Dion Jordan

SenorGato

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way Dion Jordan gets unloaded for a 5th round pick. The fins will looks for at least a 3rd round pick for Jordan. Also, the cap implications of taking this player are severe, he was the #3 pick so the salary is huge...you don't want to do this trade...

LL

2014- 1.4 million

2015- 2.2 million

2016-  3.2 million.

All the prorated bonus fall on the Fish.  Most of the cost above is roster bonus.  if he sucks a team could cut bait after a year.  I'd take a shot at him for a 4th

I don't think I've ever seen a thread that began on such a terrible premise get this much terribler.

It was early.

Yeah, like post #11.

The path from "we should sign Dion Jordan" to "Parcells sucks too" was pretty impressive, even for this site.

No one said Parcells sucks. It's just that you're the only person praying to a Parcells Altar in your living room. Most of the rest of us are able to see him as merely mortal.

Yeah, like post #11.

No one said Parcells sucks. It's just that you're the only person praying to a Parcells Altar in your living room. Most of the rest of us are able to see him as merely mortal.

There are three--total--three acknowledged NFL legends to ever draw a paycheck from the Jets: one is Namath, one is Weeb, the other is Parcells. There is no fourth.

There are three--total--three acknowledged NFL legends to ever draw a paycheck from the Jets: one is Namath, one is Weeb, the other is Parcells. There is no fourth.

This is stupid.  Plenty of NFL legends have got paid by the Jets.  Rex is just one of many and when its all said and done, will be the most legendary of all.

a_parcells_ft.jpg

Oh, to be Bill Belichick...

This is stupid. Plenty of NFL legends have got paid by the Jets. Rex is just one of many and when its all said and done, will be the most legendary of all.

I was pretty sure I'd take a violent beatdown for my half-assed, non-supported and circular "arguments" in this thread. But you, with this, have slayed me.

And Brett Favre's penis.

Our great defense was Belichick's.  Testaverde being here was also Belichick pushing it.  Parcells was going to go with Foley and anything he could find.  Testaverde became available and coincidentally Belichick knew him well (plus it didn't hurt that playing QB for the Jets was a childhood dream of his).  Parcells still went with Foley - who Parcells named team captain - over Testaverde anyway, which might have derailed the season had Foley not gotten injured (yet again), giving Vinny an opportunity to showcase with the starters in live action.  Then he still put Foley back in there because guys can't lose their job to injury or some other nonsense. Eventually, reality set in and he went with Testaverde. But Testaverde was Belichick's guy, and he'd already been a 33-touchdown, pro bowl QB just 2 years earlier (before Baltimore benched him to prevent him from reaching his bonus for 3000 yards). Parcells wanted to be the genius that got there with a guy no one else could, and that was Foley.

He was certainly a very good head coach, and had the further advantage of being so much better than the unbelievably-bad loser he replaced. Clearly put order where there was chaos, and turned around the franchise for the better.  

I just think he's an example of the myth being greater than the man.  

Our great defense was Belichick's. Testaverde being here was also Belichick pushing it. Parcells was going to go with Foley and anything he could find. Testaverde became available and coincidentally Belichick knew him well (plus it didn't hurt that playing QB for the Jets was a childhood dream of his). Parcells still went with Foley - who Parcells named team captain - over Testaverde anyway, which might have derailed the season had Foley not gotten injured (yet again), giving Vinny an opportunity to showcase with the starters in live action. Then he still put Foley back in there because guys can't lose their job to injury or some other nonsense. Eventually, reality set in and he went with Testaverde. But Testaverde was Belichick's guy, and he'd already been a 33-touchdown, pro bowl QB just 2 years earlier (before Baltimore benched him to prevent him from reaching his bonus for 3000 yards). Parcells wanted to be the genius that got there with a guy no one else could, and that was Foley.

He was certainly a very good head coach, and had the further advantage of being so much better than the unbelievably-bad loser he replaced. Clearly put order where there was chaos, and turned around the franchise for the better.

I just think he's an example of the myth being greater than the man.

All myths are greater than the men they're attached to. That's why they're myths.

I give Parcells deity status because he did it here, for this godforsaken, rudderless franchise.

All myths are greater than the men they're attached to. That's why they're myths.

I give Parcells deity status because he did it here, for this godforsaken, rudderless franchise.

