Jacksonville

Favorite_Toon

Nobody wants to leave birthright.  Sadly, real life isn't a free bus tour with no responsibility, cheap booze, schwarma, beach days, and a non-stop orgy.

HEY! THIS IS MY DAUGHTER WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE!

The internship thing is a cool deal, though. She would have to provide her own way there (uh... Daddy?), but then they'll house her for free for six or eight months, and set her up with an internship in the field of her choosing. Even if she chooses not to emigrate, it would be a great opportunity.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to make the argument that all of Rochester isn't a snow covered crack den, you should at least be consistent and acknowledge that all of New York isn't Times Square.

If wife and I go anywhere significant, it'd probably be Dallas.  More likely, we migrate to the burbs in a couple years.

No interest in living in any part of NYC.  My parents got us out of there when we were kids.  Although I will say we weren't exactly living in a good part of town.

Seriously? I've only seen three the entire time I've lived here and two of those were in ponds next to places I worked where it would be impossible for the gator to get at people. I've seen one at a golf course but he was on the other side of the pond next to a wooded area. You're literally more in danger of drying from a dog bite than you are from an alligator attack. 

I'm in more danger of dying from a bee sting than I am a shark attack..  doesn't mean I want to go surfing in Austraila.

I feel like you haven't thought this through, lol.  JK -- good luck with the move. Any time you can keep your NY Salary and move somewhere else, you are in good shape.  Good luck.

Does the new place have internet? :)

Yes It has the internet lol  Cappucino machine on every floor.. swimming pool  workut facility with free weights.. cycle classes... washer and dryer included..

http://www.5thousandtown.com/

Yes It has the internet lol  Cappucino machine on every floor.. swimming pool  workut facility with free weights.. cycle classes... washer and dryer included..

giphy.gif

$1400+ for a one-bedroom? I'm gonna be paying more than 500 less for an apartment 50% bigger that's next to a golf course and has all the same amenities and it's not literally in a shopping mall. 

HEY! THIS IS MY DAUGHTER WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE!

The internship thing is a cool deal, though. She would have to provide her own way there (uh... Daddy?), but then they'll house her for free for six or eight months, and set her up with an internship in the field of her choosing. Even if she chooses not to emigrate, it would be a great opportunity.

They definitely have cool programs.  Just pointing out that literally everyone I know came home from birthright with that same feeling... "SO AMAZING!!! CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!!!" I now know one girl who is considering maybe going back (on the birthright reloaded program) and 90% of her reasoning is that all her friends are married and she's hoping to meet someone.

Marriage has jaded you. You used to be so carefree. 

I surveyed my life at the 1 month mark... What I found was that marriage included an extremely awesome but equally expensive vacation, an incredibly fun trip to the bank, and 37 hours of Game Of Thrones.  The downside has been thank you notes... All-in-all, the early returns seem good.

No interest in living in any part of NYC.  My parents got us out of there when we were kids.  Although I will say we weren't exactly living in a good part of town.

Yeah, I imagine where I am and where you were are very different.  I love having access to whatever, whenever, and just about the best of everything with ease and will miss that when we leave.

Money is the ultimate factor... To live how we'd like to, we'd need a place that's around 2.5 million, or over 5K a month if renting.  So, we'll go.  Eventually and somewhat reluctantly, but we'll go.

I surveyed my life at the 1 month mark... What I found was that marriage included an extremely awesome but equally expensive vacation, an incredibly fun trip to the bank, and 37 hours of Game Of Thrones.  The downside has been thank you notes... All-in-all, the early returns seem good.

FGzZccq.gif

If someone was buying a 2nd house (condo actually) and they wanted to be in Florida with water views, where would everyone suggest?  I am asking for a friend.

He has a website and is about to start charging for VIP membership.  So he needs to be able to spend some of the extra money soon.  Thanks.

I will hang up and take your call off line.

That looks amazing!  

