Dion Jordan

SenorGato

The overarching problem with Rex's leadership is the lack of discipline and accountability. Players get handed jobs for life, without recourse for sh*tty play and/or attitude issues. This creates an ineffective teaching environment with diminishing returns. Consider your own job--if there was no fear of you losing it, and if you see the guy in the next cubicle dog it day after day without recourse, there's no urgency created to get better at your job, and the workforce stagnates. That's why running guys like Holmes and Sanchez out there every week without a hint of reprisal has ruined Rex, and it's why he finally looked like a head coach when both Sanchez and Holmes got hurt last year--that was God doing Rex a favor. The man just isn't a leader. He's like Herm in this way.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ye Olde Rex As Victim Of Evil Forces Canard.

If Rex develops Kyle Wilson, or Sanchez, or Coples, or Antonio Allen, or anyone, then there's no need to overpay veteran talent and trade draft picks for Cromartie, or to hand Bart Scott $40 mil. He's victimized only by his own incompetence. One of the features he supposedly came here with was his alleged reputation as a teacher. That's turned out to be an urban legend.

Quinton Coples first two years in the NFL: 10 sacks, 5 passes defenses. James Farrior's first two seasons: 1.5 sacks, 0 passes defended.

What draft pick did Parcells develop on the Jets? Are you gonna answer that question, or keep avoiding it? It's your primary complaint about Rex, yet your hero was even worse in that regard. Rex may not've developed everyone, but Parcells developed no one here.

Ye Olde Rex As Victim Of Evil Forces Canard.

If Rex develops Kyle Wilson, or Sanchez, or Coples, or Antonio Allen, or anyone, then there's no need to overpay veteran talent and trade draft picks for Cromartie, or to hand Bart Scott $40 mil. He's victimized only by his own incompetence. One of the features he supposedly came here with was his alleged reputation as a teacher. That's turned out to be an urban legend.

Wow you're all over the place in this post.  slats must really have you flustered.

The overarching problem with Rex's leadership is the lack of discipline and accountability. Players get handed jobs for life, without recourse for sh*tty play and/or attitude issues. This creates an ineffective teaching environment with diminishing returns. Consider your own job--if there was no fear of you losing it, and if you see the guy in the next cubicle dog it day after day without recourse, there's no urgency created to get better at your job, and the workforce stagnates. That's why running guys like Holmes and Sanchez out there every week without a hint of reprisal has ruined Rex, and it's why he finally looked like a head coach when both Sanchez and Holmes got hurt last year--that was God doing Rex a favor. The man just isn't a leader. He's like Herm in this way.

#stylepoints

Quinton Coples first two years in the NFL: 10 sacks, 5 passes defenses. James Farrior's first two seasons: 1.5 sacks, 0 passes defended.

What draft pick did Parcells develop on the Jets? Are you gonna answer that question, or keep avoiding it? It's your primary complaint about Rex, yet your hero was even worse in that regard. Rex may not've developed everyone, but Parcells developed no one here.

Pre:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/1996_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2000_roster.htm

Just going to assume you're being intentionally obtuse.

Rex sucks.

So the answer is: you're just gonna continue to avoid it. That's cool.

I'm not going to feed into your Parcells hate fantasy. You sound like one of those dudes who tries to build up The Phantom Menace by pointing out he logical flaws in Empire Strikes Back.

There is no way Dion Jordan gets unloaded for a 5th round pick. The fins will looks for at least a 3rd round pick for Jordan. Also, the cap implications of taking this player are severe, he was the #3 pick so the salary is huge...you don't want to do this trade...

LL

Actually, I don't think his salary is that high at all.  When I saw this thread last night I looked him up.  His deal is fully guaranteed, but there was a $13+M bonus.  His actualy salary is never more than $675K per, but he has roster bonuses that bring it up to between $1.5-3M per.  I think if you pick him up off waivers and then cut him you would be on the hook for the sub $675K per, but not the roster bonuses. He might not be worth the risk, but the cap implications are not "huge".    They are more Mike Goodson, than Chris Johnson..

I'm not going to feed into your Parcells hate fantasy. You sound like one of those dudes who tries to build up The Phantom Menace by pointing out he logical flaws in Empire Strikes Back.

I like Parcells, I just don't think he deserves the super-hero status you've imparted upon him. He certainly developed zero rookies as the Jets' head coach, which you've acknowledged with your silence on the issue.