He did what here? Get as far as Ryan did?

Lucky for him Belichick came along and further that he pleaded with him to pick up Testaverde when Baltimore made him a cap casualty.  Otherwise it was the plan for Parcells to go balls deep with Glenn Foley (actually that was his plan even with Testaverde).  Also he has a pretty significant track record of having guys do better before playing for Parcells, and after getting away from Parcells. 

He was a good head coach, and I was thankful for the dramatic turnover, but ultimately he made a few too many bad moves that killed us in the end, favoring "Parcells guys" over better or more productive and more talented players, and then quit on the team that offered him anything he wanted, where he was very much viewed as a deity of sorts.  And while I have no delusions of Ryan being some near-perfect HC, the criticisms of his lack of developing players should go ten-fold for Parcells, given the tremendous success that so many had away from him compared to with him.

Further, I could argue his intention was to sabotage the team on his way out, so there would be this stark dropoff after his departure, ensuring that his 3-year stint were the glory years.  Moves like recommending Bradway as GM to Woody, who could say no to anything Tuna ever asked; trading Keyshawn to Tampa, where he intended to coach a year later; handing out ludicrous contracts to players/buddies like Cox who were clearly unworthy of the amounts offered at that stage of their careers; and he was going to take Tannenbaum with him to be his puppet GM in Tampa because Parcells saw him as a great asset. 

I'd probably look back on his time here more fondly if not for this unworthy deity status.

He did what here? Get as far as Ryan did?

Lucky for him Belichick came along and further that he pleaded with him to pick up Testaverde when Baltimore made him a cap casualty. Otherwise it was the plan for Parcells to go balls deep with Glenn Foley (actually that was his plan even with Testaverde). Also he has a pretty significant track record of having guys do better before playing for Parcells, and after getting away from Parcells.

He was a good head coach, and I was thankful for the dramatic turnover, but ultimately he made a few too many bad moves that killed us in the end, favoring "Parcells guys" over better or more productive and more talented players, and then quit on the team that offered him anything he wanted, where he was very much viewed as a deity of sorts. And while I have no delusions of Ryan being some near-perfect HC, the criticisms of his lack of developing players should go ten-fold for Parcells, given the tremendous success that so many had away from him compared to with him.

Further, I could argue his intention was to sabotage the team on his way out, so there would be this stark dropoff after his departure, ensuring that his 3-year stint were the glory years. Moves like recommending Bradway as GM to Woody, who could say no to anything Tuna ever asked; trading Keyshawn to Tampa, where he intended to coach a year later; handing out ludicrous contracts to players/buddies like Cox who were clearly unworthy of the amounts offered at that stage of their careers; and he was going to take Tannenbaum with him to be his puppet GM in Tampa because Parcells saw him as a great asset.

I'd probably look back on his time here more fondly if not for this unworthy deity status.

Trying a bit hard here.

Trying a bit hard here.

Find one untrue part of my post.

Besides, you're the one who's king of "anyone good under Ryan would have been good for anyone else; anyone bad would have also been good for anyone else."  Meanwhile it's easy to make a long list of guys who were better without Parcells than with him, not to mention the long list of high draft picks who he "failed to develop" as their coach.

Find one untrue part of my post.

Besides, you're the one who's king of "anyone good under Ryan would have been good for anyone else; anyone bad would have also been good for anyone else." Meanwhile it's easy to make a long list of guys who were better without Parcells than with him, not to mention the long list of high draft picks who he "failed to develop" as their coach.

I don't know why you and slats think it's a worthwhile exercise to compare Rex to Parcells, especially given how quick you guys are to exonerate Rex from responsibility for any and all personnel decisions while simultaneously acknowledging that Parcells had to rebuild the entire franchise from the ground up. Rex "got as far" as Parcells in the same way that Barry Switzer "got as far" as Jimmy Johnson. It's ludicrous. You're far better off arguing Rex's alleged merits without trying to go full revisionist on the Parcells Era.

Parcells refusing to beg Manning to come here, meas he's cow poop as far as I'm concerned.

It is no surprise that a dirtbag like Shame worships a dirtbag like Parcells

I thought the story was that Parcells called Peyton Manning's mother a dirty whore and promised Ryan Leaf he'd be the pick?

Parcells refusing to beg Manning to come here, meas he's cow poop as far as I'm concerned. 