Its very nice.. Expensive but nice.. Depends on your lifestyle.. It has a roof top lounge area... can host parties up there... Walking distance to come clubs... I am not married so this fits me.. I wont stay there forever.. plus with the 400 a month I save in state and loca taxes a month.. rent drops to 1000 a month and for that money totally worth it.. If I found a 1 bedroom apt in brooklyn for 1000 a month.. it most certainly wouldnt look like that... lol   I am looking to get together with anyone from JAX to make a jet fan club... I spoke to Klecko already and we can easily take over some Bar down there..  Klecko is right and I will have him advise me on Jax.. He has been there for many years so he knows the area well..

Germany would be much higher on my list of recommendations to my kids if they weren't Jewish. Not sure how that works nowadays. My daughter took four years of French in high school, making that a more attractive option for her. She did birthright in Israel, and didn't want to leave. She's giving serious thought to going back for an internship program.

Germany is probably the most Jewish-friendly country in Europe. Seriously, seriously harsh anti-semitism laws (for good reason) there and they make it ridiculously easy for Jews to become citizens, especially if you can trace your roots back to Central/Eastern Europe.

Edit: Not to mention the language is probably the most similar to English.

Its very nice.. Expensive but nice.. Depends on your lifestyle.. It has a roof top lounge area... can host parties up there... Walking distance to come clubs... I am not married so this fits me.. I wont stay there forever.. plus with the 400 a month I save in state and loca taxes a month.. rent drops to 1000 a month and for that money totally worth it.. If I found a 1 bedroom apt in brooklyn for 1000 a month.. it most certainly wouldnt look like that... lol   I am looking to get together with anyone from JAX to make a jet fan club... I spoke to Klecko already and we can easily take over some Bar down there..  Klecko is right and I will have him advise me on Jax.. He has been there for many years so he knows the area well..

i am in the exact opposite as you. Went from Tax friendly Texas (no state tax) to Illinois where they tax you just for breathing. Also due my union CBA at the time there was no cost of living pay increase. So I took about a 10-15 prcnt paycut just moving here. Hopefully by weeks end that changes and I get the big raise I have been waiting for (fingers crossed). Anyway congrats and good luck on your future endevor.

One more thing since you hail from Brooklyn and heading to the South. Try to keep the "NY attitude" to a minimum some folks down there don't like us too much.

You have absolutely no idea what your talking abut..I been down there several times.. Your the guy that drives on 95 pass jacksonville on your way to Orlando and only see the horrible view.. meanwhile. .all the big banks moved there.. Southside is Beautiful.. town center is very very nice.. julington Creek..manderin..ponte vedra.. TPC sawgrass is there.. it gets a bad rap.. where do you live? No drugs in NY? Hahaha like crowded smelly trains.. being taxed to death.. paying 2 grand for an apt in someone's house or paying 8 grand in real estate tax a year? Jersey better? Armpit of America..

Dont listen to these haters.  They're all jealous of the beauty that is Jacksonville.  Really an amazing place.  I've lived all over the country and Jax is my favorite second to San Diego which is just stupid expensive.  Jax Beaches area is actually very similar from a vibe perspective and half the price.  When the weather is good, which is all the time, everyone is outside, on their bikes, being active, enjoying fun in the sun. 

You sound like you're dialed in on the good areas of the city.  Its huge from a land mass perspective so picking the right area is key.  Straight up, making the money I assume you make, move to Ponte Vedra.  Its high class soceity.  Everything is well kept and beautiful.  Great for raising a family, really solid schools in the area and depedning where you're at, you're a couple of blocks from gorgeous beaches, on the intercoastal or on a golf course.   Either there or Atlanic Beach or Neptune area is legit, you'll never want to leave.  Ever.  Being at the beach is key.  Its different culture than the rest of the city.

