Rex Ryan says he's lost 130 pounds

Sperm Edwards

Saw a link to this article when I inexplicably clicked the link to the Pryor-goes-shopping article in the other thread.

Even if you can't stand Ryan as HC, good for him.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/05/rex_ryan_says_hes_lost_130_pounds.html

Rex Ryan says he's lost 130 pounds

Rex Ryan is nowhere close to the 348 pounds he said he once weighed. But he's also managed to keep the weight off. (NFL Network)

Dom Cosentino/NJ.com By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com

on May 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM, updated May 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The NFL Network's four-part Total Access Live "Coach Speak" segment wrapped up Thursday night, this time with head coaches Rex Ryan of the Jets, Tom Coughlin of the Giants, Bruce Arians of the Cardinals, and John Harbaugh of the Ravens all talking about their health.

We already told you about two prior segments of the show, which aims to show NFL head coaches as actual human beings—and largely succeeds. You can watch the fourth part of the discussion here.

Ryan started things off Thursday by saying he "always" gets sick as soon as the season ends, as if his brain were finally telling his body it was OK to do so.

But as the conversation touched on the recent health problems of former Texans coach Gary Kubiak, Broncos coach John Fox, and Arians himself, moderator Andrea Kremer asked Ryan about his decision two years ago to undergo lap-band surgery to tackle his weight problem.

“I was always huge and all of that," Ryan said. "I just kept getting bigger and bigger—would lose weight, gain weight.

"We’re getting ready to play Indianapolis in the championship game my first year with the Jets. I hopped on the scale expecting to see 310, something like that, which is still way too high. 348 pounds. I had put on 30 pounds or whatever in a season.

"When a doctor told me how many people 350 pounds do you know that's over 50 years old? Not many. He said, ‘Yeah, because they don’t exist.’ And I'm, like, I knew I had to do something. I knew I had to do something drastic because I had done the other things. So there were a couple of options, I figured out what was the best one. I did this lap band, very minor procedure. I’m down 130 pounds—it’s unreal to think that I was dragging that kind of weight around. But I did it because I want to see my kids grow up and I want to see their kids grow up. That’s why I did it.”

Ryan has talked about his lap-band surgery before, and he does look a heckuva lot better than he used to. But, for his sake, after all this time, it's encouraging to see that he continues to keep the weight off.

Now, if Ryan would only clue us in on the identity of his secret "sensei" ...

© 2014 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Archived