Johnson On Johnson

JetNation

Sometimes a few words can be powerful. This is often the case when a sports star makes their opinion known on Twitter.  On Tuesday New York Jets running back Chris Johnson tweeted that the Jets should bring in Andre Johnson. At least that is what I think he tweeted. You can decide for yourself.

This is all speculation of course, since Andre Johnson is still under contract to the Houston Texans.  Since Johnson isn’t at OTAs, that is adding fuel to the fire.

Johnson has not attended any of the Texans’ offseason program, which began April 7. He made it clear to the team that he was unhappy prior to speaking publicly about it.

What exactly Johnson wants changed isn’t clear. When he spoke two weeks ago at a charity event, Johnson said he wondered if Houston was the right place for him but added that he hadn’t requested a trade or spoken to anyone about his contract.

Andre Johnson is 32 years old and it is an extreme long shot that the Jets would pull the trigger on a move like this. Take a look at his stats though, when you see 12,261 receiving yards you have to at least consider making this move.

Jason Fitzgerald breaks down the salary cap implications on OverTheCap.com:

Johnson carries a salary cap charge in 2014 of $15,644,583 and a cash contract value of $11 million. If traded before June 1, Johnson’s cap charge for the Texans would be $11,964,166 representing a savings of $3,680,417 against the cap. If traded after June 1 the Texans would take a $4.644 million cap charge in 2014 and a $7.319 million charge in 2015. In either scenario the trade would help rather than hurt the Texans salary cap.

The more difficult aspect of the trade is to find a trade partner. Johnson has $34.5 million remaining on his contract, a huge number for a player that is about to turn 33 years old. While Johnson plays at a far higher level than his peers at that age, players like Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker are working for $6 million a season. To complicate matters Johnson would likely want an extension or some type of guarantee on his contract.

I don't think he would want an extension I think he just wants out of Houston. He is certainly big and strong enough to be very productive in his mid 30's. Having Johnson Decker Kerley and Amaro and solid depth with Cumberland and possibly Hill if he is used properly would certainly change how teams prepare for us and it would make us very solid all around on offense. Teams would have to respect our passing game and that should really open things up for the Running game and the play action pass. I still feel like we have a slight hole at the WR position Johnson would fit very nicely. With Johnson here and Decker I'm sure some of their play and techniques would rub off on Hill who could then be used as a pure burner in certain situations. This move would give Mornhinwig a ton of options on offense the Key is can Geno deliver ? Johnson could be the Key to making this offense a real all around threat

Not gonna happen. Too much cap space to lose for a player at age 32 and the Texans would want a 1st round pick in trade. If the Texans ask for a 4th rounder and Johnson was willing to reduce his contract then I say pull the trigger but that ain't happening.  

LL

The only scenario in which I see Johnson on the Jets is if he somehow manages to get himself cut from the Texans. Other then that I don't see us trading for him considering his salary, age, and what the Texans would be demanding.

Not meant to be a shot at you guys but i dont see why Andre would want to come to jets, and that is not meant as disrespect, i  think the jets are a pretty solid team with some nice young players and some players with potential, but everythin i have seen is that andre doesnt care about money, he wants a winner, so i think he would only try and get a trade if a team like the patriots, saints, panthers or teams that were in playoffs last year come asking about his availabilty

I should also add to that, that i think he would most likely want to play for an established qb and not possibly have qb switches during the year

something that wont happen with Brady Brees, Newton, and so on

Not meant to be a shot at you guys but i dont see why Andre would want to come to jets, and that is not meant as disrespect, i think the jets are a pretty solid team with some nice young players and some players with potential, but everythin i have seen is that andre doesnt care about money, he wants a winner, so i think he would only try and get a trade if a team like the patriots, saints, panthers or teams that were in playoffs last year come asking about his availabilty

I should also add to that, that i think he would most likely want to play for an established qb and not possibly have qb switches during the year

something that wont happen with Brady Brees, Newton, and so on

Fact of the matter is none of those teams have money. Pats blew all their money on Revis, saints blew all money on byrd, and the panthers didn't even have enough money to resign brandon lafell and keep steve smith, their best wr ever.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't think the Jets would be Johnson's first choice or even his fifth choice. But money wise, there are very few options that would work without doing something very creative other then the Jets.

I really see Johnson going nowhere. He has a big contract, is aging, and played well enough for the texans to demand a high price. All those factors lead me to believe that Johnson is stuck in Houston and will be unhappy.

Fact of the matter is none of those teams have money. Pats blew all their money on Revis, saints blew all money on byrd, and the panthers didn't even have enough money to resign brandon lafell and keep steve smith, their best wr ever.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't think the Jets would be Johnson's first choice or even his fifth choice. But money wise, there are very few options that would work without doing something very creative other then the Jets.

I really see Johnson going nowhere. He has a big contract, is aging, and played well enough for the texans to demand a high price. All those factors lead me to believe that Johnson is stuck in Houston and will be unhappy.

thats fair, i just figured with the way some of these teams have pushed the cap hits down the way a little(Broncos for when peyton retires) i figure teams like pats saints would be the teams that may take the chance nd eat the cap hits down the road when brady is gone and or brees is on decline,

however i also believe that andre stays put and in a few weeks wether he gets an extension or what not when he reports to texans camp he will talk about hes never wanted to leave, he loves this team and wants to retire a texan, blah blah blah PR

Archived