That place is cool.  Think they even have their own bar if I'm not mistaken?   But the town center is a hassle.  Its nice because there is so much surrounding it but getting in and out of that area sucks. And its always under construction.  However, lots of young professionals and always a walk away from some type of enterainment.  Its about 15 minutes to the beaches, so thats not bad, its just the traffic flow in that area is a nightmare (though nothing compares to where you're at now).  Plus, townies are weird, like Klacko.

Are you in IT?  Jax is booming for technology jobs.  One of the fastest growing technology cities in the country.  Crazy job market.  This city is doing big things.  Great time to be here and be part of one the fastest growing cities in the country. 

I ******* love it here.  I've got a condo in Neptune beach.  On the ocean.  I honestly couldnt imagine a better lifestyle within my means. 

You're going to love it.  I've worked with Merrill Lynch and Deutsche Bank brining a ton of New York/Jersey peeps when they were relocating a lot of their back office operations and IT down here...those people will never leave.  Its an amazing city...but location is everything.  Northside or Westside?  Scary sh*t man. 

Moral to the story, move to the beach, you'll never leave.

Dont listen to these haters.  They're all jealous of the beauty that is Jacksonville.  Really an amazing place.  I've lived all over the country and Jax is my favorite second to San Diego which is just stupid expensive.  Jax Beaches area is actually very similar from a vibe perspective and half the price.  When the weather is good, which is all the time, everyone is outside, on their bikes, being active, enjoying fun in the sun. 

You sound like you're dialed in on the good areas of the city.  Its huge from a land mass perspective so picking the right area is key.  Straight up, making the money I assume you make, move to Ponte Vedra.  Its high class soceity.  Everything is well kept and beautiful.  Great for raising a family, really solid schools in the area and depedning where you're at, you're a couple of blocks from gorgeous beaches, on the intercoastal or on a golf course.   Either there or Atlanic Beach or Neptune area is legit, you'll never want to leave.  Ever.  Being at the beach is key.  Its different culture than the rest of the city.

That place is cool.  Think they even have their own bar if I'm not mistaken?   But the town center is a hassle.  Its nice because there is so much surrounding it but getting in and out of that area sucks. And its always under construction.  However, lots of young professionals and always a walk away from some type of enterainment.  Its about 15 minutes to the beaches, so thats not bad, its just the traffic flow in that area is a nightmare (though nothing compares to where you're at now).  Plus, townies are weird, like Klacko.

Are you in IT?  Jax is booming for technology jobs.  One of the fastest growing technology cities in the country.  Crazy job market.  This city is doing big things.  Great time to be here and be part of one the fastest growing cities in the country. 

I ******* love it here.  I've got a condo in Neptune beach.  On the ocean.  I honestly couldnt imagine a better lifestyle within my means. 

You're going to love it.  I've worked with Merrill Lynch and Deutsche Bank brining a ton of New York/Jersey peeps when they were relocating a lot of their back office operations and IT down here...those people will never leave.  Its an amazing city...but location is everything.  Northside or Westside?  Scary sh*t man. 

Nice recruiting speech. Too bad you suck at your job.

I live in Northern Virginia fairfax county.  Cost of living is silly and the house prices are comical.  But the school districts are some of the best in the country. I got 5 kids and as soon as they move out me and Mrs Crusher gonna find a nice little seaside hut in Myrtle Beach.  I like that Myrtle beach.  Got those silly Calabash buffets. 

Yeah, Toon is in IT.

Grass is always greener...

If you're a single guy, you should go to Iceland.

You could be the worst looking guy there, but the fact that you're not 2nd cousins with every platinum blonde on the island makes you very desirable.

Heard the language is one of the hardest to learn and even more difficult to speak,but I look decent,guess I could skip the conversation part of it lol

Never saw a women from Iceland to be honest. Maybe I should check them out on google to see if it's worth the flight

Heard the language is one of the hardest to learn and even more difficult to speak,but I look decent,guess I could skip the conversation part of it lol

Never saw a women from Iceland to be honest. Maybe I should check them out on google to see if it's worth the flight

Everybody there speaks English, not a problem.