Coples and Farrior play completely different positions.

Linebacker?

Let's face it, Farrior sucked the entire time Parcells coached him. That's a fact.

I like Parcells, I just don't think he deserves the super-hero status you've imparted upon him. He certainly developed zero rookies as the Jets' head coach, which you've acknowledged with your silence on the issue.

Because this is how that conversation goes:

Tom: Player X

John: He wasn't that good.

Tom: Player Y

John: He was just ok.

Positional intricacies aside, Farrior sucked under Parcells. Like complete bust-worthy suckage. Or don't you agree?

I think you're underrating him. He was basically an average player, and you're talking about him like he's Vernon Gholston. My point was more than sacks are a weird measuring stick for that particular comparison, particularly because Coples hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

I think you're underrating him. He was basically an average player, and you're talking about him like he's Vernon Gholston. My point was more than sacks are a weird measuring stick for that particular comparison, particularly because Coples hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

He was taken #8 overall at performed at much lower than Bryan Thomas standards under Parcells' tutelage. The fact that he left the Jets and became an all-pro at his next stop is even more damning. It's not like Rex is failing to develop guys who go onto greater heights elsewhere. He "fails to develop them," and then they're out of the league.

Parcells developed Jason Ferguson.  

I see the Rex doesn't develop players sh*t, but who has done better elsewhere?  I see it as a talent problem, not a development problem.  What players have flourished after they left?  Woodhead?  Even on offense most guys have sucked since they left, but mostly I concern myself with the D when judging Rex as a developmental coach. Ihedigbo has done pretty well for himself.  Revis apparently did okay, but they got a 1st and a 4th and saved a ton of money.  Landry and Bell were good, but they were vet guys that left for money and hardly count in this discussion.  Eric Smith, Jenkins, Gholston, Maybin, Lito Shepherd, Drew Coleman?  Those guys are out of the league. Lowery was okay, but he was a bad fit for what Rex wants and they got a pick back.  Marcus Dixon?  Brodney Pool?  Those guys can't even make a roster.  Pitoitua and Devito might deserve mention, but both left for money and Rex is probably what made them in the first place.  I wouldn't say either has been better since they left. 

The Jets have continued to invest in the defense, but most times when a new coach comes in you end up wasting guys that don't fit the system.  We had none of that with Rex.  The only guys we seemed to lose for that reason were Lowery and Kerry Rhodes.  We got picks for both and neither has exactly lit it up elsewhere. 

Considering the fact that every player to come into the Rex Ryan Jets program never develops beyond what they were on the day they entered said program, I'd say that it's a reach that Rex can fix anyone's career

I have zero doubts that is what you have done here. Well done, scientist! Well done! 

He was taken #8 overall at performed at much lower than Bryan Thomas standards under Parcells' tutelage. The fact that he left the Jets and became an all-pro at his next stop is even more damning. It's not like Rex is failing to develop guys who go onto greater heights elsewhere. He "fails to develop them," and then they're out of the league.

You might want to toss Hugh Douglas into the mix just for sh*ts and giggles.  Parcells thought he was useless and then he went full beast mode with the Eagles

IIRC, but I was even less of a football fan then than I am now, Farrior was closer to average than a total zero under Parcells. He was considered a bust because of his sack numbers but his 2001 season was actually really valuable and a real breakout (9 PDs, 3 FFs, 2 INTs, 100+ TKLs).

I agree with Dom that the development issue is actually a talent issue. Good things happened for Cromartie under Rex, not so much for Eric Smith. 

Hm, I can be nice and say that on a re-read the OP can be interpreted as "THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HOW I WANT TO TRADE FOR JORDAN." It's not, but I can understand how a curmudgeonly grandpa like RJF might interpret it as such. 

More interested in him as another go at a Maybin-esque signing when the inevitable release happens. Interesting that they're already popping into post-draft trade rumors. 

Yea Damon Harrison and Demario Davis suck

Muhammad Wilkerson

Sheldon Richardson

Sione Pouha

Mike DeVito

Calvin Pace

Antonio Cromartie

Darrelle Revis

Demario Davis

Bart Scott

Aaron Maybin

Jim Leonhard

LaRon Landry

Jarret Johnson

Kelly Gregg

All were totally, 100% just as good pre-Rex as they were with-Rex.

lol

Archived