It is no surprise that a dirtbag like Shame worships a dirtbag like Parcells

archie is on record as the whole "peyton would have come out if parcells promised me he wouldn't trade the pick" is non-sense

it's a good myth tho

archie is on record as the whole "peyton would have come out if parcells promised me he wouldn't trade the pick" is non-sense

it's a good myth tho

Saving Parcells rep in retrospect

it's a good myth tho

Kind of like how it's a myth that Eli refused to play for the Chargers when he was coming out. #revisionisthistory

what is the original source of the myth ?

From the Tuna himself:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-09/sports/1997068188_1_bill-parcells-archie-manning-peyton

Additional genius is mentioned in the article, in that the Jets didn't take Orlando Pace, but traded down and then passed on Walter Jones by trading down again until they picked Farrior who didn't even really start for the fat ****. If you are counting that is two HOF left tackles passed on for a guy that didn't succeed until he left.  Take with all those extra picks?  Farrior, Rick Terry, Dedric Ward, Terry Day, Leon Johnson, Lamont Burns, Raymond Austin, Tim Scharf, Chuck Clements, Steve Rosga and Jason Ferguson.  2 never played, 3 never made it to year 2,  Ferguson is the only one that was truly effective for the Jets.  Farrior was fair.  Dedric Ward and Leon Johnson were the only two that could even be considered players.  

From the Tuna himself:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-09/sports/1997068188_1_bill-parcells-archie-manning-peyton

Additional genius is mentioned in the article, in that the Jets didn't take Orlando Pace, but traded down and then passed on Walter Jones by trading down again until they picked Farrior who didn't even really start for the fat ****. If you are counting that is two HOF left tackles passed on for a guy that didn't succeed until he left.  Take with all those extra picks?  Farrior, Rick Terry, Dedric Ward, Terry Day, Leon Johnson, Lamont Burns, Raymond Austin, Tim Scharf, Chuck Clements, Steve Rosga and Jason Ferguson.  2 never played, 3 never made it to year 2,  Ferguson is the only one that was truly effective for the Jets.  Farrior was fair.  Dedric Ward and Leon Johnson were the only two that could even be considered players.  

"There was an indication they really liked Peyton, and he seemed certain that Peyton would be the first pick, but I wasn't inclined to ask him in February if he was definitely going to take Peyton," Archie Manning said.

The surprising thing is that Parcells didn't tell him that he'd pick Manning and keep him.

"Archie called me one time, but it never got to a situation where we got to discussing it. I've known Archie quite a while. We spoke one time and that was it. I never really got into it too much about Peyton. We just talked about certain situations.

"I had no sense of what he was going to do and I wasn't trying to find out," Parcells said.

Parcells probably didn't want to promise Manning that he wouldn't tradeicon1.png him in case he got a blockbuster offer. But he risked Manning's not coming out, and that's what happened.

Manning obviously figured if there was a chance he'd get traded somewhere he didn't want to go, he'd stay in school and take his chances next year.

Of course, there's no guarantee Manning would have come out even if Parcells had promised not to trade him. But it was strange for Parcells not to even make a pitch for him.

"Quite frankly, I hadn't given it too much thought," Parcells said. "I'm too busy trying solve some of the other problems I have here right now."

It's hard to imagine what's more important than a shot at the decade's best quarterback prospect. It's not as if this draft is loaded with prospects. The next highest-rated player is left tackle Orlando Pace, but the last time an offensive lineman was taken with the first selection was in 1968, when the Minnesota Vikings picked Ron Yary.

it doesn't say anywhere in there that archie told parcells peyton would stay in school unless he was guaranteed parcells wouldn't trade the pick.  that is a myth

but the part about parcells not begging archie to have peyton come out is true.  I didn't know that.

if the bolded part is true, anybody who thinks parcells is a good NFL GM is high

it doesn't say anywhere in there that archie told parcells peyton would stay in school unless he was guaranteed parcells wouldn't trade the pick.  that is a myth

but the part about parcells not begging archie to have peyton come out is true.  I didn't know that.

if the bolded part is true, anybody who thinks parcells is a good NFL GM is high

Parcells and Manning sr were friends, it really isn't too far of a leap to think that had Parcells been jumping at the chance to coach Peyton that he would've have come out.

Archived