, a contract year performer if there ever was one. And Frankly, Cro was their worst DB last year. He has been upgraded.

:sign0098:

I think you're right. The more time that goes by the more I'm glad Idzik didn't sign him.

Bich Cimini was just trying to feed the hysterical reactions of the 'fantasy footballl' type...the 'whoa is me we suck' fans. Trying to feed controversy, and ire towards Idzik

A classic sh*t bomb by that tool.

I can't stand the sight of that guy. I tried to email their site with my objections to that a$$hole.I sent a few off but I don't think the proper contacts are accessible tho.

Manish?  Is that you?

I'm surprised that ESPN didn't care more about your opinion.

From what I see on tape , I really like Dex. I don't know if I trust his health though ? His similarities to DM are there. Heck DM even missed time early last year because of a shoulder injury just like Dex. I don't think the CB is going to be as bad as it's being advertised. Can't get much worse than Cro last year.

DM = Darrelle Mevis?

Most surprising move: The Jets bill themselves as a young, ascending team, yet they allowed one of their ascending players to walk out the door -- right tackleAustin Howard, who signed with the Raiders. The Jets found him on the scrap heap, invested three years of development and watched him become an above-average player with upside. And then he was gone. Howard's replacement, Breno Giacomini, formerly of the Seahawks, is a comparable player -- and cheaper. Statistically, he's a better run-blocker than Howard but is not quite as adept in pass protection. Here's the big difference, though: Howard, 27, is two years younger than Giacomini, meaning he would've been a better fit in the long-term plan.

And had we matched Oakland's offer, Cimini would be lamenting about how we overpaid and could have gotten Breno Giacomnii for cheaper.

This is BS. mark my words, the Giants will rue the day they signed DRC, a contract year performer if there ever was one. And Frankly, Cro was their worst DB last year. He has been upgraded.

DRC's name gets thrown around because he was the last of the name CBs to get signed, but the Jets passed on a lot of talent at arguably the deepest position in free agency, at a position of dire need. I hope one of the many bodies the Jets have at CB can step up and start (I guess someone will have to), but Cimini is right when he refers to the Jets' handling of the position as risky. It is. They're taking a chance at a critical position, and they didn't have to.

This is a huge misread by Cimini IMHO:

Riskiest move: They're counting on journeyman Dimitri Patterson, signed from the Dolphins, to replace Antonio Cromartie at cornerback -- a big gamble. Patterson, 31, has missed 33 of his past 48 games, so the Jets are taking quite a leap by thinking he will stay healthy. What's more, he's best suited for the slot, not one of the outside positions. General manager John Idzik mismanaged the cornerback market. Knowing the importance of corners in Rex Ryan's man-to-man system, Idzik should've made a stronger commitment to the position. He flirted with some big names but wound up with Patterson, who will be playing for his sixth team in 10 years. To exacerbate the issue, Idzik waited until the third round before drafting a corner.

I think the plan is for Patterson to start the year opposite Milliner and hope one of the younger guys (most likely McDougle) can step up and take over by mid-season. I sincerely doubt the Jets are pinning their hopes on Patterson playing at a Pro-Bowl level AND staying healthy for 16 games. 

Also, memo to Cimini, one of the best and now highest paid corners in the game, the guy who made a ridiculous play to put his team in the Super Bowl, was a ******* fifth rounder you narrow minded ****tard. 

DRC's name gets thrown around because he was the last of the name CBs to get signed, but the Jets passed on a lot of talent at arguably the deepest position in free agency, at a position of dire need. I hope one of the many bodies the Jets have at CB can step up and start (I guess someone will have to), but Cimini is right when he refers to the Jets' handling of the position as risky. It is. They're taking a chance at a critical position, and they didn't have to.

I don't think any of the non-Revis FA corners were a sure thing. All of them have had up and down years. Signing one of them for big money guaranteed the Jets no better play at the position than doing what they have done. 

I don't think any of the non-Revis FA corners were a sure thing. All of them have had up and down years. Signing one of them for big money guaranteed the Jets no better play at the position than doing what they have done.

There were good/solid CBs available for reasonable money. Alterran Verner signed for four years, $26.5M, Brandon Browner 3/$17M, Captain Munnerlyn 3/$11.25M, Walter Thurmond 1/$3.5M. Any of those guys would've been a very good signing for the Jets.

There were good/solid CBs available for reasonable money. Alterran Verner signed for four years, $26.5M, Brandon Browner 3/$17M, Captain Munnerlyn 3/$11.25M, Walter Thurmond 1/$3.5M. Any of those guys would've been a very good signing for the Jets.

Who guaranteed nothing. 

Who guaranteed nothing.

So Dimitri Patterson came with a guarantee? Breno Giacomini came with a guarantee? sh*t, I'm not sold on Chris Johnson or Michael Vick, either. Who the **** is talking about guarantees except for you? You sign free agents to shore up holes in the roster, and there was a lot of reasonably priced talent at a critical position of need this year, and Idzik -IMHO- whiffed.

Guarantee.... You gotta be kidding me.

So Dimitri Patterson came with a guarantee? Breno Giacomini came with a guarantee? sh*t, I'm not sold on Chris Johnson or Michael Vick, either. Who the **** is talking about guarantees except for you? You sign free agents to shore up holes in the roster, and there was a lot of reasonably priced talent at a critical position of need this year, and Idzik -IMHO- whiffed.

Guarantee.... You gotta be kidding me.

Of course not, but the point is the FO obviously didn't feel any of those players was worth the risk.

If Idzik felt Verner (who IMO was the best value of the bunch based on his age)  or any of those guys had significantly more upside than anyone on our roster or who we could pick up in the draft, one of them would be on the Jets roster today.

Archived