They are all blonde, have names that you can't prounounce and are athletic enough to kick your ass.

post-5567-0-09992900-1401314573_thumb.jp

Germany would be much higher on my list of recommendations to my kids if they weren't Jewish. Not sure how that works nowadays. My daughter took four years of French in high school, making that a more attractive option for her. She did birthright in Israel, and didn't want to leave. She's giving serious thought to going back for an internship program.

Shouldn't be a factor at all. The people are pretty open-minded nowadays. Got in to a conversation last year with two guys from Israel while I was in New Jersey waiting for the bus They heard me and my girlfriend speaking german and asked us if we are from Germany. They told us they were on vacation here for a couple of weeks the year before doing a little roundtrip having a great time. Said nothing that they felt uncomfortable in any way. There are a few other countries around that having way more problems with racism or anti semitism. France, Switzerland or Spain for example, especially against Muslims

d70bv.jpg

That's the mayor of Reykjavik's daughter.

Isn't that Bjork the Icelandic singer?

From a tax perspective, NYS sucks. It drains your earnings through tax. Right now, almost 37% of my paycheck is eaten up by taxes. If I were to move to Florida, I would instantly save 12-13%. That 12-13% is a ton and has me thinking that sometime in the next 5-10 years, I should look to move to Florida. Due to my profession, I think Ft. Lauderdale/Miami is where I will end up...my cousin lives north of Miami and she loves it. The cost of living is better and quality of life is better. My major concerns are:

1) Commute times - While there we were stuck in some major traffic jams.

2) Electricity Costs - Because of the heat, I worry that the electric bills would eat away at the tax savings.

3) Mosquitos - My mortal enemies. How do you guys deal with the skeeters?

4) Water Bills - Same as #2.

LL

Jacksonville is the home of the Jags, wearers of the WORLD'S UGLIEST UNIFORMS. God are they hideous. TB is following suit with their new togs. BTW has anyone seen the story on Fan Sided showing an awful version of a new Jets uniform. Black and green with the JETS logo of the 80's and 90's on a black helmet. Puh-lease.

I live in Northern Virginia fairfax county. Cost of living is silly and the house prices are comical. But the school districts are some of the best in the country. I got 5 kids and as soon as they move out me and Mrs Crusher gonna find a nice little seaside hut in Myrtle Beach. I like that Myrtle beach. Got those silly Calabash buffets.

These god damn kids man, they cost a ton of money and including them in the decision process means having to make sh*tty compromises, lol. If I am gonna have a dependent anchor like that, it's gonna be a morally bankrupt stripper I rehabilitate.

I've flown on icelandair a few times. The ugliest stewardess would look like Reese Witherspoon. Definite talent on that frozen rock.

Isn't that Bjork the Icelandic singer?

From a tax perspective, NYS sucks. It drains your earnings through tax. Right now, almost 37% of my paycheck is eaten up by taxes. If I were to move to Florida, I would instantly save 12-13%. That 12-13% is a ton and has me thinking that sometime in the next 5-10 years, I should look to move to Florida. Due to my profession, I think Ft. Lauderdale/Miami is where I will end up...my cousin lives north of Miami and she loves it. The cost of living is better and quality of life is better. My major concerns are:

1) Commute times - While there we were stuck in some major traffic jams.

2) Electricity Costs - Because of the heat, I worry that the electric bills would eat away at the tax savings.

3) Mosquitos - My mortal enemies. How do you guys deal with the skeeters?

4) Water Bills - Same as #2.

LL

I have an apartment in downtown west palm. Florida is awesome if you are in a happening place, but death's waiting room if the wrong place.

These god damn kids man, they cost a ton of money and including them in the decision process means having to make shitty compromises, lol. If I am gonna have a dependent anchor like that, it's gonna be a morally bankrupt stripper I rehabilitate.

LOL - kids are expensive, there is no denying that.

Archived